Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

brokensoul wrote:
    That said, he assures me that he has no plans to "whip them out" anytime soon and I am not in danger of early labour. Had my last internal scan this morning - no more dildocam!!!!!

:-) brokensoul, I love your dildocam description of the internal exams! Made me smile!

I'm struggling today, I dunno if it's the heat, the vaccination or a mixture of both, but I really didn't feel well earlier on, now I'm just sore all over. But I did make a start on the bags though. Mine is pretty much packed. Not much done with baby's yet as all the clothes etc had to be washed. I can't believe all the washing that there was though already. I washed all the clothes iv bought as well as bedding/blankets/towels etc, basically everything baby related.
    I also bought a memory box and a sketchbook today for baby. Everything of significance will be thrown into the box and I plan on using the sketchbook to jot down things and stick photos in it along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Girl baba has been kicking me in the bladder all evening. I think we will be sending her for Irish dancing lessons when she arrives!

How's everyone getting on?

I had another hospital appt today. Was watching this dr going up and down the corridor, really dothery way about him. Next thing I saw he had my file and I was kinda like uhoh.... but as it turns out he's been the best dr iv seen so far. Asked me loads of questions, took and wrote down details, reassured me about the cysts and explained when they would/wouldn't be in the way during labour/birth etc. Then he measured my bump and checked the babies HB and gave us a bit extra time listening to it after he had said he was happy. It was so nice having a dr that actually had the time to explain stuff.

Found out today that Mullingar only do one scheduled scan for everyone, at the booking appointment. Any other scan you have is due to something coming up in physical exam not adding up or if there are complications etc. I wasn't going to get a third trimester private scan because I thought there would be one through the hospital. I'm not sure now what to do.

I hope everyone is doing good!

scarepanda wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on?

I had another hospital appt today. Was watching this dr going up and down the corridor, really dothery way about him. Next thing I saw he had my file and I was kinda like uhoh.... but as it turns out he's been the best dr iv seen so far. Asked me loads of questions, took and wrote down details, reassured me about the cysts and explained when they would/wouldn't be in the way
    during labour/birth etc. Then he measured my bump and checked the babies HB and gave us a bit extra time listening to it after he had said he was happy. It was so nice having a dr that actually had the time to explain stuff.
    Found out today that Mullingar only do one scheduled scan for everyone, at the booking appointment. Any other scan you have is due to something coming up in physical exam not adding up or if there are complications etc. I wasn't going to get a third trimester private scan because I thought there would be one through the hospital. I'm not sure now what to do.

I hope everyone is doing good!

Hey, glad to hear you had a good hospital visit, the reassurance is so nice!

Can't really give you any advice regarding the scan as I am getting scanned so often it seems alien to me not to have regular scans. It would seem though that I am the exception rather than you.

I don't know about the rest of you but I am constantly on high alert for signs of pre-eclampsia or early labour or anything else that might go wrong.

Went to the loo at work today and all of a sudden my vision felt funny, like it was flashing behind my eyes. I had a good 5 seconds of panic before I realised that the light bulb in the bathroom was on the blink!!!!!

My husband has been mocking me all evening about it, but to be fair he isn't the one growing two humans!

• Advertisement

brokensoul wrote:
    Hey, glad to hear you had a good hospital visit, the reassurance is so nice!

brokensoul wrote:
    Can't really give you any advice regarding the scan as I am getting scanned so often it seems alien to me not to have regular scans. It would seem though that I am the exception rather than you.

Thanks brokensoul! It sure is nice to have a dr that can take the time to talk through and explain things and not make you feel like an ejit for not already knowing something! He was so dithery though (in a cute kinda way) that I was finding it difficult to keep in the giggles! My OH was impressed at how quickly he got HB. Last time the dr took ages to find it!

Ya, your lucky though. I really dunno what to do. Think I might go for it just for the reassurance, even though I know it's not really essential as the anatomy scan was OK, cysts have been checked and HB and movement have been grand. Wasn't to bothered about going privately again after the anatomy scan, but I did think that there would be at least one more scan through hospital. I dunno if it's just me, but I find it weird that they only do one scan at 14ish weeks. How do they plan for complications that may not be picked up so early?

How are you feeling anyways brokensoul? Bump getting big? I can feel the bump gets very tired in the evenings. Just uncomfortable and achy and it needs a cushion of its own in bed now:-)!! How's babies growth/size?

Thanks brokensoul! It sure is nice to have a dr that can take the time to talk through and explain things and not make you feel like an ejit for not already knowing something! He was so dithery though (in a cute kinda way) that I was finding it difficult to keep in the giggles! My OH was impressed at how quickly he got HB. Last time the dr took ages to find it!

