Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disillusioned with job and unsure on career

Options
  • 10-12-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Probably going to be a long post so I'll say sorry now if I'm rambling.

I'm currently working in insurance last few months as a administrator and it's not for me at all. I find it very hard to get up to go in and I do get stress migraine's a lot in there.

I have no interest in insurance the only reason I took it was my girlfriend really pushed me to do it as I was previously working 2 work from home jobs which she didn't think was healthy for me as I was working lots of hours. I was working as a graphic designer and admin for a travel company and a customer service agent for a fast food delivery service. While I didn't love these jobs I was content with them.

Now I don't know what to do with my career I honestly don't know what I want to do. I have a diploma in digital media but I found it impossible to get a full time job only internships really available which I'm not eligible for and that I couldn't do anyway due to not living at home and having rent and bills to pay. I think I would love a job working with animals. Mainly dogs if possible but their is little to no jobs in it. Other than that I don't really know what I want to do. It has bothered me since I've left school as I just drift from course or job to job. It has me really feeling down lately. Should I just stick in insurance or try and find out what career I really want if it's even possible to do it.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Burkie7 wrote: »
    I was working as a graphic designer and admin for a travel company and a customer service agent for a fast food delivery service. While I didn't love these jobs I was content with them......I think I would love a job working with animals.

Being content is a great place to be, is there any possibility you could go back to doing something like you were doing?
    About the working with animals....well you are right, there just aren't that many jobs around. I'm a vet nurse and unfortunately I spend more time dealing with people than with animals, such is the way many vet clinics are set up here. I'm currently scouting around seeing if I can find more husbandry related roles such as on pet farms but I'm limited as to where I can look. I did see an ad for pet sitters wanted around the country if you have your own car, think it was on the FAS website.
    I wouldn't put anyone off trying to have a career working with animals but I would say that you'd probably have as much satisfaction if you just volunteered somewhere and weren't depending on it to pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Burkie7 wrote: »
    ....I'm currently working in insurance last few months as a administrator and it's not for me at all. ...

....I was working as a graphic designer and admin for a travel company and a customer service agent for a fast food delivery service. While I didn't love these jobs I was content with them......

I don't know what to do with my career....I have a diploma in digital media but I found it impossible to get a full time job....

..I think I would love a job working with animals. Mainly dogs if possible but their is little to no jobs in it. ....

You'll never know if you like something, or can make money at it unless you try. That said I think you realize you might have to subsidies one with the other at least in the short term. I can't see how you can still have free time while doing that though. How seriously have you looked into the other career with animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭pgj2015

. Mainly dogs if possible but their is little to no jobs in it.

Thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

Hi op, if there is little to no jobs working with dogs, why not create one, could you look at setting up a dog kennels, or dog grooming service, do a couple of courses in grooming and running a kennels and go work for yourself. This is what I would be doing if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So just thought I'd give a update. I have stuck it out till now as I had an exam to do in insurance as you have to when you work in it and it was already paid for and I tried to give it another chance but I'm still finding it's just not for me at all. I have a part time job lined up as a social media manager that starts next month and my friend is a manager in meteor and can get me a job on the phones Monday to Friday on landline so I'm considering doing both of them. I tried to find some part time animal courses but couldn't so I'm going to just keep volunteering at clondalkin animal aid and I have signed up to house my dog to be a pet sitter and walker. I'm hoping to be out of insurance in the next 2 weeks. It just wasn't for me but I gave it a go anyway and I can take plenty away from it.

Advertisement