Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FlowerPower1

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Quick question for you...are any of you getting nose bleeds? I've had three since yesterday morning! From googling it, this is normal but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

I'm not getting nose bleeds but I feel my nose is more stuffy and blocked up than usual. I read it's about the increase in blood volume around the body. Apparently drinking lots of water is meant to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hey everyone!

Twinkle, I haven't had any noise bleeds, but I certainly do agree with flowerpower in that my nose seems permanently blocked in some shape or form.

Yesterday was a very productive day for us baby wise. We went up to Blanchardstown to have another look at the sola2 in mamas and papas. I'd written it off a few weeks ago when I had a look at it, but I wasn't happy because it's got great reviews online (oh has been doing all the research) and a sales assistant had turned me off the uppababy Cruz. So we had a demo of the sola and it was the first time a sales assistant has let me had a fooster with a buggy in store. Just collapsing it and opening it up again etc and I have to say I was really impressed with it. It felt completely different than the display model I was looking at the last time in Dundrum. So decision made ;-)!!
    Then we got a message from my OHs Dads partner saying that she had gotten some baby stuff from her family. Turns out that her relation has given her (us) the most beautiful moses basket and stand, a fancy looking baby swing chair, baby bath and a bouncy thing you hang from the door frame! And apparently there's more stuff if we want it, but havent a clue what exactly. It was a lovely surprise!

For those that have a moses basket, do ye/would ye have gotten any or much use out of a carrycot for the buggy? We were looking for a carrycot instead of a moses basket (was probably going to use cot from birth and use carrycot when not at home/grandparents babysitting etc), but now that we have a moses basket, I'm not sure we'll get the use out of a carrycot and I'm wondering if it's worth buying? The main buggy seat in the sola2 lies flat which would do (I presume) for a few hours when we're out in the grandparents on a Sunday etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

Wow scarepanda, you have hit the jackpot with getting all that stuff! You must feel so organised now!! And to have made the decision on the buggy must be a great relief. I had a look in Mothercare and Mamas and Papas and neither of them stocked the Mountain Buggy that I wanted to look at so my investigation continues.

Just to let you all know, the Baby Fair is on in the RDS next weekend. There is one in Cork the following weekend. I just checked the SMA website and unfortunately all of their free tickets are gone. But the tickets are €10 on the door and children under 12 go for free. Apparently it is a great event.

Mamas and Papas are also running Parents to be evenings with discounts and advice. They are free events, you just have to register online. Check their website for the dates for their various stores. I have booked in to the Dundrum one for Thursday 14th April.

Wow scarepanda, you have hit the jackpot with getting all that stuff! You must feel so organised now!! And to have made the decision on the buggy must be a great relief. I had a look in Mothercare and Mamas and Papas and neither of them stocked the Mountain Buggy that I wanted to look at so my investigation continues.

Just to let you all know, the Baby Fair is on in the RDS next weekend. There is one in Cork the following weekend. I just checked the SMA website and unfortunately all of their free tickets are gone. But the tickets are €10 on the door and children under 12 go for free. Apparently it is a great event.

Mamas and Papas are also running Parents to be evenings with discounts and advice. They are free events, you just have to register online. Check their website for the dates for their various stores. I have booked in to the Dundrum one for Thursday 14th April.

Oh twinkle it certainly feels good to have those things physically here. We have been offered a load of stuff and had said I'd take a moses basket off a neighbour, but you never know if they will follow through till you actually get the stuff. I really love the moses basket, it's gorgeous ;-)!! I haven't told my Mam we have the stuff in the house yet. Shes a bit old fashioned and superstitious! It was only last week I got a warning not to get anything till the baby arrived! Her thinking is that if anything goes wrong it will be awful hard on us having stuff already gotten, but at this stage it would be hard whether we had stuff or not.
    And having decided on the buggy is fantastic, Id been stuck on it for to long!! Now to figure out what else we need! Haha, it's never ending!

Iv my tickets gotten for the baby fair. Looking forward to it now, although iv no idea what to expect really! Thanks for the heads up about mama and Papas, I must sign up seeing as were getting their buggy! Doubt I'll be going to any of the info evenings as were from the Midlands, but I might still get some discounts off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

We haven't gotten any stuff yet, though we have ordered the buggy

We are busy clearing out stuff. Considering we live in a small terraced house it is amazing the amount of stuff we have accumulated. Having to be ruthless with books and college notes and things like that!

• Advertisement

brokensoul wrote: »
    We haven't gotten any stuff yet, though we have ordered the buggy

We are busy clearing out stuff. Considering we live in a small terraced house it is amazing the amount of stuff we have accumulated. Having to be ruthless with books and college notes and things like that!

Hi brokensoul,

What buggy did you go for in the end? I am hoping to view some at the baby fair this weekend but I must say, as a starting point I am very confused. I want a buggy that is good for out and about in the country so looking at three wheeler air filled tires. I am looking at the Mountain Buggy and the Icandy Peach but I haven't actually seen any of them in real life. Hoping to get demos at the Fair at the weekend.

Hi brokensoul,

What buggy did you go for in the end? I am hoping to view some at the baby fair this weekend but I must say, as a starting point I am very confused. I want a buggy that is good for out and about in the country so looking at three wheeler air filled tires. I am looking at the Mountain Buggy and the Icandy Peach but I haven't actually seen any of them in real life. Hoping to get demos at the Fair at the weekend.

Hi twinkle, we had a look at the Icandy's. Their a really nice buggy, quite light as well. Their expensive though, that's the only thing that turned us of them

Hi brokensoul,

We went for a mountain buggy duet. I was able to borrow one from a buddy to make sure it fit in the car and stuff and it has very decent wheels.

mountain-buggy-duet-2.5-all-terrain-compact-double-stroller-3-4-view-chilli.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 elleg

Hi All,

I've been MIA for a long while, but checking back in. Glad to hear that everyone is getting on well! Generally feeling good here. Skin is really dry, but apart from that no major complaints. We had our big scan and all looks well which is a huge relief. We're still team yellow.

The mountain buggy looks fab. We got our buggy too. I opted for the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double ( phew that's a mouthful). We have the single and I LOVE it so the double was a bit of a no-brainer. Managed to find one in fabulous condition on DoneDeal and picked it up yesterday. I'd definitely put the city mini GT on your list to consider too Twinkle. Make sure it's the GT version as the regular one doesn't have airfilled tyres.

In terms of a new born in a lie flat, it's definitely do-able, but you may want to consider an infant insert / head support foo the very early days. You can use the one from your carseat / bouncer etc. I actually just ordered this in black in the mamas and papas birthday sale because it seemed like good value for a soft carrycot. Hmmm...can't post the link as I'm a new user, but it's in their special EUR 35 event that ends Sunday. There's a nice moses basket and changing bags in that even too if anyone is looking.

Hey everyone!

Welcome back elleg!

So I think we've got the cot sorted, well sort of at least. Planning on using the one myself and brother were in. Dad finally took it down from the attic today. I was expecting something that had a million parts, but it had 3 sections, including the base and put together with 4 screws! Delighted! It's out in the car now, waiting for my OH to bring it inside to put in attic. I does need a Sanding and repaint though, and we need to get a mattress for it. Felt so weird seeing it standing today in the homeplace coz I remember my brother being in it!!

Really didn't plan on getting so much of the bigger things sorted this early! Have scan next week, so all going well we will start buying the other stuff then.

Was going through the hospital list yesterday and it got me thinking.... What do you actually need for baby for the first few days when you get home to get you started?

How everyone's feeling good! The time is flying by!

• Advertisement

That's really lovely that you're able to use the same cot.

Babies really don't NEED very much for the first few weeks. I'd say the essentials are:

Somewhere for baby to sleep & sheets and blankets as required
    pram / sling
    car seat (& mirror for headrest if you're as paranoid as I am)
    vests and babygros, cardigan, hat and jacket for going out
    nappies and water wipes / cotton wool
    muslin squares & possibly bibs
    then nursing bra & breast pads if breast feeding or bottles, formula and sterilizer if not
    possibly a bouncer / mat for putting the baby down on
    Changing mat
    baby bath (but you can totally use a sink too so even that's not essential)
    vitamin D drops (advised from birth)

That's really all I can think of for must haves in the first few weeks. I'm sure someone else will think of more. Obviously there's loads of stuff you can buy, but very little that teeny babies need right off the bat. You'll probably get given lots of stuff too. We got loads of clothes and toys so I'd go easy on those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

For anyone looking for a bottle steriliser, Smyths have the Avent 3 in 1 steam steriliser on offer at the moment for €39.99, down from €59.99. I saw it in Boots for €84.99! It really pays to shop around!

elleg wrote: »

Babies really don't NEED very much for the first few weeks. I'd say the essentials are:

pram / sling
    then nursing bra & breast pads if breast feeding or bottles, formula and sterilizer if not
    Changing mat

This is brilliant thanks! I have no idea what I actually need to get for the babas!

Had a GP visit today. BP is still slightly elevated 114/87 and then 114/82. Not a major concern apparently, but I need to start taking it easier.

Recommended physio for my hip pain. They were able to tell me that both babas have taken up residence right beside my left hip so that probably explains why it is hurting!

The dreaded fetal abnormality scan now next Tuesday. If that is ok then I might start to relax a tiny bit. Probably not though!

OK so we have cot and moses basket sorted, need to get mattress and bedding for both
    pram / sling
    Have decided on buggy and going to get carrycot as well
    Ya, we'll definitely be getting the mirror! Need to get car seat though
    Haven't got a clue how many of these we will need, I know they are typical presents so don't want to get to many
    Would love to get a supply of these. Not sure what brands etc to get for nappies, or how much we'll need of each size. Kind of afraid to buy nappies incase baby ends up being allergic to the brand we get.
    Again these are something I haven't a clue about! Although I would imagine there typical presents to get
    Will need these. I plan on breast feeding, but will be borrowing bottles and steriliser from a friend... Just incase.
    We have a swing chair thingy that was given to us, I presume it will be OK, need to double check that though.
    Changing mat
    Again still need to get one of these. Hoping to get a cot top changer as well.
    Again this was given to us last weekend, it's a small one. But my Mam thinks she has a bigger one as well.
    This might be a silly question, but are they for mammy or baby? Iv never heard of it being recommended, but I haven't a clue!

We don't want to get to much stuff like clothes that are typical presents. My OH is from a large family and while not expected, I'm sure they will all get something. The baby will be the first grandchild on each side as well.

Thank you elleg for the list, I'm so clueless when it comes to the less obvious stuff!

pram / sling
    Changing mat

This is brilliant thanks! I have no idea what I actually need to get for the babas!

Had a GP visit today. BP is still slightly elevated 114/87 and then 114/82. Not a major concern apparently, but I need to start taking it easier.

Recommended physio for my hip pain. They were able to tell me that both babas have taken up residence right beside my left hip so that probably explains why it is hurting!

The dreaded fetal abnormality scan now next Tuesday. If that is ok then I might start to relax a tiny bit. Probably not though!

Brokensoul, I had GP appt today and have big scan in Tuesday as well ;-)!!!

Glad GP appt went ok for you today! Listen to your babies though and start taking it handy.
    I'm so nervous about the scan on Tuesday. Kind of just want it over and for everything to be OK with baby.

scarepanda wrote: »

Again these are something I haven't a clue about! Although I would imagine there typical presents to get

This might be a silly question, but are they for mammy or baby? Iv never heard of it being recommended, but I haven't a clue!

We don't want to get to much stuff like clothes that are typical presents. My OH is from a large family and while not expected, I'm sure they will all get something. The baby will be the first grandchild on each side as well.

So on clothes we got gifed LOADS (1st grandchild on both sides) BUT every single person gave us 3 month or 6 month size. I think people don't want to risk very tiny stuff and give you something for baby to grow into. As a results we had loads for that age range (some of which I changed for bigger sizes as we were overrun), but very little for newborn / 1-3 month. That's just my experience though - anyone else? I bought a pack of 5 newborn white vests and 5 babygros to get started. As it turned out DS was a bit of a bruiser and v long so we were straight into 1 month so I just asked my mum to pick up a pack. Unless you're in the back of beyond with no help I'd buy the minimum and pick up the other bits as and when you need them.

Vitamin D is for the baby. I didn't' know about it until we had our first visit from the Public Health Nurse, but all babies should have it due to our crappy weather!! I still can't post links but if you Google "HSE vitamin D" it should come up with the info.

Best of luck with your big scans

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi everyone! Just catching up on everyone's news.

That so great that you have gotten so much stuff scarepanda and that you have your buggy organised. Lovely idea to use the cot you had as a baby, I had hoped to do that with my son but it was in a terrible state when we got it from the attic so had to dump it. Good luck tomorrow I hope the scan goes great.

Same to you brokensoul. Hope your other little baba is more cooperative with revealing themselves also!!

I have my big scan on Friday. The nerves are setting in. I hope to God everything will be ok.

Was feeling amazing energy wise the last few weeks, but have hit a huge wall today! Was crazy busy last week with last minute arrangements for a hen I organised. It was on at the weekend, great fun but definitely paying for it now. My whole body aches from tiredness. Was out until 2am both nights and just can't do it anymore. Hopefully a few early nights will sort me out because I was just getting used to feeling relatively normal!

I have nothing organised for this baby. All going well on friday we will start looking properly at buggies. It's the only big item we need. I like the Joolz day earth buggy and the bugaboo cameleon, so will compare the two and see which one suits our needs the most. Have also looked into booking a private breastfeeding class in June or July and that is it!

I hope everyone is having a good day:)

Good morning all,

Hope you had nice weekends.

elleg, this list is great. I have added it to my now trusty notebook of To Do lists.

I hadn't heard of the Vitamin D drops either.

Did anyone go to the Baby Fair? I am SO thrilled with myself; got my buggy, carrycot, car seat, base and adapters all sorted at the weekend. I think I got a good deal (eek still seemed expensive).

For those of you planning to bottle feed, about three people who have recently become parents have said to me that the most convenient thing they got for baby was the Tomee Tippee Perfect Prep for bottle feeds. Apparently it makes up the feeds to the exact right temperature with no messing with letting water cool down and all this other stuff. It is available in Boots for €130 but I got one at the Baby Fair from Bella Baby for €99. You could chance saying that to Bella Baby and get the reduced price if you were interested.

Good morning all,

Hope you had nice weekends.

elleg, this list is great. I have added it to my now trusty notebook of To Do lists.

I hadn't heard of the Vitamin D drops either.

Did anyone go to the Baby Fair? I am SO thrilled with myself; got my buggy, carrycot, car seat, base and adapters all sorted at the weekend. I think I got a good deal (eek still seemed expensive).

For those of you planning to bottle feed, about three people who have recently become parents have said to me that the most convenient thing they got for baby was the Tomee Tippee Perfect Prep for bottle feeds. Apparently it makes up the feeds to the exact right temperature with no messing with letting water cool down and all this other stuff. It is available in Boots for €130 but I got one at the Baby Fair from Bella Baby for €99. You could chance saying that to Bella Baby and get the reduced price if you were interested.

Sounds like you are all organised Twinkle! Have heard great things about the perfect prep. It's the only thing my OH has talked about, another gadget for him to play with!! Going to hold off on buying it until after the baby comes and see how I fair out with the BF but will defo be getting it at some stage.

How are your nose bleeds? I haven't had one yet but my nose it really congested and sometimes bloody after blowing it (sorry for the TMI!).

Thanks can't26, hopefully all goes well for us tomorrow. At least I can now feel baby move most days and heartbeat was perfect on Friday at GP!

Good luck tomorrow brokensoul!

elleg, than you for all the info. I have a feeling we'll be getting what's needed for the hospital and himself will then be sent on a shopping trip for the few extra bits to get us started once we know if baby is a boy or a girl!
    Ha, I'm afraid of what size this baby could be... I was small, but it's daddy was a 9 pounder and his mams biggest (she's tiny) and she has 6 children! ;-/!!

I actually saw a stand for vit D at the baby fair at the weekend, picked up some leaflets, so will be looking into that further over the next few weeks.

I'm the same as you can't26, it's been non stop the last week and I hit the wall today. Had no interest in doing anything.... So it was a struggle!

Iv been thinking about breastfeeding the last few days as well. Not sure what to do about it actually. I plan to breastfeed, but don't really know where to start to set myself up for success. Iv seen that there's cuidiu in my local town though. I'm at clueless about some stuff!

Hope everyone's feeling well!

• Advertisement

cant26 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are all organised Twinkle! Have heard great things about the perfect prep. It's the only thing my OH has talked about, another gadget for him to play with!! Going to hold off on buying it until after the baby comes and see how I fair out with the BF but will defo be getting it at some stage.

How are your nose bleeds? I haven't had one yet but my nose it really congested and sometimes bloody after blowing it (sorry for the TMI!).

I feel so much more organised having ordered the travel system :-) It was a weight lifted to be honest.

I am hoping to breastfeed too. But a few of my friends have tried and had to give up after a while so I am hedging my bets on this! I am hoping I can get it to work for me though.

The nose bleeds have subsided again but I still have exactly what you have (the TMI ;-) ). Hopefully that is the end of them now.

I feel so much more organised having ordered the travel system :-) It was a weight lifted to be honest.

I am hoping to breastfeed too. But a few of my friends have tried and had to give up after a while so I am hedging my bets on this! I am hoping I can get it to work for me though.

The nose bleeds have subsided again but I still have exactly what you have (the TMI ;-) ). Hopefully that is the end of them now.

That's great, what travel system did you go for? That's is the part I love!!

I hear you on the breastfeeding. I didn't with my first. There were so many factors at the time but this time I want to give it a go and try my best. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out either though.

That's good about the nose bleeds, I'm still totally gross with congestion and the rest!

That's great, what travel system did you go for? That's is the part I love!!

I hear you on the breastfeeding. I didn't with my first. There were so many factors at the time but this time I want to give it a go and try my best. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out either though.

That's good about the nose bleeds, I'm still totally gross with congestion and the rest!

We got (what I think) is a great deal on the Icandy All Terrain. It was a little bit more expensive than the others but I reckon with the bundle I got at the fair we got a discount of around €350. I am delighted with myself as we live in a country area so really wanted to be happy with the buggy for getting out and about while the weather is still ok.

I am keeping a total open mind on breast feeding; if it works, great. If not, as you say, not the end of the world.

brokensoul, hope your scan goes well today.

Just out of scan. All fine with babas, they are "structurally perfect" according to the consultant. I have to go to the hospital in a few weeks for another detailed scan, which kinda freaked me out but apparently it is now policy as there is a twin clinic in CUMH and they want an opportunity to scan all of Dr Waterstone's private patients once. Yet another scan to fret about, but each positive scan makes me feel a little more secure. Gender scan still not 100% on twin two. We are def having one boy and consultant is 95% certain the other twin is a girl but still not certain. I love the idea of having one of each, but am trying not to get my hopes up too much.

I also had an internal scan to measure my cervix so the delightful dildo cam was back ;-) All fine there, consultant thinks I should go to term, which was great to hear.

Finally, I am clear to fly to heading to Italy on Monday for 10 days of sun and pizza!

Just out of scan. All fine with babas, they are "structurally perfect" according to the consultant. I have to go to the hospital in a few weeks for another detailed scan, which kinda freaked me out but apparently it is now policy as there is a twin clinic in CUMH and they want an opportunity to scan all of Dr Waterstone's private patients once. Yet another scan to fret about, but each positive scan makes me feel a little more secure. Gender scan still not 100% on twin two. We are def having one boy and consultant is 95% certain the other twin is a girl but still not certain. I love the idea of having one of each, but am trying not to get my hopes up too much.

I also had an internal scan to measure my cervix so the delightful dildo cam was back ;-) All fine there, consultant thinks I should go to term, which was great to hear.

Finally, I am clear to fly to heading to Italy on Monday for 10 days of sun and pizza!

Delighted all went great for you brokensoul. Must be such a relief to have that scan behind you now. Mad that twin two is still keeping you guessing. Had to laugh at dildo cam, had a fair few of them scans on my first!

We got (what I think) is a great deal on the Icandy All Terrain. It was a little bit more expensive than the others but I reckon with the bundle I got at the fair we got a discount of around €350. I am delighted with myself as we live in a country area so really wanted to be happy with the buggy for getting out and about while the weather is still ok.

I am keeping a total open mind on breast feeding; if it works, great. If not, as you say, not the end of the world.

brokensoul, hope your scan goes well today.

That's great that you are happy with your purchase, the iCandy are great. Never even considered going to the baby fair but by the sounds of it there were serious bargains to be got. Might see if there is another one coming up anytime soon.

Oh that is fantastic news brokensoul, you must be so relieved. I would love another scan in a few weeks. It will be lovely for you to see your little tots again so soon. Enjoy it and try not to fret.

I am so jealous of your trip to Italy...we got married there a couple of years ago and it is so fab!! Pizza galore...enjoy.

That's great that you are happy with your purchase, the iCandy are great. Never even considered going to the baby fair but by the sounds of it there were serious bargains to be got. Might see if there is another one coming up anytime soon.

There is one in the Rochestown park in Cork on the 22nd of May if that is any use to you.

And the one that was on in the RDS is being repeated in Cork (not sure of venue) next weekend too.

• Advertisement

Oh enjoy the holiday broken soul! A girl and a boy would be lovely!

Scarepanda - I would definitely recommend attending a cuidiu or LLL breastfeeding support meeting before babs is here. The lactation consultants in the hospitals are generally woefully overstretched, so if you do go to a meeting you'll have a couple of people (and their phone numbers) who you can contact for advice if you do run into difficultly.

Advertisement