Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God saves crazy lady

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

topper75 wrote: »
    Oh yes - genuine fear on your part that medical advice would not be sought by readers of the article. A clear and present danger.

Nothing at all to do with an ego-driven desire to have everybody share your clever take on such matters.

Can't it be both?

And even if it was only the latter, so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Oh yes - genuine fear on your part that medical advice would not be sought by readers of the article. A clear and present danger.

Nothing at all to do with an ego-driven desire to have everybody share your clever take on such matters.

Clearly her god didn't work as well as morphine :
    "I remember crying out in severe pain until the out-of-hours doctor sent us to A&E, where finally the doctors - who don't usually give children morphine - had no other choice but to inject me with it at five in the morning, which put me straight to sleep.

that and a few prayers to Saint Chemo

not that it's a competition or anything :
    "Leukaemia just seemed like the worst type of cancer because the cancer was in my blood, which flowed to every cell of my body."
    A new study shows that children with the most common type of childhood cancer, acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) have a survival rate of more than 90%.
    Pancreatic cancer : only 1 out of every 100 (1%) will survive for 10 years or more after diagnosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Here's a great example of where this stuff can lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Kev W wrote: »
    Can't it be both?

And even if it was only the latter, so what?

So then, proselytising a.k.a a driven need to have everyone else to adopt your take.

Aaaand... we're back at square 1.

Most of us who happened across the article probably had the same take on it, but they didn't demand sympathetic outrage. Where is that urge rooted? The very same place that would have Ireland as a Roman Catholic country. Different sides of the same coin - that is all I am warning about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

faceman wrote: »
    At least it's not as bad as when people start throwing Karma around as if it's a force of revenge and justice.

"Can't believe that guy crashed into my car and drove off! Hope karma bites him in the ass"

"Well what did you do that Karma made crash into you in the first place?"

It's like the time I crashed my car. Minor crash, absolutely no injuries.

"Well, you were lucky you weren't hurt"
    "No, I was unlucky that I crashed at all"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

In fairness the media is full of these stories.

Since I can remember I hear all sorts of scenario where God intervened.

Big swing,it's the way it is,I learned to deal with it.

Whether they're deluded or all woo about it,more than likely they are functional as human beings.

I don't even find it funny anymore, I used to but it showed up how shtty it is to be making a laugh out of so called deluded people.

Because I don't laugh at people suffering from depression or other mental illnesses,why should I laugh at people into woo or religion ???

They do so because that's their conditioning, if people think they can convert people to sanity or non believers....

Good luck ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Christy42

It has happened http://www.alternet.org/christian-kids-dying-because-their-parents-refuse-medical-treatment-and-its-perfectly-legal
    Surely that means there is a danger. There was an Irish case mentioned as well but I don't have a link to it.

I am pretty sure that I didn't my take on it. I just agreed with others.

I am always willing to change my view points based on evidence. What about if someone decided that they only needed to feed their children once every few days? They would have their children taken away no matter how much they claimed the holy spirit would their children's stomachs. Is that not forcing a view point on people? Obviously that is a made up ex ample but surely the same principle applies? She is encouraging faith based healers and like it or not people listen to celebrities. Faith based healing isn't an opinion or a take, it is simply wrong and dangerous. If someone shouted that cigarettes were good for you they would similarly be taken apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Duggy747 wrote: »
    All those cancer victims who lost their battle just didn't pray hard enough...

No. God has other plans for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lertsnim wrote: »
    No. God has other plans for them.
    Then he probably should have told them that and saved them all that praying. They could have been enjoying their last days.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

LorMal wrote: »
    Huge level of cynicism on here. Religious person believes in God intervention shocker! How dare she!!

She's belittling the efforts of the medical professionals who saved her life. If God is so terrific why didn't she not waste their time and just pray at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

She's belittling the efforts of the medical professionals who saved her life. If God is so terrific why didn't she not waste their time and just pray at home?

CvZbWsC.jpg?1
    (5 yr survival rates of childhood leukaemia)

Christians must have been awful at praying before 1950 - just look at the amazing advances in the power of prayer since then! You'd think that sometime after 1950 when prayer started to work for childhood leukaemia some ministers would have gotten together and documented exactly what they did to get God to start listening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lertsnim wrote: »
    God has other plans for them.

371336.jpg

pH wrote: »
    You'd think that sometime after 1950 when prayer started to work for childhood leukaemia some ministers would have gotten together and documented exactly what they did to get God to start listening.
    Note:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/11/18/vatican-announce-e300-million-investment-in-better-stronger-prayers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

i am interested in why there is so much hostility to Christianity on this forum. The idea that some people believe in God seems to really annoy a lot of posters.
    I totally understand anger at anyone who suggests that everyone should ignore science and instead use prayer to cure their illnesses.
    I dont think thats what girl said though. I think all she said was that she believed that her prayer cured her.
    Surely she is entitled to that belief system - as long as she is not coercing others to believe it?
    After all none of us have definitive proof of anything when it comes to why we are here.
    All the mockery and scorn sounds a little hollow to me - like whistling past the graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, when your kids are put to the bottom of admission lists for schools just because they're not of the right religion, maybe you'd understand where this perceived hostility is coming from.

Probably the biggest sticking point in this story for us is not just that this woman believes in homeopathy - it's that it's in the bloody health & wellbeing section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

i am interested in why there is so much hostility to Christianity on this forum. The idea that some people believe in God seems to really annoy a lot of posters.
    Believe what you want, but don't go preaching it like it's fact or truth and condemn to people to an eternity of misery when they don't participate in your fantasy. And certainly don't claim that your belief cured an illness that was clearly cured as a result of medical treatment!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Does it annoy you that somebody believes in the easter bunny? No of course not.

What about if they believed the easter bunny cured them of cancer? You'd find that very odd I guess wouldn't you?

What about if they claimed the easter bunny cured them of cancer and that the easter bunny can cure others of it to. Don't you think this would be a idiotic message to send out to vulnerable people who have cancer that needs proper medical treatment?

The belief in god annoys me as much as the easter bunny, in that it doesn't.

What annoys me is using the belief of the easter bunny...err I mean god to claim they can discriminate against other people or to push people away from proper medical treatment such as in this type of situation. Its dangerous and such idiots must be called out for what they are...frauds,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Cabaal wrote: »
    What annoys me is using the belief of the easter bunny...err I mean god to claim they can discriminate against other people or to push people away from proper medical treatment such as in this type of situation. Its dangerous and such idiots must be called out for what they are...frauds,

There's a correlation between this and the story the next day, about the woman in the Tallaght hospital who refused to be treated by a Muslim doctor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's a correlation between this and the story the next day, about the woman in the Tallaght hospital who refused to be treated by a Muslim doctor.

and that is exactly?

From a very rough glance of the story I've seen nothing to suggest that the Doctors religious beliefs in anyway affected their legal responsibilities to treat the parent or in anyway discriminated against the patient.

As such the patient should have had no problem with the Doctor, I know I wouldn't have had any problem with them.

I've been treated by a number of non christian doctors over the years. The only issue I ever had with one is when they gave me a prescription intended for another patient and when I pointed out their error they blamed the nurse claiming she gave me the wrong one (Doctor had written it infront of me and handed it to me on a previous day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Looks like God has saved this thread,because only for God this forum wouldn't be in existence.

Hold on a minute I forgot,there isn't any God......

Oh God

But there is a Mod. Mod saved this thread because only for Mod this forum wouldn't be in existence, so Mod created this forum and Mod saw that it was good.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    But there is a Mod. Mod saved this thread because only for Mod this forum wouldn't be in existence, so Mod created this forum and Mod saw that it was good.

You are a false prophet!
    Admin's created our universe and there are many, we are a polytheism forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Cabaal wrote: »
    and that is exactly?

From a very rough glance of the story I've seen nothing to suggest that the Doctors religious beliefs in anyway affected their legal responsibilities to treat the parent or in anyway discriminated against the patient.

As such the patient should have had no problem with the Doctor, I know I wouldn't have had any problem with them. I've been treated by a number of non christian doctors over the years. The only issue I ever had with one is when they gave me a prescription intended for another patient and when I pointed out their error they blamed the nurse claiming she gave me the wrong one (Doctor had written it infront of me and handed it to me).

No, no - I meant as a demonstration of the power of what people believe in, and how it can affect them when it comes to making sensible choices, like around medical treatment. I wasn't referring to the actual doctors at all.

So, the Tallaght woman (stupidly) refused treatment on religious grounds.

And the Miss Ireland woman (stupidly) put her recovery down to divine intervention.

Delusional in one case and ignorant / bigoted in the other. But both are related to the individuals' religious "beliefs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I always wondered why these people don't see it like this.

"I prayed to God and God helped me through the knowledge of the doctors and medical staff that healed me."

There you go - you believe that God helped them help you and other people can believe they helped you without the help of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This from a newspaper that just a week ago was reporting on a psychic having to apologise for telling someone not to get chemo...

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I always wondered why these people don't see it like this.

"I prayed to God and God helped me through the knowledge of the doctors and medical staff that healed me."

There you go - you believe that God helped them help you and other people can believe they helped you without the help of God.

To be fair I'd imagine many Christians do look at it this way, that their god gave the doctors the gifts to save them through research and skills. if you wanted to claim god saved you this is a far more logical way to approach it.

Of course then there are others who think gods will saved them because they prayed and it has zip to do with the doctors, these are very worrying people and a danger to others around them imho

ShooterSF wrote: »
    This from a newspaper that just a week ago was reporting on a psychic having to apologise for telling someone not to get chemo...
    Hadn't realized they were in the business of "news".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Although Rachelle has great admiration for the doctors at the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, she firmly believes all the care and treatment they gave her was not enough on its own to rid her of cancer.
    She believes it was "through the power of prayer and God's will that I am here today".
    Rachelle recovered from the disease to gain a teaching degree.
    Although I would tend to give 100% credit to the medical team for her cure, I'm quite sure her religion and the power of prayer will be capable of securing her gainful employment as a teacher. And so she will be paid by the state to pass on her wisdom to the next generation :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

recedite wrote: »
    Although I would tend to give 100% credit to the medical team for her cure, I'm quite sure her religion and the power of prayer will be capable of securing her gainful employment as a teacher. And so she will be paid by the state to pass on her wisdom to the next generation :o

Yes. She will be paid by the state, but she will know that it is actually god that is paying her.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

recedite wrote: »

And who was responsible for bestowing the gifts of ability and knowledge on the medical team? The Easter Bunny: no!, Santa: no!, the Loch Ness Monster: no!, God: no!, the Yeti: no!, Budda: no!, Batman: no!, Allah: no!, The Flying Spaghetti Monster: yes!!: Praise be his noodle appendages!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

And who was responsible for bestowing the gifts of ability and knowledge on the medical team? The Easter Bunny: no!, Santa: no!, the Loch Ness Monster: no!, God: no!, the Yeti: no!, Budda: no!, Batman: no!, Allah: no!, The Flying Spaghetti Monster: yes!!: Praise be his noodle appendages!!

Which flavour of noodles? Answer very very carefully...

Advertisement