Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I am 39 today. Managed to make it out for a birthday dinner with my husband! Last dinner out for a while I would say.

Feeling good this evening, very tired but finished up work today so am hoping to get a week or two of rest now before the babas arrive.

Happy weekend to all the August ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

brokensoul wrote:
    I am 39 today. Managed to make it out for a birthday dinner with my husband! Last dinner out for a while I would say.

brokensoul wrote:
    Feeling good this evening, very tired but finished up work today so am hoping to get a week or two of rest now before the babas arrive.

brokensoul wrote:

Awww! Happy birthday brokensoul! I hope you had a fantastic night out with your hubbie!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

brokensoul wrote: »

Happy birthday brokensoul!

Reassuring to hear I'm not the only one that isn't organised. Seems to be a subsequent baby thing! I'm pretty certain at 33/34 weeks last time I was at the ironing baby vests stage!!! We will get there ladies.
    Judge trudy congrats on the pre wedding anniversary! Lots of excitement in your house so. We are hoping to get married next year too. Probably October. Nothing set in stone ye but have been researching venues the last few weeks. Should really be putting my time into the impending birth of my little boy but I think I'm purposely focusing on the wedding for now as I'm feeling a bit nervous about everything. Ignorance was bliss last time round!
    Lovely to look at the vidoes and pics of when they were smaller scarepanda. We were doing that last week with stuff from our little boy. So lovely to have. Made me all emotional. Really going to try and savour every second this time and hopefully be a bit more chilled out!
    My pelvis and lower back were in bits yesterday, had some serious pressure too. Think baby may have dropped a little bit too.
    Question on the hospital bag for ye! What breastfeeding stuff have ye packed. Still a bit clueless on that front. Was thinking nursing bras, nightdresses. Breast pads, which kind? Any kind of creams? Anything else?

Oh girls, I wouldn't mind me having most things sorted. Iv had loads of time plus the excitement of it being our first things just got done early. I'm sure if we go for no. 2 I won't be nearly as organised. I'm usually last-minute.com!
    I know cant26, our dogs are our babies at the moment and it only feels like yesterday since we got our first one and she was frickn adorable. The second we got as an older rescue pup and he'd lost most of the cutesy pup when we got him so don't have any of that to look back on with him. But it is certainly a good reminder!
    I packed what was on hospital list, breast pads from boots and lanolin cream. I still need to get bras though but dunno whether to get them before or after as I'm sure once my milk comes in I'll be a different size. My boobs haven't really changed size so far, only the back side has gone up. I also have muslin cloths as iv heard that their great. But other than that I don't really have much packed specifically for bf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 okonomiyaki

cant26 wrote: »
    Reassuring to hear I'm not the only one that isn't organised. Seems to be a subsequent baby thing! I'm pretty certain at 33/34 weeks last time I was at the ironing baby vests stage!!! We will get there ladies.
    Judge trudy congrats on the pre wedding anniversary! Lots of excitement in your house so. We are hoping to get married next year too. Probably October. Nothing set in stone ye but have been researching venues the last few weeks. Should really be putting my time into the impending birth of my little boy but I think I'm purposely focusing on the wedding for now as I'm feeling a bit nervous about everything. Ignorance was bliss last time round!
    Lovely to look at the vidoes and pics of when they were smaller scarepanda. We were doing that last week with stuff from our little boy. So lovely to have. Made me all emotional. Really going to try and savour every second this time and hopefully be a bit more chilled out!
    My pelvis and lower back were in bits yesterday, had some serious pressure too. Think baby may have dropped a little bit too.
    Question on the hospital bag for ye! What breastfeeding stuff have ye packed. Still a bit clueless on that front. Was thinking nursing bras, nightdresses. Breast pads, which kind? Any kind of creams? Anything else?

