Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for long commute?

Options
  • 09-12-2015 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I wonder what car one should have that gives maximum comfort for a long commute (2 hours 110 miles return) and can also fit in the budget of 5k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

maskabun wrote: »
    I wonder what car one should have that gives maximum comfort for a long commute (2 hours 110 miles return) and can also fit in the budget.

I would say it largely depends on what the budget is.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭maskabun

Ant695 wrote: »
    I would say it largely depends on what the budget is.

Budget is 5k, I have modified the description mentioning that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Six speed ( more power in then standard) Renault Megane diesel , 60 plus mpg and good value if you can live with the electronic glitches ( keys, window reg and motors, fuse boxes, bad earths )which make them good value.
    Comfortable safe and cheap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A big car with a diesel engine I'd suggest. To maximise comfort I'd look for leather seats, good a/c, cruise control, good lights and a quality stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Main forum -> Buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Volvo V70 or the Saloon/coupe versions C70 S80.

Why?

Orthopaedic heated seats.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Something big and cruisy with a 7sp auto box.
    Nice comfy seats and a place where you are comfy to sit with decent Sound system and climate control.
    My E 280 has all of the above and a recent round trip from North Dublin to Ballina and an Easter trip to Tralee was done in comfort and arrived fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

If you are in any way tall keep an eye out for a high ceiling.

I overlooked this and find some journeys uncomfortable.

Also an arm rest is a must for me, although others hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

trend: big cars.

why?

built with more and better stuff, longer wheelbase allows bigger seats, which are better for you.

problem: hard to return to ordinary cars after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big cars usually have higher levels of comfort and refinement, downside is that they tend to have engines that have above average rates of motor tax.

This would be ideal if you can accept the motor tax:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5-sport-with-leather-nct-2017/10016768

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Mk4 Mondeo is a very decent long distance car, the 2.0tdci is a better engine than the 1.6 and has enough punch to be able to cruise economically.
    Running gear is strong and should be easy to keep.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-2009-2-0-tdci-zetec/11079136?offset=1

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Mk4 Mondeo is a very decent long distance car, the 2.0tdci is a better engine than the 1.6 and has enough punch to be able to cruise economically.
    Running gear is strong and should be easy to keep.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-2009-2-0-tdci-zetec/11079136?offset=1

You'd definitely get a 2008+ model (cheaper tax) of that Mondeo with your budget, they are a great car, economical and reliable.

I wouldnt go for that one thats in the link though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You'd definitely get a 2008+ model (cheaper tax) of that Mondeo with your budget, they are a great car, economical and reliable.

I wouldnt go for that one thats in the link though. ;)
    Do you know that car?
    Poor enough photo's that would make me wonder what the rest of the car is like.
    I am looking for an estate version myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Do you know that car?
    Poor enough photo's that would make me wonder what the rest of the car is like.
    I am looking for an estate version myself.

Seems that the ad was taken down by the seller.. High mileage, seemed to be in poor condition, UK import and was an ex-taxi.

We have the 1.8TDCI one here at home and its often used for long commutes and we cannot say a bad word about it. Its going for NCT soon and im considering buying it from my parents after is passes as they have their eye on a new car.

OP have you considered a Volkswagen Passat 1.9tdi? Would be a good car but I doubt you'd get a 2008+ model within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

all depends if op wants to pay high tax for a bigger car or try stay small

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭maskabun

OP have you considered a Volkswagen Passat 1.9tdi? Would be a good car but I doubt you'd get a 2008+ model within your budget.

Which one, Passat saloon or estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

A High spec'd diesel Mondeo would be my #1 choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey op, just saw the below 525d asking E3500 but open to offers...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw/11085053

that would be a nice cruiser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Full leather Audi A6 they are solid as a rock and really comfy. Will do high mileage and you wont have major problems with it.....

Advertisement