Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Kilkenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Google is your friend

Unlike you.

I was hoping someone might come back with a few words expanding what Mankbag wrote about it. i.e. is it just plain pub food / "gastro" pub I think is the hip word these days or is it a full formal sit down job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Rive Gauche appears to be on the Parade beside the Left Bank Pub if its not a part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

cargo wrote: »
    is it just plain pub food / "gastro" pub I think is the hip word these days or is it a full formal sit down job.

It's funny, when someone says "gastro" I immediately think they're saying it's an eatery that gives you gastroenteritis!

catbear wrote: »
    It's funny, when someone says "gastro" I immediately think they're saying it's an eatery that gives you gastroenteritis!

Seems to be a big thing in the UK. (gastro pubs not gastroenteritis) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Rive Gauche is part of the Left Bank but isn't a gastro pub. It's a French-style brasserie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cargo wrote: »
    Unlike you.

I was hoping someone might come back with a few words expanding what Mankbag wrote about it. i.e. is it just plain pub food / "gastro" pub I think is the hip word these days or is it a full formal sit down job.

You asked where it was...Not what it was like.!! I did a Google search and found it.

Mankbag wrote: »
    Rive Gauche is part of the Left Bank but isn't a gastro pub. It's a French-style brasserie.
    I know french food can be very interesting with frogs legs and cured horse meat (yes there is a follow on market for fallen horse at the races), but Brasso smells strong enough without having to taste it.

You asked where it was...Not what it was like.!! I did a Google search and found it.

It was late google was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's Greek derived and means 'stomach'.

Gastropub is one of those wankey mean-nothing terms like artisan, boutique, craft, etc.

Some day (if it hasn't happened already) some chippers will rebrand as a GastroChipper with Brasserie Chips, boutique onion rings and craft minerals.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Some day (if it hasn't happened already) some chippers will rebrand as a GastroChipper with Brasserie Chips, boutique onion rings and craft minerals.

I know your taking the piss but their is a lot if logic to what you say. Ever consider a career in marketing.

kikel wrote: »
    I know your taking the piss but their is a lot if logic to what you say. Ever consider a career in marketing.
    Well it's already happened to fast food, you see gourmet burgers at food markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Isn't there such a place in Dublin called joburger or something? Think one of the Irish rugby players is an investor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Anyone know when fish face is opening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Next Wednesday I think, check their Facebook page

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

citykat wrote: »
    Isn't there such a place in Dublin called joburger or something? Think one of the Irish rugby players is an investor.

The owner of JoBurger was a year ahead of me in college and lived in the same apartment block, although I haven't spoken to him since then. It's in Rathmines.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyone been to Mamma Mia (or is it Mamma Mias?) on Friary St. in Kilkenny yet please?

Think it only opened on Thursday the 10th of December?

Keep meaning to get in there but would appreciate reviews good or bad please. Thanks.

They didn't last long....shame because it was a nice restaurant and lovely staff.
    I liked the food, but I'd say the menu was a bit limited and the premises seemed too big for what they were doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

road_high wrote: »
    They didn't last long....shame because it was a nice restaurant and lovely staff.
    I liked the food, but I'd say the menu was a bit limited and the premises seemed too big for what they were doing there.

They were never open from what i could teĺl. We rocked up to it several times only to find it closed.

citykat wrote: »
    They were never open from what i could teĺl. We rocked up to it several times only to find it closed.

Really? Was it only open day time? I was only ever there weekend afternoons...Hard to make money there with limited opening, I'd imagine the rent would be considerable.

I went there a few times of an evening last summer, i think they only opened on a thursday and friday til around 8pm. Shame really as the food was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ate in Paris Texas recently.

Having heard some decent things about it, thought the food was p1ss poor - processed burgers as opposed to home made & lots of stuff covered in industrial-catering-type of gloopy sauces.

In no way were we expecting haute-cuisine, but we had a family dinner in this place just 2 days later, with the quality of ingredients being light years ahead of what Paris Texas plated up, all for a comparable price.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g503712-d3958158-Reviews-The_Blind_Piper-Caherdaniel_County_Kerry.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

What has a restaurant in Kerry got to do with Kilkenny? ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

JDMC2 wrote: »
    What has a restaurant in Kerry got to do with Kilkenny? ��

Pull your horns in. It was a comparison. They paid around the same money in two restaurants,one in Kilkenny (very poor) and one in kerry( very good) .Simple has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Yamanoto wrote: »

Having heard some decent things about it, thought the food was p1ss poor - processed burgers as opposed to home made & lots of stuff covered in industrial-catering-type of gloopy sauces.

In no way were we expecting haute-cuisine, but we had a family dinner in this place just 2 days later, with the quality of ingredients being light years ahead of what Paris Texas plated up, all for a comparable price.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g503712-d3958158-Reviews-The_Blind_Piper-Caherdaniel_County_Kerry.html

Chef that set the menu and set the standard in their has left about a year now. Food standard has suffered since I think

Yamanoto wrote: »

I had the same experience a few years ago and not been back since- they had refurbished at the time and was expecting great things- same had the burger and it was also processed/bought in cheap rubbish. Eddie Rocketts would have left it for dead! Also well able to charge up for what it was. Who serves these type of burgers nowadays bar local take aways? Awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

I see that a lot in many places. You can taste the difference right away. And then they have the gall to charge 15 quid for such a burger

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

What's the restaurant that's replaced Ripleys called?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

JoeyDoh wrote: »
    What's the restaurant that's replaced Ripleys called?

Butcher as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Is Fish Face still open?

Was in there last year during the Ras na mBan in Kilkenny city.
    Great food.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi guys,

Any recommendations for a nice, causal place for lunch in the city? Anywhere that does a decent burger at a reasonable price would do the job.

Someone IRL recommended Paris Texas but the comments a few posts up are putting me off a little.

Thanks.

Advertisement