Ya, your lucky though. I really dunno what to do. Think I might go for it just for the reassurance, even though I know it's not really essential as the anatomy scan was OK, cysts have been checked and HB and movement have been grand. Wasn't to bothered about going privately again after the anatomy scan, but I did think that there would be at least one more scan through hospital. I dunno if it's just me, but I find it weird that they only do one scan at 14ish weeks. How do they plan for complications that may not be picked up so early?

How are you feeling anyways brokensoul? Bump getting big? I can feel the bump gets very tired in the evenings. Just uncomfortable and achy and it needs a cushion of its own in bed now:-)!! How's babies growth/size?

I am doing good thanks. Getting a bit more tired and achy at this stage. Had my scan this morning and all looks good, back again to have them weighed next week. They were 2lbs6 and 2lb9 last week so ideally they will be over 3lbs at the next scan.

Have a long week's work next week. My boss is on holidays so I am in charge. Kinda dreading the tiredness, but once next week is over it should (famous last words!) be plain sailing to finishing up. Hoping to stop working at 34 weeks, if I can keep going that long.

How are you feeling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Week 33 of life in the womb is really getting me down. I feel like my baby is having his own Euros in my womb with kick after kick. I have really bad insomnia waking up around 4 or 5 every morning for the last week too. It's really wearing me down and making me a bit depressed. I feel very anxious about everything which isn't usually like me. I finish work on Tuesday which is a serious bonus. I have always had an inkling that this baby would be born early. I suppose we'll see soon.

Sorry for being a moaning Mary and I hope everyone is feeling good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Haven't been posting much lately but love catching up with all the updates.

Got my whooping cough vaccine on Thursday. Arm is killing me since.
    Made our first baby purchase last weekend! Finally picked our car seat and buggy. Ended up going for the joolz day. Glad to have it out of the way now.

we are making progress slowly but surely with the to do list so I'm starting to feel a bit less panicked. Won't be even thinking of the hospital bag for another few weeks. I can relate to those who say they have had a mental block with it. I was the exact same on my first.

Judge trudy I could've written your post a few weeks ago. Can totally relate, mind yourself.

Scarepanda it is so crap how the different hospitals vary regarding scans. On my last pregnancy the 20 week scan was the only standard public scan in Galway. Now that's been changed to 12 and 20 which seems to be in line with many other public hospitals around the country. I am booked in for a 37 week growth scan to see how baby's size is but that's not routine.

I'm so tired, to the point where I constantly feel like puking! Work is so busy with trying to wrap up projects. Have given my end date to my boss so all going well im finishing on August 4th.

My pelvis is in bits too. Didn't have any of the aches and pains that I'm experiencing now the last time.

Happy weekend!!

Happy weekend to you too Cant 26!

I went to a breastfeeding class during the week. Still not sure how feasible it is with twins but feel an awful lot more prepared since doing it. The lady giving it compared breastfeeding to driving a car - really hard to get all the bits right at the start but over time it becomes second nature. She also pointed out that you wouldn't try and learn to drive just after giving birth so ditto with breastfeeding!

She also said that if you manage to breast feed for 3 days post birth that she would consider that a success, everything after that is a bonus, which I thought was a lovely way of looking at it.

Anyone else thinking of breastfeeding?

• Advertisement

Hi ladies!

I'm sorry some of ye are having a hard time of it with aches and pains etc. Iv been lucky, my only major compliant at the moment is still my back, but can manage it most of the time. Had a wedding in Limerick during the week, had to stop halfway down to stretch it and the bump, I was so uncomfortable!

I kinda hurt my bump earlier on today sowing some veg, think I stretched to far. Himself wasn't too happy with me:-/. The hardest thing I'm finding at the moment is not being able to do stuff like Hoovering etc. I just find it to hard on the back, and I feel so guilty that himself has to pick up the slack. We've still got stuff to do in the garden, but I'm not really able to do any of it. Iv asked my family if they would give me a hand, but iv gotten to the point that I'm not going to ask anymore because I could be waiting till next year with them and then I'll never hear the end of it if they do actually do something. Yet they still call down and start giving orders/opinions on what we should/shouldn't do..... were renting so want to do/spend as little as possible to get the garden fixed up right, but they don't understand that.

Brokensoul, I'm planning on breastfeeding, although I haven't done anything about it yet. There is a consultant in the hospital that I think holds a class for ladies interested in it closer to EDD. The midwife mentioned it a month ago, but I must ask about it again at the next hospital appointment.

Anyone doing antenatal classes? Iv mine starting in 3 weeks, over 5 night. Partners only welcome for the last two. They won't be at the classes covering e different stages of labour or pain relief, which i kinda find a bit strange.

My midwife will do our antenatal class. I get to skip all the bits on labour and pain relief as I am a planned section so she covers it all in one three hour class.

I am due to do it on the 14th of July, hopefully I will still be prenatal at that stage!!!

I'm planning on breastfeeding too girls. I didn't with my son so this is all new territory! What kind of class was it brokensoul? Was it in the hospital or a private one?

I was going to do a private one because the times in the hospital not suiting due to work commitments. I ended up not booking it because I thought it might be better to put the money towards a lactation consultant when the baby is here. So the only preparation I've done is done reading and checked out a few videos on latching techniques. Loads of time yet!

Scarepanda I've booked a refresher ante natal class in the hospital for the middle of July. It is just for the mums. Think it just goes through pain reliefs and feeding. I only made two of the four classes last time.

Ahhhhh baby has been moving so much since last night... I'm loving it ;-)!!! Himself also got to feel baby move lots this morning without baby going on strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Just popping in (from April 15 thread!) re breastfeeding. There are some great fb breastfeeding groups, should be one for your county and then some Irish ones. There's also Cuidiu so google that and find your local meetups and members, you can call them any time for advice and help. Still bf here at nearly 15 months, got great help and support from Cuidiu and the big fb pages, no help at all from the hospital lactation consultant. Main things to read up on are cluster feeds, the tiny size of newborns stomachs and how little they need, when milk comes in, and to brace yourself for constant/endless feeds being normal but tiring in the first weeks.

Ahhhhh baby has been moving so much since last night... I'm loving it ;-)!!! Himself also got to feel baby move lots this morning without baby going on strike!

That's lovely. My bump tends to go on strike too when daddy goes to feel the kicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 okonomiyaki

Just popping in (from April 15 thread!) re breastfeeding. There are some great fb breastfeeding groups, should be one for your county and then some Irish ones. There's also Cuidiu so google that and find your local meetups and members, you can call them any time for advice and help. Still bf here at nearly 15 months, got great help and support from Cuidiu and the big fb pages, no help at all from the hospital lactation consultant. Main things to read up on are cluster feeds, the tiny size of newborns stomachs and how little they need, when milk comes in, and to brace yourself for constant/endless feeds being normal but tiring in the first weeks.

Thanks spottybananas, good advice there. still bf my 2.5 yr old, though pretty sure theres nothing there atm. Def second the fb groups, i would not have survived if it wasnt for EBI. I dont think a lactation consultant was even mentioned in the Rotunda, and I know the midwives were full of terrible advice... like hold the babys hands back out of the way! and push her head right in there! bleeding nipples are normal... lol. no theyre not!!!
    Cuidiu and support groups are everywhere and are often also at the end of the phone so if youre trying to bf, dont go through it alone, you will end up packing it in. Health nurses and GPs often dont know much about it so you need an actual expert if youre having any problems, which you might not at all!

Im going to chiropractor this week, i can barely walk and am in so much pain. I hope it does something. 10 weeks left so i cant go on for that length in this much pain.
    On the bright side im finishing up work on Friday so cant wait to relax and listen to my gentlebirth CDs and read my Ina May book.

How is everyone feeling?

cant26 wrote: »
    I'm planning on breastfeeding too girls. I didn't with my son so this is all new territory! What kind of class was it brokensoul? Was it in the hospital or a private one?

I was going to do a private one because the times in the hospital not suiting due to work commitments. I ended up not booking it because I thought it might be better to put the money towards a lactation consultant when the baby is here. So the only preparation I've done is done reading and checked out a few videos on latching techniques. Loads of time yet!

Scarepanda I've booked a refresher ante natal class in the hospital for the middle of July. It is just for the mums. Think it just goes through pain reliefs and feeding. I only made two of the four classes last time.

It was a private class, run by a woman in Cork called Clare Boyle. €100 for a 4 hour class, but you can claim some of that back on health insurance.

I found it really useful as I had no info on bf at all. She even got us to do demos with a tiny tears doll! Great to get a feel for the different feeding positions and all that.

To be honest, it has given me the confidence to give it a go and to maybe not beat myself up too much if it doesn't work. Also, she is a lactation consultant so at least I now know who to ring if i need help!

@okonomiyaki - feeling good. 31 weeks today so hoping to get another 6 weeks or the most of it anyway!!

brokensoul wrote: »
    It was a private class, run by a woman in Cork called Clare Boyle. €100 for a 4 hour class, but you can claim some of that back on health insurance.

I found it really useful as I had no info on bf at all. She even got us to do demos with a tiny tears doll! Great to get a feel for the different feeding positions and all that.

To be honest, it has given me the confidence to give it a go and to maybe not beat myself up too much if it doesn't work. Also, she is a lactation consultant so at least I now know who to ring if i need help!

@okonomiyaki - feeling good. 31 weeks today so hoping to get another 6 weeks or the most of it anyway!!

That sounds great brokensoul. I just looked up the one I was thinking of doing and it's on again in July so might just do it. Like you said for the confidence to give it a go. Also think I'll bring my OH with me so he can get an understanding of the whole thing!
    My friend/sister in law is a midwife and said she will be on hand to help too so maybe I don't need the lactation consultant so! She's breastfed two so will have personal experience too. Another friend added me to an extended breastfeeding Facebook group but it wasn't my cup of tea so unadded myself.

Getting excited now! Going to get the Moses basket from my parents house next week and start washing the baby clothes. Want to buy a few new bits too for this baby so will see what I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Last time I was pregnant I went straight for the girly clothes as I was between two hospitals and I knew for sure she was a girl with all the scans. I wouldn't have much neutral stuff so I'm buying from scratch this time again. I went a bit mad last night and I got 80e worth of clothes from Next but had a 15e off code so wasn't too bad. Got the cutest car sleepsuits and little red cardigan. Got some newborn scratch mittens, hats and socks too. I can't believe within two months there will be someone small enough to wear them living in the house :). I was asking in Next and there should be a sale on mid July so will pick up some older stuff then.

• Advertisement

Last time I was pregnant I went straight for the girly clothes as I was between two hospitals and I knew for sure she was a girl with all the scans. I wouldn't have much neutral stuff so I'm buying from scratch this time again. I went a bit mad last night and I got 80e worth of clothes from Next but had a 15e off code so wasn't too bad. Got the cutest car sleepsuits and little red cardigan. Got some newborn scratch mittens, hats and socks too. I can't believe within two months there will be someone small enough to wear them living in the house :). I was asking in Next and there should be a sale on mid July so will pick up some older stuff then.

Love next clothes! It's great when they have the codes offer (even if it's not as good value now!). Will have to keep an eye out for the sale in July.

I'll have to get moving on getting up to speed on bf! Must have a chat with some of my friends and see if they can recommend anyone around about. Only recently learned that there's some foods you can't eat while bf.....!

Are ye getting much extra in the way of clothes for when ye get home with baby? Iv only gotten pretty much whats on the hospital list and only have a few spares left in the drawers. Was kinda thinking that himself could run out to Penney's etc after baby arrives (he'll be kicked out of the hospital for a few hours in the middle of the day) and get gender specific clothes in the right size. Pretty sure baby will be smallish, but you never know!

Iv also heard more good things about the hospital. A relation (of sorts) had a baby by section there during the week and was briefly chatting to the dad yesterday and he had no faults whatsoever with the hospital/care etc. I know everyone's experience us different, but it's reassuring to hear!

I'll have to get moving on getting up to speed on bf! Must have a chat with some of my friends and see if they can recommend anyone around about. Only recently learned that there's some foods you can't eat while bf.....!

Are ye getting much extra in the way of clothes for when ye get home with baby? Iv only gotten pretty much whats on the hospital list and only have a few spares left in the drawers. Was kinda thinking that himself could run out to Penney's etc after baby arrives (he'll be kicked out of the hospital for a few hours in the middle of the day) and get gender specific clothes in the right size. Pretty sure baby will be smallish, but you never know!

Iv also heard more good things about the hospital. A relation (of sorts) had a baby by section there during the week and was briefly chatting to the dad yesterday and he had no faults whatsoever with the hospital/care etc. I know everyone's experience us different, but it's reassuring to hear!

Scarepanda I could be wrong but I don't think there are any foods that can't be eaten while breastfeeding. I thought this too until I'd read up on it and apparently you can eat whatever you want. Maybe if your baby has an obvious reaction to a certain food then it might be a good idea to try and cut it out for a while.
    Again I could be wrong but between what I've read and seeing my friends eat whatever they want, drink coffee(in moderation!) and even a glass of wine the odd time I'm going on that basis.

