Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garry Monk sacked

• 09-12-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Confirmed on SSN just now, Rodgers back to Swansea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Van Gaal got an early Christmas present.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well that's pretty shortsighted, but not surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd laugh if they just brought Rodgers back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

That's fast! Breaking news indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When Swansea scraped that draw against Bournemouth (a better result now than then!)
    someone on the guardian match report blog said he really wanted Rodgers back and that Monk had changed them so much they were hardly recognisable as the same team that gave us the "Swanselona" style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Word is that Rodgers won't be going back,Moyes doesn't fit either.Perhaps they've somebody lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So last season he was good enough and this season he isnt. It's not like they are going to get relegated. I dont undertsand the decision especially in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If they sack him for somebody like Sherwood, it's a ridiculous decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nigel Pearson could do a good job

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

'Arry, innit.

• Advertisement

• Top-Man Tim Sherwood ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Monk got results keeping it tight at the back away from home

Club obviously want possession football again

LVG might suit them

• KingJamsie wrote: »
    Monk got results keeping it tight at the back away from home

Club obviously want possession football again

LVG might suit them

Defiantly without a shadow of a doubt

He's odds on favorite with the bookies

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Defiantly without a shadow of a doubt

He's odds on favorite with the bookies

to be fair, it's no more ridiculous than the recent suggestion that Moyes should take over at Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I thought Swansea were much more balanced as a club than this. Monk has done well for them, very short sighted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They never really replaced Bony, not sure if that's Monk's fault or not.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They never really replaced Bony, not sure if that's Monk's fault or not.
    The Chairman apparently takes the lead on player recruitment. Speaking of which, I don't know what he must be expecting. Swansea are already punching above their weight by virtue of the fact that they have a tiny net spend.

Feel a bit for Monk, he deserves more time to turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

5starpool wrote: »
    'Arry, innit.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Top-Man Tim Sherwood ftw

Please no. 2 cheeks of the one arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Monk orchestrated Laudrups demise with a mini revolt. Good enough for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jenkins last few managerial appointments have all been successful in their own respect, should be interesting to see who he chooses next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

After they beat United back in August I listened to an episode of Off The Ball. They had an interview with Gary Monk. His stock was as high then as it ever was going to get. I thought, "fair enough, he seems to be onto something big at Swansea, but I wonder if this marks the beginning of the end". Seemed like a clued in and intelligent guy, but I really felt that the hubristic hype was starting to build, and there was only one way things were going to go from there.
    The fall from grace has happened with amazing speed, but they looked like they had given up the ghost when they were battered by Leicester at the weekend, so I think a change of management is fair enough at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Kirby wrote: »
    So last season he was good enough and this season he isnt. It's not like they are going to get relegated. I dont undertsand the decision especially in December.

They have 6 points from their last 11 games (the one win coming against an awful Villa side still managed by Sherwood). That's an average of .55 points per game. Definite relegation form.

They've lost to Norwich and Watford (who would be considered teams for the drop). Home draw against Bournemouth too.

They've looked poor in many games. I know he brought them to a record finish last season, but this season they have been terrible bar August.

I can certainly see why he was let go.

• The Rodgers has been ruled out

On SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

His Swansea team had 1 way to play that if it clicked it would work very well but when it doesn't and teams figure them out they really, really struggle. Once they went behind and looked frustrated they never looked like a sort of team to come back and get a result in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Correct decision. Thet looked hapless against Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

... he really wanted Rodgers back and that Monk had changed them so much they were hardly recognisable as the same team that gave us the "Swanselona" style.

I puked a bit in my mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Correct decision. Thet looked hapless against Leicester.

So have most teams tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So have most teams tbf.

Meh, there's a difference between being beat by a much better side on the day and getting exposed due to a fundamental lack of effort and organisation.

In anycase, their results over the past couple of months tell the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

giggs to swansea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Since their opening 4 league games.

19 goals conceded
    7 scored
    8 losses
    1 win
    3 draws

6 points.

Gary Monk might be a popular manager within the fan base and he comes across as a nice guy but that is relegation form no matter how you look at it.

Gomis, Montero, Ayew have come off the boil so quickly and if Monk can't motivate them, he never will at this rate.

They are slowly slipping into the relegation places and they've done so without too much of a negative light shone on them.

The danger for them is that Bournemouth, Norwich and to an extent Newcastle and Sunderland are beginning to show a bit of fight about them when they have shown very little.

I think it's the correct decision despite the way the media will spin it. With increased TV money due to come in next season, it's a gamble that isn't worth taking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I bet Gary Neville is pissed he took that job in Spain, he could have had the biggest job in Welsh football. If only he had waited another week.

The Leicester performance was pretty diabolical.

i remember watching it thinking that team had been set up absolutely terribly. they either showed Leicester no respect, or Monk was proven to be completely clueless.

they played a high line, and went 2 on 2 quite often against Mahrez and Vardy.

It was 3-0. but it could've been 7 or 8. Vardy should've had a hat trick.

Talisman wrote: »
    I bet Gary Neville is pissed he took that job in Spain, he could have had the biggest job in Welsh football. If only he had waited another week.
    I wouldn't worry too much. Gazzer will be back in England in a few months when his Valencia spell goes t!ts up.

Avram Grant's price crashing to be next Swansea manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bring back Brendan Rodgers hes got great character.

• Advertisement

Avram Grant's price crashing to be next Swansea manager.

Swansea, and Huw Jenkins are just like any other club so.

Sacking Garry Monk for Avram Grant would be utterly ludicrous, no matter how shoddy Swansea have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Bringing in Avram Grant sounds like they actually want to get relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How grant keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gus Poyet is apparently a leading contender which sounds unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What's wrong with Avram Grant? Yeah, West Ham went tits up, but other than that his record isn't actually that bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gus Poyet is apparently a leading contender which sounds unlikely.

I'd have thought he was a good shout unless I'm missing something obvious!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jenkins has never made a bad appointment. The manager at Swansea just needs to motivate the players. The system and ethos at the Club is bigger than the personality in the dug-out - more so than any other club in the Premier League I'd say. I'd trust them to make the right appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If Poyet gets it I'll be lumping on relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Another example that you can't be a boring human being and be a good football manager...Chris Hughton's present success is confusing me though.

Marcelo Bielsa the frontrunner now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Marcelo Bielsa the frontrunner now.

Klopp and Biesla in the same league should be worth getting the popcorn out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bielsa would be glorious. No doubt it would end acrimoniously, but I'd imagine some of the football would be amazing for a brief period.

I just wonder how true it all is. He doesn't speak a word of English and he doesn't have a track-record of longevity.

Advertisement