Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mel tax default list

• 09-12-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29

I am very disappointed to hear about Mel on the news and all over the irish papers today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Mary2014 wrote: »
    I am very disappointed to hear about Mel on the news and all over the irish papers today.

He was on Joe Duffy as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

I personally don't think he should be allowed to teach again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

lol I was chuckling to myself as I read the news.
    You'd think someone with his knowledge would have stood a better chance at successfully evading tax eh?

Would have been even more amusing if a P1 lecturer had been caught out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭CassieManson

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    lol I was chuckling to myself as I read the news.
    You'd think someone with his knowledge would have stood a better chance at successfully evading tax eh?

Would have been even more amusing if a P1 lecturer had been caught out. :)

According to his interview on Joe Duffy he went to the revenue himself and admitted that he had not paid tax over several years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

According to his interview on Joe Duffy he went to the revenue himself and admitted that he had not paid tax over several years.

Well the level of penalty suggests that wasn't the case. A 40% penalty in a published settlement equates to a settlement based on "No Cooperation". Hard to reconcile that with someone coming forward of their own volition...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Hi, slightly off topic but maybe you can help.
    In regards to the latest default list I have seen the company I work for on it with a fairly large total after interest and penalties. Is the amount shown already paid or outstanding ?
    I'm not going to ask in work for obvious reasons .
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

OttoPilot wrote: »
    I personally don't think he should be allowed to teach again.

I rthink that's very unfair.

His lecture on "Practical Revenue Audits" should be standing-room only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

I would say it's only the amount due and not paid. Sure didn't a famous TD have his company up there for a few million and never pay it?
    Thespoofer wrote: »
    Hi, slightly off topic but maybe you can help.
    In regards to the latest default list I have seen the company I work for on it with a fairly large total after interest and penalties. Is the amount shown already paid or outstanding ?
    I'm not going to ask in work for obvious reasons .
    Thanks.

viztopia wrote: »
    I would say it's only the amount due and not paid. Sure didn't a famous TD have his company up there for a few million and never pay it?

Well it depends, if the company wants to continue to trade or has valuable assets, it has to address the liability otherwise the Collector General will petition the High Court to wind up the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Well the level of penalty suggests that wasn't the case. A 40% penalty in a published settlement equates to a settlement based on "No Cooperation". Hard to reconcile that with someone coming forward of their own volition...

He was rambling on Joe Duffy about how he couldn't sleep and made a disclosure to Revenue. He said he works 18 hour days and didn't get around to doing his tax returns. Apparently he was to go back to them with information and he never did because he just never got around to it and that's how he is basically so I suppose that's how they arrived at no cooperation.

It's baffling that someone in his position couldn't even estimate their effective tax rate and put enough of the funds aside as opposed to spending it. He said the money is gone and it didn't go on fancy houses, holiday homes or cars.

• Advertisement

Paddy001 wrote: »
    He was rambling on Joe Duffy about how he couldn't sleep and made a disclosure to Revenue. He said he works 18 hour days and didn't get around to doing his tax returns. Apparently he was to go back to them with information and he never did because he just never got around to it and that's how he is basically so I suppose that's how they arrived at no cooperation.

It's baffling that someone in his position couldn't even estimate their effective tax rate and put enough of the funds aside as opposed to spending it. He said the money is gone and it didn't go on fancy houses, holiday homes or cars.

If he was a doctor who works 18 hour days I could understand him not understanding the gravity of the situation but tax is basically his livelihood :eek:

if he was working 18 houra a day then surely he could have afforded to hire a book keeper?

quote="OttoPilot;98040889"]If he was a doctor who works 18 hour days I could understand him not understanding the gravity of the situation but tax is basically his livelihood :eek:[/quote]

The person asked if he amount was paid or not. They didn't ask if the company was going to pay it. ...

quote="barneystinson;98036315"]Well it depends, if the company wants to continue to trade or has valuable assets, it has to address the liability otherwise the Collector General will petition the High Court to wind up the company.[/quote]

The person asked if he amount was paid or not. They didn't ask if the company was going to pay it. ...

Correct, but I was replying to your post:

While you would say that, you have no means of knowing whether it's right or wrong.

All one can say for sure is that if the company is still trading then they either have paid, OR have entered into an arrangement to pay, the liability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

As a student with the CAI we look up to tutors and especially book/manual contributors for knowledge on the Tax Rule and tax compts for ensuring compliance with the ruless. As a tutor he knew full well what he was doing but fell foul of the Irish psychi, (nod and wink and see if they catch me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

As a relatively mature student, I find some of the moral outrage on this site to be questionable.

Luckily I have completed all 14 ACCA exams in 3 years and I tell you what I wanted the best lecturers that knew their area inside out and that meant no loyalty to one college. If I was to do it again and advise students, I would have same strategy again and I would take Mel Kilkenny for P6 without a hesitation, the man is an outstanding tutor, writes his own books. If you go to his classes, he doesn't lecture on ethics, he is a human and his notes are superb with focus on exam technique.

There are a lot of lecturers that are clowns in all colleges that you pay good money for.

Give me a top tutor with human frailties such as Mel over some of the other clowns around any day!

Reputation and ethics are important for all areas of accounting, not just those who teach them. Martin Shkreli is a good businessman, doesn't mean I want to learn from him.

Things like this make the whole profession look bad and tarnish our image. You will hear public say "one law for us and another for them".

If he's as good a lecturer as you say he knew exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Mary2014

ACCA1916 wrote: »
    As a relatively mature student, I find some of the moral outrage on this site to be questionable.

Luckily I have completed all 14 ACCA exams in 3 years and I tell you what I wanted the best lecturers that knew their area inside out and that meant no loyalty to one college. If I was to do it again and advise students, I would have same strategy again and I would take Mel Kilkenny for P6 without a hesitation, the man is an outstanding tutor, writes his own books. If you go to his classes, he doesn't lecture on ethics, he is a human and his notes are superb with focus on exam technique.

There are a lot of lecturers that are clowns in all colleges that you pay good money for.

Give me a top tutor with human frailties such as Mel over some of the other clowns around any day!

pm

Advertisement