Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I transfer messages from my old iPhone to my new one?

• 09-12-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 6.

Is there any way to transfer all my text messages from my old phone to the new one?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes do a complete backup usigin itunes then restore it to your new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yes do a complete backup usigin itunes then restore it to your new phone.

I'm not sure I know how to do that but I'll fiddle around and work it out!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When setting up the new phone it'll ask you if you want to restore from your previous phone's backup. Assuming you don't skip this step, and didn't disable iCloud on your old phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

If you still have the old Iphone connect it to the computer and do a back-up in itunes, connect the new phone, do a restore and select the back from old iphone.

Or check Setting on old iphone and do a Icloud back-up (you only have 5GB of icloud storage), after do as Sad Professor mentions above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Would anyone mind explaining, as if to a 5 year old idiot, how I actually do a back-up in iTunes?

I apologise for my annoying lack of knowledge, I know I sound incredibly dim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If possible (i.e. you have enough free space) I would do an iCloud backup and leave iTunes out of it.

On your old iPhone: Settings > iCloud > Backup > Backup now. Do note, however, that this backup won’t include any media content on the device (music, movies, tv shows).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Would anyone mind explaining, as if to a 5 year old idiot, how I actually do a back-up in iTunes?

Here a couple of guides, Backup and restore

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kcsembos

You can go to Settings->iCloud and select the content you need to be backed up. Text messages are backed up automatically (if you have auto backup enabled). Once you setup your new iPhone, do a restore from iCloud and you'll get all messages, contacts, notes etc. It's much easier to enable backup of everything through iCloud (except music perhaps), because it restores your data on whichever iDevice you use your account in (it asks first).

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Just an FYI for anyone in the same boat. I've been asked numerous times by colleagues why they cant download any more apps. Storage space, on a 16GB or worse still, the dreaded 8GB 5C, is usually jammed with photos. Just 2 tips:

Turn off HDR (this in effect saves 2 images to the internal storage which you will not need).

Secondly, and most importantly, ensure, 'optimize iphone storage' option is selected in the icloud/photos menu. This will ensure that full res pics are dumped your cloud storage but a reduced file size is kept locally. If I remember correctly, this shrinks the photos to about a 10% footprint of their initial size on the handset memory, freeing up valuable space. And the quality of the photo is not diminished visually in any way for viewing purposes.

Advertisement