Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gifts for men this Christmas

• 09-12-2015 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Ok lads, throw your ideas out to the floor. What would you like? What are you buying for other men? Let those among us who have no imagination find a bit of refuge in a nice list of links and suggestions!

I'll start with a gift I've bought a friend who lives in London... A once a month delivery (for 3 months) of a nice selection box of craft beer from https://www.flavourly.com which cost €81. Each box contains 8 bottles of different craft beers, a bottle opener and some snacks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Don't buy gifts for any blokes with the exception of my oul fella.

Got him a jumper and a pair of hunter welly socks. Hes a simple man with simple tastes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

smash wrote: »
    Ok lads, throw your ideas out to the floor. What would you like? What are you buying for other men? Let those among us who have no imagination find a bit of refuge in a nice list of links and suggestions!

I'll start with a gift I've bought a friend who lives in London... A once a month delivery (for 3 months) of a nice selection box of craft beer from https://www.flavourly.com which cost €81. Each box contains 8 bottles of different craft beers, a bottle opener and some snacks.

Great idea smash. I'd love a shipment once a month to keep me going in beers for the first few months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I got my father-in-law for the family Secret Santa. He exclaimed "whoever gets me, I want golf balls". Happy days :)

I got my Dad Eric Clapton Unplugged on Vinyl, and my brother is getting a guitar hanger.

There's lots that I want, but I don't like asking for things, just feels rude. So i'll be happy with whatever I get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I will buy a man bag for one of my man friend and the other a petrol voucher.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

THis thread reminded me that I need to buy the Ohs gift from his kids tomorrow to get it delivered.

They used buy him all sorts of tat, but now we kinda collaborate, so we are buying him a different coloured jumper of one that he has now and loves. I will then buy him a pair of jeans, and that's his Christmas outfit along with the stuff from his Santy presents (see below)

From me he is getting a couple of massage vouchers (he loves proper massages), all the alloys on his car are being refurbed, and then I have the Santy presents, a weird tradition he has with his kids.

The Santy presents will include ****e like socks and jocks, a book on the Who, a music magazine that is about 17 euro that he reads in shops but never buys, aftershave, and toiletries, so not very exciting, but it's tradition.

It probably sounds a bit sad, but given that I met him when his kids were late teens, I think it's kinda cool that we even have the little traditions we do :) and that they fit with what he used do with them when he was single.

No mention of booze as he doesn't drink :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Delta Echo Charlie

Trip to Leeds for my old man to watch the mighty white gods and get ****faced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Philip Kerr has a serious of football based thrillers, mostly set around the premiership could be a good present for someone who likes thrillers and is a football nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I got one brother some Star Wars figures (he's 27, but autistic so still gets toys for Christmas!) and a Chelsea dressing gown for the other one. I got my boyfriend some ab trainer machine thing, probably be a complete waste of money.

OP - the craft beer delivery thing looks great, might get that for Valentines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mackman wrote: »

There's lots that I want, but I don't like asking for things, just feels rude. So i'll be happy with whatever I get.

I would love to hear what guys want. I am completely stumped with husband.
    He's a diy type, likes hunting, fishing, hiking, cycling. I dont want to buy him a gadget. We already have heaps of good whiskeys and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

You could always look at different experiences like rally driving, etc. Take a look at this site and see if you think anything might do the job. Or see whatever google suggests.

Or Teelings Distillery do a nice tour - OK it's fairly short but . . . whiskey! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

fits wrote: »
    I would love to hear what guys want. I am completely stumped with husband.
    He's a diy type, likes hunting, fishing, hiking, cycling. I dont want to buy him a gadget. We already have heaps of good whiskeys and the likes.

Hunting knife? Voucher for an out doorsy style shop like http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/ ?

We have good hunting knives already. Prefer not to get him a voucher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How about a barbour coat? Very expensive but they will last a lifetime.

http://www.arnotts.ie/barbour-cullen-wax-jacket-green/398808/150140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

We have good hunting knives already. Prefer not to get him a voucher

What kind of hunting does he do? If rough shooting for pheasants and ducks and the likes a pair of hunter wellies or of he is stalking deer a pair of meindl drove extreme boots or the like will go down a treat!

http://eu.hunterboots.com/womens-tall-wellingtons/womens-original-neoprene-lined-wellington-boots/green/1946

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/dovre-extreme-gtx

Just back from shopping for my brothers, got one a nice leather wallet because his current one is old and the other a pair of brown leather gloves, think i did well. ...

Rough shooting. I bought him good aigle wellingtons a couple of years ago. Barbour jacket is not a bad idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Rough shooting. I bought him good aigle wellingtons a couple of years ago. Barbour jacket is not a bad idea though.

Get him a schoffel shooting coat, miles better than a Barbour.

Aaagh, I already bought a barbour. To be fair he wants it for general use more than for the shooting.

Just checked the schoffel out. Pricey enough! Look good alright though.

Advertisement