Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned B&B outside Clonmel on the way to Carrick on Suir

Options
  • 10-12-2015 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

I was reminded of this place the other day when in conversation with a man who was travelling between Cork, Clonmel and Carrick on Suir (he called it Carrick on Shannon in the conversation but I know he means on Suir). He spoke of this B&B on the side of the road, lefthand side as you come out of Clonmel on the way to Carrick on Suir. I passed that way a few times and know the one but would like to know more of the history of it like what's its name (it is so long ago I forget, It may be BrookLodge or something like this?) but I do recall it has a name and has B&B written up on it as well. I would also like to know when it was built and when it was last used (it seems to be unoccupied for 20 years as it is in very poor condition).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I was reminded of this place the other day when in conversation with a man who was travelling between Cork, Clonmel and Carrick on Suir (he called it Carrick on Shannon in the conversation but I know he means on Suir). He spoke of this B&B on the side of the road, lefthand side as you come out of Clonmel on the way to Carrick on Suir. I passed that way a few times and know the one but would like to know more of the history of it like what's its name (it is so long ago I forget, It may be BrookLodge or something like this?) but I do recall it has a name and has B&B written up on it as well. I would also like to know when it was built and when it was last used (it seems to be unoccupied for 20 years as it is in very poor condition).

Seemingly this property was bought by a developer after it was damaged by floods. The River Anner flows into the Suir just west of this property as does a tributary of the Anner even closer to the house itself.

We would a climate change that would allow us to grow bananas before it would be worth restoring this property.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

If it's the red brick one below Bulmers it was a family home (hanrahan family) until it flooded in 1998 when it was abandoned, I don't ever remember it being a b&b. I have heard various stories about why it was never used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

solerina wrote: »
    If it's the red brick one below Bulmers it was a family home (hanrahan family) until it flooded in 1998 when it was abandoned, I don't ever remember it being a b&b. I have heard various stories about why it was never used again.

I've always wondered why it was the left the way it was. What are the various stories you've heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I've always wondered why it was the left the way it was. What are the various stories you've heard?
    a few very far fetched ones which I wont mention.....among the tamer theories was one which suggested the brick was diverted from another large red brick building in town (wont say which one). There was supposed to be some kind of investigation. Also claims about insurance scams....all just rumours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

There's only one reason why that house is empty and that's because of continuous flooding back in the 90s made it impossible to live in it anymore.I did hear later that the owners sued the council for giving them planning permission on a known flood plain and the council ended up having to buy the house off them.That may or not be gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If you are seriously interested, try enquiring in Kilsheelan, some people there may be able to help you!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It used to be Beechwood House B&B for about 6 months until it flooded again. The sign is still up outside it.

Some developer tried to raise the level of the land, which you can see on Google Streetview but was forced to take it all out again by the council because he had no planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Flooding was the issue. There is a boarded up house next to it as well, possibly for the same reason.

I have a dim memory of it operating briefly as a restaurant as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The other house beside it was being used now and again as a holiday home until it was boarded up last year.

Advertisement