Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at the Mercy School

Options
  • 10-12-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭

I have a general query really, the situation at the Mercy secondary school at pick up and drop off times is a disgrace, they actually put in bollards to stop people parking on the footpath and leaving no space for buggies etc so now people have just decided to park in the road and effectively turn the place into a one lane road.

Who do you contact to complain, is it the Gardai or the council? The school can't actually do anything really since it isn't on school property technically, its a public road.

Dangerous for kids, motorists and residents alike

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It is the same outside every school. A blind eye is turned it appears.

I have picked up from St. John of God's for years and it is unreal, I normally try to park on St Alphonsus Road.

I have actually seen a woman drive forward onto the pavement end-on between two cars with the rear of the car sticking out and blocking the road there. Triple parallel parking, with all windows down and everyone having a good old chat, is common at the junction with Passage Road blocking the whole junction.

The Gardai will do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They park in the cycle lane by Del La Salle completely blocking it too, apparently if you have kids you can park where you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The Gardai will do nothing.

they park and fill and over fill the spots outside the Garda station and not even then is anything done.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Its a nightmare trying to get to the hyper on foot as sometimes you have to pass thru the garage forecourt, I've seen a young lad in a wheelchair trying to get to the shops but could only get as far as the entrance to the convent because of cars parked on the path.

Its a damn disgrace but hey! this is the new world order:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I've a daughter in the mercy.She finishes at 2:30 everyday which means that i have to be outside the school at 2pm at the very latest if i want to have any chance of getting a spot.Any later and you'd have to try and get a place in the Texaco garage which is more like the bumper cars in tramore!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I've a daughter in the mercy.She finishes at 2:30 everyday which means that i have to be outside the school at 2pm at the very latest if i want to have any chance of getting a spot.Any later and you'd have to try and get a place in the Texaco garage which is more like the bumper cars in tramore!!!!!

The Texaco garage isn't there for parents to park their car and wait for their kids. It's a petrol station. Think they were clamping cars there anyway a while back when it came up in the media.

There's a big parking area in supervalu (although the ticket inspector can be around some times), and then you can use any of the streets near the school. Surely parking on the yellow road or Morrison's Road is ok on areas where there isn't double yellow lines, and then the kids can make their way to the car then in an area that you know you can park, and the kid will know that you'll be there then on a daily basis.

I live near a school, and it's amazing the number of parents which would park outside the house in front of my driveway, which is also a double yellow line. They then leave their car there and go off and talk to other parents for bout half an hour.

As somebody said earlier, rules of the road and where to park is completely thrown out the window when parents literally want to pick their child up outside the front door of a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thats it, there are plenty of places to safely park within a 5 minute walking distance, what is the big deal with this! I can understand when its lashing raining and that you want to get as close to the school as possible but other then that I don't understand why people are so reluctant to leave the car a little further away and walk.

Sets a better example for the kids anyway from an excercise point of view

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Genuine Question are lollipop ladies trained in road safety? Or are they just handed a yellow bib and sign and off you go..
    The traffic chaos they cause outside the Ursaline every morning is annoying,the lady never looks at the flow before she walks out and blocks up traffic to leave a few cross..
    If she watched the flow she could wait a minute and cause less havoc and bring more across in one go.
    Obviously they are doing a thankless job voluntary but a road safety course wouldn't go astray on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

parents would literally drive to the doors with their little darlings if they could, laziness is what its called, as one of the posters said they should park couple mins walk away and get some exercise for themselves god knows some of them could do with losing few pounds that goes for the parents as well

Have there been any accidents there due to the school rush. Would be amazed if there is not at least 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Funfair wrote: »
    Genuine Question are lollipop ladies trained in road safety? Or are they just handed a yellow bib and sign and off you go..
    The traffic chaos they cause outside the Ursaline every morning is annoying,the lady never looks at the flow before she walks out and blocks up traffic to leave a few cross..
    If she watched the flow she could wait a minute and cause less havoc and bring more across in one go.
    Obviously they are doing a thankless job voluntary but a road safety course wouldn't go astray on them.

I don't think its voluntary..... fairly sure they are paid by the council.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Funfair wrote: »

Have the agree with the above the lollipop lady at the Ursuline is a disgrace,
    She never takes into account the traffic light just a few feet away, the lights would switch to green then she would stop the flow of traffic to leave 2/3 kids cross, instead of waiting for the red light and then leave kids cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

iseegirls wrote: »
    The Texaco garage isn't there for parents to park their car and wait for their kids. It's a petrol station. Think they were clamping cars there anyway a while back when it came up in the media.

There's a big parking area in supervalu (although the ticket inspector can be around some times), and then you can use any of the streets near the school. Surely parking on the yellow road or Morrison's Road is ok on areas where there isn't double yellow lines, and then the kids can make their way to the car then in an area that you know you can park, and the kid will know that you'll be there then on a daily basis.

I live near a school, and it's amazing the number of parents which would park outside the house in front of my driveway, which is also a double yellow line. They then leave their car there and go off and talk to other parents for bout half an hour.

As somebody said earlier, rules of the road and where to park is completely thrown out the window when parents literally want to pick their child up outside the front door of a school.

I think in the end the guy that owns the garage just gave up trying to clamp cars that were just using it as a car park.I saw a few heated exchanges between him and car owners some years back when he gave a sh1te.

I think in the end the guy that owns the garage just gave up trying to clamp cars that were just using it as a car park.I saw a few heated exchanges between him and car owners some years back when he gave a sh1te.

He did try his best, put up clamping signs, nothing will change until someone gets injured. Its an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

must be very annoying as a business owner though and indeed for homeowners that live in the vicinity of schools. im sure this is a countrywide problem. i think it highlights problems such as urban planning or lack of, poor public transport networks, change in expectations of both parents and kids, etc etc etc. school runs are mental. have to do them from time to time. what is wrong with kids making their own way to and from school? we all done it and most of us are fine cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what is wrong with kids making their own way to and from school? we all done it and most of us are fine cause of it.

Some people believe that there are paedophiles hiding behind every corner these days which of course is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I have a general query really, the situation at the Mercy secondary school at pick up and drop off times is a disgrace, they actually put in bollards to stop people parking on the footpath and leaving no space for buggies etc so now people have just decided to park in the road and effectively turn the place into a one lane road.

Who do you contact to complain, is it the Gardai or the council? The school can't actually do anything really since it isn't on school property technically, its a public road.

Dangerous for kids, motorists and residents alike

And then there is that old bat across from the gym gates who cant reverse her car out of her driveway unless there is 20 yards of empty road either side of her house, then her big ol fella come out hurling abuse at people. :eek:
    God help youse all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

lertsnim wrote: »
    Some people believe that there are paedophiles hiding behind every corner these days which of course is absolute nonsense.

Correct, some of them were hiding inside the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Agree with the lollypop lady at St. Ursulas, my daughter goes to that primary and lately she is taking the piss, so much so that I think I will have to say something about her. The traffic is crazy and it's because she will literally just stop it whenever she feels like it. Monday was especially bad when it was raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Isn't that just women for you!

They can't do anything right on the road whether driving on it or policing it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And then there is that old bat across from the gym gates who cant reverse her car out of her driveway unless there is 20 yards of empty road either side of her house, then her big ol fella come out hurling abuse at people. :eek:
    God help youse all

Not familiar with her, thankfully! Or whatever gym you speak of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Isn't that just women for you!

They can't do anything right on the road whether driving on it or policing it! :D

Stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

michellie wrote: »
    Stop it.

in his defense the majority of the issues at the mercy are related to women drivers....

Advertisement