Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory lane

Options
  • 09-12-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

As a kid we wired our Xmas tree lights into a light socket. The connection was like a bulb so fitted perfectly into the bulb holder but had a part to put the Xmas tree lights into it and screw them in place. The lights were then worked from the light switch.

Anyone know what this connector is or was called? Probably taken off the market years ago!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

30 years since I'v seen one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

30 years since I'v seen one of them

So it existed. I was beginning to doubt myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Always used one for the x mas lights. also had like a double adaptor with a pull string that we used to fit into our landing light socket by the attic door in the winter. We used the pull string to turn on and off the landing light and then had one of the other little fittings wired to a bare bulb in the attic that hung next to the water pipes to keep them from freezing during the cold spells,
    Great little gadget, can't imagine they are available any more for H&S reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭cml387

They probably went out of favour because there was no earth, and some people may have wired things up which need an earth.
    I seem to remember scary pictures of irons and toasters connected to the light socket.

They were mains powered Christmas tree lights. A load of low voltage buldbs wired in series. As the bulbs blew, you could replace the bulb or disconnect the holder and rejoing the wires (with insulating tape at best, sellotape at worse).
    Repeat until enough bulbs were removed to the point where they all exploded, or simply burned down the tree and the house.

How on earth did we survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I remember assorted items (yes, including an iron) being connected to a B22 ceiling lighting socket by way of the adapter shown and described near the top of this link:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cool386/plug/plug.html

Also remember my father locating the failed Christmas tree lamp by removing each lamp in turn and shoving a screwdriver into the lamp socket to see if the remaining lights worked. It then got " permanently repaired" by stuffing aluminium foil into the socket below the lamp.

Don't know how we survived!

Advertisement