Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40% would prefer non-Christian school - Equate Ireland

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

I thought it was cause she didn't want undesirables in her kids class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The priest is there to baptise children into Catholicism, which is an act that he considers sacred, he's not making sandwiches. If you feel that my pointing out that you have lied and cheated equates to you being despicable; well you said it, not me.

I'll secure the best education I can for my children. If I have to fight for them to receive schooling without indoctrination, that's what I'll do. What I will not do is stand in front of my friends and family and make a liar and a hypocrite of myself by pretending to believe something I do not.

If everyone who, like you, got their child baptised just for a school place hadn't done that we'd probably already have a secular school system, or at the very least RCC schools would have to rethink their discriminatory enrolment policies because a fraction of the children in the school would be baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

kylith wrote: »
    The priest is there to baptise children into Catholicism, which is an act that he considers sacred, he's not making sandwiches. If you feel that my pointing out that you have lied and cheated equates to you being despicable; well you said it, not me.

Jaysus, it must be about 3 days ago now that I pointed out we are the ones with more respect for religion as we take people's beliefs more seriously than Mary does.

otpmb wrote: »
    I thought it was cause she didn't want undesirables in her kids class.

Yeah, there was a lot of that. It was all very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Mary63 wrote: »
    I don't like other peoples children much .

That much is obvious....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The priest is there to provide a service for me and I pay him for that.Its not up to him to question my reasons for wanting my child baptised and I wouldn't answer any impertinent questions from any clergy.

There is nothing deceitful about being an a la carte type of person when it comes to religion,as I have said already all religions,all churches,all graveyards which I love are all the same to me.I always visit churches when I go on holidays and I wouldn't have a clue which type they are,its the atmosphere and the buildings themselves I like.

Stop making me out to be a despicable person just because you can't have what you want,get organised and organise mass protests in the city centre,march on the Dail,march on the local church and on your children's schools.

Is the reason you aren't doing this because your numbers will look like a queue for a bus stop.

I did what I had to do kylith and i will make sure my children do it for their children too,I couldn't live with my conscience if I did anything less.

Is disrespectful attitudes towards religions taught in faith schools? Or is it all about being nice and playing fair as you said earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I haven't lied and cheated at all MrPudding,where did you read that I have.

I haven't gamed any system,I have done what all good parents do and that is make sure their children get into a good school.I can baptise my child if I want to and its none of your business why i choose to do so.You put yourself outside the bubble because you want to go against the majority,you have to accept the consequences of that and there is no point in abusing me because I took a different view than you because my priorities are different to yours.Your principles are yours and yours alone,they aren't my principles so why are you up on your judgmental horse character assassinating me.
    You do know that we actually read what you post, don't you?

As Delirium points out above, you yourself have said exactly what you would do, and that is lie, cheat and game the system.

I will accept the consequences of my actions. So far those consequences have been nothing but positive, but I am living in England now so it is a little easier for me. That said, I was surprised at the number of people suggesting I should send my kids to the local catholic school.

As to why I am character assassinating you, really? You are doing that all by yourself.

I refuse to play your little antics and its you who is filled with bile against the churches in this country and not me.
    I am not sure what I have said in this thread that would make you form this view. Whilst it is true I am not particularly keen on any church or any religion, the points being raised in this thread stand, I believe, independently of that.
    I recognise there are a few bad apples in the church but laying the blame for the magdalen laundries at the current priests is a bit pointless,most of the clergy are really good decent people who do nothing but good all their lives.
    Not relevant to this point.
    Im not keen on us taking in wave after wave of Muslim immigrants,thats true.
    I have about as much love for the muslim religion as I do for catholisim, but I can separate the religion fomr the people.
    We have nothing to offer them
    Wow, you really are in the habit of speaking for others. So now you are speaking for immigrants and you know that Ireland has nothing to offer them...?
    and its the poorest among us who are going to have to share the most and this is going to lead to resentment very quickly.
    Share what and why must it lead to resentment?
    It won't affect me because I don't live in a disadvantaged area or in an isolated rural location so I won't have disgruntled immigrants with nothing to do all day living beside me.
    So what are you complaining about, "I'm alright jack" seems to be your main philosophy in life...
    We are going to take them in because it makes us look noble and then we will house them in Tramore or in Clonmel and then forget about them,ask the people who have been living here for nine years in direct provision all about it.
    We are going to take them in because it is the right thing to do. It saddens me that you don't understand that.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I am just popping in now and again to see if the thread has got any more on topic, doesn't look like it is going to. I find it rather depressing tbh. If it is not going to be tidied up I think it should be closed, it isn't going anywhere and is just a vehicle for bile and cynicism.

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, I am just popping in now and again to see if the thread has got any more on topic, doesn't look like it is going to. I find it rather depressing tbh. If it is not going to be tidied up I think it should be closed, it isn't going anywhere and is just a vehicle for bile and cynicism.

You're quite right. I have been less restrained than yourself and have voyeuristically (spelling?) been entertaining all this and also stirring the proverbial just to see what happened. Hope I haven't contributed to anyone else's impending ulcer but my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The priest is there to provide a service for me and I pay him for that.Its not up to him to question my reasons for wanting my child baptised and I wouldn't answer any impertinent questions from any clergy.

Er, actually, he's not, you request your child to become part of the Catholic family and you agree to a number of things on your child's behalf when you do so.

His questions are actually pretty pertinent indeed.

It is a ridiculous system to have to swear your honour and worship to a god (and worse, that of your child) that you don't believe in, for the sake of something essential that -should not- be bound to it. Would you consider it reasonable to have to say "I worship the Christian God Jehovah" any time you wanted to buy bread in the shop? How about swearing to a faith for the sake of water? Whatever about -doing- it, to do it and sneer at the people that want to change the system because it's benefiting you as a "Catholic", meh, that doesn't sit well at all with me.

A religion should be a matter of free choice for an individual based on their beliefs. It shouldn't be pushed on someone, and it certainly shouldn't be pushed onto someone for reasons that shouldn't be bound to it - be it education, food, water, survival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Not fun anymore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

looksee wrote: »
    If it is not going to be tidied up I think it should be closed, it isn't going anywhere and is just a vehicle for bile and cynicism.
    While it's interesting to see that people are prepared to admit they're gaming the system, or at least prepared to think that they are, it's producing nothing but upset and annoyance during a time of the year when the opposite would be better.

Thread closed -- perhaps temporarily -- to allow balances to be restored, karmas to be straightened and spirits broadly lifted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement