Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My OH is still in the same bed. I'd miss him to much if he was in the spare room. Hes really good at giving me a hand though if I'm struggling and he's lucky that he can also through a hurricane!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ah no bother at all. We all have our days and it's hard not to put pressure on ourselves - I'm my own worst enemy.
    Ah your really lucky to have someone like that, that has a midwifery background AND is ahead of where you are at the moment so knows from both sides what your going through. Sometimes only someone like that can get through to you. I had a midwife the last two days in the hospital that was wonderful, she was the only one that id listen to, even though my OH was telling me the exact same stuff as she did beforehand.
    Unfortunately I didn't get much rest. When she was in good form this morning and had a couple sleeps I wasn't tired enough to go lay down. When she woke from one around midday i decided to go for a walk, so fed her, changed her baby and clothes and got her into car seat etc - had a very happy baby. Didn't make it 5 mins down the road before turning back. She usually loves being on the move, but not today. And she's been very very unsettled since then. Any time I did get her off she woke as soon as I moved. She's fast asleep in daddy's arms at the moment though. It got to a point that she was crying so much and had herself in such a state that I didn't know if she was over tired, hungry, in pain or just plain old crying. Unfortunately she has my temper which comes through when she's in that humour. She wouldn't nurse even for comfort. A few tears were had by me. She has tears now as well so it breaks my heart even more seeing years when she's crying.
    My OH has thankfully taken over since he got home from work. She's seemed to calm down a bit since we gave her a bath. And I got to go have a shower so feel a bit better myself now, just need sleep.

Hopefully your little lad is doing better

There must've been something in the air yesterday with having to abandon plans! I had my first public breastfeeding experience. Brought baba to dunnes to grab some dinner and the poor mite went into total meltdown as I parked the car. Stupidly I thought the motion of the pram would soothe him, defo not! Had to go back to the car and camp out there for half an hour feeding him! I had literally spent three hours stuck to the couch feeding him prior to that. As soon as we got home he puked and then fell asleep. I really don't know if he's hungry half the time. I dug out a soother and when he woke chanced him with it. OMG!!!!! The change, he happily lay in his basket sucking away like Maggie from the Simpsons. It was the first time in days I could leave him out of my arms awake without a meltdown. It was the first evening since he was born that I had twenty minutes to myself to sort dinner/potter. I know they aren't recommended but even if I only use it sporadically for twenty minutes it will help so much. Will be able to do something with my other son without the baby hanging off me and that's so important to me.
    How's your little girl now? its nice to have a bit of support at night. My OH was great with number one at night because I was bottle feeding, I didn't know myself but now I just think it's easier for me to do it all and he has our other sons monitor so he gets up to him at night as he's waking up all hours again! I keep repeating, it's all just a phase!!!
    We had a decent night last night. He settled finally around 12.30 and didn't wake until 4.30 and went down again at 5.30 until I woke him at 10. Feel like a new woman got to sleep until around 8.30.
    Thank god it's Friday and I'll have help for the weekend. Hope everyone else is keeping well.x

cant26 wrote:
    There must've been something in the air yesterday with having to abandon plans! I had my first public breastfeeding experience. Brought baba to dunnes to grab some dinner and the poor mite went into total meltdown as I parked the car. Stupidly I thought the motion of the pram would soothe him, defo not! Had to go back to the car and camp out there for half an hour feeding him! I had literally spent three hours stuck to the couch feeding him prior to that. As soon as we got home he puked and then fell asleep. I really don't know if he's hungry half the time. I dug out a soother and when he woke chanced him with it. OMG!!!!! The change, he happily lay in his basket sucking away like Maggie from the Simpsons. It was the first time in days I could leave him out of my arms awake without a meltdown. It was the first evening since he was born that I had twenty minutes to myself to sort dinner/potter. I know they aren't recommended but even if I only use it sporadically for twenty minutes it will help so much. Will be able to do something with my other son without the baby hanging off me and that's so important to me. How's your little girl now? its nice to have a bit of support at night. My OH was great with number one at night because I was bottle feeding, I didn't know myself but now I just think it's easier for me to do it all and he has our other sons monitor so he gets up to him at night as he's waking up all hours again! I keep repeating, it's all just a phase!!! We had a decent night last night. He settled finally around 12.30 and didn't wake until 4.30 and went down again at 5.30 until I woke him at 10. Feel like a new woman got to sleep until around 8.30. Thank god it's Friday and I'll have help for the weekend. Hope everyone else is keeping well.x

Ha! I had the same thought with persevering with the walk, because she usually conks straight out when on walks or drives!
    They sure do know when to pick their moments!
    That's actually something i was meant to ask, at what age do they usually become happy to lay in the pram/rocker etc for a few minutes when their awake? When she's awake all she wants is to be up and moving... Alot of the time being in your arms but sitting down will not be enough, stand up and it will be! Iv contemplated a soother, but not sure it will work because she wants to be up and about so much.
    Missy was actually quite good last night. I went to bed early, she stayed up with Daddy till she wanted a feed when he brought her up and when she was finished she fell asleep within minutes for him. He put her into moses basket at some stage and stayed up thinking she'd be up fairly quickly but she slept till 4! Poor fella came up to bed at some stage, but i was in the middle of the bed without any room for him and he didn't want to wake me so went back down and slept on the couch with the two dogs for company! I felt so sorry for him when I realised! He also got her to sleep this morning around 6 after she was awake for 2 hrs. She wouldn't go down for me, was wide awake, but in great form oohhing and aaahhing! And he's working from home today incase muggins was the same as yesterday to give me a hand.
    She's so much calmer today, but as usual I'm still worried! She's not stuck to me, so doesn't seem to be feeding as much, she also seems to be sleeping more, at least more restfully so will sleep in the pram. I always have this worry that she'll be sick and I'll miss it.
    I'm delighted you got some sleep, it makes all the difference when dealing with them, no matter their form. How's your older lad settling into his big brother role?

Ha! I had the same thought with persevering with the walk, because she usually conks straight out when on walks or drives!
    They sure do know when to pick their moments!
    That's actually something i was meant to ask, at what age do they usually become happy to lay in the pram/rocker etc for a few minutes when their awake? When she's awake all she wants is to be up and moving... Alot of the time being in your arms but sitting down will not be enough, stand up and it will be! Iv contemplated a soother, but not sure it will work because she wants to be up and about so much.
    Missy was actually quite good last night. I went to bed early, she stayed up with Daddy till she wanted a feed when he brought her up and when she was finished she fell asleep within minutes for him. He put her into moses basket at some stage and stayed up thinking she'd be up fairly quickly but she slept till 4! Poor fella came up to bed at some stage, but i was in the middle of the bed without any room for him and he didn't want to wake me so went back down and slept on the couch with the two dogs for company! I felt so sorry for him when I realised! He also got her to sleep this morning around 6 after she was awake for 2 hrs. She wouldn't go down for me, was wide awake, but in great form oohhing and aaahhing! And he's working from home today incase muggins was the same as yesterday to give me a hand.
    She's so much calmer today, but as usual I'm still worried! She's not stuck to me, so doesn't seem to be feeding as much, she also seems to be sleeping more, at least more restfully so will sleep in the pram. I always have this worry that she'll be sick and I'll miss it.
    I'm delighted you got some sleep, it makes all the difference when dealing with them, no matter their form. How's your older lad settling into his big brother role?

My older son hated his pram and only slept on me for his first five months. He liked his bouncer but would only go in the Moses basket at night. He would never lay in it awake. In fairness he outgrew it after three weeks. He never slept during the day(but slept amazing at night) and like your girl I had to be up moving around sitting on my lap wouldn't do here either. So long answer is I haven't a clue!!
    I'm not fan of soothers myself and I know I'll be cursing it when/if he gets dependant on it but at the moment it's amazing! It's like it calms him. I gave it to him this morning after feeding him for an hour and half so I could get dressed and he spat it out after a few minutes and fell asleep. Haven't given it since but I'm hoping it will give me twenty minutes this eve.
    Your OH sounds great, mine came home early so myself and baba went to bed to relax and feed.
    My older boy is doing great with him. He loves helping so I try and Involve him with as much as possible. He does give some sad glances when I am constantly feeding the baby and that's totally understandable, but I try and get him to come to me for cuddles too so he doesn't feel left out. He was lashing out big time with us the first few weeks but I think that was more to do with me being in hospital for so long. He is great though.
    Sounds like we both had decent nights last night so, long may it last.
    How old is you little girl? Maybe she was going through a development leap and that's what had her out of sorts. You should check out the wonder weeks. I've just downloaded the app for my boy. I found it great for my older boy and really interesting.

cant26 wrote:
    My older son hated his pram and only slept on me for his first five months. He liked his bouncer but would only go in the Moses basket at night. He would never lay in it awake. In fairness he outgrew it after three weeks. He never slept during the day(but slept amazing at night) and like your girl I had to be up moving around sitting on my lap wouldn't do here either. So long answer is I haven't a clue!! I'm not fan of soothers myself and I know I'll be cursing it when/if he gets dependant on it but at the moment it's amazing! It's like it calms him. I gave it to him this morning after feeding him for an hour and half so I could get dressed and he spat it out after a few minutes and fell asleep. Haven't given it since but I'm hoping it will give me twenty minutes this eve. Your OH sounds great, mine came home early so myself and baba went to bed to relax and feed. My older boy is doing great with him. He loves helping so I try and Involve him with as much as possible. He does give some sad glances when I am constantly feeding the baby and that's totally understandable, but I try and get him to come to me for cuddles too so he doesn't feel left out. He was lashing out big time with us the first few weeks but I think that was more to do with me being in hospital for so long. He is great though. Sounds like we both had decent nights last night so, long may it last. How old is you little girl? Maybe she was going through a development leap and that's what had her out of sorts. You should check out the wonder weeks. I've just downloaded the app for my boy. I found it great for my older boy and really interesting.

Well that's good and bad so! Good to know that it's normal, may be not so good for my back! She won't stay in the moses basket after about 9 in the morning till 10/11 at night. She usually settles quicker in the pram, although we don't use it for over night sleeping. We seem to have a better night routine than day, although like last night its not uncommon for it to take a couple of hours to get her back down when she wakes. I can't wait till she's old enough to sit happily enough in a bouncer and old enough that even when she is in our arms that she can be occupied by toys. I think sometimes when she's wide awake she gets a bit frustrated in the one place. She's nearly out of her moses basket. We had planned on moving her into her own room once she was in the cot, but apparently your supposed to leave them with you for 6 months. I dunno if we'll have room for the cot in our room. Don't know what we're going to do, but we'll need to decide in the next few days. Think I'll set it up for day time sleeps though to get her used to it.
    Ya, id be afraid of her (and us) getting dependent on a soother, so I think I'll hold off for a while and see how we get on.
    Ah, that's lovely. I bet he loves helping and having little jobs he can do to help you! Hes at a great age for that.
    My little one will be 5 weeks on Sunday... Can't believe it, I don't know where the time has gone! I must have a look at that. I think (at least hope) she's going through some sort of development stage or growth spurt. I'm still a bit worried about her feeding today. She only seems to nurse for a few minutes and falls asleep and because she's not stuck to me like the last few days it seems she's not feeding as much, although she could just be feeding more effectively and not for comfort. I'll be keeping a close eye on her tomorrow to see how she's getting on. She's like a completely different baby today though!
    Hopefully your little lad is in better form as well!

• Advertisement

Woohooo! I breastfed in public today! Such an insignificant thing, but very proud of myself!

Woohooo! I breastfed in public today! Such an insignificant thing, but very proud of myself!

Fair play scarepanda. That's great. Did you have a nice weekend?
    Myself and baba went into town with my mum for a few hours and it was lovely. I wore makeup for the first time in three weeks!!
    Unfortunately my OH rang while we were out to say our toddler was getting sick. Poor pet ended up with the vommiting bug and myself and the baby ended up having a sleepover in my mums! Was and still am petrified of the baby getting it. Felt terrible to be away from my son when he was sick but I suppose these are the juggling struggles that you have to deal with when you have more than one!!

How's everyone getting on?
    My little guy was weighed again this morning by the GP and he had put on 300g in a week! I was delighted with that. He is now 8.8lb! We are still not back to his birth weight but nobody is concerned as long as we are going in the right direction. My supply has increased hugely in the last few days, I think I can thank the fennegeauk tablets for that. Our crazy cluster feeds are paying off finally. Really happy with our progress.
    I forgot to set my alarm last night to wake him for a feed and he slept from 11pm until 5.30am. Quick feed then back down until 9!!! I couldn't believe it. His little face is destroyed with baby acne. Anyone else's baby's suffering with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

cant26 wrote: »
    My little guy was weighed again this morning by the GP and he had put on 300g in a week! I was delighted with that. He is now 8.8lb! We are still not back to his birth weight but nobody is concerned as long as we are going in the right direction. My supply has increased hugely in the last few days, I think I can thank the fennegeauk tablets for that. Our crazy cluster feeds are paying off finally. Really happy with our progress.
    I forgot to set my alarm last night to wake him for a feed and he slept from 11pm until 5.30am. Quick feed then back down until 9!!! I couldn't believe it. His little face is destroyed with baby acne. Anyone else's baby's suffering with it?

That's great all your hard work is paying off and you got a little sleep too. Breastfeeding is just so tough going.

I had the weekend from hell. I ended up so engorged on Thursday/Friday after stupidly weaning bubs off the breast cold turkey. It was like no pain I've ever felt, I'd give birth every day of the week over that. It stung like hell. I had to take a load of painkillers and put on the cabbage leaves and Multi mam compresses. Thankfully my supply has eased now and the pain has pretty much disappeared. I hope that is the end of any pregnancy or labour per baby related pain because I feel banjaxed.

On a better note, I went for a family portrait session today with a voucher I had. I cannot wait to see all the photographs, I'll cherish them forever. Bubs was so cute, a right poser when he got going :)

Hey everyone!
    Thank you so much to whoever mentioned wonder weeks app (think it was cant26). I downloaded it over the weekend and bubs pretty much ticked all the boxes for the first developmental leap! Such a relief knowing that there was nothing wrong with her and that we weren't doing anything wrong either. The difference in her in the last few days is amazing. She's so much more alert and 'alive'. She's smiling as well which is brilliant! She also stuck her thumb in her mouth today and started sucking away for a few seconds... Just like her mammy!
    I hope your oldest lad is feeling better cant. That's absolutely brilliant weight gain! Your obviously doing something right and it's all starting to come together for you! Did you decide to top him up with formula at all in the end? Either way, I bet your delighted with yourself!
    Ah that's rough judge trudy. How did you sort out the engorgement? Did you have to pump to ease everything off? We're planning on getting family photos done in November. Bubs will be 3 months old and it will be our 10 year anniversary! Can't wait! How old is your little lad now? Is he your first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Hey everyone!
    Thank you so much to whoever mentioned wonder weeks app (think it was cant26). I downloaded it over the weekend and bubs pretty much ticked all the boxes for the first developmental leap! Such a relief knowing that there was nothing wrong with her and that we weren't doing anything wrong either. The difference in her in the last few days is amazing. She's so much more alert and 'alive'. She's smiling as well which is brilliant! She also stuck her thumb in her mouth today and started sucking away for a few seconds... Just like her mammy!
    I hope your oldest lad is feeling better cant. That's absolutely brilliant weight gain! Your obviously doing something right and it's all starting to come together for you! Did you decide to top him up with formula at all in the end? Either way, I bet your delighted with yourself!
    Ah that's rough judge trudy. How did you sort out the engorgement? Did you have to pump to ease everything off? We're planning on getting family photos done in November. Bubs will be 3 months old and it will be our 10 year anniversary! Can't wait! How old is your little lad now? Is he your first?

I didn't pump as I didn't have one and I couldn't let baby suck, it was the psychology of it. Thursday and Friday were the worse for pain, like 9/10 for pain. I couldn't get a doctor's appointment on Friday so I went to the pharmacist and she said put cabbage leaves in bra, use the multi mam compresses and lots of painkillers. I could have got something better with a prescription. I'm so glad that espisode is over, it really got me down but my supply is finished now sadly but thankfully at the same time. It was my own fault for putting him on the bottle too quick.

3 months is a lovely time to get them done. She'll be so alert at that stage. I'm going to get S photographed again when he turns 1. I did the cake smash with my daughter at that age and I'll do the same with him. The pictures are so cute, chocolate cake smothered all over her :D

S is nearly 6 weeks now. I'm absolutely besotted with him, he's such a great baby, he's so placid so far and we have some kind of routine going. I put him into his Grobag for the first time last night and he slept from 12-6, not sure if that was a fluke or not. He usually wakes for a feed In the middle of the night, he's a very hungry baby. I need to start giving him more formula but I'm going to clear it with the GP at his 6 week check up on Friday.

How are all the August mums getting on? Isn't the wonder weeks app great scarepanda? My little guy is just going into his first leap today..we will see what that brings for the week!
    We are getting on really well. Baby is really great and generally chilled out. Breastfeeding is still going great. He still gets one small bottle in the evening and tbh I'm going to keep that up. Have a pump that either I can't use or doesn't work so until I can figure it out and pump s bottle of a breast milk I'm keeping the 2oz of formula every eve. He is being weighed again today so fingers crossed we are still gaining weight. Would hope that he will have reached his birth weight by now.
    Few tough days last week where my OH was in hospital unexpectedly. Had zero help as my family were abroad and oh's family don't really like to get involved! To say it was busy with the two is an understatement but we got there in the end. My older boy is having a regression with his toilet training which has been hard going but there has been so much change and upheaval I'm not surprised. Fingers crossed its a quick phase! We went on our first weekend away as a family of four this past weekend. It was brilliant.
    I hope everyone else is doing great!

cant26 wrote:
    How are all the August mums getting on? Isn't the wonder weeks app great scarepanda? My little guy is just going into his first leap today..we will see what that brings for the week! We are getting on really well. Baby is really great and generally chilled out. Breastfeeding is still going great. He still gets one small bottle in the evening and tbh I'm going to keep that up. Have a pump that either I can't use or doesn't work so until I can figure it out and pump s bottle of a breast milk I'm keeping the 2oz of formula every eve. He is being weighed again today so fingers crossed we are still gaining weight. Would hope that he will have reached his birth weight by now. Few tough days last week where my OH was in hospital unexpectedly. Had zero help as my family were abroad and oh's family don't really like to get involved! To say it was busy with the two is an understatement but we got there in the end. My older boy is having a regression with his toilet training which has been hard going but there has been so much change and upheaval I'm not surprised. Fingers crossed its a quick phase! We went on our first weekend away as a family of four this past weekend. It was brilliant. I hope everyone else is doing great!

Hey cant26!!

Ya it really is. It's great to know when to expect the leaps and associated behaviours, especially the cranky ones during the leap!
    Ah that's a pity about the pump. I love the one I have. It's great to have when she sleeps for a long period and my boobs fill up, usually happens in the morning. It's great to be able to express, relieve the pressure and have some to freeze!
    Awww, I hope you're husband is on the mend now. God, everything's been thrown at you lately! How'd your little lad get on with the weigh in? I kinda look forward to them, but dread them at the same time.
    Missy had her 6 week check up today! She's flying it thank god. She's up to 10.25 lbs now! GP was very happy with her! It was kinda funny when she asked me if we had decided on contraceptives! I'm finally back driving! Was only in town at the weekend, but had so much to do/buy today. It was my first time in town with her, but she was such an angel. Only woke when she had a nappy and I woke her at one stage to feed just because one shopping centre has better facilities for changing and I could get a quite corner in the food court area to feed her while I had a latte.
    We have a wedding that's 3 hrs away this weekend. Any hints/tips for travelling that far with bubs? I'm not sure whether to chance her in pram over night or to bring the travel cot. Her aunty is coming with us to babysit. She can't wait which is great! It's so cute seeing her little outfit hanging up beside mine ;-)!

I hope everyone is doing good! I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by! The 6 week mark was such a major milestone with driving, GP check up and breastfeeding.... And now it's here!

Hey cant26!!

Ya it really is. It's great to know when to expect the leaps and associated behaviours, especially the cranky ones during the leap!
    Ah that's a pity about the pump. I love the one I have. It's great to have when she sleeps for a long period and my boobs fill up, usually happens in the morning. It's great to be able to express, relieve the pressure and have some to freeze!
    Awww, I hope you're husband is on the mend now. God, everything's been thrown at you lately! How'd your little lad get on with the weigh in? I kinda look forward to them, but dread them at the same time.
    Missy had her 6 week check up today! She's flying it thank god. She's up to 10.25 lbs now! GP was very happy with her! It was kinda funny when she asked me if we had decided on contraceptives! I'm finally back driving! Was only in town at the weekend, but had so much to do/buy today. It was my first time in town with her, but she was such an angel. Only woke when she had a nappy and I woke her at one stage to feed just because one shopping centre has better facilities for changing and I could get a quite corner in the food court area to feed her while I had a latte.
    We have a wedding that's 3 hrs away this weekend. Any hints/tips for travelling that far with bubs? I'm not sure whether to chance her in pram over night or to bring the travel cot. Her aunty is coming with us to babysit. She can't wait which is great! It's so cute seeing her little outfit hanging up beside mine ;-)!

I hope everyone is doing good! I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by! The 6 week mark was such a major milestone with driving, GP check up and breastfeeding.... And now it's here!

Yes having an idea of what to expect is great and also when you see that you're heading back into sunnier days is also always a relief!!!

Congrats on getting your independence back and going into town with your little girl for the first time. it's hard going not being able to drive for six weeks. I think I would crack up.

We had another weigh in yesterday. This time by a PHN that I wasn't familiar with and tbh she was annoying. He had gained 210g in the week and I was happy with that. That meant he'd finally passed his birth weight. All the other PHNs and midwives were so relaxed about the weight and even said that for breast fed babies three weeks would be the norm for getting back up to the birth weight and not to be fixating with the weight, as long as it's going in the right direction and he is alert and the nappies are as should be that's fine. This lady takes a different approach. Wants me to increase the top up which I'm not doing as I don't think it's necessary. If he starts losing weight again then that's fine. She also made a remark that it was the top up that was having him gain the weight he has gained. Hopefully I don't see her again because I won't have the same level of patience I had yesterday.

I now have the vommiting bug :( it's laughable at this stage the run of bad luck we've had! Yes my OH is going good now, got an awful fright though.

Oh a wedding will be lovely. That's so cute that you have your two outfits together. I honestly think travelling with tiny babies is the easiest time to travel with children especially when your breastfeeding. I just brought the pram for him to sleep in. It's approved for occasional overnight sleeping. I wouldn't be carting the travel cot with me. On the journey front I would usually stop once if the journey was three hours or more. So maybe try figure out in advance a place that is handy to stop do a quick feed and change. Have a great time at the wedding.
    Oh god the thoughts of contraception is annoying. Not that I'll need it any time soon!!!! I always said that two was my number but this past week I can't seem to shake off the thoughts that this can't be the last time I do this. Hopefully it's just the hormones :)

cant26 wrote:
    it's hard going not being able to drive for six weeks. I think I would crack up.
    I very nearly did! But it was nearly as hard on my OH, coz he didn't get a minute to himself since he went back to work. Hes working Monday to Friday, gets home and gets the dinner sorted coz I'm usually feeding herself around that time and then at the weekend I was dragging him places just so I could get out and about.
    cant26 wrote:
    She also made a remark that it was the top up that was having him gain the weight he has gained. Hopefully I don't see her again because I won't have the same level of patience I had yesterday.
    Oh my god, what a horrible thing to say to someone. Especially a mother who has had some issues trying to get breastfeeding going and weight on their baby. Id normally be very timid, but i would have a massive problem with what she said. Probably even to the point of mentioning it to her manger.
    I'm no expert, but iv learnt to tell the PHNs what they want to hear when they start taking ****e - like waking baby every 3 hrs/length of time to let them sleep for etc coz every baby is different and you gotta figure out what works for you and baby. Obviously you take note to what they say, but filter it! I have to say though, I'm lucky in that my PHN seems very good and pretty relaxed. But her cover when she was on holidays really annoyed me - baby should sleep for no longer than 3 hrs......
    If it's any help or reassurance iv been told by a few nurses and my GP that they would expect between 110-130g/w weight gain for a breastfed baby. My PHN was delighted when muggins put on 260g in a week at her last weigh in with the PHN.
    cant26 wrote:
    I now have the vommiting bug it's laughable at this stage the run of bad luck we've had! Yes my OH is going good now, got an awful fright though.
    Oh no! Hope your feeling better. Not nice feeling under the weather yourself with two smallies to look after and entertain!
    cant26 wrote:
    Oh a wedding will be lovely. That's so cute that you have your two outfits together. I honestly think travelling with tiny babies is the easiest time to travel with children especially when your breastfeeding. I just brought the pram for him to sleep in. It's approved for occasional overnight sleeping. I wouldn't be carting the travel cot with me. On the journey front I would usually stop once if the journey was three hours or more. So maybe try figure out in advance a place that is handy to stop do a quick feed and change. Have a great time at the wedding. Oh god the thoughts of contraception is annoying. Not that I'll need it any time soon!!!! I always said that two was my number but this past week I can't seem to shake off the thoughts that this can't be the last time I do this. Hopefully it's just the hormones
    Ya, id planned on just bringing the pram, but she doesn't seem to be settling in it as well as she used to. She 'sleeps' in it during the day so I presume it's OK for the odd night. I'm not really sure what the difference is between an approved one and one that's not. she's not sleeping through the night yet though, so wouldn't be in it much longer than a normal sleep during the day. Iv got a travel steriliser to bring with us as she will be getting a couple bottles and iv to sterilise the shield's any way. The last major town is about half way, so need to figure out where to stop so that I can change as well. My dress won't allow for feeding or pumping so will have to go down in normal clothes. Will probably have to figure out where to stop on the way to the reception as well actually...
    My GP was actually great about it. I just said we hadn't had a proper chat about things which she said was understandable, but she gave me a prescription for a pill that is breastfeeding safe that I can get at any stage if iv decide to without having to go back into her.
    Haha, I don't really have a number, but I do know I want them close enough in age. I think if I hadn't had a section I'd be looking to go again within the year, but the hospital advised to wait at least 12 months before even trying again to allow the section to heal properly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Cant26 what's wrong with the pump, what's it doing/not doing?

I very nearly did! But it was nearly as hard on my OH, coz he didn't get a minute to himself since he went back to work. Hes working Monday to Friday, gets home and gets the dinner sorted coz I'm usually feeding herself around that time and then at the weekend I was dragging him places just so I could get out and about.

Oh my god, what a horrible thing to say to someone. Especially a mother who has had some issues trying to get breastfeeding going and weight on their baby. Id normally be very timid, but i would have a massive problem with what she said. Probably even to the point of mentioning it to her manger.
    I'm no expert, but iv learnt to tell the PHNs what they want to hear when they start taking ****e - like waking baby every 3 hrs/length of time to let them sleep for etc coz every baby is different and you gotta figure out what works for you and baby. Obviously you take note to what they say, but filter it! I have to say though, I'm lucky in that my PHN seems very good and pretty relaxed. But her cover when she was on holidays really annoyed me - baby should sleep for no longer than 3 hrs......
    If it's any help or reassurance iv been told by a few nurses and my GP that they would expect between 110-130g/w weight gain for a breastfed baby. My PHN was delighted when muggins put on 260g in a week at her last weigh in with the PHN.

Oh no! Hope your feeling better. Not nice feeling under the weather yourself with two smallies to look after and entertain!

Ya, id planned on just bringing the pram, but she doesn't seem to be settling in it as well as she used to. She 'sleeps' in it during the day so I presume it's OK for the odd night. I'm not really sure what the difference is between an approved one and one that's not. she's not sleeping through the night yet though, so wouldn't be in it much longer than a normal sleep during the day. Iv got a travel steriliser to bring with us as she will be getting a couple bottles and iv to sterilise the shield's any way. The last major town is about half way, so need to figure out where to stop so that I can change as well. My dress won't allow for feeding or pumping so will have to go down in normal clothes. Will probably have to figure out where to stop on the way to the reception as well actually...
    My GP was actually great about it. I just said we hadn't had a proper chat about things which she said was understandable, but she gave me a prescription for a pill that is breastfeeding safe that I can get at any stage if iv decide to without having to go back into her.
    Haha, I don't really have a number, but I do know I want them close enough in age. I think if I hadn't had a section I'd be looking to go again within the year, but the hospital advised to wait at least 12 months before even trying again to allow the section to heal properly etc.

Thanks scarepanda. I'm on my phone so can't quote but I thought the gain was great avo he put on 300g the week before. You are right. I'll take what they say with a pinch of salt in future and tbh it's just been this one old biddy. The rest of them have been so relaxed and lovely which I was surprised at. There's a lot of negative stories about them, especially here on boards!
    Ya I don't know the difference about the overnight sleeping prams either. The assists in Bella baby said our was approved but I haven't seen it anywhere else though. Tbh I'd have the same thinking as you, he's not sleeping through so it's exactly the same as being out and about asleep in it or napping. Go with whatever will be less stressful on the day. I hope you have a fabulous day. We were meant to have a wedding at the end of October and I was so looking forward to it but they decided to go abroad in the end!
    I'm half thinking of getting the coil, going to discuss with the GP at the six week check.
    Have you gone to any groups? I got a txt from the HSE about the meet up for August mums. It's on this morning. I think I'll drop in for a look. It's ran by the PHNs.
    We are defo into our leap now!!

