Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attending Christmas party after funeral

• 09-12-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what the response is going to be from me asking but here goes...

My cousin passed away on Monday - I wasn't particularly close to him, would see him at family functions (weddings\funerals\etc.) and chat to him at these - his funeral is on Thursday morning and of course I'll be going to it (I'll be going to the rosary this evening too actually) but out of respect should I miss my work Christmas party on Friday evening?

I feel guilty for thinking about still going, but like I said I wasn't particularly close to him. I normally enjoy my work get togethers and its been a hard\busy year in work....I'm a little torn about it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Go, enjoy yourself. Just don't let people at the funeral know that you're going on the tear that night. Having a few quiet drinks with some pals is very understandable this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

Not at all, go to the party. It's the next day. Life goes on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

My condolences, first of all, on the loss of your cousin.

I would see nothing wrong at all, in going to your Christmas party, in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

No need to skip the Christmas party (had it been on the same day then obviously you know you would have had to skip it!!)

Sorry for your loss and keep your chin up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Thanks all - I've been feeling really bad for contemplating about going....when I think about his wife and their 2 year old, and all that...very sad indeed. He was the same age as me (mid-thirties) and having young kids myself, thats the bit that cuts me up - leaving a child behind at such a young age, not seeing them grow up...gets me everytime.

But thanks for your comments, makes me feel a little better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I would go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think so, it's not like you will miss the funeral itself.

Advertisement