Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tripod Recommendations?

• 09-12-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I know there is currently an active thread about tripods on here at the moment but I've a bit different criteria for a tripod.

I'm only starting out with photography and I'm using a Canon 700D but I have intentions of upgrading to full-frame in the future when I'm better with the current setup. I'm looking for a decent sturdy "heavy" tripod? Price isn't really an issue as I know you get what you pay for. So I'd rather buy once and buy right.

I've been looking at the something like the Manfrotto 058B Triaut just for it's sheer sturdiness - I've handled this tripod and love how it feels but realistically parking a 700D on top of that, I'll look like a PLONKER? Even if and when I upgrade to something like a 5D MKIII I'll look like an ass and thats before we mention the fact it's actually a studio tripod :o

So now, on with the question... Is there anything else that feels this nice to handle that is more suitable for those cameras? I will be using it outdoors quite a bit but weight isn't really a killer issue for me - I don't like the feel of the carbon fibre tripods, I imagine that in heavy wind they are relatively unstable?

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations you have.
    Thanks! :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Most good tripods have 3 different spread on the legs so as in slight windy conditions the tripod will be stable. In very windy conditions I don't think there is a tripod that will keep your camera perfectly steady in windy conditions. Your best bet is to go into one of the camera shops and handle the tripods they stock until you are happy with it. Carbon fibre tripods can be great and not unstable as you imagine.
    Good luck with your shopping and forget about looking like a plonker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If you are trekking at all or basically walking a long way to locations then carbon fibre will be a godsend. Don't be put off by the lightness of them(the main point of them). They can be very sturdy.

You will probably have enough weight to contend with in your camera bag so the last thing you want is bringing a tripod with you becoming a chore because you have to lump it around with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I just picked up one of the new be free carbon fibre travel type tripods, I had the same hesitancy as you do, but brought in my camera (Canon 6D) into the shop and was sturdier when I had the extra weight of the camera on it.
    I'm still a bit unconvinced to be honest as legs seems a bit unsteady.
    I am out on a night shoot some time next week around town so gonna put it through it paces! Can let you know then.
    Went for the carbon fibre for the travel side of things anyway (though a saving of 0.3kg out of my carry on isn't going to make all that much of a difference over the aluminium)

I do have an old work horse of a manfrotto (#074) (can't even find it on the manfrotto site - If I were heading out for a specific shoot (sunrise/sunset, or very long exposures I will probably still reach for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

If price is not a issue go for a Gitzo Mountaineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have a Manfrotto 055. Fantastic tripod. Incredibly happy with it. I have the aluminium version and it's very heavy. I won't be walking very far with it to be honest. It's a very solid tripod with some nice functions.

https://www.manfrotto.com/shop-by/collections/tripods/055-collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Hey thanks all for the replies, I'm still a bit thrown. But I have until January anyway!
    I have a Manfrotto 055. Fantastic tripod. Incredibly happy with it. I have the aluminium version and it's very heavy. I won't be walking very far with it to be honest. It's a very solid tripod with some nice functions.

https://www.manfrotto.com/shop-by/collections/tripods/055-collection

I've been looking at http://www.connscameras.ie/p/manfrotto-mk055xpro3-3w-3-way-tripod-kit/8024221623291 just before I read your comment. Spooky :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I would also go with the Manfrotto 055 series, they are heavy enough and sturdy enough for anything. If you go any heavier, you may leave it behind you sometimes - and that defeats the purpose!

Advertisement