Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental of Movies and Games

Options
  • 09-12-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello
    I have an idea for movie rentals and online gamee , only if it needs movies and games with special rights ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It doesn't need to be movies and games with special rights but you would probably want to make it something quite niche as at this stage competing with all the mainstream rivals is just going to be next to impossible.

What sort of thing do you have in mind have you approached any distributors/right holders to see if there is any interest in supplying your product?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 iceireland

Just wants to rent movies on dvd, blu ray and games can also buy and sell new and used. Before i know each movie had licencenses for rent.

iceireland wrote: »
    Just wants to rent movies on dvd, blu ray and games can also buy and sell new and used. Before i know each movie had licencenses for rent.

What do you plan on doing differently so that people are better off buying from you than someone else and how do you plan on letting them know you exist?

There is a reason the companies who started off doing dvd rental through the post moved to streaming. I would be very apprehensive about starting something in this area unless you have come up with some killer idea that the multi-billion dollar companies have so far missed. You would want a ton of industry experience and even more money to go about doing this properly.

i have lot of ideas and some plan for that . Rent will be online post to the customer or some delivery maybe. First what i need to know i need movies and games with licence for rent or not ? and where i can buy movies and games.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I vaguely remember that videos for rental required a specific license.

Like jimmii, I'd be really wary about entering a dying industry. I'm not even sure if the original Irish operators are still going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

About ten or eleven years ago, you needed a license and also a rental copy of the blu ray (DVD in that age), the latter would cost about €90 which meant at premium rates you'd need to rent it 20 times to break even

Now it's problem.with any business. Everything it's going down. Any idea for some good business?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Are you suggesting posting out / delivering DVD's and games? That's how Netflix actually started and still do to this day in the US. Between NetFlix and Steam this market is closed, dead and gone. In the next 5 to 10 years you will see all physical media disappear i.e. CD, USB etc. It will all be online, streamed and instant.

The only market for physical media right now would be vinyl and even then, its a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Graham wrote: »
    I vaguely remember that videos for rental required a specific license.

Like jimmii, I'd be really wary about entering a dying industry. I'm not even sure if the original Irish operators are still going.

Xtravision are now running DVD dispenser machines. There's one in my local Centra, have never seen anybody use it.

Xtravision are now running DVD dispenser machines. There's one in my local Centra, have never seen anybody use it.

Yeh there is one in the busy on Kings St N/Bolton St and its the same. Never even seen anyone browsing what they have let alone getting one. Can't imagine its been too successful for them so far.

• Advertisement

I can't remember the last time I heard anyone talk about 'renting a video'. Perhaps it's something that will have retro-appeal in another 20 years

Imagine trying to explain to the next generation that you really did used to leave the house and go to a shop to collect digital content. :D

That's given me a fantastic niche idea: a shop where you can go and collect your emails. That could be massive, and no competition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ironclaw wrote: »
    Are you suggesting posting out / delivering DVD's and games? That's how Netflix actually started and still do to this day in the US. Between NetFlix and Steam this market is closed, dead and gone. In the next 5 to 10 years you will see all physical media disappear i.e. CD, USB etc. It will all be online, streamed and instant.

The only market for physical media right now would be vinyl and even then, its a tough one.

Oh how wrong I hope you are. That would be horrible. Whats wrong with people these days. Stop being so mean and go buy some D.V.Ds and and games and rent too. Its the best way to watch movies and play games. Thats sounds horrible what you think will happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh how wrong I hope you are. That would be horrible. Whats wrong with people these days. Stop being so mean and go buy some D.V.Ds and and games and rent too. Its the best way to watch movies and play games. Thats sounds horrible what you think will happen.

It really depends on whether the industry want them to survive or not there's no real need for dvds or cds in most countries now. Games seems the one most likely to stay physical just because even the smallest delay makes a difference.

jimmii wrote: »
    It really depends on whether the industry want them to survive or not there's no real need for dvds or cds in most countries now. Games seems the one most likely to stay physical just because even the smallest delay makes a difference.

Delay is on the network side, not the physical media. In fact, if you have the game from a hard drive especially an SSD unit, then your game will load faster with less stress on the hardware. Environmentally, it makes sense to move away from physical media as not only is the packaging etc wasteful, you have the massive transport costs. At least that is my opinion. BluRay never really took off the same way DVD did and certainly in the last 3 to 5 years I haven't watched anything from physical media.

The barrier to physical media being over come, and heads up here as mark my words the next billionaires will be the guys and girls who figure this out:
    • Digital Rights Management - Allowing people to download and use content while still paying for it and securing it as so.
    • The ability to download and stream high definition video and audio but in a very efficient, bandwidth friendly way. The world needs what MP3 did for audio and so far has not been achieved. We are coming close to bandwidth limitations but our file sizes are getting bigger, the person who makes those files smaller and quicker to transport online will be minting money.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Delay is on the network side, not the physical media. In fact, if you have the game from a hard drive especially an SSD unit, then your game will load faster with less stress on the hardware. Environmentally, it makes sense to move away from physical media as not only is the packaging etc wasteful, you have the massive transport costs. At least that is my opinion. BluRay never really took off the same way DVD did and certainly in the last 3 to 5 years I haven't watched anything from physical media.

