Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Regaining one's Bottle

• 10-12-2015 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, Driven bikes since I was 18, Kmx 125, CB1, Gsxr 750, yammy FZS 600, blah blah..

Anyway 8 years off a bike now, and I'm 39, Just bought a yammy FZ6 07.
    Right, gear on, lid on gloves on.. Feckin drove it like a granny!! :eek:

They say, "You never forget how to ride a bike" true, no probs with the controls an gears.. but me bottle is empty!
    Maybe go on a course?

Even though its a Fz6 its pretty pokey. Its like starting all over again. I know on the first day you ain't gonna be throwing it around, but I can see it would be a while indeed before I will be..
    Any good days course to suggest?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

IMO a course will only teach you how to ride a bike...you know that already..take your time, go for a few short spins , build up the confidence again...its only been 8 years...not like 20 years or more..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Go out with a decent instructor and they'll have you up to speed in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Way to be, iirc guys coming back to bikes are the highest represented in the accident and injury stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

A long handy spin in good weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IMO a course will only teach you how to ride a bike...you know that already..take your time, go for a few short spins , build up the confidence again...its only been 8 years...not like 20 years or more..:o

This ^^.

Whats an instructor going to show you which you don't already know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

There is the small matter that the current cold and wet and even windy conditions are not the time to be riding with confidence (confidence that the tyres will stick that is).

I'm eagerly awaiting for that day in February or March when there is the sudden realisation that it will stick and you can start throwing the bike around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

ah man, ye haven't lost yer bottle, it takes me a month or two to throw a new bike around, and I've been riding 25 years! I only feel comfortable throwing the tdm 850 around the place in the past few months and I've probably owned the bike for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Slowly, slowiy, catchy monkey...

Welcome back to the gut-wrenching, wallet emptying, grin inducing...fuck it, I'm having a ball, world of sickles...

Like the yearning for that lost love that still haunts your fading memories, as you drift into a restless sleep...they come back to haunt you...

The addiction that is, the smell & primal scream of a 2 stroke, the roar of an inline 4, the erection inducing torque of a thumping V-Twin (no Gard, I'm not that happy to see you, my bike vibrates a lot...as you can clearly see, you big hunk of authoritative uniform you :eek: :D)

Just an old timers tip for ye there, should you find yourself pulled for a minor infraction...no charge ;)

But seriously...go at the pace you're comfortable with until your confidence level builds, you're going to get where you're going eventually, what's the hurry?

Be safe & remember...keep the shiny side up & the rubber down ;)

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Way to be, iirc guys coming back to bikes are the highest represented in the accident and injury stats.

Way to make the lad feel better..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I would imagine that was the digest version of their reply. Probably should have elaborated to suggest that training will help gain the confidence back.

The OP is going about it the right way and considering their options. Whereas some numptys decide to jump on a bike cos the owned one donkeys years ago and still have it. Fair play to Steve for getting back into bikes and going about it the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Advanced training - with a professional instructor or with RoSPA Ireland
    RoSPA also offers social group rides which is very instructive too, in the sense of watching experienced riders.

Also I think good technique at low speeds gives a great boost to confidence. Get out in a car park and practise your figures of eight - but first check the right technique so as not to reinforce any bad habits. You'll find a thread here somewhere. Which part of the country do you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Well if he was a learner he would be approaching things with that exact same trepidation and taking things slowly without being overly concerned about not yet being able to fly around the place. Confidence comes with experience and when there hasn't' been experience in quite some time, over-confidence can result in mistakes.

What I was getting at, is don't be ashamed to be taking it slow until you are comfortable, speed and bottle will come in time. By all means go on a course but there's no replacement to time in the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Been down that road before you so I know what you're going through. As most people have said, take your time and go at the pace that feels comfortable to you. Many instructors offer advanced riding courses, where they'll take you out and work on your road position, cornering techniques, braking, reading the road etc. As has already been mentioned, Rospa or Iart as they are known here, do monthly ride outs and have advanced riders who are willing to work with you for the price of a tank of fuel.
    Above all, relax and enjoy the experience, it will soon be spring and that's when the fun can really begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not a great time of year to be starting back on the bike with the weather and that but all I can suggest is mostly what others have said. Take it easy and at your own pace, learn the lines for corners properly and get used to the gears and the brakes so you can stop when you need to.

Dont worry about being fast that will come with confidence and relaxing on the bike leave off commuting on bike if at all possible until you are nice and relaxed, go for nice long spins on scenic routes that will get you back in love with the bike. The FZ6 is a beaut to start back on very good handling and comfortable and can move when its wants to.

Lads off here are out every week why not join up for a couple of hours and learn off fellow riders taking it easy and going nice roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

From my own experience im in a constant state of needed to build up confidence because i constantly go through periods of not using my bike.

Just when im getting comfortable and confident on a bike i either dont use it at all for up to 2 months or i just change bike which screws up everything for me.

Really the only way is to get out on the bike as much as possible.
    The spins with the lads here do be great and there is absolutely never any pressure to go mental fast with the hooligans! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Advanced training - with a professional instructor or with RoSPA Ireland
    RoSPA also offers social group rides which is very instructive too, in the sense of watching experienced riders.

Also I think good technique at low speeds gives a great boost to confidence. Get out in a car park and practise your figures of eight - but first check the right technique so as not to reinforce any bad habits. You'll find a thread here somewhere. Which part of the country do you live?

Live in Bray mate, plenty of car parks!, Cheers for the advice folks, I had even forgotten to fecking push the bars in the opposite direction to steer! came back to after a while though :eek:
    Far too long behind the wheel of a car!

