Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Regaining one's Bottle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

No need to highlight some parts to twist that im saying.

I said im confident the lads wont just vanish and i will catch up to them.
    What you highlight makes it looks like im saying im confident on my bike, which actually isnt the case. I'm fairly ****e on my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not having a go at you mate, you're clearly confident and know your own ability, enough to know not to drive like a accident waiting to happen....unlike the OP who will need to learn over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

One of the best things you can do to gain confidence and learn more is hop on the back of a bike and go for a spin, it will make you aware of lean angles and what you can achieve with two up can easily be done solo riding. Especially if the rider has alot of experience.

I remember vividly worrying about wet grip starting out, constantly thinking that the tyre would slide out from under me. Then I hoped on the back of another mates bike who is riding along time and he gave it beans in the wet to show me that there is still alot of grip in the wet. Opened my eyes up to alot that lesson......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I remember vividly worrying about wet grip starting out, constantly thinking that the tyre would slide out from under me.

Thats actually my constant "in the back of my mind" worry even when its bone dry out. Its why i cant countersteer and take corners properly. A mental block kicks in and makes me hit the breaks and upright the bike which obviously is mental. Which is why i corner an awful lot slower than anyone else i know on a bike. Even with 7 years on bikes its not something ive ever managed to break though. My cornering speed just adjusted down over the years to compensate rather than my skill level increasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

goodlad wrote: »
    Thats actually my constant "in the back of my mind" worry even when its bone dry out. Its why i cant countersteer and take corners properly. A mental block kicks in and makes me hit the breaks and upright the bike which obviously is mental. Which is why i corner an awful lot slower than anyone else i know on a bike. Even with 7 years on bikes its not something ive ever managed to break though. My cornering speed just adjusted down over the years to compensate rather than my skill level increasing.

I only have that because anakees are ****e :P Pilot Sports in the new year for me.

• Advertisement

I'm no Marc Marquez but i get by...my ITBOMM moments are "whats around the bend"....:eek:
    If any of you travel the Kilmac to Laragh road you'll know this story...more than once i've come around a bend to find a bus/car stopped behind a herd of lycrists...and i think "what if"....:eek:

Gary a trackday would be a very good idea, especially on a different bike that way the fear of binning it is gone. Was for me anyway lol.

Deffo gomna try get in a few next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Gary a trackday would be a very good idea, especially on a different bike that way the fear of binning it is gone. Was for me anyway lol.

Deffo gomna try get in a few next year....

This 100%, did a good few trackdays in the uk before I moved here, makes you realise the bike is much more capable than you will ever be!

A few of us should organise a trackday here on rented bikes!

Or let us use yours....whats the worst that could happen.....

Or let us use yours....whats the worst that could happen.....

Haha you'd ride it better than me at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

If you can ride a bike on cold wet slippy roads like what we have not then you can ride a bike any time of the year.
    Just because its wintertime,dont let that stop you from getting out there and gaining valuable experience.
    A few hours with an IBT instructor isnt a bad idea,as you will gain riding and road position experience and also safety riding tips that you lost from years of ring rustiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

The_Chap wrote: »
    This 100%, did a good few trackdays in the uk before I moved here, makes you realise the bike is much more capable than you will ever be!

A few of us should organise a trackday here on rented bikes!

Cotters trackdays are good.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I had a "hairy" moment about a week ago. Cold but dry. Accelerated away from a stop only for the back wheel to lose all traction for a second and begin moving all over the place. Lasted only a fraction of a second but gave me a bit of a jolt. Apparently I went over a sewage drain but ever since I've been more careful in the wet... Even though it was bone dry. Amazing what can give your confidence a hit.

BKtje wrote: »
    I had a "hairy" moment about a week ago. Cold but dry. Accelerated away from a stop only for the back wheel to lose all traction for a second and begin moving all over the place. Lasted only a fraction of a second but gave me a bit of a jolt. Apparently I went over a sewage drain but ever since I've been more careful in the wet... Even though it was bone dry. Amazing what can give your confidence a hit.

Cold tyres can be as dangerous as wet ground in some cases...guy passed me on a spin, gassing it he hit a damp patch the size of a dinner plate and left a darkie the lenght of a bus on the road...looked epic tho..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Avoid manhole covers and painted road markings in the wet . can be as slippy as oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ah man, ye haven't lost yer bottle, it takes me a month or two to throw a new bike around, and I've been riding 25 years! I only feel comfortable throwing the tdm 850 around the place in the past few months and I've probably owned the bike for 2 years.
    tdm are so easy to throw around in the wet i'm faster on my 92 tdm than my ktm sm cos its soo easy and forgiving

Well I've just been handed a voucher for mondello by her good self for my birthday :-)

Anyone planning a trackday session this year?

The_Chap wrote: »
    Well I've just been handed a voucher for mondello by her good self for my birthday :-)

Anyone planning a trackday session this year?

Might do but on a rental.....

Might do but on a rental.....

What is the cost like for rentals

Advertisement