Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Kilkenny

• 10-12-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

I just did a search of the forum and there hasn't been a general 'restaurants in Kilkenny' thread in the last few years, so I'm looking to see where is good. I'm looking for family friendly place for lunch over Xmas but looking to check out good places for couples as well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Worlds End serves food now, can't vouch for it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »

It's supposed to be savage, especially the breakfast.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I just did a search of the forum and there hasn't been a general 'restaurants in Kilkenny' thread in the last few years, so I'm looking to see where is good. I'm looking for family friendly place for lunch over Xmas but looking to check out good places for couples as well.

Any ideas?

With kids:

Italian Connection
    Primo (Smithlands Court)
    Jacobs Cottage (Hibernian)
    Langtons

Couples:

La Rivista
    Zuni
    Rinuccinis
    Campagne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It's supposed to be savage, especially the breakfast.

I expected better from the two of yee.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

Anocht in KK Design Centre is fabulous for couples, the service & food is to a really high standard.

Big fan of La Rivista here too, great ambience. They have child-friendly afternoons on Sundays with face painting etc as far as I know.

I love Yindees Downtown too (opposite Matt the Millers), good value for money if you like Thai-fusion food.

Lemongrass (beside Tynan's pub) offers great value on Tuesdays, think it's €5 starter, €10 main & €5 dessert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

+1

also vouch for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I never got tbe hype about rinuccinis. So overpriced, tables too close together and food average. The money they charge for pasta is criminal.

My fave place for fine dining is Anocht, for cheaper food, Aroi is fantastic.

Only ever in Anocht once for lunch and I wasn't exactly bowled over. It was self service canteen style. Food was ok but price was reasonable. OH is a big fan though.
    Was in Aroi for first time recently. Good choice and very reasonable - all mains €11. That night though the dessert choice was ice cream only.
    Would also recommend Yindees and Lemongrass for families or couples. Both offer kids menus and do early bird specials for the bargain hunters.
    One other place worth noting is Little Italy for families or couples. Good food and location if you want to make a night of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Favourite restaurant in the South East is Zuni. I've yet to have a bad meal there.

Have eaten in Rinnucini's and Campagne too and enjoyed the meal in Campagne but not so much in Rinnucini's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

citykat wrote: »
    Only ever in Anocht once for lunch and I wasn't exactly bowled over. It was self service canteen style. Food was ok but price was reasonable. OH is a big fan though.
    Was in Aroi for first time recently. Good choice and very reasonable - all mains €11. That night though the dessert choice was ice cream only.
    Would also recommend Yindees and Lemongrass for families or couples. Both offer kids menus and do early bird specials for the bargain hunters.
    One other place worth noting is Little Italy for families or couples. Good food and location if you want to make a night of it.

The lunch at Kilkenny Design is completely different than the evening food. Different menu, its set up as an evening experience. Its not called Anocht during the day. Anocht is Irish for night.

• Advertisement

You weren't in Anocht, you were in the design centre cafe, biggggggg difference.

femur61 wrote: »
    The lunch at Kilkenny Design is completely different than the evening food. Different menu, its set up as an evening experience. Its not called Anocht during the day. Anocht is Irish for night.

I'm in your eternal debt for that! When food/dining is classed as an 'experience', I'll take a pass.

I'm in your eternal debt for that! When food/dining is classed as an 'experience', I'll take a pass.

Your loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Went to Aroi last night for some food and it was lovely. Couldn't believe how quick it was from order to getting served. Will definitely be returning

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cafe 22 is a new place on Rose Inn street. Located where spar was. Looks ready to open its doors this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There must be a hex on that unit. How many businesses have been through there?

Best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I think the 22 is for the number of business that have been in the place over the last few years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Sky King wrote: »
    There must be a hex on that unit. How many businesses have been through there?

Best of luck to them.

It never recovered from Big Snack leaving.

Mamma Mia on Friary Street opened as well this week.

Formosa wrote: »
    It never recovered from Big Snack leaving.

Even though Big Snack was next door where An Puc Fada is? now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Sky King wrote: »
    Even though Big Snack was next door where An Puc Fada is? now

Good grub wherever it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

What do people think of Paris Texas for food?

It's good.

Good beer selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Not a regular or anything in Paris Texas but had food at the weekend and like the few other times i was in there it was amazing.... chicken wings are definitely the best i have had in years.... actually in ireland :)

Steak for mains was beautiful so highly recommend it.

Overall I think it's good food. But think standards are falling in the place in my opinion. The way they cook the food means that you have to get it when fresh to make sure it's top notch.

I went on a saturday evening and the food seemed to be reheated. It put me off going again for grub but their beer selection is very good.

I went on a saturday evening and the food seemed to be reheated. It put me off going again for grub but their beer selection is very good.

It's not reheated but is already cooked. They'll have a burger out to u in under 5 minutes of ordering. There is nothing wrong with that, lots of restaurants do similar but it it can affect quality during less busy times.

kikel wrote: »
    It's not reheated but is already cooked. They'll have a burger out to u in under 5 minutes of ordering. There is nothing wrong with that, lots of restaurants do similar but it it can affect quality during less busy times.
    I didn't have the burger so can't comment there. It's been a while now but it just seemed very bland for what I paid. Even uncle sams seemed like better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Love the food in Paris Texas. American style food, very tasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

kikel wrote: »

Might be par for the course in franchise themed spots like Hard Rock Cafe or TGI Friday's, but surely any self-respecting professional kitchen with a burger on the menu is going to cook it to order from scratch.

Advertisement