Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with Homebond.ie (cracks in a floor) - please advise

Options
  • 10-12-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I purchased a new house which is 2-year old now. The house is developing straight cracks in the ground floor - 30cm parallel to the foundation. These cracks emerge from both corner and are developing in a pattern that are about to join into one straight line across the house. I have contacted Homebond and made a claim.

While they have confirmed by email they will be sending a structural engineer, when arranging the inspection over the phone with them I was told they won't be sending a structural engineer but a technical adviser (qualified Certified Insurance Practitioner) who is not a structural engineer.

Would anyone have an experience on the procedure?

As I don't have experience (and being very concerned about those cracks) I would like to get some advice on how to go about it and what to look out for to make sure the issue is not underestimated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

radooo wrote: »
    I purchased a new house which is 2-year old now. The house is developing straight cracks in the ground floor - 30cm parallel to the foundation. These cracks emerge from both corner and are developing in a pattern that are about to join into one straight line across the house. I have contacted Homebond and made a claim.

While they have confirmed by email they will be sending a structural engineer, when arranging the inspection over the phone with them I was told they won't be sending a structural engineer but a technical adviser (qualified Certified Insurance Practitioner) who is not a structural engineer.

Would anyone have an experience on the procedure?

As I don't have experience (and being very concerned about those cracks) I would like to get some advice on how to go about it and what to look out for to make sure the issue is not underestimated.

Thank you.

you have made a claim, we cannot offer legal advice
    You have auggested that your home is structurally defective, we can't offer structural advice

My advice: seek legal advice from a solicitor and structural advice from a PI structural engineer.

Best of luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement