Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain & Continuing Flood Risk - Saturday Dec 12th, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

12Z ARPEGE has 100mm over the southwest by Monday.

whats the ARPEGE model about Maq and it's accuracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

GFS is still showing about 40-50mm within a 24 hour period in places where the ground is saturated. That will cause flooding even if it's a big step down from the huge totals shown yesterday.

Still, there will probably be further changes to come.

any drop in intensity is good news !
    keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ARPEGE is the French model, developed with ECMWF. It's claimed to have pretty good verification stats but I've only recently started looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thank god for the downgrades!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can we calm?

This thread is now bombarded by
    "WILL I HAVE RAIN AT MY EXACT LOCATION ON A TIME ON SATURDAY" when it has been stated that it really can't be pinpointed and "OMG THE RAIN BETTER GO NORTH" despite the rain going north causing bad problems for the already badly flooded north west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

It looks like the Corrib might not yet have peaked. At least at Dangan which isnt tidal anyway you can see that it is varying all the time going up and down but the overall trend seems to be up. It was higher today than I've seen it yet.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/week/

At 12:30 10/12/2015

Dangan 9.481m (highest since installed 1986)

29/11/2009

Dangan max 9.469m

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ME are going to put out warnings in the morning

Weather Advisory for Ireland

A spell of heavy rain is forecast for Saturday, mainly affecting Munster, Connacht and Leinster. Details of this event are still uncertain, follow up warnings will be issued during Friday morning.

Issued:Thursday 10 December 2015 17:00
    Valid:Saturday 12 December 2015 00:02 to Saturday 12 December 2015 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Weather Advisory for Ireland

A spell of heavy rain is forecast for Saturday, mainly affecting Munster, Connacht and Leinster. Details of this event are still uncertain, follow up warnings will be issued during Friday morning.

Issued:Thursday 10 December 2015 17:00
    Valid:Saturday 12 December 2015 00:02 to Saturday 12 December 2015 23:59
    That's sensible and exactly what we were calling for earlier ........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It looks like the Corrib might not yet have peaked. At least at Dangan which isnt tidal anyway you can see that it is varying all the time going up and down but the overall trend seems to be up. It was higher today than I've seen it yet.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/week/
    coleria wrote: »
    Nov 09 Max level at Angligham was 6.928m OD (Malin)

Latest data: Dec. 10, 2015, 3:45 p.m. (UTC / GMT) staff gauge level 1.838m. OD level 9.848m. Staff gauge zero is 8.010m above Poolbeg datum

Poolbeg OD -2.7m from Malin OD

Current level Angligham 7.148m OD (Malin) and increase of 200mm since 16:00 yesterday

and more rain to come,

I've never see the river Corrib this high.

The river is a more accurate guide to water levels. Wind direction can have a big effect on lake levels, southwesterly winds really pile the water up on the eastern side, so variations from day to day in wind direction can have a big effect on water level gauges on that side of the lake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

OfficeofPublicWorks Retweeted
    Clare County Council ‏@ClareCoCo 54m54 minutes ago
    We have issued a severe flood warning for all of County Clare in advance of potential heavy rainfall during Sat. http://clarecoconotices.ie/

12Z EURO4 sends the heavy rain into the southwest. 75mm shading there at noon Saturday, most of that falling in 12 hours. There's even a tiny dot of 100mm shading there if you look closely.

48 hours is as far as the model goes.

15121212_2_1012.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The weather on RTE now is warning of very wet weather Saturday and flooding mentioned. Really emphasised that Saturday will not be good.

More details in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Is El Nino influencing this extreme weather pattern. As a guy from Mitchelstown we only have to worry about winds here no matter how much rain comes down it doesn't flood with the exception of St Fanahan's well.

Main headline on Six One and it showed a snippet at start with Evelyn saying more heavy rainfall coming for Friday night and Saturday.

Glad to see Met Eireann issuing Advisories, much better step.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

km79 wrote: »
    Added at 11.19
    Our debate here started with my post at 10.20
    Maybe they are watching these forums :D

They are totally looking here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

so many people and there livelihoods ruined so close to christmas and worse to come for many more , sad to see.

The EURO4 is showing rainfall rates of 40mm+ within 6 hours in places. That's red warning criteria.

It could be overdoing it, it could be wrong. But that's what it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

EC 12z prep at 48hrs

371294.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

At times like this when it comes to warnings I think all forecasters should be reminded of Michael Fish.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Main headline on Six One and it showed a snippet at start with Evelyn saying more heavy rainfall coming for Friday night and Saturday.

Glad to see Met Eireann issuing Advisories, much better step.

Only a couple of days ago I recall that Evelyn C saying on the news that there was no more major rainfall events on the way for the forseeable. Just shows how unpredictable the weather can be even in this age of powerful supercomputers and NWP outputs.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Only a couple of days ago I recall that Evelyn C saying on the news that there was no more major rainfall events on the way for the forseeable. Just shows how unpredictable the weather can be even in this age of powerful supercomputers and NWP outputs.

At the moment the forseeable with respect to rainfall totals and further flooding potential is only just that, a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Latest NMM showing Clare, Galway and Westmeath bearing the brunt of the rain on Saturday.
    371295.png

so many people and there livelihoods ruined so close to christmas and worse to come for many more , sad to see.

My brothers house got flooded by the Slaney many years ago, I'll never forget the impact, it is hard to imagine unless you experience it :(

Is El Nino influencing this extreme weather pattern. As a guy from Mitchelstown we only have to worry about winds here no matter how much rain comes down it doesn't flood with the exception of St Fanahan's well.

I did some small research for an article on El Nino and Irish winters for IWO about a month ago. Basically I found that El Nino has little or no influence on weather on this side of the world. The below table shows the 'average' conditions for each month in Ireland during El Nino winters of varying strength, but even in each 'box, there is plenty of spread, particularity with lower strength Nino events as their sample rate is larger.

371296.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Latest NMM showing Clare, Galway and Westmeath bearing the brunt of the rain on Saturday.
    371295.png

Couple of hundred miles either way will make such a big difference. Think the west and Midlands most likely to be affected at this stage.

Net weather High Res Rainfall Accumulations up to Saturday 12:00
    viewimage.pbx-38.png

Iancar29 wrote: »
    371295.png

Of course if the GFS is wrong then these models that use the GFS as a parent model will also be wrong. Same goes with the EURO4 if the UKMO is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Then more rain for Monday according to Siobhan Ryan.

• Advertisement

Six One Weather
    image2-2.jpg
    image1-2.jpg
    image3-2.jpg
    image4-2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement