Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi ladies!

Hope everyone's enjoying the bank holiday weekend!

We've had a very busy, but very productive weekend getting the garden and fencing sorted! Not finished yet, but secure for the dogs and that's the main thing!

I have a question however.... Has anyone been having really really weird dreams? The last three nights iv had really weird ones all having a theme of baby coming early and the dogs being sick or making me sick. In the one last night I got a tropical disease off the oldest one and was being put under pressure from doctors to get rid of them :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Hope ye are all enjoying the bank holiday weekend.
    Seems a few of us are up for the GTT soon, fingers crossed it goes ok for us all.
    Lovely to hear that twin two has been confirmed a girl brokensoul. You must be delighted. I'm sorry to hear that you were left a bit worried after your scan though. Hopefully your consulted will put your mind at rest ehen you see them next. Had you a great holiday?
    We went to tony kealys yesterday to do some buggy research! Really love the bugaboo chameleon so think that's the one we will be going with. Just want to check out the joolz in Bella baby first though because that's also on the list.
    Think I will have to root out my pregnancy pillow soon because I'm starting to get a small bit uncomfortable at night. I'm doing good though, sleeping well thankfully. At this stage last time the pillow was a permanent fixture and the insomnia had set in! Fingers crossed I get another few weeks of decent sleep.
    I am starting back at acupuncture next week after almost a years break, I can't wait.

I have the Bugaboo Chameleon and it is a fantastic pushchair. I got it from Tony Kealy's also. The only thing I'll say about it is that you need a very big boot for it as it comes apart in two pieces.

I'm sleeping like a log every night at the minute but I'm getting so heavy and slow. I'm not feeling bad for relaxing a bit more now. The nesting hasn't kicked in yet but I'm going to Ikea at the weekend to get my daughters room sorted so need to get organised over the next few weeks.

I was chatting to my partner about the whooping cough vaccination and he had it as a newborn baby and was hospitalised for over 5months with it during the last epidemic in the 80s so I'm more swayed to get the jab now.

I hope everyone is doing great. I'm nearly 27 weeks now and it seems to be getting faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

cant26 wrote: »
    Lovely to hear that twin two has been confirmed a girl brokensoul. You must be delighted. I'm sorry to hear that you were left a bit worried after your scan though. Hopefully your consulted will put your mind at rest ehen you see them next. .

Hey there, the holiday was great. Really enjoyed it. Sign is on, my blood pressure (which was borderline normal/high) is down since I came back!

Consultant scanned me this morning and he is quite happy with twins development. Such a relief!!!!! Back to twin clinic next week so they can finish the bits from the anatomy scan that they couldn't see the last time and back to the consultant in three weeks. Also have to attend the GP for my 4 week check up - it is a full time job at the moment :)

Hope you are doing well and that all the August mammies to be enjoyed the long weekend.

Hi everyone!

How's everyone getting on?
    Final trimester is in sight for all of us now! I'm getting very nervous and excited, I keep flip flopping on which I'm feeling!

I'm still sleeping awful, and having those weird dreams. But I did pass the GTT yesterday, so that's one more thing to not worry about! I asked the nurses yesterday and Mullingar do the GTT as standard these days. Apparently to many mother's to be were being diagnosed with GD even if they were low risk, so they introduced it as a standard test.

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Final trimester is in sight for all of us now! I'm getting very nervous and excited, I keep flip flopping on which I'm feeling!

I'm still sleeping awful, and having those weird dreams. But I did pass the GTT yesterday, so that's one more thing to not worry about! I asked the nurses yesterday and Mullingar do the GTT as standard these days. Apparently to many mother's to be were being diagnosed with GD even if they were low risk, so they introduced it as a standard test.

Yup, I freak when I think of how quick the babas might arrive! If I go to term I have 13 more weeks, but likely to be a bit less. Jesus, we have nothing done!!!

I am not being tested for GD on the basis that my urines are clear and there is no family history. Don't know if this is unusual or not? Have to have a full blood test done at 28 weeks, but they don't require a glucose test as part of it.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone!

I think it's great that they test everyone now. Better to be on the safe side.

I'm getting so heavy, I feel like I'm walking around with two blocks on my feet. I'm very stiff. I overdid the exercise at the weekend too.

Heading to Dublin at the weekend and I'm going to get my hospital bag sorted then. My partners Mum offered for us to move into her house for a few weeks after the baby is born. I think I'll take her up on the offer before my daughter starts preschool. It's all fun and games :)

Brokensoul, in most of the country (as far as I know) it's only tested if your over 35, obese or have a family history of diabetes. I asked the nurses coz I was curious coz I didn't meet any of those criteria. I will be honest in saying that I got a bit of a fright when I got the letter about the appointment. My GP didn't really give me a straight answer, but I don't think she knew for definite herself as she would be mainly dealing with patients going to balinasloe.
    Judge Trudy, I'm delighted I was tested because iv a very sweet tooth and had a worry in the back of my head since I found out I was pregnant that it might be an issue even though I didn't have any typical symptoms and from scan at 22+5 baby was measuring on the small side.

I'm starting to notice the bump getting in the way these days, in very subtle ways, even though I think I'm still very small. My days of eating dinner and watching tv are at an end.... It was to much of a struggle last night and leaning over was aggravating my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Great news that your consultant is happy with the babies brokensoul, must be a lovely relief.
    You too scarepanda, that's great that you've passed the GTT.
    Mine is next week. Like you I'm happy to be tested. Better to know and if I have it will be treated accordingly.
    In Galway they test women over 30. Im 32 so that and the fact that my son was huge are the reasons I'm being tested!
    Obviously I hope I don't have it but will look at the extra monitoring as a good thing if I do! My date for it is Friday the 13th too...
    I'm 24+1 today and feel as if I've doubled in size in the last week. I weighed myself last night out of curiosity and I've put on 6kg so far. Had a GP appointment yesterday and all was good except I forgot to ask about the whooping cough vaccine.
    Judge trudy my little guy is starting preschool in September too, so much change for him all at once. I hope he's ok with it all. Great to hear you love the chameleon. We both have big boots so thankfully they won't be a problem. Thanks for the tip though.
    Started toilet training my son today. So far so good. Following a three day method so hoping he will have grasped it by Sunday. Apart from doing the darkness into light walk in the morning I'll be housebound and attached to the little monkey waiting for him to do his business for the weekend!
    Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Best of luck cant 26 with the GT test. The worst part for me wasn't having to take the lucozade as so much a having to drink so much of it so quickly! The nurse was lovely though!

Dad just dropped the cot up here, his friend is a painter and he repainted it for us! Now to sort out the mattress and that's that fully sorted out! Happy days!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Had a voucher for the Imperial Hotel in Cork so went for a pregnancy massage today. Oh ladies, it was divine!!!

The had me lie on this thing that was for all the world like a giant hot water bottle. It took all the pressure of my joints and obviously the heat helped the massage as well. Now it was €100 so can't see myself getting another one unless I get another voucher - but it would make a great gift for a pregnant friend.

• Advertisement

How long were you in the hospital for the test scarepanda? Can't wait to get it over with. dreading the lucozade, absolutely hate the stuff.

That's great that you have the cot all ready to go. You seem super organised. I have nothing done yet, a lot of talking and making lists but no progress!

That massage sounds fab brokensoul, what a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Bet you slept well last night too!

Was in for just over 2 hours. Was there for 9, first bloods taken around 9.20, drank lucozade, second bloods around 10.10 and third bloods around 11.15 I think. They state that's it's a three hour test. But it's three bloods with 1 hour intervals.

Haha, we are. Didn't think we'd have things sorted out this early, but it's nice to have things done. We've just been doing small bits at a time for the last few weeks especially. Main things we still need to get are mattresses for cot and moses basket and bedding and a trip to IKEA for some furniture so that I can get everything organised. Started picking up a few bits for hospital bag during the week. Have none, or very little stuff got for the baby though.

Brokensoul, I'm sooooo jealous! The massage sounds soooo good! My back is still hit and miss, and I think it just needs a good rub. There's one spot that keeps pinching on me and radiates out from there. Hot water bottles are my friend when that happens ;-)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galii

Hall everyone I am due Aug 10th, it's my first baby so a bit lost and excited of course too! Would love if you could add me to your Facebook group. My email is <snip> thanks!

galii wrote: »
    Hall everyone I am due Aug 10th, it's my first baby so a bit lost and excited of course too! Would love if you could add me to your Facebook group. My email is <snip> thanks!

Welcome welcome!

Didn't know anything about a facebook group im afraid.

We picked a name for girl baby today. It makes it all seem so much more real :) Still debating on boy baby's name.

Welcome Galil, also don't know anything about a Facebook group!

Thanks for the info on the GTT Scarepanda. It's not as long as I was anticipating, I thought I would be there for half the day. You are so right to tip away at bits and pieces, it's nice feeling like it's all coming together. I am a bridesmaid the week after next so hopefully after that I will be able to put some time into my to do list.

Aw that's lovely that you have your girls name Brokensoul. I think we have our boys name too. It's a name I adore but it was immediately shut down by my OH at the beginning of my pregnancy. When we found out we were having a boy he suddenly changed his mind and said he liked it! I am a bit hesitant now because I want to make sure he does really like it and isn't just pleasing me!! I adore it and it goes lovely with our sons name so it is a definite front runner:D

I am feeling like an absolute whale today in work:o. Feel so self conscious for some reason, probably because the maternity dress I am wearing makes me look as wide as a gate:mad: It's going to in the bin this evening!!!

How is everyone else doing?

I thought the same cant26, but it wasn't too bad.
    It sure is nice getting things done. Now if only we could get the landlord moving on stuff his end it would be brilliant!!!

Fair play on having baby names decided upon already! We have a rough list of both, but not definitive yet! I'm kinda like you cant26, I have a girls name that I love for ages and ages, he's not a fan, but it's lasted on the list and I'm partially afraid that he'll agree to it just because I love it.

How are you getting now about the size of the babies brokensoul? Have you had a scan with your consultant since? It's brilliant that you will have one of each!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

Hi all,

Hope you are all well. Welcome Galii. You are due 4 days after me :-) Where are you having your baby?

Sounds like everyone is getting organised now...between buggies, cots and names it is all go. We have a good bit done too (I think). We have a boy and a girls name decided (at last) so I am happy to stick with them. The only things I have left to do really are for myself for the hospital bag.

cant26, most days I feel ok size wise. It isn't until my mother in law visits and every time she sees me says 'My God, you're as big as a house...are you sure you aren't having twins' that I feel like an elephant. She also bought me a dress she saw on sale...size 18! I am usually a size 10. I wore it once, actually was as wide as a gate and now it will reside in the back of the wardrobe forever! Have you gotten in to your maternity jeans yet? I reluctantly put mine on about two weeks ago and it immediately changed how I felt about myself. They actually fit...no extra lumps and bumps. I should have been wearing them ages ago.

In relation to the Facebook group, a friend of mine (who recommended Boards to me) was on it for the April due dates and she said the group decided to come off boards and communicate through a Facebook group they set up instead. So if people preferred that, we would have to set it up ourselves. I don't know how to do it but if it is something people are interested in, let me know and I'll try to figure that out.

I thought the same cant26, but it wasn't too bad.
    It sure is nice getting things done. Now if only we could get the landlord moving on stuff his end it would be brilliant!!!

Fair play on having baby names decided upon already! We have a rough list of both, but not definitive yet! I'm kinda like you cant26, I have a girls name that I love for ages and ages, he's not a fan, but it's lasted on the list and I'm partially afraid that he'll agree to it just because I love it.

How are you getting now about the size of the babies brokensoul? Have you had a scan with your consultant since? It's brilliant that you will have one of each!

Met with consultant last week. He is happy with the size of them (thank God!). He measured one twin bigger than the hospital had, and the other twin about the same so at 24 weeks they were measuring at 24 and 23 weeks, which he said was well within normal range.

Back to the hospital this Thursday so that they can hopefully finish the anatomy scan so will see what they have to say.

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope you are all well. Welcome Galii. You are due 4 days after me :-) Where are you having your baby?

Sounds like everyone is getting organised now...between buggies, cots and names it is all go. We have a good bit done too (I think). We have a boy and a girls name decided (at last) so I am happy to stick with them. The only things I have left to do really are for myself for the hospital bag.

cant26, most days I feel ok size wise. It isn't until my mother in law visits and every time she sees me says 'My God, you're as big as a house...are you sure you aren't having twins' that I feel like an elephant. She also bought me a dress she saw on sale...size 18! I am usually a size 10. I wore it once, actually was as wide as a gate and now it will reside in the back of the wardrobe forever! Have you gotten in to your maternity jeans yet? I reluctantly put mine on about two weeks ago and it immediately changed how I felt about myself. They actually fit...no extra lumps and bumps. I should have been wearing them ages ago.

In relation to the Facebook group, a friend of mine (who recommended Boards to me) was on it for the April due dates and she said the group decided to come off boards and communicate through a Facebook group they set up instead. So if people preferred that, we would have to set it up ourselves. I don't know how to do it but if it is something people are interested in, let me know and I'll try to figure that out.

OMG what is your mother in law like!! I actually burst out laughing. Isn't it strange that it is the one time where people feel it's ok to make such blunt opinions on our size.

So the dress is out of action and will not resurface unless I am really stuck. Bought a pair of over the bump skinny jeans in new look a few weeks ago and they are still a bit big. I'm not sure what their sizing is like but I bought my usual size 12 and they are very loose. Very comfy though, I haven'r put them on in about a week so they might fit better now!
    It was such a revelation, I had a few pairs of under the bump skinny from ASOS while pregnant with my son and they broke my heart pulling them up. They didn't make it to this pregnancy:D

I have Facebook but don't really use it so would't have a clue how to set something like that up.

Hi girls!

Re Facebook, I'm on it but rarely use it and won't be joining any group on it unfortunately. I'm just not a fan, but that's just me! I'm actually surprised, we've managed to keep our baby news off fb so far. One friend mentioned me in the comments section of a pregnancy article, but I managed to remove it pretty quickly! Thank God for mobile data!!

That's brilliant brokensoul. Going from our anatomy scan they measure baby and say whether it's small, big or normal based on averages. They don't seem to take into consideration parents build/own birth weight etc. At that scan our little one was measuring 4 days smaller I think based on those measurements, but still within in normal ranges for EDD. But myself and my brother were 6 something and my Mam was only 4.5 pounds at full term, so small babies run on my side.

Oh I love my maternity jeans! Iv been in them since about 15 weeks I think. My normal ones were just too uncomfortable to keep wearing. A few people have mentioned it to me that I'm great to still be in jeans.... They think I'm in normal clothes ;-)!! I don't think alot of older people realise that maternity clothes these days aren't quite as sack like as they were years ago! I'm still in normal tops and jumpers by and large. Just have a few dressier maternity tops for good wear. I do need to find a fitted jacket/blazer though for a dress. My normal one doesn't fit me properly any more and I can't seem to find any online.....

I'm back in hospital for the first time next week since booking appointment. Looking forward to it, although I haven't a clue what they will do, hopefully they will do another scan.

• Advertisement

Just went up to my bosses office there and when I came in she said "Jesus, you are very pregnant all of a sudden"

Maybe this dress isn't as flattering as I thought ;)

brokensoul wrote: »
    Just went up to my bosses office there and when I came in she said "Jesus, you are very pregnant all of a sudden"

Maybe this dress isn't as flattering as I thought ;)

:D I am sure that is just something she said without thinking. I think people feel like they have to comment on it regularly. I passed two managers on the stairs yesterday and one said "God you are all baby out on front today". I laughed....maybe I should have cried :confused:

Hi girls!

Re Facebook, I'm on it but rarely use it and won't be joining any group on it unfortunately. I'm just not a fan, but that's just me! I'm actually surprised, we've managed to keep our baby news off fb so far. One friend mentioned me in the comments section of a pregnancy article, but I managed to remove it pretty quickly! Thank God for mobile data!!

That's brilliant brokensoul. Going from our anatomy scan they measure baby and say whether it's small, big or normal based on averages. They don't seem to take into consideration parents build/own birth weight etc. At that scan our little one was measuring 4 days smaller I think based on those measurements, but still within in normal ranges for EDD. But myself and my brother were 6 something and my Mam was only 4.5 pounds at full term, so small babies run on my side.

Oh I love my maternity jeans! Iv been in them since about 15 weeks I think. My normal ones were just too uncomfortable to keep wearing. A few people have mentioned it to me that I'm great to still be in jeans.... They think I'm in normal clothes ;-)!! I don't think alot of older people realise that maternity clothes these days aren't quite as sack like as they were years ago! I'm still in normal tops and jumpers by and large. Just have a few dressier maternity tops for good wear. I do need to find a fitted jacket/blazer though for a dress. My normal one doesn't fit me properly any more and I can't seem to find any online.....

