Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

cant26 wrote: »
    That's great that ye are settling well at home, I can't wait to be at that stage! How is your daughter finding being a big sister?

No sign of baby coming any time soon for me. I'm 39+1 so not even at my due date yet but was led to believe that id be induced at 39 but that is not happening now. I'm due next Thursday and unless I've gone by then I'll be induced on Friday. So only a week tops to go! My SPD is at a crippling stage, I can't believe the difference of me now and my last pregnancy. I feel like a crock :(

How are the rest of the August mums? Any more arrivals? I hope everyone is keeping well.

My daughter was very jealous for the first day or two but she's calmed down a lot, I had to be very firm with her one day and she's been fine since then, full of kisses and cuddles for her brother. I still have to watch her like a hawk in case she puts a blanket over his face or a small toy in his mouth.

I found the second pregnancy harder but I found having a second child easier as you're already used to the tiredness and used to adapting your life to a child which takes a while to get used to with your first.

At least this time next week, you'll be welcoming your new arrival. The count down is on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

My daughter was very jealous for the first day or two but she's calmed down a lot, I had to be very firm with her one day and she's been fine since then, full of kisses and cuddles for her brother. I still have to watch her like a hawk in case she puts a blanket over his face or a small toy in his mouth.

I found the second pregnancy harder but I found having a second child easier as you're already used to the tiredness and used to adapting your life to a child which takes a while to get used to with your first.

At least this time next week, you'll be welcoming your new arrival. The count down is on :)

Ya I suppose initial jealousy is to be expected. Their little worlds are turned upside down in an instant. My son is so excited and can't wait to be a brother but I know well we will have some teething problems. Just hoping they not to bad!!

Im 39+5 today. Thought something was starting last night but turned out to be nothing.

Question for those with toddlers at home. Did you tell your child that you were going to hospital to have the baby? I'm being induced on Friday unless something happens in the mean time and that means we will be dropping my son to his grandparents first. I'm not sure if I should tell him what's going on straight away or have mam start planting the seed throughout the day.. Im not sure what to do! Any tips/advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

How are you feeling cant26?

scarepanda wrote: »
    How are you feeling cant26?

Feeling good scarepanda. Due date tomorrow and induction booked for Friday. Everything is as organised as possible so just hoping everything goes ok. A few people have commented on how relaxed i am and it's true. I was so anxious and worried the last few weeks!

How are you? Are you home from hospital? How's your little girl doing. I really cannot wait to go in and get out as quick as possible and settle into life as a family of four :)

cant26 wrote:
    How are you? Are you home from hospital? How's your little girl doing. I really cannot wait to go in and get out as quick as possible and settle into life as a family of four

I'm not too bad. Got out of hospital last Thursday. Had a rough time getting breastfeeding going, but seem to be getting there now. She lost just under 10% of her birth weight because it took my supply so long to come in, but she'd started to put on weight when the PHN was out, so that's a huge relief. One breast still sore, so expressed tonight to give it a rest and she took the bottle without any problems. Happy out with that coz it means that himself can give her the odd feed as well.

How long do you excited to be kept in hospital for? Is your little lad looking forward to his new brother/sister?

• Advertisement

I'm not too bad. Got out of hospital last Thursday. Had a rough time getting breastfeeding going, but seem to be getting there now. She lost just under 10% of her birth weight because it took my supply so long to come in, but she'd started to put on weight when the PHN was out, so that's a huge relief. One breast still sore, so expressed tonight to give it a rest and she took the bottle without any problems. Happy out with that coz it means that himself can give her the odd feed as well.

How long do you excited to be kept in hospital for? Is your little lad looking forward to his new brother/sister?

Sounds like you are doing great. good to hear that the breastfeeding is coming together for you. I'm looking forward to experiencing it as I didn't breastfeed my son. Have you got the multimam compresses? They are meant to give great relief to sore breasts. My friends swore by them.
    If the delivery goes off without any problems I will avail of the early transfer home. You leave the hospital within 24hours but a midwife visits you at home for the first five days. Unfortunately I couldn't do it last time due to complications. Obviously anything can happen though and sure if I end up having a section I will be in for four nights. But ideally I'll be in and out!!

My son is really excited. Keeps asking if it's time for the baby to come. However this week the baby has taken a back seat and he seems more excited about starting Montessori school next week!! Hopefully his enthusiasm will last.

Due date today!!!! Woohoo :)

cant26 wrote:
    Sounds like you are doing great. good to hear that the breastfeeding is coming together for you. I'm looking forward to experiencing it as I didn't breastfeed my son. Have you got the multimam compresses? They are meant to give great relief to sore breasts. My friends swore by them. If the delivery goes off without any problems I will avail of the early transfer home. You leave the hospital within 24hours but a midwife visits you at home for the first five days. Unfortunately I couldn't do it last time due to complications. Obviously anything can happen though and sure if I end up having a section I will be in for four nights. But ideally I'll be in and out!!

Oh iv been using compresses on one breast and balm on the other. Seems to be working. Going to try her back on the sore breast tomorrow using a shield. If that goes OK I'm planning on trying her without the shield on the other one just for the handiness of it. One of the PHNs has a bee in her bonnet about getting me off the shield's, but so far without them I wouldn't be able to breastfeed. It's good to know though that she will take the bottle and that I'm able to express. Alot of my friends haven't been able to express via hand pump, but the one I have seems to be as good if not a bit better than the electric one I had to use in the hospital.
    Hopefully you'll be able to deliver naturally, but after having a section, it's not as bad during it or after as I thought it would be. Worst part was having to stay in hospital for so long! Oh and not having any clothes that don't sit on my waist! I usually live in jeans, even in maternity clothes and was kind caught not having many leggings etc to wear that didn't sit on the incision line!

The compresses don't work for me at all, only the Lanolin cream which thankfully I only had to use in the first few days when I was a bit cracked. Thankfully buba is putting on weight, went from 9lbs down to 8.5 and back up to 8.11 lbs in the space of 10 days. There are days I literally can't get him off the breast, like today but at least I know it's not all in vain. I'm finding it tough going at times but I'm determined to keep going for now. It helps that I'm getting long enough stretches of sleep, 4/5 hours and one night 6 which was great.

Good luck Cant26, I think you're being induced tomorrow?

The compresses don't work for me at all, only the Lanolin cream which thankfully I only had to use in the first few days when I was a bit cracked. Thankfully buba is putting on weight, went from 9lbs down to 8.5 and back up to 8.11 lbs in the space of 10 days. There are days I literally can't get him off the breast, like today but at least I know it's not all in vain. I'm finding it tough going at times but I'm determined to keep going for now. It helps that I'm getting long enough stretches of sleep, 4/5 hours and one night 6 which was great.

I have lanolin but the midwives didn't seem to impressed with it in the hospital. They gave me the balm and compresses. I find the compresses work, but I also needed to give the boob a rest over the last couple days for the cracks to heal properly. Hopefully ill be ready to go again tomorrow.
    Iv very mixed feelings on breastfeeding. Probably partly because I had such a hard time getting going in the hospital and the lactation consultant made me feel a bit like a milking parlour with her plan for expressing as well as feeding. I'd definately have given up one evening in particular if it wasn't for one midwife who basically told me to do what felt right for me and for the most part iv taken that advice over all else so far. Alot of midwives and the PHNs have said to wake her between 3-5hrs for feeds(advice depends on who your talking to), but I find that waking her makes it harder to feed her and she gets frustrated and cranky. The longest she's gone is 6 hrs, but usually sleeps for about 4.
    I don't like the feeling of being constantly in demand for feeds, but at the same time over the last 24hrs when she's been bottle fed iv felt weird not having her attached to me, even when iv been giving her the bottle myself, which kinda surprised me a bit.

• Advertisement

Thanks judge trudy, yes in first thing in the morning for induction. The nerves are setting in!
    I have that lanolin cream too so hopefully all the creams and compresses will help me if needed.

cant26 wrote:
    Thanks judge trudy, yes in first thing in the morning for induction. The nerves are setting in! I have that lanolin cream too so hopefully all the creams and compresses will help me if needed.

Best of luck cant26!! Think of the prize at the end!
    Don't worry about breastfeeding, it's not as easy as some like to make out, but it is worth it. Take action whether it be creams/balms/compresses/shields as soon as you think there may be a problem.
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Scarepanda there's no need to wake baby to feed, if you get very full from a particularly long sleep trying latching baby on asleep, often works!

And I see you said baby lost weight because it took so long for your milk to come in. It's normal for milk to take 3-5 days to come in, babies usually lose a little weight after birth it's not a huge reflection on how much milk they have, especially if you've had fluids during labour. Babies need an absolutely tiny amount in the first days so there's plenty for them before the real milk arrives, colostrum is amazing stuff!

Fair play for surviving the midwife/breastfeeding support lottery that is the hospital, it's such a shame that who you get can determine what happens so congrats on getting out the other side of that :)

Scarepanda there's no need to wake baby to feed, if you get very full from a particularly long sleep trying latching baby on asleep, often works!

And I see you said baby lost weight because it took so long for your milk to come in. It's normal for milk to take 3-5 days to come in, babies usually lose a little weight after birth it's not a huge reflection on how much milk they have, especially if you've had fluids during labour. Babies need an absolutely tiny amount in the first days so there's plenty for them before the real milk arrives, colostrum is amazing stuff!

Fair play for surviving the midwife/breastfeeding support lottery that is the hospital, it's such a shame that who you get can determine what happens so congrats on getting out the other side of that

Thanks spottybananas! Iv stopped waking her, especially around the 3-5 hr marks. It's just not worth it because I'll spend as long trying to get her to feed/settle as it would leaving her sleep for whatever length she needs to sleep and feeding her once she wakes up. Iv only gotten very full once I think, but she woke soon afterwards so it wasn't an issue. In future if it does happen I have the breast pump working so can just express and either keep it for a feed later or freeze it.
    I didn't get any fluids during labour, I wasn't in established labour when they examined me at admission and decided straight away to do an emergency section (I'd been in the hospital for 2.5 days beforehand and got a scan so the dr knew what had been going on). I lost 3-4 times normal amount of blood during the section and I was told that that had an effect on my supply. The morning of day 2 was awful, I couldn't settle her, it was obvious she was starving and I wasn't in great form myself emotionally and my breasts were in bits from the previous night as she was stuck to me, it was the only way I could get her any way settled (I was very conscious of the others in the ward). When they weighed her that afternoon she had lost close to the 10%. It was after that that the lactation consultant got involved. Baby was hand fed for 18 hrs to give my breasts a break, using what I could express and was topped up with donor milk. It was on day 3, after everything, that I nearly gave up, only for one midwife who was amazing I certainly would have and would be regretting it now if I had. That midwife was a lot more chilled and basically her advice was to do what felt right for me in that moment. If baby was happy there was no need to express as well, but if I needed to at any stage that the machine was on hand. That simple but if advice has been the best advice iv gotten so far if I'm honest, even though it's the most obvious one!

Anyways, that turned out longer than I had planned. Sorry for waffling on

xxx

Hi everyone! So baby boy made his appearance on Saturday afternoon. Was induced on Friday, quite a bit of drama but just delighted he is here safe and sound.
    Unfortunately I was in that 1% of people who had a problem with the epidural. I got an epidural headache which left me on morphine all weekend :( I finally had a spinal tap done yesterday and feel much better.
    Breast feeding is going well and I'm loving the experience. We are being discharged later today.
    Think I'm the last one here but I hope all the August mums and babies are all keeping great X

cant26 wrote:
    Hi everyone! So baby boy made his appearance on Saturday afternoon. Was induced on Friday, quite a bit of drama but just delighted he is here safe and sound. Unfortunately I was in that 1% of people who had a problem with the epidural. I got an epidural headache which left me on morphine all weekend I finally had a spinal tap done yesterday and feel much better. Breast feeding is going well and I'm loving the experience. We are being discharged later today. Think I'm the last one here but I hope all the August mums and babies are all keeping great X

Aww! Congratulations cant26! Was checking all weekend to see how you got on!
    I'm delighted that bf is going good for you!

We're doing good here. Herself is finally back at her birth weight and I'm starting to enjoy bf!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Hi everyone! So baby boy made his appearance on Saturday afternoon. Was induced on Friday, quite a bit of drama but just delighted he is here safe and sound.
    Unfortunately I was in that 1% of people who had a problem with the epidural. I got an epidural headache which left me on morphine all weekend :( I finally had a spinal tap done yesterday and feel much better.
    Breast feeding is going well and I'm loving the experience. We are being discharged later today.
    Think I'm the last one here but I hope all the August mums and babies are all keeping great X

Delighted for you Cant26, congrats!! Sorry to hear the birth was a bit dramatic.

My two are 6w2d today. Evanne is weighing in at 6lbs8ozs and Iarla is a massive 7lbs12oz!!!

Congratulations on your new arrival, I hope he's settling in well :)

Well! How's everyone getting on?

Did you get home the other day cant26? How are you feeling now? How's your little lad getting on with the baby?

Well! How's everyone getting on?

Did you get home the other day cant26? How are you feeling now? How's your little lad getting on with the baby?

No still in hospital :( I can't actually believe it. Baby is doing great though, me not so much! Feeding was going good but had to use nipple shields yesterday as I'd say my latch hasn't been great seeing as I'm on the flat of my back. I'm now on a 24hour pump and dump due to having had an MRI so the obstacles are everywhere! Hope you are getting on good and your little girl is settling in at home.

• Advertisement

cant26 wrote:
    No still in hospital I can't actually believe it. Baby is doing great though, me not so much! Feeding was going good but had to use nipple shields yesterday as I'd say my latch hasn't been great seeing as I'm on the flat of my back. I'm now on a 24hour pump and dump due to having had an MRI so the obstacles are everywhere! Hope you are getting on good and your little girl is settling in at home.

Oh god. That doesn't sound good. If it's any help 19 days out I'm still on the shield's. Don't lose hope with the pump and dump, remember your doing it so your supply doesn't drop. Is he being fed by formula or donor milk while your pumping and dumping?
    Are you still suffering the side effects of the epidural?
    Ya, were getting on good. There was concern about her weight loss and because I had problems getting breastfeeding going, so we've had regular weigh-ins, she gained 260g in the last 7 days! I'm happy out, the PHN seemed delighted with it as well! It's such a good feeling knowing that all the gains she's making is because of me, it's doing my confidence the world of good, because I really doubted myself at the beginning and nearly gave up.

Oh god. That doesn't sound good. If it's any help 19 days out I'm still on the shield's. Don't lose hope with the pump and dump, remember your doing it so your supply doesn't drop. Is he being fed by formula or donor milk while your pumping and dumping?
    Are you still suffering the side effects of the epidural?
    Ya, were getting on good. There was concern about her weight loss and because I had problems getting breastfeeding going, so we've had regular weigh-ins, she gained 260g in the last 7 days! I'm happy out, the PHN seemed delighted with it as well! It's such a good feeling knowing that all the gains she's making is because of me, it's doing my confidence the world of good, because I really doubted myself at the beginning and nearly gave up.

Sounds like ye are really getting there that's brilliant. Honestly think the shields are a god send. Used them for a day bug if I need them again I'll use them. I know they are not recommended but seriously sick of hearing all the things that isn't recommended while breastfeeding! I'm giving formula for the 24 hours. Just being careful to give small amounts. Was explaining to my OH that there's no way I'd be producing the amount in those little bottles yet so we can't get his tummy used to it! 24 are nearly up so he'll go back on the boob then. Love the feeding on demand aspect of it.
    We also had a bit of a fight with the paediatrician on Tuesday when I thought we were being discharged! They weren't happy to discharge the baby. They were saying he had lost more than 10% but my Oh was so funny with the calculator to prove he hadn't lost that much!!
    Getting discharged tomorrow morning after 8 nights. Cannot wait to get home.

cant26 wrote:
    Sounds like ye are really getting there that's brilliant. Honestly think the shields are a god send. Used them for a day bug if I need them again I'll use them. I know they are not recommended but seriously sick of hearing all the things that isn't recommended while breastfeeding! I'm giving formula for the 24 hours. Just being careful to give small amounts. Was explaining to my OH that there's no way I'd be producing the amount in those little bottles yet so we can't get his tummy used to it! 24 are nearly up so he'll go back on the boob then. Love the feeding on demand aspect of it. We also had a bit of a fight with the paediatrician on Tuesday when I thought we were being discharged! They weren't happy to discharge the baby. They were saying he had lost more than 10% but my Oh was so funny with the calculator to prove he hadn't lost that much!! Getting discharged tomorrow morning after 8 nights. Cannot wait to get home.

They certainly are a god send! I was feeling alot of pressure from a stand in PHN that was out last week about using them/getting off them without actually telling me why I shouldn't be using them. I haven't had any issues with supply/emptying breasts/suckling etc. My own PHN was back this week and while she would prefer if i could stop using them, she was delighted with her weight gain today so she's not as bothered now.
    You'd be surprised how much you're supply will come in with the pumping. Iv a hand pump here at home that iv had to use to give one breast a break because it got sore, it was always the Breast that didn't 'work' as well, but now it's possibly even better that the other one!
    Iv gotten so much conflicting info about breastfeeding as well. I'm still learning, but the best bit of info iv gotten so far is to do what feels right for me and baby and so far it's what's worked best for me with regards feeding times/feeding on demand/waking her up to feed(or not) etc etc etc.
    Haha, you really need to keep a close eye on everything they do/tell you! Bet it was really adorable seeing him arguing with the dr!
    Oh I hope you get out tomorrow. It's horrible being stuck in there. I presume the ward's are roasting?

How is everyone getting on? Have all the August babies arrived?

I was finally discharged on Saturday after eights nights in hospital. Thank god two was my number because I really cannot go through any more dramatic births!!!

Baby boy is settling in well at home. We are loving breastfeeding and thankfully it has not been as sore as I anticipated. Apart from the initial tenderness and going through half a tube of lanolin in the first three days we are now feeding comfortably. Have a slight concern about my supply as my breasts never feel engorged or leak. My son has lost almost 10% of his birth weight so I'm really hoping the next time he's weighed we will have have a little gain. He cluster fed every night we have been home from about 7pm - 3am but had epic sleeps! He slept from 3am until 10 am this morning!! 7 hours, couldn't believe it. Probably won't leave him that long again as I really want to get his weight up a bit. He probably won't do it again in a hurry anyways!!!

Awww that's brilliant news cant26!! How is your oldest lad settling into the role of big brother?
    I have one leaky boob, constantly leaking, but doesn't do well for expressing. The other boob doesn't leak as much, only really when full, but expresses well. This was also the boob in the hospital that didn't express well on the electric pump, but the hand pump upped the supply loads. I also think I was well into week 2 before i felt either boob being really full. I guess everyone and every boob are different!
    7hrs is fantastic! Although suss your PHN out first before you tell them that info. Herself has done 6hrs twice. One PHN was totally against letting her go any more than 4 hrs and our main one advised not letting her go more than 5 hrs without waking her for a feed.
    My Missy is very fussy this evening. I think (hope) its just wind that we haven't been able to get up yet. My biggest fear is not knowing when she might be sick....

Awww that's brilliant news cant26!! How is your oldest lad settling into the role of big brother?
    I have one leaky boob, constantly leaking, but doesn't do well for expressing. The other boob doesn't leak as much, only really when full, but expresses well. This was also the boob in the hospital that didn't express well on the electric pump, but the hand pump upped the supply loads. I also think I was well into week 2 before i felt either boob being really full. I guess everyone and every boob are different!
    7hrs is fantastic! Although suss your PHN out first before you tell them that info. Herself has done 6hrs twice. One PHN was totally against letting her go any more than 4 hrs and our main one advised not letting her go more than 5 hrs without waking her for a feed.
    My Missy is very fussy this evening. I think (hope) its just wind that we haven't been able to get up yet. My biggest fear is not knowing when she might be sick....

