Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

It must be in the air today, iv been so restless today, couldn't settle on anything. I didn't have a clue what to eat for dinner and ended up having about 3 different dinners and deserts! Eating ice cream now ;-)!!

I got my list from the hospital, in a little booklet that they gave me. I also had a look at eumom or whatever it's called for any extras. In the end iv pretty much stuck to what was on the hospital list.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

scarepanda wrote: »
    It must be in the air today, iv been so restless today, couldn't settle on anything. I didn't have a clue what to eat for dinner and ended up having about 3 different dinners and deserts! Eating ice cream now ;-)!!

I got my list from the hospital, in a little booklet that they gave me. I also had a look at eumom or whatever it's called for any extras. In the end iv pretty much stuck to what was on the hospital list.

Haha why not! If there's ever a time for three dinners and deserts I think it's now!!
    Thanks, I'll check out the eumom website. I probably got something in the pack they give at the booking appointment but think I've dumped it.

Ya, the eumom page was pretty much along the same lines as what was in the hospital booklet.

I was so restless last night, my back or bump weren't too uncomfortable, but I could not get comfortable. I was twisting and turning all night long and didn't have a great night's sleep.
    I'll need to get out of the house today though, I'll go mad otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

brokensoul wrote: »
    Met with consultant this morning. Usual story, twins are small but growing.

He has booked me in for a section on the 26th of July, all going well!!!! He is not sure that I will make it that far, but he seems happy that once I make it past 32 weeks (which is this Sunday) that they will be mature enough for delivery and we will take it week by week after that.

Mad to have a date though, makes it very real. Only 5 weeks away!!

Growth scan on Thursday at the hospital, so we will see how much weight they have put on at that stage.

How exciting Brokensoul but nerve wrecking too. I hope it all goes to plan for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

As of this morning the twins weigh a bouncing 3lb6oz and a more petite 2lb12oz.

Consultant happy with both though so I can stay working and out of hospital for another week!

• Advertisement

Aw that's brilliant Brokensoul! Delighted that the consultant is happy with both of them.

Ladies,

Sorry if this is tmi, but at this stage is it normal to have short sharpish (but not to painful) shooting pains down below? Noticed them over the last few days, but it's been worse today....

Ladies,

Sorry if this is tmi, but at this stage is it normal to have short sharpish (but not to painful) shooting pains down below? Noticed them over the last few days, but it's been worse today....

I have gotten them a few times, but only maybe one or two and then might not get them again for a week.

My midwife said they were probably pressure related as they were doing internal scans and my cervix was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Popping in from June thread. I think what you're feeling is very common. Some ladies call it lightening crotch! Google it and you'll see...

Thanks girls!

I had a quick Google of lightning crotch and it does sound similar. I must check and see if it's too early for head to be engaging..... baby has been head down at all appts since I had scan at the beginning of June. I noticed last night that movement was alot lower down than normal, felt right down there below the bump if that makes sense. I'll be doing alot of googling over the weekend I think! I usually just take it as it comes....

Iv a GP appt first thing Monday so I'll mention it to her then.

Thanks again ladies!

• Advertisement

I'm feeling movement lower down too atm scarepanda. Was also going to say it sounded like lightening crotch! Oh the joys of pregnancy!!!!

Thanks cant26!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one! The joys of pregnancy is right! ****s getting real now though... 7 weeks left for me to EDD! Trying not to think about the birth, coz when I do I start to get a bit freaked out about the unknown of it all!

Thanks cant26!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one! The joys of pregnancy is right! ****s getting real now though... 7 weeks left for me to EDD! Trying not to think about the birth, coz when I do I start to get a bit freaked out about the unknown of it all!

I've 6 weeks left now! I thought I was so organised and went to pack up my hospital bag yesterday. You'd think I was heading away clubbing to Ibiza for 2 weeks. I had loads of travel size toiletries and not a lot else. Will have to stock up on the Mammy essentials like breast pads, granny pants, witch hazel etc

I'm not too nervous about the actual birth because I had such a great experience with my first child. I'm hoping it'll be easier this time. Trying to keep a positive state of mind :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 okonomiyaki

gentlebirth is really good to keep you relaxed, if you have time for a weekend course i would really recommend it, or try the app either, its a bit more practical maybe cos you can read a bit or listen every day. I downloaded The Business of Being Born, its another eye opener about the system too, and though we have midwives here, its basically the same situation in the hospitals here. i dont think its scarey or will freak you out, i actually think its good to understand the terms and know what they are asking your permission for etc. good to read and be prepared. On the other hand stay away from those one born every minute and negative stories.

Thanks ladies!

What's weird is that iv watched some one born any minute and it didn't freak me out in the least, was able to watch it and not start worrying!
    I think I'm just worried about how ill manage everything that will happen, pain/procedures/the what ifs etc. Even the how/when/where I'll go into labour and get to the hospital is on my mind......I dunno.
    I think I'll look into gentle birth over the weekend and see what the story is with it. Anything iv heard about it so far leads me to think that it would help.

I have bypassed worrying about the birth (mainly because it is a planned section and so entirely out of my hands) and gone directly to worrying about how I am going to cope with two babas!

brokensoul wrote:
    I have bypassed worrying about the birth (mainly because it is a planned section and so entirely out of my hands) and gone directly to worrying about how I am going to cope with two babas!

Haha brokensoul.... i can't even imagine what it will be like having our own baby...... I think iv just developed a mental block to birth and afterwards! I'm not used to babies, especially newborns. At least himself has plenty of experience, he's the second oldest of 8!! But baby will be first grandchild on both sides. But

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 okonomiyaki

Thanks ladies!

What's weird is that iv watched some one born any minute and it didn't freak me out in the least, was able to watch it and not start worrying!
    I think I'm just worried about how ill manage everything that will happen, pain/procedures/the what ifs etc. Even the how/when/where I'll go into labour and get to the hospital is on my mind......I dunno.
    I think I'll look into gentle birth over the weekend and see what the story is with it. Anything iv heard about it so far leads me to think that it would help.

well ive never watched the one born every minute, i just know from listening to others talk about it that its not something i want to watch!!
    gentle birth talks about visualising the day, and making a mind movie of what will happen, not that you know what time of day youre going to go into labour or anything, but i think the act of visualising it, just making something up, helps with making the whole process seem real and you feel more in control then, i mean at the end of the day you are having a baby so the main part of what you are picturing will be correct! even imagining lifting your baby up and holding them at your chest can really motivate you when you are in labour. it will help keep you relaxed (as much as is possible, just keeps you remembering what a special day it really is) and full of oxytocin, same goes for looking at pics of babies, so if you have any baby relations, put some baby pics in your phone to help you relax. sounds a bit silly but they say it actually works.
    the pain is not as bad as people tell you, i was told it was like having your leg sawn off... it wasnt at all. i had a filling when i was 12 that was more painful than having my first baby. the what ifs are still there the second time around, unfortunately, though i hear the second will be faster. my first labour was 6 hours total, and for 4 of them very little happened as things completely slowed down in the hospital, because i couldnt move around or get off the bed. so this time i will be making sure i change midwife if shes being one of those types! walking around is so important to allow the pelvis to move and let the baby come down. If you picture it as being easy, that every contraction is a step closer to holding the baby, that your body is completely able to give birth, just like millions before you, tell yourself that you can manage the pain, its only for a few more seconds, etc. you will be surprised how well you can manage. Trying to relax is really important, because if your body tenses up it makes the contractions less effective i think. you need to relax and let your body do the work. i had a few massages in the weeks leading up to the due date, just to practice being relaxed, and of course to help! I dont take pain very well generally, but during labour I was completely different, it was grand. i actually didnt think it was time to go to the hospital, even though contractions were 5 mins apart, it didnt really feel like it could be labour. I would really read up on gentlebirth or hypnobirthing. There are women on youtube giving birth like its nothing! Thats what i want! Though in reality i think there was two minutes of screaming at the end, i think that was mostly because i was on my back, rather than squatting, which is what i should have done, i just wasnt thinking and the midwife just hooshed me up on to the bed. so thats another reason to have a birth preference list, because something things happen so fast you dont have time to think.

I am really not mentally prepared for this baby. I know im pregnant, i am so uncomfortable all the time its not like i forget, but i am forgetting that theres going to be another little baby to take care of, that it will need a name! and clothes! and a place to sleep! I finished up work today so hopefully ill get my head into it now.

where did everyone get hospital bag things? i havent even looked at the list yet.

@ okonomiyaki- mixture of Dunnes and Boots for most of my hospital bag stuff.

Odd day for me. Down in west Cork with the in-laws. This day last year I was down here as well and I found out that I was pregnant, though unfortunately we lost that baby later. Back here now 32 weeks pregnant. What a roller coaster the last year has been !

well ive never watched the one born every minute, i just know from listening to others talk about it that its not something i want to watch!! gentle birth talks about visualising the day, and making a mind movie of what will happen, not that you know what time of day youre going to go into labour or anything, but i think the act of visualising it, just making something up, helps with making the whole process seem real and you feel more in control then, i mean at the end of the day you are having a baby so the main part of what you are picturing will be correct! even imagining lifting your baby up and holding them at your chest can really motivate you when you are in labour. it will help keep you relaxed (as much as is possible, just keeps you remembering what a special day it really is) and full of oxytocin, same goes for looking at pics of babies, so if you have any baby relations, put some baby pics in your phone to help you relax. sounds a bit silly but they say it actually works. the pain is not as bad as people tell you, i was told it was like having your leg sawn off... it wasnt at all. i had a filling when i was 12 that was more painful than having my first baby. the what ifs are still there the second time around, unfortunately, though i hear the second will be faster. my first labour was 6 hours total, and for 4 of them very little happened as things completely slowed down in the hospital, because i couldnt move around or get off the bed. so this time i will be making sure i change midwife if shes being one of those types! walking around is so important to allow the pelvis to move and let the baby come down. If you picture it as being easy, that every contraction is a step closer to holding the baby, that your body is completely able to give birth, just like millions before you, tell yourself that you can manage the pain, its only for a few more seconds, etc. you will be surprised how well you can manage. Trying to relax is really important, because if your body tenses up it makes the contractions less effective i think. you need to relax and let your body do the work. i had a few massages in the weeks leading up to the due date, just to practice being relaxed, and of course to help! I dont take pain very well generally, but during labour I was completely different, it was grand. i actually didnt think it was time to go to the hospital, even though contractions were 5 mins apart, it didnt really feel like it could be labour. I would really read up on gentlebirth or hypnobirthing. There are women on youtube giving birth like its nothing! Thats what i want! Though in reality i think there was two minutes of screaming at the end, i think that was mostly because i was on my back, rather than squatting, which is what i should have done, i just wasnt thinking and the midwife just hooshed me up on to the bed. so thats another reason to have a birth preference list, because something things happen so fast you dont have time to think.

Thank you so much okonomiyaki for all that info and advice! I was having a bit of a freak out moment the other night!
    I watched that documentary you recommended last night and found it really helpful!
    Iv also been trying to visualise a situation where I go into labour and how it might progress, which will hopefully help. I'm going to look further into gentle birth today.
    I also spoke to my partner about everything that was going through my mind and it's helped alot. Hes as cool as cucumber and always manages to get through to me! I know baby probably won't arrive till the 3rd week of August, but I can't get it out of my head that baby will arrive early, before we have everything sorted. Baby's room is done, a bed needs to be taken out, but most things baby related is ready and waiting to go. But the house needs a thorough clean out and I'm not necessarily able to do everything now with my back (stooping is a big no no these days), so yesterday he got up before me and started doing housework and sorting out some rooms! I helped as much as I could obviously, but it was such a weight lifted off my shoulder to have most of the house respectable by yesterday evening!
    I'm also worried about my Mam not knowing boundaries, but he's said that he'll deal with her when the time comes!

Thank you again!

On a brighter note, I had a bad dose of silly baby brain yesterday, firstly tried to pour juice with the lid on and then when was tidying up tried to put the glass into the fridge instead of the juice!

I got most of my stuff from boots, Penney's and tescos. Have very little clothes, only really what's on the hospital list, but will get himself pick up some stuff when baby arrives and we know if it's a girl or boy.

Ah brokensoul, I can't imagine the mixed emotions your going through this weekend. At least your on the home stretch to having your little babies in your arms this time xxx

• Advertisement

Thinking of you brokensoul. Must be a very mixed bag of emotions. Hope you're doing ok.

Had a lovely weekend. Little boy went to his grandparents for a sleepover last night and we went for a fab meal and wander through town. Place was hopping! Lovely to have some time together. We are trying to get as many date nights and family adventures in before this little one appears!

Still tipping away at the to do list and it is all coming together. Finally. Finding the discomfort the last few days to be off the charts. Not sure if they has moved position or what but it's torture(dramatic I know!!!). I think this baby is going to take after his brother in the height department! I'm really tall with a long torso so at 32 weeks I should have a bit more growing room before I get to this level of discomfort.

Thanks lads, I am actually doing ok. In fairness, in the context of how awful a mmc can be I was lucky. We had frozen embryos so we didn't have to start IVF again and I was pregnant again very quickly after the mmc.

I suppose it was just odd to find myself in the same place on the same day this year.

On a far less melancholy note, I am 32 weeks today - big milestone for a twin pregnancy!!! More than anything I am happy about that.

I hear you on the discomfort Can't - I feel like a small crane when I turn in bed at night!

brokensoul wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I am actually doing ok. In fairness, in the context of how awful a mmc can be I was lucky. We had frozen embryos so we didn't have to start IVF again and I was pregnant again very quickly after the mmc.

I suppose it was just odd to find myself in the same place on the same day this year.

On a far less melancholy note, I am 32 weeks today - big milestone for a twin pregnancy!!! More than anything I am happy about that.

I hear you on the discomfort Can't - I feel like a small crane when I turn in bed at night!

Woohoo for 32 weeks! Must be a great relief to know that anything past here is a bonus. I honestly can't imagine having two of them in here! The thoughts of sitting at my desk tomorrow are not nice.. I am like a crane too!

brokensoul wrote:

cant26 wrote:
    Woohoo for 32 weeks! Must be a great relief to know that anything past here is a bonus. I honestly can't imagine having two of them in here! The thoughts of sitting at my desk tomorrow are not nice.. I am like a crane too!

I'm awful awkward as well turning in bed, which happens quite often. Iv read though, and tried it a couple of times, to turn facing the bed rather than facing the ceiling if that makes sense and that it's a lot easier and I think it's true. Iv tried it a couple of times when conscious enough to remember, but usually half asleep and only remember when I twig something in the bump!
    Iv another GP appt tomorrow... I think I'll be down to weekly apps after next hospital appt which is in two weeks! The times flying in!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

New to this thread. It's lovely & great idea. Due baby number 2 on 17th August. So just 7 weeks left. First baby is 2 next week. So far so good. How everyone feeling? Anyone suffering from severe heart burn

New to this thread. It's lovely & great idea. Due baby number 2 on 17th August. So just 7 weeks left. First baby is 2 next week. So far so good. How everyone feeling? Anyone suffering from severe heart burn

Welcome welcome.

Generally feeling ok, but am wrecked this evening. I swear I could hear the water sloshing around my ankles as I walked home from work, so swollen were they!

Get a bit of hgeart burn on the days that I take my iron supplement but nothing too bad. I find that chewing gum really helps with it.

I cannot stop eating crap today. Carbs, chocolate, you name it.

Don't know what is up with me, I think maybe I am trying to boost my energy levels.

Or maybe I am just a fat pig ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Oh wow sounds awful, I had swollen everything on last pregnancy but not at all this time. Well not yet anyway.
    Everything is causing me heartburn. Even the most ridiculous things. Hopefully the old wives tail is true & it means a nice head of hair on baby.
    Has many people found out gender of babies or keeping it as surprise x

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

Hi all,

A good few weeks since I have been on here so it was lovely reading back through the posts to see how you are all doing.

Brokensoul, that is fantastic you have your section date and that you have reached the 32 week milestone. Sounds like everything is going well for you.

I laughed when I read people are feeling like a crane in bed! That is so accurate.

I am also planning to BF and went to a class in Holles St last week and it was covered in the ante natal class. But I do plan on joining a support group locally as I am hoping be around other mums persevering with it will help keep me motivated. The advice I got on what not to eat was the same as the others; eat whatever you like, take caffeine in moderation and if you are having a class of wine, feed/express first so that the wine is out of your system by the next feed.

I packed my hospital bags last night. I had such a mental block about it but when the midwife asked me if I had it done (I'm 34 weeks + 3 days) it kinda jolted me in to doing it.

I had a 34 week scan last Friday (not routine - it was planned directly after my 22 week scan because my placenta was low) and unfortunately it is still low. I have to go back again next week (36 weeks) as they are hoping it will have moved. Has anyone had any experience of this? I am a little worried about it to be honest. I am borderline...and who wants to head to their first natural birth as borderline!!!

All advice/experience welcome :-)

PS Welcome Noahboah...we have not found out gender but I am convinced it is a boy!

• Advertisement

I'm 35 weeks now and I'm really feeling it. We've been moving house the last week and it's really taken it out of me. Plus I feel a bit homesick too. I'm only 1.5hr drive down the road but I was living where I grew up and I loved having that connection but my partner's work is 2 mins away now so I'm so happy he doesn't have that long commute to do.

I had a hospital appointment on Tuesday and everything is going well with baby in position. The consultant told me that the baby is measuring average now after been told he was measuring 3 weeks ahead at 29 weeks. The consultant wanted me back at 39 weeks and I think my jaw dropped so he said 38 weeks instead.

I'm washing the baby's clothes at the minute and I'm getting emotional at the cuteness. I'm going to my sister's hen at the weekend and I'm hoping I'll just chill and rest for most of it. We're staying at a lovely hotel and going to the spa. I don't think I'll make it to the pubs and clubs, I think I'd prefer to rest up :)

Advertisement