Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Measuring Floor Area of a Multi-storey Building

• 10-12-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Quick query with regard to stairwells: when measuring the floor area of a development do you include the area of the stairwell on every floor?

I ask because I recall having a conversation with a planner or fire officer a few years back and they advised that the floor area of the stairwell on the ground floor only should be included in the calculation but I can't find anything online to verify this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tim76 wrote: »
    Quick query with regard to stairwells: when measuring the floor area of a development do you include the area of the stairwell on every floor?

I ask because I recall having a conversation with a planner or fire officer a few years back and they advised that the floor area of the stairwell on the ground floor only should be included in the calculation but I can't find anything online to verify this.

I've worked for 4 firms over a 20 year span & in them all we always included the area of the stairwell on upper floor levels when calculating floor areas for planning/fsc/dac fee's & for commercial rates/licencing etc.

I actually dont remember it ever being discussed though, it just always happened that way & was never questioned.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I know it's not directly relevant to your specific question but when doing BERs as far as I know the guideline is that you take the area of the stairwell on each floor.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

all depends on the reason your measuring the floor area.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Planning app & FSC for the whole building as opposed to a single floor.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tim76 wrote: »
    Planning app & FSC for the whole building as opposed to a single floor.

then the relevant legislation is
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,8797,en.pdf

page 2
    gross floor space” means the area ascertained
    by the internal measurement of the floor space
    on each floor of a building (including internal
    walls and partitions), disregarding any floor
    space provided for the parking of vehicles by
    persons occupying or using the building or
    buildings where such floor space is incidental
    to the primary purpose of the building;

• Advertisement
Advertisement