Multi Mam compress are a life saver when breastfeeding. they arent cheap - like 15 euro for a small box, but i only used one and they really helped.
    i never needed breast pads, didnt leak much at all but had loads ready.. its always the way. Other than that you could make contact with a few breastfeeding groups, even now before you have the baby, its often harder to get out if baby is on you constantly. search for some facebook forums, like Extended breastfeeding ireland, as there will always be someone to answer your questions day or night. I got very bad advice in the hospital from most midwives so be aware that not all advice comes from experience or real knowledge. Keep baby skin to skin as much as you can, under your PJ top for hours and hours the first few days/nights. as long as youre not falling asleep on him/her!!!
    nursing top wise you generally dont need anything expensive, i find the best thing to be is a string top, big enough for boob to come out fully on one side, and then any top over that, so you just pull up the outer one and pull down the string top. then you arent too exposed - you may not mind though. especially those first few days.
    Hospitals are really hot! i had a huge big dressing gown. dont know what i was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 okonomiyaki

I hope everyone is keeping great as D Day looms ever closer, eek.

I had serious pains for an hour earlier, the baby was going Loco and I'm convinced that the bump has dropped. My partner agress with me. I would love to have the baby soon, as selfish as it is but I'm only 1 week off full term at 37 weeks. I would love to take baby to my sister's wedding in 2.5 weeks time.

I know I gave birth before but I don't really have a clue about the sequence of the whole labour. The last time I was induced so basically just did what I was told by the midwives!

It's a special day for my partner and I. Exactly a year from today, we will be married! 07.07.2017, I can't wait :)

Hi judge trudy! you should try to read some Ina May books, you can get them on Kindle pretty cheaply. Active birth is another good one, it explains the stages of birth and what to do etc, breathing wise and what to expect. Im jealous of you all, im due end of august so you are all ahead of me!
    ps what a great date for a wedding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 elleg

Happy Birthday Broken Soul!

Enjoy the wedding planning ladies. I loved planning ours even though it probably makes me deathly uncool to admit that.

Got labour bag packed anyway - phew!

Re breastfeeding I'll be packing washable breast pads and a few stretchy nursing bras. It's hard to buy them before baby is born because you won't know your size, but I'd recommend getting a couple of the stretchy soft crop top style ones to see you through the first few days. Figleaves have a good selection. I think Pennys might even stock them. Then when your supply and size settles down a bit you can invest in some proper ones. I was lucky and didn't need lanolin. I've heard good things about those multimam compresses, but again was lucky not to need. Agree with okonmiyaki re the vest top plus regular top and also with the midwives being a mixed bag in terms of advice. EBI Facebook group well worth joining and "womanly art of breastfeeding" good for pre-reading (little bit "hippyish" in parts for me, but good info).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Had my antenatal refresher course yesterday, brought back my last labour which wasn't too bad. The midwife reassured us that second labours and deliveries are easier, here's hoping. I'm not sure what kind of birth plan I'll have, I might just go with the flow but last time I felt like I had too much pain relief and I was depending too much on the midwives to tell me when to push. I feel more ready for the baby this week. 37 weeks on Thursday, full term so maybe I'll start downing the Raspberry Leaf Tea :)

I hope everyone is keeping great :)

I had my refresher class this morning! I left feeling really nervous all of a sudden. I honestly think it's the first time I've put some thought into the actual birth!!

Thanks for the tips on what to get to prepare/put in the hospital bag for breastfeeding. I started buying the bits for my hospital bag and got the lansinoh nipple cream, multimam compresses and lansinoh breastpads so now feel a bit more organised and hopefully they will help if needed.

Taking two days holidays from work next week. I am keeping as many as possible for after but I really need to break up the last few weeks cos I'm struggling at the moment.

Getting really excited though. Hope everyone is keeping well

• Advertisement

I'd my first antenatal class last week. It was OK, felt more like an introduction or something though. We spent an hour down in physio, which was grand, we were given some good tips about getting in and out of bed etc etc etc, but at 35 weeks it felt a little late. I thought the info should have been given to us around 30ish weeks. I for example have been getting into and out of bed the complete wrong way and now iv just gotten into bad habits!

