Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain & Continuing Flood Risk - Saturday Dec 12th, 2015

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy pulse of rain in Waterford now. Heaviest all morning.

Has brought the total since midnight to 23.6mm and temp also starting to drop.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Our rain has finally stopped in Dunboyne. This is definitely our worst flooding around the house in the 15 years we've lived here.
    Those who've said 35mm of rain for Dublin... well this looks much heavier. Unless what we have here today is the result of last week's accumulation.
    But look, im thankful. It's all outside my door without any real risk it was ever going to come inside. I know there are '000s in the country who would love my complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The front yard atm. Comes across the road from a field. Still people flying through the floods. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Bandon Flood Warning Status changed to Orange/Serious Flooding.
    The river Sally a tributary of the river Bandon has broke it's banks again. lots of minor roads round Dunmanway starting to flood.
    This is a picture of the Sally

The river is about 20 cm lower than it was at the same time a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Radar intensifying if anything across southern parts.
    The orange alert should have remained both here and with Met Eireann.
    Cork will see non stop rain between now and tomorrow morning giving upwards of 3 inches.
    My view of what the charts are saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Heavy pulse of rain in Waterford now. Heaviest all morning.

METAR EIWF 121430Z 30015G29KT 240V350 3000 +RA BKN007 11/11 Q1008 R21/2/////=

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Call me Al wrote: »
    Our rain has finally stopped in Dunboyne. This is definitely our worst flooding around the house in the 15 years we've lived here.
    Those who've said 35mm of rain for Dublin... well this looks much heavier. Unless what we have here today is the result of last week's accumulation.
    But look, im thankful. It's all outside my door without any real risk it was ever going to come inside. I know there are '000s in the country who would love my complaint.

Im in the same boat (excuse the pun) as you, it'll never come in the house and will drain away in a couple of hours when it stops flowing in from the field, the nosey neighbours makes it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temp in Waterford has dropped a nice 5.2c in the past 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The bottom of our garden is completely water logged at the back after todays rain (D15). Its only standing water from the rain as theres a slight slope but the back lawn is like a wet sponge after all the recent rain. The next door neighbours have an even bigger pool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

The river Sally a tributary of the river Bandon has broke it's banks again.....

Would this take some of the pressure off the Bandon further downstream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God I feel for those affected. There must be little worse than your home being sodden.

I live at the top of a hill. No floods, but when the wind blows..... Still I hope things will improve quickly for those affected. No good time of course, but around Christmas is pretty bad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Had to go over to Swords from Ashbourne this morning, roads were not a lot of fun, a lot of water on and flowing over the road, minor roads a lot of water, and the main road down the Broadmeadow valley was very poor. Rolestown has 2" of water outside the old school, and several other places close by are slightly less.

We had a short term panic here in Ashbourne this afternoon as a result of tree prunings being caught on the grid on our stream, so we had 18" of "spare" capacity, and 15 minutes later, it was overtopping the grid. There's a wall between us and the stream, but once it's out of the channel, it's at our floor level, so that got our attention, I had to abandon the job I was doing in Swords to get home.

Was sorted by the time I got here, neighbours and a friend were on hand, and used a scaffold pole to get the debris out, (it bent due to the force of the water!!), and we're back to having spare capacity again. I just wish there was an easy way to get the morons that use the river as a cheap rubbish disposal system prosecuted for criminal damage, but the chances of our spineless politicians doing anything about this sort of problem is unfortunately less than zero, they won't even think about something that might make them even more unpopular than they already are. So, as a result, people like us are at risk of massive damage due to the ignorance and penny pinching of A****holes that think a river is a cheap waste disposal service.

Going to go and repair the rake we use to get debris off the grid, the handle broke earlier and the local hardware store only had cheap and nasty plastic ones in stock, which won't shift a few leaves, let alone the sort of garbage that gets fcuked in the stream.

I reckon based on a reasonable guess that we've had between 30 and 35 mm of rain here, fortunately, it's stopped for now, which will give the river chance to clear some of the backlog.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Had to go over to Swords from Ashbourne this morning, roads were not a lot of fun, a lot of water on and flowing over the road, minor roads a lot of water, and the main road down the Broadmeadow valley was very poor. Rolestown has 2" of water outside the old school, and several other places close by are slightly less.

We had a short term panic here in Ashbourne this afternoon as a result of tree prunings being caught on the grid on our stream, so we had 18" of "spare" capacity, and 15 minutes later, it was overtopping the grid. There's a wall between us and the stream, but once it's out of the channel, it's at our floor level, so that got our attention, I had to abandon the job I was doing in Swords to get home.

Was sorted by the time I got here, neighbours and a friend were on hand, and used a scaffold pole to get the debris out, (it bent due to the force of the water!!), and we're back to having spare capacity again. I just wish there was an easy way to get the morons that use the river as a cheap rubbish disposal system prosecuted for criminal damage, but the chances of our spineless politicians doing anything about this sort of problem is unfortunately less than zero, they won't even think about something that might make them even more unpopular than they already are. So, as a result, people like us are at risk of massive damage due to the ignorance and penny pinching of A****holes that think a river is a cheap waste disposal service.

Going to go and repair the rake we use to get debris off the grid, the handle broke earlier and the local hardware store only had cheap and nasty plastic ones in stock, which won't shift a few leaves, let alone the sort of garbage that gets fcuked in the stream.

I reckon based on a reasonable guess that we've had between 30 and 35 mm of rain here, fortunately, it's stopped for now, which will give the river chance to clear some of the backlog.

There's a fair flood right there at the Harristown corner of the road along the runway at Dublin, at the new radar tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

24hr prep totals up to 6pm today. Data from Ogimet, Met Eireann & Irish Weather Network.

371545.PNG

In general, wettest over the south and east.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Bandon is just under 2m now and still rising. Persistent light rain still falling over the catchment area with a band of more extensive rain expected to push up over the southwest after midnight.

s4Xu4nE.gif

Shannon still rising at Carrick :

http://waterlevel.ie/0000026324/0001/week/

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Did Met Eireann kinda get that wrong with the heaviest precipitation being in the east today rather than the west, good job takes some of the pressure of our western comrades.

I would think the rain totals fell in a shorter time frame then 24hrs, i know it started raining here around 1.30am this morning and stopped around the same time this afternoon, over 30m in 12hrs, crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

I would think the rain totals fell in a shorter time frame then 24hrs, i know it started raining here around 1.30am this morning and stopped around the same time this afternoon, over 30m in 12hrs, crazy stuff

:eek: :P

KathleenF wrote: »
    :eek: :P

sorry, meant to type mm's :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got off light here in Ardfert with 19.8mm since midnight , did get a few mm before midnight as the system made landfall. Stopped raining by 13.30.

Cork still to get a fair share of rainfall by tomorrow afternoon.

mb3g6mH.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bandon gauge is now at 2.3m and still rising. Light/moderate rain has persisted all day in the south. Not expected to clear for another 6-7 hours.

iSSilaP.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Electric13

Hi there! I'm really nervous with all the many roads that appear to be flooded as I have to drive from Cork to Birr next Friday. Any advice re the best route to avoid trouble?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Britain's worst weather 2015 is on channel 4 now.

Electric13 wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm really nervous with all the many roads that appear to be flooded as I have to drive from Cork to Birr next Friday. Any advice re the best route to avoid trouble?? Thanks
    The only realistic advice I could give would be to stick to the main roads & motorways, they're usually the last to flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lolie wrote: »
    Britain's worst weather 2015 is on channel 4 now.

Was just about to post it.Catch it on +1 aswell,a lot of good footage of the extremes that were had in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

zerks wrote: »
    Was just about to post it.Catch it on +1 aswell,a lot of good footage of the extremes that were had in the year.

Really enjoyed it, some nice footage alright.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Health Sciences building at the University of Limerick.. Getting quite close to the flood defence barrier now

GaNhBKr.jpg (taken earlier, couldn't get any snaps cos it's now dark)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

marno21 wrote: »
    The Health Sciences building at the University of Limerick.. Getting quite close to the flood defence barrier now

GaNhBKr.jpg (taken earlier, couldn't get any snaps cos it's now dark)

Flood defence barrier? Looks like a fence to me. Will have a look tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement