Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College internship

• 10-12-2015 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

As part of my degree I have to complete a six month work placement for second semester of this year. My final exam is on January 11th 2016 and I'm able to start on January 12th 2016. The college has not helped me get an internship at all and it's been near impossible to get a reply from a lot of companies. It's sort of a last resort asking here. Does anybody know of anywhere that would be willing to offer me an internship? I'm currently a third year computer science student and I can send you my CV whenever you like. I appreciate that it's probably unlikely anybody here will be able to help, but worth a shot, can't be any less help than I've gotten so far. I've tried contacting a very large number of companies but very few have replied. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Location would help people know if they are suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Funnyman123

Ant695 wrote: »
    Location would help people know if they are suitable.

I'm in college in Dublin and could make it almost anywhere in the city within an hour, I'm from Castlebar in Mayo and my parents live there, so Castlebar would be suitable either. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Have you been ringing, emailing or calling in person to ask about placements? Emails could be overlooked but ringing and asking to speak to manager etc... or calling in means you should get some kind of an answer out of them. I'm also surprised your college doesn't have companies they routinely send people to or pass on CVs to as that's what my college does. We give them our cvs and they send them to the companies they deal with to set interviews or we could arrange our own either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Funnyman123

Ant695 wrote: »
    Have you been ringing, emailing or calling in person to ask about placements? Emails could be overlooked but ringing and asking to speak to manager etc... or calling in means you should get some kind of an answer out of them. I'm also surprised your college doesn't have companies they routinely send people to or pass on CVs to as that's what my college does. We give them our cvs and they send them to the companies they deal with to set interviews or we could arrange our own either.

I started off by emailing them but that wasn't working so i started ringing places then but most places just said they don't take interns or to just send a CV to whatever address they gave me (to which they then wouldn't reply). My college is terrible when it comes to this sort of thing it seems (I won't mention the college here), they've given us no help whatsoever except for one talk from a company. Very few places seem to take students without intervention by a college, I was talking to a man from a company recently and he said they take students on the recommendation of the placement officer, not on contact by the student themselves, there's 30-40 in the course now and that i know of only three have gotten placement, it's a joke. Hopefully something will appear soon though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Door to door is probably the best method, look for the small dev companies as many of the big ones started taking applications for sept 2016 placements a few months ago, so at this late stage its unlikely to get in to a Jan placement now.
    Might be stating the obvious but also look at IT departments within none dev businesses, I don't know Dublin but I'm thinking of companies like Dunne's Stores that have a big enough IT section.
    I'm going to be looking for a placement for 2017, but I'm well aware that the college will be of no use and some of the placements they have secured for past students have been of very little benefit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement