Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding/Expanding SSD storage

Options
  • 10-12-2015 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

If a machine has a 120gb ssd system drive and a second larger ssd (say 500gb) is added, can the system drive be extended on to the new drive without a re-install? If not, do ssds need to be the same to do raid as were traditional ide/sata drives?

Windows 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You cant span drives in a live system.

Get an SSD kit with a cloning tool and you can image the 120 onto the 500GB and then have the 120 as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if it's the case that you can't span in a live system anymore. It may/should be possible to use diskpart to do this from the recovery console. I might be wrong though, it's been a while since I've had to mess with partitions this way.

I'd agree that cloning the 120 to the 500 is the cleanest way to go. The 120 could then be used for a page file, scratch file, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I also don't think you can set up a new raid system without wiping the disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Cheers. Was just wondering how I could max out my spending but cloning the 120 on to the 500 will do the job nicely.

Advertisement