Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Powered Lighting for Greenhouse

Options
  • 10-12-2015 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

No power to the green house at present. Wondering if anyone has gone the Solar Panel/battery route and if yes any advice you can give.

Looks like a solar panel kit + battery + LED strip lighting doable for less than €100 but is it worth the risk ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

No power to the green house at present. Wondering if anyone has gone the Solar Panel/battery route and if yes any advice you can give.

Looks like a solar panel kit + battery + LED strip lighting doable for lessons than €100 but is it worth the risk ?

What is the logic for lights there is not much doing in the green house this time of year.. I guess they are not for growing just for a bit of light for night gardening during the week. For 100 euros I would get a solar power water heater with charging controller. To keep frost out of the green house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

iainBB wrote: »
    For 100 euros I would get a solar power water heater with charging controller.
    Where would you get such a set-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

iainBB wrote: »
    What is the logic for lights there is not much doing in the green house this time of year.. I guess they are not for growing just for a bit of light for night gardening during the week. For 100 euros I would get a solar power water heater with charging controller. To keep frost out of the green house.

The principle reason to get power would be for some light for evening gardening, running the radio etc. I like the idea of the water heater though.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

wait4me wrote: »
    Where would you get such a set-up?

I don't think it's it's exists as a full unit but you can get a 12v solar panel around 50 to 100 watt, battery easy enough, small charge control ,12 element and bucket of water to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Could you not just fill your greenhouse with black painted milk cartons full with water? You're increasing the thermal mass and they will absorb energy on cold, sunny days in the winter and release it once the sun goes down.
    The more milk cartons, the greater the thermal mass and the higher you can maintain the temp over night.

The green house itself could be the solar energy storage system rather than electronic whizgadgetery thingys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement