Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hey ladies!

We had our scan yesterday evening and thankfully everything is good with baby, all measurements etc were perfect! Also got a couple of photos, one lovely one of he/she posing like mad ;-)!!! Also found out that protected weight of baby is approximately 7 pounds.... Very happy that it doesn't look like it'll be a 9 pounder like it's daddy!

Himself also got to feel baby move this morning ;-)!!

Painter was in yesterday to do baby's room and bathroom and have lads in today taking down all the **** trees in the back garden, Dads helping get the shed sorted and I'm trying to sort out the house! All go here at the moment!!

Thanks elleg! When would be a good time to start getting all that sorted? Like attending classes etc for breastfeeding? I know there's loads of time left (hopefully), but don't like leaving things to the last minute!

I finally feel like this is the start of the home stretch. The big scan is done and everything good there, and can start buying a few bits and pieces and work around the house is finally getting done (we rent and have been asking the ll since last year if we/he could remove all the evergreen trees etc from the garden).
    Here's hoping that everything goes to plan for us all from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Got my date for the twin clinic scan- 28th at 8.30 am. It will be my first time back in CUMH since my D&C last summer. Nervous at the thought of it and of going back in there, but probably for the best to get it over with!

Called out to my brother's ex wife tonight and got a load of baby stuff from her. Cot, cot bed, three (!!) strollers, car seat, moses basket, bouncer, bed clothes, stair gate. Other stuff I am probably forgetting.

Absolutely lovely to get it all, we are so grateful to her and my brother. Slightly tinged with sadness though, I know when they bought that stuff they had planned to have more kids but unfortunately it wasn't to be for them.

brokensoul wrote: »
    Got my date for the twin clinic scan- 28th at 8.30 am. It will be my first time back in CUMH since my D&C last summer. Nervous at the thought of it and of going back in there, but probably for the best to get it over with!

Called out to my brother's ex wife tonight and got a load of baby stuff from her. Cot, cot bed, three (!!) strollers, car seat, moses basket, bouncer, bed clothes, stair gate. Other stuff I am probably forgetting.

Absolutely lovely to get it all, we are so grateful to her and my brother. Slightly tinged with sadness though, I know when they bought that stuff they had planned to have more kids but unfortunately it wasn't to be for them.

Aww brokensoul, I can't even imagine the memories that will bring back to you, but at least this time it's for a far more positive reason and you will be able to see your little rascals again. Baby no.2 might even let ye find out which it is!

It's crazy how much of a relief or weight off the shoulders it is once you start to get the bigger stuff organised. I didn't realise how much it was on my mind till we unexpectedly were gifted stuff from OH Dads partners family.

Has sleep being eluding anyone else? Iv been awake since 4 am.... It's going to be a very long day me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hey ladies!

We had our scan yesterday evening and thankfully everything is good with baby, all measurements etc were perfect! Also got a couple of photos, one lovely one of he/she posing like mad ;-)!!! Also found out that protected weight of baby is approximately 7 pounds.... Very happy that it doesn't look like it'll be a 9 pounder like it's daddy!

Himself also got to feel baby move this morning ;-)!!
    Painter was in yesterday to do baby's room and bathroom and have lads in today taking down all the **** trees in the back garden, Dads helping get the shed sorted and I'm trying to sort out the house! All go here at the moment!!

Thanks elleg! When would be a good time to start getting all that sorted? Like attending classes etc for breastfeeding? I know there's loads of time left (hopefully), but don't like leaving things to the last minute!

I finally feel like this is the start of the home stretch. The big scan is done and everything good there, and can start buying a few bits and pieces and work around the house is finally getting done (we rent and have been asking the ll since last year if we/he could remove all the evergreen trees etc from the garden).
    Here's hoping that everything goes to plan for us all from now on.

Great that your scan went well, you must've been relieved. All systems go for you now!
    We have a list of housey/diy bits we need to get done before August too. Can't wait to start ticking them off. First on the agenda is refreshing my sons room. He is moving into a bed in a few weeks so we are going to paint his room and change it up a bit. Can't wait.
    Have my scan this afternoon. Look forward to seeing the baby again and having it over me.

Hope you get through it ok brokensoul. As scarepanda says I can't imagine The feelings it must provoke.
    Great that you and the babies are getting such thorough care.xx

• Advertisement

cant26 wrote: »
    Great that your scan went well, you must've been relieved. All systems go for you now!
    We have a list of housey/diy bits we need to get done before August too. Can't wait to start ticking them off. First on the agenda is refreshing my sons room. He is moving into a bed in a few weeks so we are going to paint his room and change it up a bit. Can't wait.
    Have my scan this afternoon. Look forward to seeing the baby again and having it over me.

Best of luck today!
    It certainly is a relief, although I wasn't as worried going in this time because I can feel baby move alot. Was just apprehensive that everything was OK with heart etc so that was making me nervous.

Oh your son will be delighted with a new fancy room! How is he talking to the idea of becoming a big brother?

Best of luck today!
    It certainly is a relief, although I wasn't as worried going in this time because I can feel baby move alot. Was just apprehensive that everything was OK with heart etc so that was making me nervous.

Oh your son will be delighted with a new fancy room! How is he talking to the idea of becoming a big brother?

Thank you! Yes I'm the same, feel baby kicking about all the time just hoping all is ok with them.

We haven't told our son yet. He's not three yet and I want to be fully sure(as sure as you can be) that all is ok. Also he has no concept of time so he will want the baby here now!! Going to broach the subject gently over the next few weeks. Saw a cute book online you can get personalised to help understand what's about to happen.

Thank you! Yes I'm the same, feel baby kicking about all the time just hoping all is ok with them.

We haven't told our son yet. He's not three yet and I want to be fully sure(as sure as you can be) that all is ok. Also he has no concept of time so he will want the baby here now!! Going to broach the subject gently over the next few weeks. Saw a cute book online you can get personalised to help understand what's about to happen.

Awww ;-)!!! Their so cute at that age! I'm sure having a 'big boys room' will help also.

Ya, I felt very weird about this scan. Nervous but not overly worried going in, and after I felt a mixture of relief that everything was OK but also a tinge of anticlimax and I can't quite put my finger on why. Obviously I was delighted to see baby and get some (creepy!!) Photos, but I just wasn't quite on cloud nine like I was after the scan at 14 weeks. May be because I can feel baby kick and felt movement very early on. The clinic were getting out private scans with have a discount on the third trimester scan and after first scan at 9 weeks I was definitely going to get it, now I'm not so sure. At the moment I'm kinda happy to feel movement and hear heartbeat at checkups, but not necessarily have another scan before we meet baby...... Well see though how I feel in 2 months time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Glad to hear that everyone's pregnancy is going well. The last few days I've literally felt my skin stretch from the baby growing, it was actually quite sore. This trimester I've had such bad insomnia, sleeping 3-4 hours at most. I suppose I need to get used to it. Have my glucose tolerance test on Tuesday so lots of great things happening at the moment :D.
    Also trying to get my child out of her cot and into her big bed. I had left a double bed in her room thinking she'd be going straight into that but we don't have the space so she'll be in a toddler bed for now and little baby will be joining her eventually in her old cot. I just hope he is as good a sleeper as she is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

I would love to get my daughter a book like that, could you pass on the name if you have it. I'm really not sure how she'll react, she's so used to having the limelight on both sides of the family but she does love babies and they call her The Wee Mammy at crèche! When I was having my anomaly scan we brought our daughter with us and the midwife asked us if we wanted the bump referred to as a D O G. Lots of parents do this apparently. Very funny but I believe in honesty all the way. I don't want her to think she's getting a puppy in August :)

• Advertisement

I would love to get my daughter a book like that, could you pass on the name if you have it. I'm really not sure how she'll react, she's so used to having the limelight on both sides of the family but she does love babies and they call her The Wee Mammy at crèche! When I was having my anomaly scan we brought our daughter with us and the midwife asked us if we wanted the bump referred to as a D O G. Lots of parents do this apparently. Very funny but I believe in honesty all the way. I don't want her to think she's getting a puppy in August :)

It's called writing for tiny. It looks lovely and hopefully reading that over the next few months will plant the seed gently. My guy is the same. Very much used to being centre of attention! He's a great little boy and is very gentle with his little cousin but going through a 'mine' phase! Sharing isn't his favourite thing right now so hopefully it will have passed by the time time he has to share mammy and daddy. He loves saying sharing is caring though!!!
    That's lovely that you brought your girl to the scan. I didn't even consider it, how was her reaction? That is crazy that people refer to the bump as a dog. Definitely believe in honesty too, especially with such a big topic.

Awww ;-)!!! Their so cute at that age! I'm sure having a 'big boys room' will help also.

Ya, I felt very weird about this scan. Nervous but not overly worried going in, and after I felt a mixture of relief that everything was OK but also a tinge of anticlimax and I can't quite put my finger on why. Obviously I was delighted to see baby and get some (creepy!!) Photos, but I just wasn't quite on cloud nine like I was after the scan at 14 weeks. May be because I can feel baby kick and felt movement very early on. The clinic were getting out private scans with have a discount on the third trimester scan and after first scan at 9 weeks I was definitely going to get it, now I'm not so sure. At the moment I'm kinda happy to feel movement and hear heartbeat at checkups, but not necessarily have another scan before we meet baby...... Well see though how I feel in 2 months time!

