Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time 'worked in' or annual leave?????

Options
  • 10-12-2015 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Please help answer this one if you can. Can an employer force an employee to 'work in' time to get a days holiday when that employee is in a position to use up an annual leave day. Basically, the employer had decided that the factory will close on what should be a usual work day. The employee is being forced to work over time (which should be payable at time and a half) in order to get this day day off The employee would much rather use up their annual leave day and get paid for the overtime worked instead. Can the employer legally do this?

Thanks guys, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Do they actually have enough holidays worked up and holidays left for the upcoming closed days (i.e. 20 days holiday a year does not mean 20 days holiday available in January)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Is it a permanent move to a 4 day working week?

Also what does your work contract say about work days and hours...i.e. Mon to Fri, 8:30am to 5pm lunch is half hour etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lynda2015

Hello all, yes they have enough annual leave days left to cover all days be taken for remaining year, even carrying some into next year.

Mr. Carter, - no this is just a once off by the employer.

Thanks guys

I'd say a once off is fine, provided enough notice is given, but if child care etc is effected...tell them, No

• Advertisement
Advertisement