All good though, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Steve012 wrote: »
    Live in Bray mate, plenty of car parks!, Cheers for the advice folks, I had even forgotten to fecking push the bars in the opposite direction to steer! came back to after a while though :eek:
    Far too long behind the wheel of a car!

All good though, :)

They've paved paradise, eh? Find a friendly student and borrow his traffic cone collection and you'll be set. Looking forward to the peg-scraping videos.

Plenty of RoSPA action up your way, not so much down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I would suggest doing a couple of trackdays when they start up again in the spring, get an instructor to follow you around for a few sessions to give you pointers, don't think you'll be too slow to do a track day as there are always beginners there, just tip around at your own pace. Great way to explore the limits of your tyres, suspension, brakes etc. in relative safety. I have been riding bikes over 20 years and only started doing trackdays 2 years ago, I've learnt more in those 2 years than the previous 20

Trackdays are great fun but imo you need to be fairly confident to start with..It can be butt-clenching enough on your first one without the worry of other riders around you...
    I too only started doing trackdays lately, but i've been riding since the 80's and i still remember my first TD...too fast, late braking, overconfident...repair bill...:o

Trackdays are not for everyone, and doing them on your own bike is not ideal either. Especially if its the only bike you have....I have only done one trackday and it was on a rented bike which was much better as I sure as hell dont want to bin my own bike.

But it is a worthwhile thing to do, I did enjoy the session I had and plan to do more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

If you're planning on going down the trackday route , have a look at the training day , there's classroom theory , slow speed control in the paddock , braking drills and on track for the afternoon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Your thread title is a bit dramatic for your problem. You haven't lost your bottle, I'd expect this to be normal if you haven't ridden in years. It will all come back with practice. Also the weather is **** which doesn't help. Group spins will defo help, I'm sure anyone on here who's been on one will agree.

zubair wrote: »
    Group spins will defo help, I'm sure anyone on here who's been on one will agree.

Group spins are fine BUT you need to get out yourself and build up the confidence...a lad that spins with us was off the bike for years, came out with us after only two weeks back in the saddle and binned it ..Theres too much pressure to keep up/not look like a tosser...even though no one would think this....
    Best out on your own or another mate..
    Dont feel like you need to impress anyone...
    If its a nice sunday morning you'll find a few heads up in laragh, its a nice spin up from Bray....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

OP, I am a returning biker since about 3 years. I would recommend instruction. Best advice I think is to ride well within your limits, we were all heroes in our twenties and were probably using techniques that we weren't even aware of. There is no doubt returning biker is a higher risk, especially if "you used to be quick enough"

I crashed this year and the accident was so stupid it was beyond funny, my fault.. over exuberance played a big part! Take care, the speed will come with confidence but the trick is to make sure the confidence is well placed :-)

Group spins are fine BUT you need to get out yourself and build up the confidence...a lad that spins with us was off the bike for years, came out with us after only two weeks back in the saddle and binned it ..Theres too much pressure to keep up/not look like a tosser...even though no one would think this....
    Best out on your own or another mate..
    Dont feel like you need to impress anyone...
    If its a nice sunday morning you'll find a few heads up in laragh, its a nice spin up from Bray....

In fairness that's all on him if he thinks and acts like that, clearly he didn't know his limits and would rather look good and then bin it then look average and go home with the bike intact. Not having a pop at you or the lad but if guys are not mature enough to understand the dangers and consequences of biking then its gonna end bad. We have all been there and IMHO you never stop learning.

I know a chap on bikes over 20 yrs and he used to regularly say to me he still learning every time he gets on the bike......stay safe guys. Mindset on a bike is just as important as skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness that's all on him if he thinks and acts like that, clearly he didn't know his limits and would rather look good and then bin it then look average and go home with the bike intact. Not having a pop at you or the lad but if guys are not mature enough to understand the dangers and consequences of biking then its gonna end bad. We have all been there and IMHO you never stop learning.

I know a chap on bikes over 20 yrs and he used to regularly say to me he still learning every time he gets on the bike......stay safe guys. Mindset on a bike is just as important as skill.

I approve this post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I approve this post :)

This times 100

Haven't had the time or mindset for the last few months for the bike with 102 things going on, if I can't switch off when riding and concentrate I don't go out

Next year will be a better year for sure

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Nothing to do with looking good..we all make mistakes, my point being if you go with a group you WILL try to keep up..its natural...indifference comes with experience..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Nothing to do with looking good..we all make mistakes, my point being if you go with a group you WILL try to keep up..its natural...indifference comes with experience..;)

Maybe its natural for the thought to pop into your mind of trying to keep up even though its way too fast for someone's comfort zone. But its very easy to just ignore that thought and dont drive like a dope.

I've frequently been way behind the lads when out on spins. Dont think i have ever pinned the throttle to keep up with the fron runners. I know there is no need to because im confident i will catch up because their either pull in of just constantly go around a roundabout till they see me.

Just dont break down... like your chain snapping. Then ya will be ditched :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    Maybe its natural for the thought to pop into your mind of trying to keep up even though its way too fast for someone's comfort zone. But its very easy to just ignore that thought and dont drive like a dope.

I've frequently been way behind the lads when out on spins. Dont think i have ever pinned the throttle to keep up with the fron runners. I know there is no need to because im confident i will catch up because their either pull in of just constantly go around a roundabout till they see me.

Just dont break down... like your chain snapping. Then ya will be ditched :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Exactly my point..

Advertisement