Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown shopping centre 1.5million visits this X mas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

For all the moaning about the traffic (and quite rightly) let's just spare a thought for anyone who works in the centre. I did it for a long time and it's a horrific time of year. My mum's got one day off over Christmas this year. The centre management have forced shops to stay open on Stephen's Day and they're pushing for New Year's Day now too. So.... Thank you, if you're a retail worker at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

For all the moaning about the traffic (and quite rightly) let's just spare a thought for anyone who works in the centre. I did it for a long time and it's a horrific time of year. My mum's got one day off over Christmas this year. The centre management have forced shops to stay open on Stephen's Day and they're pushing for New Year's Day now too. So.... Thank you, if you're a retail worker at this time of year.

How many people work at the centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The centre management have forced shops to stay open on Stephen's Day and they're pushing for New Year's Day now too. So.... Thank you, if you're a retail worker at this time of year.

yes, I remember when things used to shut down for a couple of days around Christmas. It's all so pointless and ultimately a misery generating machine; sort of like a spiralling out of control arms race in an ecosystem...
    It doesn't create any more money in the economy at the end of the day but if one place opens, seems they've all got to open (competitive advantage).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Obviously worth mentioning there will be a bunch diehards queueing outside next store in a couple of hours tonight! Pass it by at 3am and there will be a crowd there. Sale starts 6am tomorrow.

Redicilous. Anyone remember when everywhere in the centre was closed Stephens day.

thomasj wrote: »
    Obviously worth mentioning there will be a bunch diehards queueing outside next store in a couple of hours tonight! Pass it by at 3am and there will be a crowd there. Sale starts 6am tomorrow.

Redicilous. Anyone remember when everywhere in the centre was closed Stephens day.

When Next was in the centre the place I worked shared the same loading bay/yard. All the crap they put in the sale would be on massive rails in the yard for about a week before hand. It had plastic wrap around it but it was all sitting in all weather for days and then people were killing each other to buy it a few days later.

• Advertisement

I have a memory of it [I think] (or am I wrong & Blanch centre opened after these silly St. Stephens' Day sales became the norm, my mind gets hazy!). Feels like it was a long, long time ago now.

edit: no, not going mad yet...I think I remember it!

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I have a memory of it [I think] (or am I wrong & Blanch centre opened after these silly St. Stephens' Day sales became the norm, my mind gets hazy!). Feels like it was a long, long time ago now.

edit: no, not going mad yet...I think I remember it!

It's only in the past few years it's opened on Stephen's Day. Like maybe 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Dunnes Stores and M&S were closed yesterday.

The centre was manic yesterday. But it was grand this morning.

Yes I was there twice!!!!! (Meeting friends for a starbucks)

amdublin wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores and M&S were closed yesterday.

The centre was manic yesterday. But it was grand this morning.

Yes I was there twice!!!!! (Meeting friends for a starbucks)

Dunnes own their own unit and can do what they like. Centre management can't touch them. Surprised at M&S though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Dunnes own their own unit and can do what they like. Centre management can't touch them. Surprised at M&S though.

There were no Dunne's stores open countrywide yesterday.

• Advertisement

There were no Dunne's stores open countrywide yesterday.

Because they're Irish owned and traditionally Irish stores didn't open on St. Stephen's Day. I'd assume they operate the same business model in all their properties and therefore own all their own units so the same thing would apply everywhere. I mentioned it in relation to the Blanch centre as that's what this thread is about and the centre management are a pain in the bum when it comes to their tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

There was a fair few places not open on Stephen's day. Eason, Mr. Price, Dunnes and Homestore were all closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There was a fair few places not open on Stephen's day. Eason, Mr. Price, Dunnes and Homestore were all closed.

Proper order. Should be mandatory for all retail.

Larbre34 wrote: »

How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If people want to work and people want to buy on that day so what ? Dont see the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If people want to work and people want to buy on that day so what ? Dont see the issue

The extension of retail hours over the last 20 years, though reflective of the wider change in working practices, is anti-social and demanding for those that work in it.

My own feeling is that after the collective hysteria that is pre-Christmas, the least retail staff deserve is 2 consecutive days off to relax, have family time, or whatever. The consuming public will still have the euros in their pockets to spend come the 27th.

The extension of retail hours over the last 20 years, though reflective of the wider change in working practices, is anti-social and demanding for those that work in it.

My own feeling is that after the collective hysteria that is pre-Christmas, the least retail staff deserve is 2 consecutive days off to relax, have family time, or whatever. The consuming public will still have the euros in their pockets to spend come the 27th.

The same staff who worked up to the 24th might not be the ones in on the 26th.

The same staff who worked up to the 24th might not be the ones in on the 26th.

Depends on the size of the store and number of staff they have. The fact of the matter is you have 361 days in the year to shop. It's too bloody bad that some people can't survive without shopping 4 days of the year.

For some people they're working right up to Christmas eve themselves and Stephen's day is their first day to get out to the shops.

Completely understand the perspective of the retail worker though.

Can't please everyone :(

For some people they're working right up to Christmas eve themselves and Stephen's day is their first day to get out to the shops.

Completely understand the perspective of the retail worker though.

Can't please everyone :(

Speaking as someone who worked many Christmases in retail the last place I would want to be on St. Stephen's Day is anywhere near a shop. What could you possibly need on that day that couldn't wait until the next day anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Of course, I just don't see why anyone NEEDS to shop the day after Christmas. The shops were open right up until Christmas Eve. If you're looking for a bargain in the sales they'd all still be there first thing on the 27th if the shops weren't open on the 26th.
    It's the same strange mentality that sees people bulk buying alcohol on Holy Thursday because they won't be able to buy any on Friday. It just makes no sense to me. You can buy it all week, you can buy it on Saturday.

I was thinking more of someone working right up until Christmas eve - think any occupation e.g. nurse.

Some people see shopping as a nice way to spend their day off. Maybe they had their fill of family on xmas day and just want to go shopping??

To be honest the towncentre was packed on Stephen's day. People obviously want and use the amenity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I was thinking more of someone working right up until Christmas eve - think any occupation e.g. nurse.

Some people see shopping as a nice way to spend their day off. Maybe they had their fill of family on xmas day and just want to go shopping??

To be honest the towncentre was packed on Stephen's day. People obviously want and use the amenity.

People go because it's open. Research has shown that there's not really any extra money being spent when places open on the 26th, it's just spread over more days. It's not like people are champing at the bit to get out and spend.

I don't really get your argument about nurses or whatever. Why do they need to shop on the 26th? You could make that argument about Christmas Eve, it's their only chance to get their Christmas shopping done. What could they possibly need to buy the day after Christmas? Also most places have ridiculous opening hours in the lead up to Christmas, Blanch was open to 9 Mon-Fri all of December and until 10 Christmas week.

I get that some people just love shopping and if that's your thing then fine but I don't see how hard it is to wait one day to do it.

Patww79 wrote: »

I understand what you're saying but it sounds a lot like retail workers days off around Christmas should be secondary to everyone else's days off around Christmas.

Also, I would have thought anyone working really awful shift hours around Christmas would be grateful of the day off and want to spend it with family and/or friends. I know you can spend time with family/friends while shopping but it's hardly quality time.

People go because it's open. Research has shown that there's not really any extra money being spent when places open on the 26th, it's just spread over more days. It's not like people are champing at the bit to get out and spend.

I don't really get your argument about nurses or whatever. Why do they need to shop on the 26th? You could make that argument about Christmas Eve, it's their only chance to get their Christmas shopping done. What could they possibly need to buy the day after Christmas? Also most places have ridiculous opening hours in the lead up to Christmas, Blanch was open to 9 Mon-Fri all of December and until 10 Christmas week.

I get that some people just love shopping and if that's your thing then fine but I don't see how hard it is to wait one day to do it.

They may not need anything. They may just want something.

They may not need anything. They may just want something.

Well then it's not necessary for them to have it that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

A few years ago no shopping centre opened on St. Stephens day and that's the way it should be. The retail staff worked mad hours on the run up to Christmas. I love shopping but cannot understand why anyone would want to spend St. Stephens day in the shops. It's a day for relaxing with your family/friends. The shops will still be there on the 27th Dec.

• Advertisement

How come?

Only way it can work is to enforce it/regulate it, even if that seems oppressive. At the moment there's potential advantage for a shop to trade that day, while it is actually of no benefit to the economy, competition, the retail sector etc overall.
    I'm sure Dunnes (if they did not trade that day as others said on the thread) would be looking into what their competitors might have made and extrapolating what portion of that they can grab if they opened based on their market share...if the figures get big enough to say "hang tradition, we're losing out here", they open too!

Advertisement