Cant26 what's wrong with the pump, what's it doing/not doing?

It's not expressing milk

cant26 wrote:
    Thanks scarepanda. I'm on my phone so can't quote but I thought the gain was great avo he put on 300g the week before. You are right. I'll take what they say with a pinch of salt in future and tbh it's just been this one old biddy. The rest of them have been so relaxed and lovely which I was surprised at. There's a lot of negative stories about them, especially here on boards! Ya I don't know the difference about the overnight sleeping prams either. The assists in Bella baby said our was approved but I haven't seen it anywhere else though. Tbh I'd have the same thinking as you, he's not sleeping through so it's exactly the same as being out and about asleep in it or napping. Go with whatever will be less stressful on the day. I hope you have a fabulous day. We were meant to have a wedding at the end of October and I was so looking forward to it but they decided to go abroad in the end! I'm half thinking of getting the coil, going to discuss with the GP at the six week check. Have you gone to any groups? I got a txt from the HSE about the meet up for August mums. It's on this morning. I think I'll drop in for a look. It's ran by the PHNs. We are defo into our leap now!!

Well, when we had the regular weigh-ins I would have been delighted at 210g in a week! There definately are a lot of negative stories. I noticed though that what you are told regarding bf, even in the hospital, varies greatly depending on who your talking to - how long to allow to sleep, whether to wake up or not, when to introduce a bottle, opinion on shield's etc etc etc.
    I can't find out anything online at the moment either. I might get himself to have a look later on, he did all the research when we were looking at which one to get so he might have better luck. I do remember he read up that the pram was suitable for overnight sleeping if we got a different matress, but the sales assistant in the shop said it wasn't approved so I dunno. I have a feeling that it'll be OK, but that companies don't want to take responsibility if anything were to happen.
    No I haven't gone to any yet. Probably will next week now that I'm back driving, iv been up the walls this week. I hate the thought of going on my own though!! Let me know how you get on if you decide to head in to your local one!
    Oh, I hope he's not too out of sorts for you. It's horrible when you can't really help them. But the difference is amazing afterwards! Muggins is due to start her second leap in the next few days, I'm really hoping she doesn't go into it over the weekend! I really hate the thoughts of her aunty having to look after her if she's cranky!

cant26 wrote: »
    It's not expressing milk

Well yeah I figured that bit :) I just meant if you could see that the pump part wasn't working, or the suction wasn't correct/100% etc it might be possible to get it working properly. Or if it's working fine but just you're not getting much as often happens, then it'd be a case of just eating oats/brewers yeast or getting into a pumping routine to up the output.

• Advertisement

Well, when we had the regular weigh-ins I would have been delighted at 210g in a week! There definately are a lot of negative stories. I noticed though that what you are told regarding bf, even in the hospital, varies greatly depending on who your talking to - how long to allow to sleep, whether to wake up or not, when to introduce a bottle, opinion on shield's etc etc etc.
    I can't find out anything online at the moment either. I might get himself to have a look later on, he did all the research when we were looking at which one to get so he might have better luck. I do remember he read up that the pram was suitable for overnight sleeping if we got a different matress, but the sales assistant in the shop said it wasn't approved so I dunno. I have a feeling that it'll be OK, but that companies don't want to take responsibility if anything were to happen.
    No I haven't gone to any yet. Probably will next week now that I'm back driving, iv been up the walls this week. I hate the thought of going on my own though!! Let me know how you get on if you decide to head in to your local one!
    Oh, I hope he's not too out of sorts for you. It's horrible when you can't really help them. But the difference is amazing afterwards! Muggins is due to start her second leap in the next few days, I'm really hoping she doesn't go into it over the weekend! I really hate the thoughts of her aunty having to look after her if she's cranky!

I had a big reply typed and lost it all :( have a great time at the wedding, I hope everything works out well logistically too.

I did go to the mums meet up. I didn't get a great first impression but that is only because it was badly organised. It was in the lobby of a hotel which had limited space so everyone couldn't sit together. For some reason the PHN focused on the largest table and decided to ignore everyone else. Even when it came to offering tea and coffee unless you were at the biggest couch/seating area you weren't asked if you'd like any(she took orders then brought it to the bar). I was sitting at the next couch with two other mums and we just laughed it off, we had a nice chat amongst ourselves but we did note that if anyone who wasnt feeling themselves or if they were a first time mum who was a bit aprehensive it could have been an awful experience. I am going to go again next week to give it another shot because they are meant to be great and it's been ran by another PHN!!

I finally mastered the pump. I just pumped 2.5oz and stuck it in the freezer when I just realised I forgot to remove the excess air before sealing the bag so I don't think I can use it. The learning curve on this whole thing is something else!!

cant26 wrote:
    I had a big reply typed and lost it all have a great time at the wedding, I hope everything works out well logistically too.

cant26 wrote:
    I did go to the mums meet up. I didn't get a great first impression but that is only because it was badly organised. It was in the lobby of a hotel which had limited space so everyone couldn't sit together. For some reason the PHN focused on the largest table and decided to ignore everyone else. Even when it came to offering tea and coffee unless you were at the biggest couch/seating area you weren't asked if you'd like any(she took orders then brought it to the bar). I was sitting at the next couch with two other mums and we just laughed it off, we had a nice chat amongst ourselves but we did note that if anyone who wasnt feeling themselves or if they were a first time mum who was a bit aprehensive it could have been an awful experience. I am going to go again next week to give it another shot because they are meant to be great and it's been ran by another PHN!!

cant26 wrote:
    I finally mastered the pump. I just pumped 2.5oz and stuck it in the freezer when I just realised I forgot to remove the excess air before sealing the bag so I don't think I can use it. The learning curve on this whole thing is something else!!

The wedding was great! We didn't make the church though unfortunately. Muggins decided she wanted a cluster feed when we stopped on the way down and we would have been too pushed for time to make it to the church before the bride, so we just went straight to the hotel. Muggins was really good though for her aunty which was brilliant. She got a mixture of frozen and freshly expressed milk and she got a comfort feed around her bed time. I was surprised by myself that I was pretty relaxed being away from her for the few hours. But that has a lot to do with her aunt. We both had full confidence that she'd call us if needed rather than struggle on with a cranky baby because she didn't want to pull us away from the wedding.
    That's a pity about the meet up. Hopefully the next one will be better. I need to suss out which meet I'm going to go to. There's a few around here.
    Ah that's brilliant that you got the pump working! Did you do anything differently with it? I don't think I'd have been able to go to the wedding if I wasn't able to express. It was a life saver! Why do to not think you can use the milk because you didn't remove excess air? I do remove it, but only because I'm a bit weird and it would bug me, but i don't remember it on the instructions for the bags that I use. How does it affect the Milk?

Cant I never heard that about excess air? I always popped my ebm into the freezer standing upright with air at the top, why wouldn't it be usable then? The milk will freeze fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Cant I never heard that about excess air? I always popped my ebm into the freezer standing upright with air at the top, why wouldn't it be usable then? The milk will freeze fine.

I think the reason you're told to remove the excess air is that when the ebm freezes it will expand... If the bag is full of air it may burst open. I don't think you have to remove all air or stress about it tho... Just leave enough room for the expansion upon freezing.

Just to add... Apparently too much air can cause freezer burn that can later taste... But I doubt small pockets of air will be an issue... You're never going to be able to squeeze out all the air unless you have something to suction it out with....

I can notice a big difference in my little girl the last week or so. She's started to finally get a little routine during the day, sleeps in the morning and cat naps in the afternoon. She's also started to sleep through the night as well. She does go down a little later than she used to, but doesn't wake for her night feed.
    She's also getting to a stage where she's happy to lay in her cot for a few minutes with her mobile on and coo away to herself, which is great as it gives me a few minutes with free hands to get stuff done.
    She's got her appointment for her 8 week vaccinations later this week.

I wasn't sure as the instructions on the nuk freezer bags said to remove any excess air. Then when I went to trusty Google I came across something from the milk bank that also stated to remove excess air. I used it and it was fine. Was probably from a storage point of view.

cant26 wrote:
    I wasn't sure as the instructions on the nuk freezer bags said to remove any excess air. Then when I went to trusty Google I came across something from the milk bank that also stated to remove excess air. I used it and it was fine. Was probably from a storage point of view.

That's interesting cant26. I find it easier to remove the excess air so that I can store them flat which makes it easier to defrost.

How's your little lad getting on? Are the PHNs happy with his weight now?

That's interesting cant26. I find it easier to remove the excess air so that I can store them flat which makes it easier to defrost.

How's your little lad getting on? Are the PHNs happy with his weight now?

Hi scarepanda. I've lost track of the amount of times I've started to reply only to leave it for a while and then have it wiped from my phone.

We are getting on great. Little boy is 9 weeks since Saturday and doing great. I'm still breastfeeding and it's going good. Two weeks ago at 7 weeks(6 week check a bit late!) he was 10lb 1oz. So still small but my GP was very happy with him and even though he's slipped down to the 15th centile they are not worried about him. Surprisingly the PHN has disappeared! He's still small but so alert and smiling and gurgling away. I had one of his soft toys attached to the bouncer this morning and he was amazed by it. He's just out of the second leap and I notice a difference already.

We've had our ups and downs with sleep but generally I get a four hour stretch then feed then another 2-3 hours so that's not bad. My older boy had about three weeks of constant wakenings so they were tag teaming me at one stage! As soon as one settled the other was up. Nightmare, three hours sleep a night for a week and I was ready to drop! Thankfully my toddler is much better now.

How are you getting on? How old is your girl now? I think your a few weeks ahead of me! Did you dress her up for Halloween? Baby was a pumpkin and toddler was a superhero! Such a fun evening. Next stop is Christmas.

how are you getting on with tummy time?! My guy is desperate. Just lies there happy out! Had a bit of a break through earlier and he lifted his head for a second. He's good when he's doing it on my chest but not on his play mats.

all in all we are doing great but omg is life so busy now. By right I should be back to my pre pregnancy weight but unfortunately my chocolate addiction is keeping me in size 14 for another while!!!

Hey cant26!! It's so good to hear from you! It's sad I know, but I miss chatting to others with babies around the same age as my little girl, but they take up so much time everyone's so busy!

Ah that's brilliant to hear that your still breastfeeding! Isn't it wonderful to see them develop and get so alert! I noticed the first leap more suddenly with my little girl, the second one took effect more gradually, but it's crazy how alert she is now. She takes everything in! Age wise she's just about to start the third leap, so it should be an interesting few days! She's 12 weeks this coming weekend and I really don't know where the time has gone. It's crazy. After how quickly time seemed to pass when I was pregnant I didn't think it could speed up any more, but it has!
    We've been very lucky with her sleep. I nearly always got 3/4hr blocks of sleep with her, then she dropped her middle of the night feed and started going 6/7hrs and last week when I started to put in more of a routine she started doing 8/9 hours sleep. I'm awake with her now after a feed, waiting for her to fall back asleep properly, but now trying to get her down for the night a little earlier, which usually means a feed in the middle of the night, but hopefully it'll mean I get a few hours in the evening to myself. I can't imagine there's many things harder than begin tag teamed at night! I don't envy you!
    We dressed her up as a Wookie. We got one of those big fluffy grows from tescos. My OHs Dad has a dog called wookie so it seemed appropriate! She was so cute and adorable!
    Over all were getting on good. She nursed like a made thing a couple weeks ago and got so heavy and long. She'd dropped to the 50th percentile at her weigh-in a few days before hand which kinda bothered me, bit no one seemed worried. she wasn't as hungry in the few days beforehand, so hopefully everything's OK. at that stage she was 11lbs at 8.5 weeks i think. It's kinda sad putting up the baby clothes. She's pretty much in all 3-6 mth clothes and has even grown out of some of that size to, although I reckon some have shrunk! Tesco seem to be the best terms of size and washability! Her gums are at her though. Bubbles, dribbles, trying to eat her fingers/fist/sleeves/bibs nearly constantly and general crankiness. And yesterday evening we noticed that her cheeks were rosey. I can't see any teeth in her gums though. I dunno what to, I know she's not about to cut any through so don't really want to give her any medication because this could go on for mouths, and she's not holding things yet so she wouldn't be able to use any teething toys, but it's horrible seeing her in discomfort.
    Haha... Tummy time..... She hates it. I'll be lucky to get a few minutes on the mat before she gets cranky and into a temper! She's far better doing it on us though, so I try aim for a few minutes every day on one of us. She's pretty good with her neck control, but I am worried whether it'll affect her rolling etc.
    Oh, don't talk to me about weight. I'm heavier now than i was at 5 weeks pp and it's really getting me down. I really need to get my ass in gear. Problem being I don't know where to start. Iv an awful sugar addiction which I hate and iv never been one for exercising. I'm trying to get back into walking, but I'm so unfit it's ridiculous. It's embarrassing actually.
    Anyways, muggins seems to be asleep here, so I'd better try get her back into the cot or ill be up for the day!

It's great hearing from you cant26!!

• Advertisement

Hey cant26!! It's so good to hear from you! It's sad I know, but I miss chatting to others with babies around the same age as my little girl, but they take up so much time everyone's so busy!

Ah that's brilliant to hear that your still breastfeeding! Isn't it wonderful to see them develop and get so alert! I noticed the first leap more suddenly with my little girl, the second one took effect more gradually, but it's crazy how alert she is now. She takes everything in! Age wise she's just about to start the third leap, so it should be an interesting few days! She's 12 weeks this coming weekend and I really don't know where the time has gone. It's crazy. After how quickly time seemed to pass when I was pregnant I didn't think it could speed up any more, but it has!
    We've been very lucky with her sleep. I nearly always got 3/4hr blocks of sleep with her, then she dropped her middle of the night feed and started going 6/7hrs and last week when I started to put in more of a routine she started doing 8/9 hours sleep. I'm awake with her now after a feed, waiting for her to fall back asleep properly, but now trying to get her down for the night a little earlier, which usually means a feed in the middle of the night, but hopefully it'll mean I get a few hours in the evening to myself. I can't imagine there's many things harder than begin tag teamed at night! I don't envy you!
    We dressed her up as a Wookie. We got one of those big fluffy grows from tescos. My OHs Dad has a dog called wookie so it seemed appropriate! She was so cute and adorable!
    Over all were getting on good. She nursed like a made thing a couple weeks ago and got so heavy and long. She'd dropped to the 50th percentile at her weigh-in a few days before hand which kinda bothered me, bit no one seemed worried. she wasn't as hungry in the few days beforehand, so hopefully everything's OK. at that stage she was 11lbs at 8.5 weeks i think. It's kinda sad putting up the baby clothes. She's pretty much in all 3-6 mth clothes and has even grown out of some of that size to, although I reckon some have shrunk! Tesco seem to be the best terms of size and washability! Her gums are at her though. Bubbles, dribbles, trying to eat her fingers/fist/sleeves/bibs nearly constantly and general crankiness. And yesterday evening we noticed that her cheeks were rosey. I can't see any teeth in her gums though. I dunno what to, I know she's not about to cut any through so don't really want to give her any medication because this could go on for mouths, and she's not holding things yet so she wouldn't be able to use any teething toys, but it's horrible seeing her in discomfort.
    Haha... Tummy time..... She hates it. I'll be lucky to get a few minutes on the mat before she gets cranky and into a temper! She's far better doing it on us though, so I try aim for a few minutes every day on one of us. She's pretty good with her neck control, but I am worried whether it'll affect her rolling etc.
    Oh, don't talk to me about weight. I'm heavier now than i was at 5 weeks pp and it's really getting me down. I really need to get my ass in gear. Problem being I don't know where to start. Iv an awful sugar addiction which I hate and iv never been one for exercising. I'm trying to get back into walking, but I'm so unfit it's ridiculous. It's embarrassing actually.
    Anyways, muggins seems to be asleep here, so I'd better try get her back into the cot or ill be up for the day!

It's great hearing from you cant26!!

Wow that's a great little sleeper you've got there! Yes the tag teaming nights were tough. In the last two to three weeks I can see a pattern forming in the evening. He feeds from around 7 until 8/8.30 and then I put him down in the basket and he falls asleep. OH dream feeds him his bottle( we kept up the 2oz top up just so he was used to the bottle and OH loves giving it to him!) then I could get until 4 on a good night twice I got to 5,30!! Usually it's 3. He's still in the Moses basket so it's nice and relaxed still. Kind of dreading transitioning to the cot. It means proper naps Upstairs and hooking up the baby monitor!!
    Oh my guy sounds just like your girl with the tummy time only he will happily just lie there for ten minute then start getting cross and only then attempt to lift the head off the floor! He's good on us though.
    We have the first set of vaccinations this afternoon :( poor little guy won't know what hit him.
    Omg the amount of dribblers we go through is crazy from all his drooling and bubble making. Teething is such a long process and I doubt my guy is. Remember reading somewhere before that the saliva glands in the mouth only kick in around the 8 week mark so im putting it down to that for another few weeks but if your girl had little rosey cheeks then you might be heading down that road!

I have a night away in a few weeks so have been expressing every night in preparation. I only get an ounce at a time because I usually do it an hour or so after he goes to bed or when my OH is giving him his bottle. I'd get much more in the morning or during the day but because of his weight issues he needs every drop he can get!! On that note, how often does your girl nurse throughout the day? Some days when we are out and about I could get three hours of a stretch out of him but when we are gone he will want a feed nearly every 1.5 hours or 2 max. During a growth spurt it's just insane! My sister in law has me warned about the three month growth spurt apparently it's hard going. She is just out of it and said her daughter fed 24/7 for a week. Dreading it as I feel so bad for my other son but he's really good about it most of the time.

It so hard to stay sway from the sugar when your tired though. Such a quick fix! I'm really going to try now for a few weeks but am also reminding myself that it took 9 months to put the weight on! Let's not be too hard on ourselves.

Advertisement