Was up at the clinic yesterday and i got the consultant.... I just can't take him seriously! He was training in another dr who didn't have a clue, but at least he double checked everything!
    My partner also came home from work yesterday to tell me that two ladies, one of which he works with, that were 5 days ahead and 5 days behind me both gave birth over the weekend! Yikes!

Have my ante natal class on Thursday. Given that I am a planned section I get to skip all the bits about labour apparently!

Not so bad brokensoul! Have you gotten a new date yet for your section?

scarepanda wrote: »
    Not so bad brokensoul! Have you gotten a new date yet for your section?

No. Back to the hospital for a scan on Thursday and depending on that the consultant will decide whether to stick with my date of the 26th of July or move it back a week. They are both still growing though, so unless something changes I can see him sticking with the 26th at this stage.

Am finished work at this stage so feel much more relaxed about it. Had visions of being taken out of work straight to hospital and feeling like nothing was properly wrapped up.

brokensoul wrote:
    No. Back to the hospital for a scan on Thursday and depending on that the consultant will decide whether to stick with my date of the 26th of July or move it back a week. They are both still growing though, so unless something changes I can see him sticking with the 26th at this stage.
    Am finished work at this stage so feel much more relaxed about it. Had visions of being taken out of work straight to hospital and feeling like nothing was properly wrapped up.

Awww that's good at least that they are still happy in there! How far along will you be on the 26th?
    I bet that's some relief having finished and knowing that you've everything sorted out before you leave. Isn't it awful the things we get caught up about and worried over?

Iv myself in a knot over my parents, they can be a bit overbearing, my Mam especially. She expects to be kept fully up to date with everything when I go into labour, which is fine, but i don't trust her one bit to keep any information to herself. She'll have every tom dick and Harry informed of any information she's given and doesn't understand that I want some privacy. I may be wrong, but I feel that labour is a very personal process for myself and partner and if it was up to me id just ring them when baby had arrived. They also think they will sweet talk their way into post natal afterwards. The hospital is supposedly very strict with visitors with only grandparents allowed visit during certain hours. Iv only one sibling and they think he'll get in as well. I dunno, iv just got myself in a knot over it all. Thankfully my partner is on the case and has said that when the time comes he'll only allow visitors when I'm ready for them. Don't get me wrong, I do want visitors, but I'm just afraid of being crowded out by them pushing their way. I suffer from anxiety and their attitude doesn't help. I get a rash on my hands when I'm very stressed and I noticed it's back again.... which is not a good thing.
    Sorry.... Rant over

How's everyone getting on?

I had a breast feeding class earlier on today. It was actually quite interesting. But girls, I felt so weird holding the doll, kinda alien in a way and I couldn't picture the fact that in a few short weeks I'll have my own real live baby in my arms.....I kinda got a bit emotional of I'm honest for some reason..... it was just really weird

How's everyone getting on?

I had a breast feeding class earlier on today. It was actually quite interesting. But girls, I felt so weird holding the doll, kinda alien in a way and I couldn't picture the fact that in a few short weeks I'll have my own real live baby in my arms.....I kinda got a bit emotional of I'm honest for some reason..... it was just really weird

Aw breastfeeding will be such a lovely bonding experience for you. I used to love it as if I had any visitors, I never felt guilty for not handing over the baby straight away if she was feeding. Some people just snatch the baby from you straight away. I washed the cover for my breastfeeding pillow a few says ago so hopefully I'll get to use it.

I definitely feel like the baby has dropped and he's not digging into my ribcage as much now. My heartburn has eased too which I'm so glad about. I'm slowly getting things together, I washed all he covers from the pushchair and car seat and got them dry today. Once I have them back on I won't have too much to do :)

Well Ladies, I have made it to hospital!