It's such a massive build up though isn't it? As long as your feeling happy and comfortable with how things are going is the main thing. All going well I have another scan at 37 weeks to check on baby's size. This will determine on whether I'll be brought in early or not. It's on the consultants request. Don't think I'd get another one privately but sure you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

brokensoul, I had the exact same experience (had a D&C at 13 weeks last year) and was very apprehensive returning to Holles St for the first time. But as you said, things are so different this time, feeling baby move a lot etc. that it is actually reassuring. You will be delighted to have a good memory to replace the last horrible one...well I was anyway. Very best of luck with it.

I am absolutely sharing the enthusiasm for the organising buzz...I think it makes me feel like I am on top of things, ready for this new arrival :-)

Just back from my scan. All went great thankfully. We are having another little boy!! Delighted :)

Just back from my scan. All went great thankfully. We are having another little boy!! Delighted :)

Delighted to hear this. Lovely news!

Delighted to hear this. Lovely news!

Thanks a mill, great way to start the weekend. Hope all good with you :)

Thanks a mill, great way to start the weekend. Hope all good with you :)

I'm good. Have been really busy this week, and completely hit a wall this afternoon but we are heading on holidays next week (hence the all the rushing this week) so have that to look forward to!

Can't wait :)

I'm good. Have been really busy this week, and completely hit a wall this afternoon but we are heading on holidays next week (hence the all the rushing this week) so have that to look forward to!

Can't wait :)

Enjoy your holiday :) it will be lovely to relax and recharge the batteries before the babies come.

Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here in the last few days. Glad to hear that everyone's scans have gone well.

Have a great holiday brokensoul. I'd love nothing more than to be breaking off somewhere warm for a few days!

Hi all,

A tip my friend sent me last night that I thought worthy of sharing with the group. If you haven't already got one, a Baby Thermometer (Ear/Forehead) is apparently a great investment. Aldi are doing a deal on them this Thursday (21st April) for €11.99 which from the ads I am seeing online is significantly cheaper than elsewhere.

Happy holidays brokensoul...super jealous!

• Advertisement

Twinkle, I was looking at that thermometer, wasnt sure if it was any good, Although a few friends have only great tunings to say about Aldi baby stuff. I shall be taking a trip in there Thursday morning!

Twinkle, I was looking at that thermometer, wasnt sure if it was any good, Although a few friends have only great tunings to say about Aldi baby stuff. I shall be taking a trip in there Thursday morning!

I wouldn't have a clue really scarepanda. But it was my friend (who has a 3 year old and a 4 month old) who recommended it to me. She said it is really good and a great source of peace of mind for her when she suspects the kids are feeling off. But apparently the Aldi stuff is good.

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a clue really scarepanda. But it was my friend (who has a 3 year old and a 4 month old) who recommended it to me. She said it is really good and a great source of peace of mind for her when she suspects the kids are feeling off. But apparently the Aldi stuff is good.

We do our shopping in Aldi and rarely have any complaints about the stuff in there, food or otherwise. Sure we'll give them a go. I'll definatley be getting the cellular blankets, hooded baby towels and muslin cloths anyways. Looking at the bouncy chair thingy as well.... Looks gorgeous! We have a swing version of it, but not sure if it's suitable from newborn, I definatley prefer the look of the Aldi one for a newborn anyways. Are the cot tidy things worth it? And possibly the travel cot......

This is the first time I'll have allowed myself to buy stuff.... Think there's a very big risk of me losing the run of myself ;-)!!!!

We do our shopping in Aldi and rarely have any complaints about the stuff in there, food or otherwise. Sure we'll give them a go. I'll definatley be getting the cellular blankets, hooded baby towels and muslin cloths anyways. Looking at the bouncy chair thingy as well.... Looks gorgeous! We have a swing version of it, but not sure if it's suitable from newborn, I definatley prefer the look of the Aldi one for a newborn anyways. Are the cot tidy things worth it? And possibly the travel cot......

This is the first time I'll have allowed myself to buy stuff.... Think there's a very big risk of me losing the run of myself ;-)!!!!

I just had a look at their website...there are some great deals on it! God I am learning new things every day. I had to look at what a cot tidy was! Apparently the travel cot is a great double up for a playpen so maybe it is worth it.

Have you got your bag of goodies from eumom? If not, sign up on their website and get one. It has great samples of loads of things in it and the size of the samples will be great for a changing bag.

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    I just had a look at their website...there are some great deals on it! God I am learning new things every day. I had to look at what a cot tidy was! Apparently the travel cot is a great double up for a playpen so maybe it is worth it.

Have you got your bag of goodies from eumom? If not, sign up on their website and get one. It has great samples of loads of things in it and the size of the samples will be great for a changing bag.

I'm lazy ;-) I never registered with them! But I must! Was kinda disappointed that there wasn't more samples of stuff at the baby fair I must say.... I wouldn't have a clue about most things!
    I was chatting to a friend a few weeks ago about what we would need to get started, and she was going through a list of stuff in her head about baby powder and creams and all sorts that I hadn't even considered ;-)!!! At that stage id only gotten as far as buggy/cot/nappies those sorts of things!

We found a play pen in the attic belonging to our Lls. It needs a bit of TLC though. We had planned on using that, but...... :-)!!!!
    I'm not 100% sure exactly what you'd use the cot tidy for... But we're getting a cot top changer, so it might be handy for that.... I dunno though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 elleg

Hey ladies!

So glad that your scan went well. I would try to get to a class in the month before you're due. Just means you'll have contact details for some friendly people if you need any help.

Lovely news cant26. The book sounds great! Might be an idea for my DS. He hasn't got his head around the idea at all yet!

Enjoy the holiday brokensoul.

The Aldi baby event looks great. We got muslins and blankets from there before and they were lovely. The thermometer looks like a great deal. I'm raging because I just spent the guts of EUR 60 on a Braun one the other week.

Scarepanda I'd hold off on the lotions and potions to be honest. I don't think talc is really recommended anymore. We just used water / water wipes on DS and the odd bit of sudocream. Your baby could have sensitive skin or be prone to nappy rash, but you won't really know until they arrive.

elleg wrote: »
    So glad that your scan went well. I would try to get to a class in the month before you're due. Just means you'll have contact details for some friendly people if you need any help.

Lovely news cant26. The book sounds great! Might be an idea for my DS. He hasn't got his head around the idea at all yet!

Enjoy the holiday brokensoul.

The Aldi baby event looks great. We got muslins and blankets from there before and they were lovely. The thermometer looks like a great deal. I'm raging because I just spent the guts of EUR 60 on a Braun one the other week.

Scarepanda I'd hold off on the lotions and potions to be honest. I don't think talc is really recommended anymore. We just used water / water wipes on DS and the odd bit of sudocream. Your baby could have sensitive skin or be prone to nappy rash, but you won't really know until they arrive.

Thanks elleg! I haven't a notion on some things!!

No not planning on getting any of that stuff, only some water wipes. My friend was just thinking out loud and said that we'd probably end up getting all that kinda stuff as presents! It just caught me, coz they hadn't even crossed my mind!!!

It's crazy all the stuff that some of my friends got as baby presents, I can't really get my head around it if I'm honest.

Iv actually just come across this thermometer, dunno if it's any good, but certainly cheaper than it normally is. Pick your local/easy to get to stores and the website will tell you if it's in stock etc.

http://checkargos.com/product/7325850#

Hi everyone. Oh it's so exciting that the shopping is under way! was just checking out the aldi catalog and there are some great bargains. I will hopefully be picking up a thermometer, great value.

I agree with eleg about the lotions and potions. Probably best to wait until the baby is here. My little lad was 11 days over due which left him with such dry skin due to being overcooked! Since birth he has had super sensitive skin and has had eczema since he was 6 months. Nice creams and bubbles would have been totally wasted on us!

How's everyone feeling? I'm an emotional wreck since the weekend:o really teary and hyper sensitive. I don't like it!

The book is lovely eleg, we haven't introduced it yet as we just told him at the weekend and don't want to bombard him too much. It's a bit pricey at €28 but it's like a little keepsake and has a lovely hardback cover. How old is your little one?

• Advertisement

Hi everyone. Oh it's so exciting that the shopping is under way! was just checking out the aldi catalog and there are some great bargains. I will hopefully be picking up a thermometer, great value.

I agree with eleg about the lotions and potions. Probably best to wait until the baby is here. My little lad was 11 days over due which left him with such dry skin due to being overcooked! Since birth he has had super sensitive skin and has had eczema since he was 6 months. Nice creams and bubbles would have been totally wasted on us!

How's everyone feeling? I'm an emotional wreck since the weekend:o really teary and hyper sensitive. I don't like it!

The book is lovely eleg, we haven't introduced it yet as we just told him at the weekend and don't want to bombard him too much. It's a bit pricey at €28 but it's like a little keepsake and has a lovely hardback cover. How old is your little one?

Hi cant26!

How did your little one react with the news?

I was like a rat yesterday. Don't really know why, was just really irritable. Luckily I wasn't chatting to anyone, and the 'builders' outside didn't come near me. Their doing my head in! And then my back started acting up last night. I just gave up and was tucked up in bed asleep by 10!!!

I'm lying on the couch at the moment doing some computer stuff with the two dogs sound asleep around me..... It's all good at the moment anyways!

Advertisement