I had a big reply typed yesterday and lost it all! Toddler is great with the baby, gives it gentle rubs and says mind his delicate head. He can't wait until he can play paw patrol games! With us he is hard work, very emotional and demanding of his own way. Goes insane when told no. Tbf all understandable as there was a lot of upheaval with me in the hospital for so long. He will settle in time but it's exhausting.
    Yesterday I woke up to full breasts and one of them leaked. I was so excited. How sad am I!! He is constantly feeding so I think it's helping my supply. I'm getting a hand pump today. Was using the medala symphony in the hospital and it didn't produce much so will be interesting to see what this will do. What pump did you get?
    We have fussy time here every evening from 6/7 onwards.
    How do you find adapting to having a baby in the house? I remember when my eldest son was born we walked around in shock and like zombies for three weeks! I honestly thought there would never be any sense of normalcy again! This time baby has just slotted into family life, it's so refreshing. I know the real test will be on Monday when OH goes back to work but hopefully all will be ok.

Ah, it's good that he's getting on well with the little lad and being gentle. I suppose it's to be expected that he tries 'punish' ye. I'm sure he'll settle into his new role fairly soon!

Erm, I must root out the box to get the actual name, but it's a manual pump from avent. It's the one that claims to be better than the hospital grade pumps. It usually retails at €40, we got it way back just after Christmas for about €10!

Haha! Wait till you are leaking constantly and having to wear a bra all the time to hold the Breast pads in place!

We're adapting OK I think. The dogs have settled in brilliantly with her. She's starting to get more aware and awake for longer during the day, but she doesn't like being on her own yet nor does she have any interest in toys and there's times I'm having a hard time keeping her occupied. So between feeding, getting her a sleep and when she's awake she's in my arms for a large portion of the day. It's nice when himself gets home and he can take her for a few minutes! She's been a bit fussy here the last couple of days. I think it's just wind that she's finding hard to get up, but she's getting upset more often and even when I put her on my breast she's still sort of crying even when feeding. Hopefully it's just a phase, but I'll be making an appointment her if she's not back to herself by the weekend......

At what stage did ye start having more of a 'routine' in place?

Coming up to nearly 4 weeks old here and everything is starting to settle down a bit, albeit the sleepless nights! My daughter started Montessori and she loves it, it has settled her no end. She was a wee terror for a few weeks and it was so stressful trying to juggle everything at home on my own. Now she is full of kisses n cuddles n love for him.

The breast feeding is calming down a bit too. The first 3 weeks, I couldn't get him off the breast, it was exhausting. I said if I can do it for 6 weeks, then I'll be doing well. I want to get back out walking and leave him with his Dad when I need to. I didn't bother buying a pump as I didn't know how long I'd be BFing for. I'll keep ploughing on for now but my supply is good for the moment.

I hope everyone is doing great and enjoying their wee bundles of joy. We've come such a long way!

Did anyone get around to registering their baby yet? I'm going down tomorrow. I wonder will I still get backpaid his child benefit for September?

• Advertisement

Have had a couple of rough days here. Between epic toddler tantrums and baby up for most of the night I'm absolutely exhausted! Baby seems to sleep so easily during the day. After a feed goes straight down in the Moses basket. As the day progresses he gets fussier safe by 8pm that's it. Full of wind, won't settle at all. On the boob from then until at least 2am. He won't go near the basket at night, has to be beside me in the bed or in my arms! He is defo suffering from a bit of silent reflux I can see it in him. At the doc on Monday so hopefully they will be able to steer us in the right direction. Was pretty emotional yesterday and felt very sorry for myself but then I copped on!!!

Boobs are ver sore atm, getting my latch checked later but think it's fine. He is just stuck to me at all times! Good to hear it settles down judge trudy. That's the pump I was going to get scarepanda. Have heard great things about it considering its manual and so cheap. I'm scaling back my breastfeeding goals! Every day at the moment is an achievement. While I love feeding him and I'm so happy I'm doing it I'm not sure how long we will continue for. Two weeks tomorrow then the next goal is a month. We'll see then.

Haven't registered birth yet trudy but we will receive payment for September. It's only the month that the baby is born that is excluded. Every other month is back paid. At least was the way it went the last time.

Advertisement