I'm back in hospital for the first time next week since booking appointment. Looking forward to it, although I haven't a clue what they will do, hopefully they will do another scan.

Pennys actually have a pile of blazers in loads of colours if you didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. I got a red one there recently (nothing special...just something to throw on over my fabulous maternity jeans ;) ) and its grand.

Good luck with your appointment next week. I actually like them...it is always reassuring to get an update from the professionals.

Oh thank you twinkle!!! I must go in and have a look. Just need something a bit dressier to go over a good dress. Have a communion and wedding coming up in the next few weeks that I'll be wearing the dress to and a cardigan would be to casual.

I know each hospital is different, but in general what do they do at the hospital appointments?

Oh thank you twinkle!!! I must go in and have a look. Just need something a bit dressier to go over a good dress. Have a communion and wedding coming up in the next few weeks that I'll be wearing the dress to and a cardigan would be to casual.

I know each hospital is different, but in general what do they do at the hospital appointments?

Well I wore the red blazer I got over a dress for a wedding a few weeks ago and it did the job perfectly. If you got good weather, it'll end up thrown on the back of a chair somewhere anyway. Just looks good for the photos. I think they are around €16.

In my hospital appointment they took a urine sample and did a quick test on that, reviewed my file, then I went in to the consultant who did a quick scan (very quick - 60 seconds tops), checked all the vitals (heartbeat, position, placenta, fluid etc.) and then arranged my next appointment. I also had the Glucose Challenge that day (drink this green liquid and then have blood taken an hour later) and they checked my iron levels. That was it.

The only thing I seem to be not getting compared to everyone else on here is measurements and weight of the baby. I have never been told that!

Ya exactly, but you never know with the lovely Irish weather what it'll throw at you!!!

Oh I hope I don't have to do that. I only had the GT test last week!

I suppose we were told because our scan was private. Mullingar don't do the 20 week scan unfortunately.

Anyone else's back getting really sore and achy? I've been in agony on and off since the weekend. Didn't have it with my first.

I'm also considering a house move down to where my partner is from and is working, it's a 1.5 hour drive away and when baby comes a 3 hour round drive a day won't be fair on my partner. I have so much to weigh up as my daughter will be starting the local Naionra in September so I'm wondering would a house move, a new baby and starting in a new preschool be too much for her in the space of 2 months. I'm in two minds what to do but my partners parents have a house for rent at the minute so we'd need to make up our minds soon. If we were moving, it would only be for a year. Decisions decisions.

Anyone else's back getting really sore and achy? I've been in agony on and off since the weekend. Didn't have it with my first.

I'm also considering a house move down to where my partner is from and is working, it's a 1.5 hour drive away and when baby comes a 3 hour round drive a day won't be fair on my partner. I have so much to weigh up as my daughter will be starting the local Naionra in September so I'm wondering would a house move, a new baby and starting in a new preschool be too much for her in the space of 2 months. I'm in two minds what to do but my partners parents have a house for rent at the minute so we'd need to make up our minds soon. If we were moving, it would only be for a year. Decisions decisions.

That is a tough one, kids are very adaptable though!

Bit sore and achy myself this week, had a busy day today and am wiped after it. I still am not used to how much more tired things make me these days!

Judge Trudy and brokensoul, I am also noticing some aches and pains sneaking in. Especially in bed...I am finding it hard to get a comfortable sleeping position and so am waking up with a sore back and hips.

I am finding myself quite tired in the evening but trying to make myself go out for a short walk just to boost energy levels so I am not in bed by 8.30pm!!!

I guess it all goes with the territory these days.

• Advertisement

Went back for the rest of my anatomy scan this morning. All fine with that, thank god, but the twin clinic still concerned that they are measuring small so I will be scanned weekly from here on.

They are 1lb 5oz and 1lb 7 oz, which puts them in the 3rd percentile.

Lots of movement, strong heartbeats, good doplers and no structural issues so they are stressing to me that they don't see any issue but they want to keep an eye on it.

Feel like crying though, so scared that the won't thrive.

Advertisement