Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do RTE bend over backwards to accommodate Ryan Tubridy ?

• 10-12-2015 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

He was a ratings disaster on 2fm so they moved his show to an 8.45am start so that he could get artificial ratings increase, then they removed John Murray for no good reason other than to give Tubridy a cosy job and to add insult to injury, they issue a press release praising Tubridy for high ratings on the R1 9am show even tho those Jnlr figiures didn't even cover the period when Tubridy was on the slot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrg123

Can't stand him. His interviews are the definition of cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You mean Ryan Partridge,,,,aaa haaaaa...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Some illuminati shid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

You don't really have the full story.

He was initially moved from Radio 1 to 2fm which created a cosy job for John Murray.

Most of the Tubs shuffling has been due to "station reorganising" and people going and dying from a drugs overdose.

They moved his show to 8:45am because of the initial disaster and ratings slump from Breakfast Republic. Breakfast gave an artificial ratings decrease in the lead up to his show.

Those listeners were free to change station when Ryan came on. He still had to hold them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

It seems that once the initial decision is made by a manager that person X is going to be given a top slot, the RTE organisation sticks with him/her in that position come hell or high water, year in year out, regardless of anything - least of all ratings (a sort of: job for life culture).

I am fortunate in that I can listen to 95% of TV & radio presenters (to an extent) but I have only one rule as regards Tubridy:-

“whatever show, gig or event he is presenting – I avoid at all costs”.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He seems a decent enough fella, I used to hate watching and listening to him but I've mellowed over the last few years. He's no better or worse than a lot of the talent on radio, and how he gets so much money and top jobs I don't quite understand.

Maybe the housewives favourite type of character? Middle of the road, inoffensive?

Remember that the BBC obviously rate him too since they give him work from time to time.

But how he ever pulled that Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin I'll never understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep but like grainne seoige pushed down our throats too. Who knows why they do such things maybe fear that if such people leave their replacement would be worse???? Pretty pessimistic way to look at things if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Tim Reilly wrote: »
    He was a ratings disaster on 2fm so they moved his show to an 8.45am start so that he could get artificial ratings increase, then they removed John Murray for no good reason other than to give Tubridy a cosy job and to add insult to injury, they issue a press release praising Tubridy for high ratings on the R1 9am show even tho those Jnlr figiures didn't even cover the period when Tubridy was on the slot.
    Add your reply here.
    Is it not because his grandfather was one of the founders of RT ?

I know that that's not enough to enable you to be able to present a show but, as I understand it, Tubridy was groomed to be the top presenter from a young age and was on a very handsome cash retainer all through Leaving Cert and college. His path was mapped out from an early age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

He was a ratings disaster on 2fm so they moved his show to an 8.45am start so that he could get artificial ratings increase,

I think the move to 2FM at the start was the big mistake. A personality driven program taken over by the man who gives nothing of his own personality to the show. Gerry Ryan would tell you the discussion about sex he had with his kids at the breakfast table, whereas Ryan still refers to his daughters as "some little people I watched a DVD with". Fine if he wants to be like that but not if he's taking over Gerry Ryan's show.

And you know, since D'Arcy has started with RTE I have had a new appreciation for Tubridy. Tubridy is upbeat, positive and can use the equipment seamlessly. Compared to D'Arcy preaching and signing, stumbling over the controls every single day.

Oh and one more side note. Moving John Murray to sport is just a joke. The guy was okay on the business show and at the serious stuff, but it is pretty obvious that he has zero interest in sport. He referred to Galwegians as GLaswegians about three times the other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's family - Andrews connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I think the move to 2FM at the start was the big mistake. A personality driven program taken over by the man who gives nothing of his own personality to the show. Gerry Ryan would tell you the discussion about sex he had with his kids at the breakfast table, whereas Ryan still refers to his daughters as "some little people I watched a DVD with". Fine if he wants to be like that but not if he's taking over Gerry Ryan's show.