The barrier to physical media being over come, and heads up here as mark my words the next billionaires will be the guys and girls who figure this out:
    • Digital Rights Management - Allowing people to download and use content while still paying for it and securing it as so.
    • The ability to download and stream high definition video and audio but in a very efficient, bandwidth friendly way. The world needs what MP3 did for audio and so far has not been achieved. We are coming close to bandwidth limitations but our file sizes are getting bigger, the person who makes those files smaller and quicker to transport online will be minting money.

Yeah thats why I think its likely to stay physical at least for now.

Agree with you on the rest the environmental cost of packaging and distributing things that we could stream is still huge unfortunately. I can't remember the last time I bought a cd or dvd Spotify and Netflix takes care of everything and at a fraction of the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

AMKC wrote: »

why is it so horrible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Xtra Vision announced closure of 20 stores this year for a reason.

Xtra Vision and HMV have effectively reached the end of their life cycle. They were bought at a massive discount for the sole purpose of sucking the last little bits of revenue stream before the inevitable.
    They will not pump any more money into growing the business.

Nobody is investing in this industry. I advise you not to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

I can't believe DVDs are still even a thing when most people would surely have a HD TV at this point. Most TV channels are available in HD now too so how can one possibly go from watching HD content to SD DVDs? Especially for blockbuster movies like Interstellar and Gravity - why were these even released in SD lmao. And even Bluray is a stretch these days with the availability of movies online through downloading or streaming, both of which offer HD. When I say downloading I obviously mean through legal means but for those in the know how it's very easy to get HD movies for free and also earlier than they release in stores here. If new Bluray releases were >€10 each I'd continue buying them, as would lots of other people, but fuk paying >€15 for each of them.

Mind blowing how ridiculously slow some people are to adopt newer, superior standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Not only are licences required but the publishers and distributors hate pre-owned games sales. It's one thing if you're GameStop (bear in mind GAME couldn't make the model work here) but setting up I'm afraid Mick Finunacan(e SP?) and Kevin Neary beat you too it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

warpdrive wrote: »
    I can't believe DVDs are still even a thing when most people would surely have a HD TV at this point. Most TV channels are available in HD now too so how can one possibly go from watching HD content to SD DVDs? Especially for blockbuster movies like Interstellar and Gravity - why were these even released in SD lmao. And even Bluray is a stretch these days with the availability of movies online through downloading or streaming, both of which offer HD. When I say downloading I obviously mean through legal means but for those in the know how it's very easy to get HD movies for free and also earlier than they release in stores here. If new Bluray releases were >€10 each I'd continue buying them, as would lots of other people, but fuk paying >€15 for each of them.

Mind blowing how ridiculously slow some people are to adopt newer, superior standards.

People still like the feel of a DVD box and to have shelves stacked with their collection over the years, same as CDs, same as Vinyl

Those car headrest players for kids, more mature users prefer DVD and it can be nice to give a boxset as a gifts for Christmas instead of a code or a number to download it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

CDs will remain a very niche market out on the fringes. Just as new cars have Bluetooth, USB ports for iPods, etc., memory cards will be next (already there for things like Satnav). The DVD will lose popularity. Progress, leaving a tiny space for a niche player. Look at the Books market/readers .

Father – I’m telling you there will always be a need for our services
    Son – No, it’s going to be a dead business soon
    Father - Everyone said that about lots of things, why should our business be different ?
    Son - The future is different, our business has to adapt, it’s called “progress”.
    Father – Our business the way it is has supported our family for decades and put food on your table........
    Son – True, but times have moved on. You continue on being a blacksmith but I’m going to learn how to fix these new things called automobiles!

Buttercake wrote: »
    People still like the feel of a DVD box and to have shelves stacked with their collection over the years, same as CDs, same as Vinyl

Those car headrest players for kids, more mature users prefer DVD and it can be nice to give a boxset as a gifts for Christmas instead of a code or a number to download it.

Those car headrest players are being replaced by tablets with netflix which link to cars onboard wifi or to a mobile data network

wally79 wrote: »
    Those car headrest players are being replaced by tablets with netflix which link to cars onboard wifi or to a mobile data network

yeah would be handy except when you are driving the ring of kerry or connemara, also kids like to look at themselves on the inside of the discs

yeah would be handy except when you are driving the ring of kerry or connemara, also kids like to look at themselves on the inside of the discs

Not exactly the most compelling reasons for moving into a rapidly diminishing yet ultra-competitive market.

If someone's kids are watching a DVD in those regions then the parents have some odd priorities...

It's only a matter of time before where you are wont matter

wally79 wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before where you are wont matter

I'd doubt that will be in our lifetimes, rural ireland can barely get decent broadband never mind high speed mobile connections to stream netflix in cars, Japan maybe.

I used to work in computer sales and up to when i left in 2012 there were still people requesting floppy disc drives on their computers.

Also the ferries and drive to france on the camping hols, you wont be streaming on mobile data, theres loads of examples where hard copes like DVDs will still be used for a long time to come, not just in car headrests.

We have the luxury of high speed connection and HD hardware to stream content here but a large portion of the world Africa, Asia, C and S America are years behind and will rely on discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You could still come close to being a millionaire by investing in DVD/Game rentals...

Invest €10 million.

Advertisement