Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown shopping centre 1.5million visits this X mas

Options
  • 10-12-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

As title goes it seems the run up to Christmas according to the sunday indo the blach centre will have 1.5million visits. .. There will be lots of traffic jams. .. I guess shop early is the answer.

I Didnt realise there were 180 outlets in Blanch centre ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Patww79 wrote: »
    I avoid it like the plague from the middle of November until the middle of January. Thank God for Amazon!

Not shopping local Pat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

With the free for all that is trying to get in or out of a Blanch carpark, not a chance. Most of the shops are big international owned companies so there's not much value to the local bit anyway.

Apart for local staff keeping their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Traffic isnt helped by the lads manning the roundabouts and their "traffic management". Was over in the centre last wednesday at lunch and was stopped by one of them letting a cars come from the left at a roundabout that wasnt even busy....the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Traffic was backed up to the roundabout by Coolmine before 10 this morning. Unless I can get in there first thing or just before they close I don't bother. I picked up any presents I needed to buy there in early November and bought everything else online. (Much cheaper anyway!) It's not worth sitting in traffic and driving around looking for parking, but from the queues of cards I've seen over the last couple of weeks other people don't agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Traffic isnt helped by the lads manning the roundabouts and their "traffic management". Was over in the centre last wednesday at lunch and was stopped by one of them letting a cars come from the left at a roundabout that wasnt even busy....the mind boggles.

This!! I was there last week and was stopped at the roundabout for ages - there were absolutely no cars coming from the other roads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I dunno what is worse

The traffic management
    Or
    I want the space beside the door

I go the upper level in multistorey or over the far side of carparks. I remember when I had no car, so the walk from car to centre is nothing to my house to the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have been down the last two days ordering glasses. Yesterday between 3 and 5 and today between 1 and 2. It's not mental. Busy but not mental. I'd avoid the weekends for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jeffk wrote: »
    I go the upper level in multistorey or over the far side of carparks.

The problem is getting out of that carpark when it's at its worse, you could find yourself queueing from the very top just to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

ThisRegard wrote:
    The problem is getting out of that carpark when it's at its worse, you could find yourself queueing from the very top just to get out.

Very true

Suppose its down to basic manners on the person on the next level to let a car out, repeat etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It's probably the best centre in the country. And it's on our doorstep, pretty much negating the need to travel to the city centre while employing hundreds of locals. Best thing ever to happen to D15. This time of year always promotes a good aul traffic 'moan'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

what is " X mas " !?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

rolion wrote: »
    what is " X mas " !?

Comes just after W mas and just before Y mas. If you need to know anything else, just holler.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

rolion wrote: »
    what is " X mas " !?

Xmas is a popular, widely known, and legitimate English alternative to the word Christmas.

Smartarse.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/12/the-x-in-xmas-doesnt-take-the-christ-out-of-christmas/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not shopping local Pat ?

Some of my Amazon deliveries came from Dublin ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

benjamin d wrote: »
    Xmas is a popular, widely known, and legitimate English alternative to the word Christmas.

Smartarse.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/12/the-x-in-xmas-doesnt-take-the-christ-out-of-christmas/

Less of the name-calling please, it's Xmas, which we all know is a time for peace and goodwill to all.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Zaph wrote: »
    Less of the name-calling please, it's Xmas, which we all know is a time for peace and goodwill to all.

Thanks.

Sorry, meant no harm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I find the centre itself not a problem as regards the crowds. It's the bloody car parks and the 30 minute queues to get out of the TK Maxx car park at weekends in December that are a nightmare! Saying that, I popped in on last Monday at about 5:30pm and it was fine. It's just the weekends that need to be avoided!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for the kind and warm replies.

Now it makes sense why Christmas spirit has dissappear ed and X shopping took over:we are afraid to use the proper name for Christmas.

Enjoy traffic X guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Park near the bank or the spar. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Park near the bank or the spar. Be grand.

And instead of turning left down to the Main Road, take a right as far as Power City, take a right and right again down to the top of Blanchardstown Village )comes out at the Chinese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dodzy wrote: »
    It's probably the best centre in the country. And it's on our doorstep, pretty much negating the need to travel to the city centre while employing hundreds of locals. Best thing ever to happen to D15. This time of year always promotes a good aul traffic 'moan'.

In fairness its normal for it to be bad at weekends, at normal times of the year. So you can't say its just xmas.

The road layout is so poorly designed it can't handle any sort volume of traffic.

Also its not just the shopping times. The whole area around the centre is bad for normal commuting peak aswell. It can't handle that either.

Its a problem for a lot of D.15 poor traffic design, and too much traffic caused by over development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The key is to head there an hour before closing. Posters in this forum are local enough that if it takes two such trips to complete your shopping it's not that big a hassle. Did it last Saturday and Sunday and had no problem getting good parking or even leaving the car parks. Centre pretty calm too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Any new additional shops in the pipeline for the Blanch centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Any new additional shops in the popeline for the Blanch centre ?

Not a prayer. Sorry couldn't resist.

They might have done this since I was last there, but this afternoon I noticed they have put up that stupid no right into and around the centre again.

That car park always worked well because of the pedestrian lights beside it. Lights go red for traffic coming both ways, several cars will get out of that car park because traffic is stopped and away they go out of the centre.

I just don't get the logic at what sort of traffic management scheme they run there at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was there the other morning and even when traffic was very light. But they had someone stopping traffic on the roundabouts for some bizarre reason causing a queues.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they had a guy at the entrance to the multi story today, he was loading the traffic into that car park to the point that no more cars could get in because I guess they were stopped waiting for cars to either park or come out of a space, but because he was holding traffic back to do so, it was causing queues elsewhere. There's no joined up thinking.

Advertisement