Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urinary Infections Cats

• 09-12-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭

Hello hello, I know I have asked regarding foods etc but just wondering how people have handled this.

So the dreaded urinary infections in male cats. The first time it happened we were thinking it was just a once or maybe and I gave him the good meat content, less salt food all that goes.

Second time was like, tis here again.. Now third/fourth time I just really don't know what to do...

The vet is saying it is stress related which I can see as there is another cat out in the gardens being a bit of a bully but unless we move house there is nothing we can do about this. Now we did go on holidays but again this is something that happens...

What is the long term help or what have people done with cats to try and prevent them or deal with them..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Havent had this problem, but if its stress related, could he become an indoors only cat? Could you put a sloping-inwards barrier around your fences to keep the other cat out of your garden? (There are photos of these on here somewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The vet food has kept it completely at bay for our fella. We stopped it once before, not realising exactly how important it was, and he ended up on a drip for four days. Never again!

He is an indoor cat though, so no external stresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah see I think I have the food down, as we use the vet food too. And this Cosma stuff which is like fresh chicken.. Even tasted it one day as it is like chicken strips and tis quite tasty :)..

We cant unfortunately do anything like that as we are renting, plus I think he actually goes looking for this other cat... I honestly think he stresses himself out with the other cats..

We did try to keep him indoors when we got him but it was a no go. He wanted to be out and that was the end of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What about feliway in the house to give him a nice calm happy feeling?

We use calm food with ours as they get stressed with the scent of each other (they live separate but parallel lives in the house but do meet outside, one is super confident and the other goes into lockdown and howls - but really the confident one doesnt do anything bad!). I dont think you can do anything about the cats that they meet outside. There is a ginger one outside ours who hugely bullies our scaredy cat, but then our confident cat terrifies ginger so thats just cats being cats as far as I can tell!

However, when our confident girl went into a cattery on our last holiday she came out and developed a sinus infection and the vet also said it was stress. So it might just be from you being on holiday that he developed it again?

we have the feliway too!! So we do.... That's what I think with the holidays but then we must head away.. Just a nightmare coming back to this all the time. the smell of cat pee now is just a killer, but I know he cant help it..

• Advertisement

There so fecking weird so they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Did your boy go to a cattery or get minded at home? I think the cattery is stressful.

He did in the end as I just could not do that to my parents but he had it before he went....Thank god he is begining to look and smell a little better.. Might actually get to destink the house soon. Just wish i knew more what to do to help him more or prevent it

Advertisement