Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arthriaid or Luposan

• 09-12-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I have a 9 year old cocker with arthritis. It's not severe enough for medication at the moment so the vet recommended Arthriaid which I do find helps her. It's quite expensive, but I can get it much cheaper from the UK. I've read a few posts here recommending Luposan and wonder would it be better? Or could I give her both? I'm keen to keep her off painkillers for as long as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ncmc wrote: »
    I have a 9 year old cocker with arthritis. It's not severe enough for medication at the moment so the vet recommended Arthriaid which I do find helps her. It's quite expensive, but I can get it much cheaper from the UK. I've read a few posts here recommending Luposan and wonder would it be better? Or could I give her both? I'm keen to keep her off painkillers for as long as possible.

Hi there,

I have a nearly 11 year old cocker and give him the Luposan pellets - they are extra strong / high concentration.

He has had bad shoulders since he was around 7 or so due to running 30km with me a week.

my vet did recommend Arthraid - both the chews and the tablets, i did use them for a few months but didnt see any improvement. to be honest a vet will recommend what he / she sells and thats it.

after a few recommendatins on here i moved him onto the Luposan pellets and he's been on them around 2.5 years and i find them great. Personally i wouldnt bother with the Arthaid, its expensive and i didnt see much difference in my cocker.

Op i would also consider adding some salmon oil to your cockers food, great for joints plus coat etc.

Here's what i get:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129097

I get the large in the oil and the medium size in the pellets and they last me 7-8 months, so def worth it IMO

Also check out YUMOVE ive heard great reports haven't tried it myself yet but its supposed to be great too!

HTH

Edited to say when my guy was 9 my vet told me he would need injections into the joints shortly to help him.. but with the pellets and oil he is flying around not a bother on him, and hopefully i can keep him fit and healthy as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thank you cocker5, I think it was you that recommended the Luposan before. It sounds great. You might remember before I posted about my cocker growling at my toddler. I think she has improved a bit since I started giving her the arthriaid everyday as opposed to whenever I remembered! So maybe she was in a bit of pain and that was aggravating the situation. So I will definitely try the Luposan when my current batch of arthriaid runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ncmc wrote: »
    Thank you cocker5, I think it was you that recommended the Luposan before. It sounds great. You might remember before I posted about my cocker growling at my toddler. I think she has improved a bit since I started giving her the arthriaid everyday as opposed to whenever I remembered! So maybe she was in a bit of pain and that was aggravating the situation. So I will definitely try the Luposan when my current batch of arthriaid runs out.

yes i do remember.. she is the blonde bomb shell cocker :D

I'm glad things have started to improve, fair play OP for sticking with her ... lots of growling / snapping may be avoided with a vet visit etc

a good few people on here also recommend YUMOVE it is meant to be excellent, so maybe google it? I have heard great things. The salmon oil will also help wit her joints too.

I'm sure a few posters will be on and will give their opinions of YUMOVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's an individual thing as to what works best I think? I had been giving Luposan and Flexicose and decided to switch from Flexicose to YuMove after hearing how well a friend's dog was doing at it and also because it's a pain to get hold off - ordering a years supply at once etc. Bailey was showing signs of stiffness all of a sudden and the YuMove seemed to stop it in it's tracks... but a combination of running wild after squirrels and pulling muscles freeing himself after he got caught in brambles swimming a couple of weeks ago lead to pulled muscles so back to being stiff in the evenings. I've stared him on turmeric golden paste again - this time made with olive oil to see if it stops him stinking of cat wee but too soon to see any results.

Advertisement