On the baby clothes I'll have loads this time round as we are having another boy so have most kept from my son. I knew we were having a boy the last time so had bought a good few packs of baby grows and vests. I like to be prepared though so do whatever suits you. The more I had meant the more time I got away without doing a wash! Super important in the hazy first few weeks!!!

cant26 wrote: »
    Scarepanda I could be wrong but I don't think there are any foods that can't be eaten while breastfeeding. I thought this too until I'd read up on it and apparently you can eat whatever you want. Maybe if your baby has an obvious reaction to a certain food then it might be a good idea to try and cut it out for a while.
    Again I could be wrong but between what I've read and seeing my friends eat whatever they want, drink coffee(in moderation!) and even a glass of wine the odd time I'm going on that basis.

On the baby clothes I'll have loads this time round as we are having another boy so have most kept from my son. I knew we were having a boy the last time so had bought a good few packs of baby grows and vests. I like to be prepared though so do whatever suits you. The more I had meant the more time I got away without doing a wash! Super important in the hazy first few weeks!!!

The breastfeeding consultant that gave that class last week said it was ok to eat whatever and even to have the odd glass of wine! Apparently, the breast is a better filter than the placenta, because we are meant to breastfeed for longer than we are pregnant! She said that if the baby seemed upset or the nappies were not the colour and consistency that they should be then that might indicate an intolerance of some sort, which might lead to needing to change your diet at bit.

I have very few extra clothes apart from what the hospital recommend as I have no idea how small our two are going to be. We live in the city centre so I figure my husband or mum or whoever can pop out and buy a few bits if we need them.

Ladies, I honestly haven't a clue! It's just what I was told yesterday. I would have thought though that it would be something that as a general thing would be well known like not being able to eat certain things while pregnant..... turnip and fried onions where what was specifically mentioned. I don't really believe it though.... nuts or something like that that causes allergies then I'd fully understand.

I love being prepared as well! Himself thinks I'm crazy for having the essentials already packed in the hospital bags! But everyone says not to but to many clothes, that we'll get loads as presents, which I can understand, but im still a bit worried about not having a supply here at home. Himself is the complete opposite to me, as relaxed as you can get and takes everything as it comes! And one of the granddad's is adamant that we should only get 3-6months.... he thinks the baby will be big like all on my OHs side!

Ladies, I honestly haven't a clue! It's just what I was told yesterday. I would have thought though that it would be something that as a general thing would be well known like not being able to eat certain things while pregnant..... turnip and fried onions where what was specifically mentioned. I don't really believe it though.... nuts or something like that that causes allergies then I'd fully understand.

I love being prepared as well! Himself thinks I'm crazy for having the essentials already packed in the hospital bags! But everyone says not to but to many clothes, that we'll get loads as presents, which I can understand, but im still a bit worried about not having a supply here at home. Himself is the complete opposite to me, as relaxed as you can get and takes everything as it comes! And one of the granddad's is adamant that we should only get 3-6months.... he thinks the baby will be big like all on my OHs side!

Well if you like to be prepared then don't leave yourself short! Or have your OH fully briefed on all things baby clothes. My partner is fantastic but I know it took a week or so for him to get to grips with babygros, different types of vests/bodysuits! It was all a bit of a mine field for him at the start.
    I found I got very little clothes and the clothes we did get we're not in newborn 0-3 month sizes.
    Lol at grandads advice! My son was over 10lb at birth and there's no way 3-6 months babygros would've fitted him! 0-3 months were good.

Met with consultant this morning. Usual story, twins are small but growing.

He has booked me in for a section on the 26th of July, all going well!!!! He is not sure that I will make it that far, but he seems happy that once I make it past 32 weeks (which is this Sunday) that they will be mature enough for delivery and we will take it week by week after that.

Mad to have a date though, makes it very real. Only 5 weeks away!!

Growth scan on Thursday at the hospital, so we will see how much weight they have put on at that stage.

brokensoul wrote:

He has booked me in for a section on the 26th of July, all going well!!!! He is not sure that I will make it that far, but he seems happy that once I make it past 32 weeks (which is this Sunday) that they will be mature enough for delivery and we will take it week by week after that.

Growth scan on Thursday at the hospital, so we will see how much weight they have put on at that stage.

Oh brokensoul, that's so exciting!!!

brokensoul wrote: »

Wow brokensoul, that's so exciting. Great that the twins are doing well.

• Advertisement

I am just after the most uncomfortable, restless day at work. Can't really lean into my desk atm!! How the heck am I going to do this for another 6.5weeks :(

Bit the bullet and went for a huge walk tonight. It was great. I am hoping it will help with the restlessness and the fresh air was amazing. Was in bits at the end but fine again now.

My mum was at me to start my hospital bag! It brought back the memories of last time when she was trying to get me to at least start thinking about it at this stage. Have no desire to even think about it. I don't even have a list. Where did ye all get the lists from?

Advertisement