Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God saves crazy lady

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"Those who know me know me to be an intelligent and sensible person."

Reading that article could have fooled me. She's deluded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So she got treated at hospital, but believes that treatment wasn't enough on it's own, and it's the prayer that saved her.

So either she believes that she should have stayed at home and prayed, or that prayer alone isn't enough and "god" needed a helping hand from the doctors and it was only the two in combination that saved her.

It's newspapers printing this kind of delusional drivel that causes people to go off seeking homeopathy and other such snake oil nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭valoren

During prayer, when the hand of a Christian faith healer was laid on my head, I could feel my fingertips and legs and toes tingle with pins and needles

At least give the credit for curing the leukemia where it is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get why people don't think why their God didn't prevent this in the first place.
    Same with the Paris attacks and the "Pray for Paris" tweets and posts. Surely if God existed he would have stopped it happening, what good can this God do after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd have no problem with her believing that God cured her, she's free to believe whatever she wants to believe, as are we all. It's other people believing that God cured her that's dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I understand the skepticism.

What I don't share with you guys is the need for this lady to believe what I believe.

Let that go and liberate yourself of torment and anguish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

"murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely if God existed he would have stopped it happening, what good can this God do after?

That's to prevent mans use of free will.

Would you like being stopped doing whatever you want to do? You'd probably be the very one complaining if He did that to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

That's one way to get your biography published I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Would you like being stopped doing whatever you want to do? You'd probably be the very one complaining if He did that to you.

Yes because "free will" causes cancer. I'm glad I have the free will to choose to get cancer whenever I want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

At least it's not as bad as when people start throwing Karma around as if it's a force of revenge and justice.

"Can't believe that guy crashed into my car and drove off! Hope karma bites him in the ass"

"Well what did you do that Karma made crash into you in the first place?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fair play to god for taking time out of his busy schedule to cure this girl. Probably is a nice change from giving African kids aids.

faceman wrote: »
    "Hope karma bites him in the ass"

You'd really need a vindaloo or a madras for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Disease, famines, natural disasters etc are not caused by free will.

With my own free will I have decided long ago he doesn't exist and is in the same place as Santa and the Tooth Fairy, so he won't' do anything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Tim Minchin covers this perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

topper75 wrote: »

What I don't share with you guys is the need for this lady to believe what I believe.

I like a bit of anguish.

I like a bit of anguish.
    And you usually have to pay for the torment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Must remember this next time I have a doctor's bill.

"Nah mate, it was God that fixed me up. I don't owe you anything."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

All those cancer victims who lost their battle just didn't pray hard enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

topper75 wrote: »

The point is nothing to do with wanting her to believe anything.

It's that if a business leader came out and declared that his business success was not down to his employees, but rather his weekly ritual goat sacrifice to Cthulhu, then he'd be in the papers only so everyone could laugh at him.

But somehow when it comes to this stuff it's fawning over, "Oh look how religious she is, isn't she so great and strong?". No, she's a fruitcake, and we shouldn't be glorifying fruitcakery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Whatever makes her happy, sure leave her at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

seamus wrote: »
    The point is nothing to do with wanting her to believe anything.

It's that if a business leader came out and declared that his business success was not down to his employees, but rather his weekly ritual goat sacrifice to Cthulhu, then he'd be in the papers only so everyone could laugh at him.

But somehow when it comes to this stuff it's fawning over, "Oh look how religious she is, isn't she so great and strong?". No, she's a fruitcake, and we shouldn't be glorifying fruitcakery.

Sure it is nothing to do with an egoistic "world would be better if they believed what I believe" take on the story?

Let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Surely we arent so bad now that anybody who displays religious faith (especially in a horribly stressful life or death situation) has to be insulted, derided and mocked ?

imitation wrote: »
    Surely we arent so bad now that anybody who displays religious faith (especially in a horribly stressful life or death situation) has to be insulted, derided and mocked ?

There's a huge difference between saying "Praying helped me get through the mental stress of cancer" and "Praying cured my cancer"

Duggy747 wrote: »
    All those cancer victims who lost their battle just didn't pray hard enough...

Or just prayed to the wrong god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Here comes the Atheists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Here comes the Atheists.
    Followed closely by the clowns who believe that some figment of their imagination can cure life threatening illnesses at the drop of a hat...

Why do I get the feeling that every time a story about a crazy religious view gets brought up, all the posters from the Christianity forum are texting each other sometime like "Did you see what's on AH? You better get in here quick, I need back up! May the lord be with you..."?

Here comes the Atheists.

Somehow I don't think your average believer believes THAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Followed closely by the clowns who believe that some figment of their imagination can cure life threatening illnesses at the drop of a hat...

It wasn't the drop of a hat that would be silly.
    No it was when a faith healer laid hands on her.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between saying "Praying helped me get through the mental stress of cancer" and "Praying cured my cancer"

AND the fact that the Indo have this in the "health and wellbeing" section of the "paper", not in the "pseudo-cults and flights of fancy" section.

Advertisement