Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Kilkenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What do people think of Paris Texas for food?

Desperate. Had a burger there during the summer. Was expecting a nice gourmet type one. Was a disgusting bought in frozen thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

kodirl wrote: »
    Actually if it's fast food you're into. The man in the parade kiosk does a sweet bag of chips and best hotdog in KK IMO
    I must try the ships although because of its immediate proximity to the public toilets it does get called "piss n chips" which can sound offputting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Lebonise place on friary street opened today. Looks savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Looking for a nice Italian for dinner next week, we will have our two year old with us, so will probably be talking early bird menu. She won't really be eating, but child friendly in the case of space for high chair etc is important.

Was thinking of La Rivista, Little Italy or Rinuccini, slightly turned off the latter due to the price but if it's significantly better then we'll suck it up!

Any thoughts on the above three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I've regularly been to La Rivista. Lovely and I would say children friendly. Mrs.Odyssey was in Rinniccuni last week and also loved it. If it was my choice it would be LaRivista as Rinniccuni ai a little tight for space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone been to Mamma Mia (or is it Mamma Mias?) on Friary St. in Kilkenny yet please?

Think it only opened on Thursday the 10th of December?

Keep meaning to get in there but would appreciate reviews good or bad please. Thanks.

ncmc wrote: »
    Looking for a nice Italian for dinner next week, we will have our two year old with us, so will probably be talking early bird menu. She won't really be eating, but child friendly in the case of space for high chair etc is important.

Was thinking of La Rivista, Little Italy or Rinuccini, slightly turned off the latter due to the price but if it's significantly better then we'll suck it up!

Also consider Primo in loughboy if you have a child with you. They even got a kids corner play area. Not on a par with any of the places you mention but handy with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Food & service in Rinuccini is worth paying that little bit extra for IMO & as with any Italian family restaurant, kids are made most welcome.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyone been to Mamma Mia (or is it Mamma Mias?) on Friary St. in Kilkenny yet please?

Think it only opened on Thursday the 10th of December?

Keep meaning to get in there but would appreciate reviews good or bad please. Thanks.

Yeah, what's the story with that place. It seems to be more of a daytime thing, anytime I've thought of going there they're shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

ncmc wrote: »

Would recommend all three. Italian Connection is also worth bearing in mind.

• Advertisement

Left bank just won an award for best gastric pub Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

kikel wrote: »

It's very nice. I was in it months ago and the wait time for food was crazy and food was nothing to write home about/slightly trying to hard

I was in it recently and the food and waiting time was vastly improved. I think they got the head chef from Anocht.

We really are spoiled for choice in KK with regards to good restauraunts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

kikel wrote: »

That's Left Bank, Hibernian and Marble City Bar that are ALL the best gastro pub in Kilkenny now :rolleyes:

I wonder who is dishing out these awards. Pun intended.

Thanks for the Italian recommendations guys. We're staying in Lyrath and I was planning to eat in the oriental restaurant there one of the nights. But the recent reviews for Lyrath are pretty terrible with a lot of people mentioning slow service and over priced food. Has anyone eaten in the oriental restaurant there recently? Was thinking we might try good pub grub instead so maybe one of the places mentioned above.

Sky King wrote: »
    That's Left Bank, Hibernian and Marble City Bar that are ALL the best gastro pub in Kilkenny now :rolleyes:

Yeah it a self-promoting thing. https://www.facebook.com/IrishRestaurantAwards/posts/10153457639671033?fref=nf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sky King wrote: »

Took the family for a bite in the Marble City bar in January & spotted the various gastro pub awards displayed outside. Food was bog standard pub fare tbh & we were all quite underwhelmed by it.

Hibernian is certainly better, though I'd also question how & why these places merit awards for producing food that's in no way beyond what countless other pubs plate up on a daily basis.

So we're back from our couple of nights in Kilkenny, ate in the Hibernian the first night, I really didn't rate it. I had the duck starter which was nice but small, they could have added some salad to fill it out a bit. Husband had wings which he felt were average. For mains he had the carbonara which was ok, but not carbonara as I know it! Tasted a bit over salted. I had the jambalaya, now it's one of my favourites and this was by no stretch of the imagination jambalaya. It was like risotto in pepper sauce with chicken on top! I actually thought he had brought me out the wrong meal, but he assured me it was correct. I don't know what planet the chef is from if he thinks that's jambalaya. Dessert was nice and service was good, but they did try and overcharge us only my husband spouted it! Definitely wouldn't recommend.

For our second night we went to Little Italy, really nice and one of the best value meals I've had in a long time. €50 for three courses and a bottle of wine (which was Santa Rita 120 so not total vinegar) We had goats cheese and prawn tempura for starter, both delicious. I had a creamy pasta for mains and husband had a pizza. Desserts tasted a little like they were bought in, but nice at the same time. Definitely would go there again, superb value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks myself and my girlfriend will be in Kilkenny on Thursday night.

I've had a quick read of the thread and like the sound of a lot of the places but we will only be here for the one night and would like someone to point me in the right direction.

I really liked the sound of Anocht but I think i'll give that one a miss this time around as there wasn't a lot on the menu to her liking. I wouldn't be overly fond of Asian Cuisine so that rules out a few more.

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You have *loads* of options in fairness. Loads.
    Yamanoto wrote: »
    Took the family for a bite in the Marble City bar in January & spotted the various gastro pub awards displayed outside. Food was bog standard pub fare tbh & we were all quite underwhelmed by it.

Hibernian is certainly better, though I'd also question how & why these places merit awards for producing food that's in no way beyond what countless other pubs plate up on a daily basis.

MCB has declined big time in recent times IMO. I was a regular. These days not so much. It's a pity because the staff are dead sound. I'll check back in in a month or so to see if they got their act together food wise.

Hibernian is better alright.

Hibernian.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Folks myself and my girlfriend will be in Kilkenny on Thursday night.

I've had a quick read of the thread and like the sound of a lot of the places but we will only be here for the one night and would like someone to point me in the right direction.

I really liked the sound of Anocht but I think i'll give that one a miss this time around as there wasn't a lot on the menu to her liking. I wouldn't be overly fond of Asian Cuisine so that rules out a few more.

Any help is appreciated.
    Add your reply here.what is to her liking?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Add your reply here.what is to her liking?

Pretty much anything. Same as myself and kind of gone off Asian Cuisine at the minute.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Pretty much anything. Same as myself and kind of gone off Asian Cuisine at the minute.

anocht, zuni, champagne, rive gauche, Rinucinnis.
    Food works is nice for lunch. Hibernian too.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    anocht, zuni, champagne, rive gauche, Rinucinnis.
    Food works is nice for lunch. Hibernian too.

Thanks for those. I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If you're a foodie it's got to be Campagne. Its pricey but it's the best in town. Btw no connection.

citykat wrote: »
    If you're a foodie it's got to be Campagne. Its pricey but it's the best in town. Btw no connection.
    If foodie means fussy then it does seem to have its pretensions. It's alright but not worth it compared with Zuni.

catbear wrote: »
    If foodie means fussy then it does seem to have its pretensions. It's alright but not worth it compared with Zuni.

Can't criticise the Zuni food in any way but fail to understand the fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Rive Gauche. Classy surroundings and very good food. Not cheap but not exorbitant either. You pay for what you get and it's all there on the plate.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Mankbag wrote: »
    Rive Gauche. Classy surroundings and very good food. Not cheap but not exorbitant either. You pay for what you get and it's all there on the plate.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

where is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cargo wrote: »
    where is this?

Google is your friend

Advertisement