Was in with the twin clinic this morning and 2 of the dopplers for one of the twins were abnormal so they did a fetal trace. That was fine, thank god, but the consultant decided to admit me for observation anyway. He wants the trace done twice a day from now on to make sure they don't get into distress.

Looking like a section within the week. A little earlier than planned but I am surprisingly calm about it.

Well Ladies, I have made it to hospital!

Was in with the twin clinic this morning and 2 of the dopplers for one of the twins were abnormal so they did a fetal trace. That was fine, thank god, but the consultant decided to admit me for observation anyway. He wants the trace done twice a day from now on to make sure they don't get into distress.

Looking like a section within the week. A little earlier than planned but I am surprisingly calm about it.

Good luck Brokensoul, you're in the best hands in hospital. It'll be amazing to have your two dotes with you soon x

Very best of luck brokensoul

• Advertisement

I hit the Next sale this morning. Myself and my partner were up at 5.30 but it was well worth it. I got loads of bargains for my daughter and baba. That was the earliest I've been to it and I'm definitely going early to it again. Baba is well decked our for the first year, assuming he's still a boy!

Has anyone thought of any names? I'm still searching for that boys name with a punch. I love Benjamin but I don't think my partner is overly keen on it so I need to keep searching.

Twins were misbehaving this morning, moving too much for them to do the cgt so they scanned me to get an exact location on the heartbeats. All fine with heartbeats, thank God, but consultant felt the smaller one hadn't grown since the last scan on Thursday so booked me in for a section at 9 in the morning.

Can't believe it is here!!!!!!!

Wish that they were doing it because I was at 37 weeks (will be 35 tomorrow) rather than because the growth had stopped but still really excited. Also absolutely petrified, obviously, but hopefully all will go well

All prayers, candles, good vibes and baby dust gratefully received.

I hit the Next sale this morning. Myself and my partner were up at 5.30 but it was well worth it. I got loads of bargains for my daughter and baba. That was the earliest I've been to it and I'm definitely going early to it again. Baba is well decked our for the first year, assuming he's still a boy!

Has anyone thought of any names? I'm still searching for that boys name with a punch. I love Benjamin but I don't think my partner is overly keen on it so I need to keep searching.

We are going with Iarla for ours I think. Liam was our second choice.

Twins were misbehaving this morning, moving too much for them to do the cgt so they scanned me to get an exact location on the heartbeats. All fine with heartbeats, thank God, but consultant felt the smaller one hadn't grown since the last scan on Thursday so booked me in for a section at 9 in the morning.

Can't believe it is here!!!!!!!

Wish that they were doing it because I was at 37 weeks (will be 35 tomorrow) rather than because the growth had stopped but still really excited. Also absolutely petrified, obviously, but hopefully all will go well

That was quick! Good good luck, our first July/ August babies :)

brokensoul wrote:
    Can't believe it is here!!!!!!Wish that they were doing it because I was at 37 weeks (will be 35 tomorrow) rather than because the growth had stopped but still really excited. Also absolutely petrified, obviously, but hopefully all will go well.

Aww best of luck brokensoul! I'll be thinking of ye today! Xxx

Aww best of luck brokensoul! I'll be thinking of ye today! Xxx

They arrived at 10am on the 17th. Iarla weighing just over 5lbs and Eabhan at just over 4lbs. They are in special care as they are premature and a little small but they are doing really well .

So relieved and overwhelmed by it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

They arrived at 10am on the 17th. Iarla weighing just over 5lbs and Eabhan at just over 4lbs. They are in special care as they are premature and a little small but they are doing really well .

Congratulations Brokensoul, delighted they have arrived safely.. Beautiful names x

brokensoul wrote:

Ah congratulations brokensoul! Delighted for ye both!

Congratulations brokensoul. Was thinking of you yesterday. Great to hear all is well. Beautiful names too. Hope you are recovering well.x

• Advertisement

Congratulations. Fabulous news and great weights. Well done you! Hope that they're out of special care quickly.

Advertisement