And you know, since D'Arcy has started with RTE I have had a new appreciation for Tubridy. Tubridy is upbeat, positive and can use the equipment seamlessly. Compared to D'Arcy preaching and signing, stumbling over the controls every single day.

I agree with nearly everything you said. In a sign that I'm getting old, however, I think Ray's found his spiritual home on RTE Radio 1 keeping sanctimonious middle-aged people like me entertained.

One thing that bugs me about Tubridy, though: there's too much cross-pollination from his radio show to the Late Late. He makes a point of referring to something that happened or somebody who is about to appear on the LLS. Or during the papers slot he'll take an interest in a news story, something particularly harrowing, speak movingly about it... Come the weekend, the people at the centre of that news story are guests on the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Oh and one more side note. Moving John Murray to sport is just a joke. The guy was okay on the business show and at the serious stuff, but it is pretty obvious that he has zero interest in sport. He referred to Galwegians as GLaswegians about three times the other week.
    Is John Murray now on Sport ? I didnt realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

And RTE are allowing him to pursue his jaunts over to london to work with the BBC when he has an extremely high paying job here that he should be giving full attention to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

jimd2 wrote: »
    And RTE are allowing him to pursue his jaunts over to london to work with the BBC when he has an extremely high paying job here that he should be giving full attention to.
    Tubbers has RTE over a barrel. There's no way anybody else would do that job for a measly 500k a year so they have to give in to him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

Ryan is good- get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

jimceart wrote: »
    Ryan is good- get over it.

You mean uncle Ryan I'm sure !!:)

When did he last go to London?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Tubbers has RTE over a barrel. There's no way anybody else would do that job for a measly 500k a year so they have to give in to him:)

I agree the money is ridiculous, but I like him. He didn't suit Radio2, not since he used do the Breakfast programme. He's much more suited to Radio1. I never watch LLS so can't comment on that, other than to say that friends who have been in the audience commented about how good and friendly he was. He went out of his way to meet people before, during and after the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

I agree the money is really ridiculous. Remember it comes from us the tax payer.

• Advertisement

Is John Murray now on Sport ? I didnt realise that.

I dont think he's realized it himself yet.

So when he's off from RTE at the weekend he should should be giving the job his full attention the other 50 weekends a year he's not at the BBC.

I'm sure he can cope with the odd bit of weekend work without it affecting his day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

When did he last go to London?

Is he not standing in for Terry Wogan on Sunday's at the minute, while Terry is recuperating.?

....Gerry Ryan would tell you the discussion about sex he had with his kids at the breakfast table....

Pretty sure this never happened, no matter how "out of it" he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tim,please get a grip,deep breath,sit down.

Good.

Now nothing personal but John Murray was a complete unmitigated disaster in the slot 0900-1000, cringeworthy,embarrassing,total rubbish.
    Slow moving pedantic stuff delivered with a lack of fizz like a pint of Heineken left over after a week.

Tubridy should never have been let near 2fm- no chance of success there.

He is eminently suited to R1 0900-1000, enthusiastic, bright, lively, moves the show on at a nice pace, streets ahead of poor John.

Nothing personal against John, but now in Sport, but for me the jury is out, needs to move things along at a faster pace and think on his feet.

Hope he does well there, but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is he not standing in for Terry Wogan on Sunday's at the minute, while Terry is recuperating.?

Yes he is.
    I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago and he popped up on the car radio.
    I actually thought he did a good job for the hour or so I was listening, what more would you ask of a radio presenter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tim,please get a grip,deep breath,sit down.

Good.

Now nothing personal but John Murray was a complete unmitigated disaster in the slot 0900-1000, cringeworthy,embarrassing,total rubbish.
    Slow moving pedantic stuff delivered with a lack of fizz like a pint of Heineken left over after a week.

Tubridy should never have been let near 2fm- no chance of success there.

He is eminently suited to R1 0900-1000, enthusiastic, bright, lively, moves the show on at a nice pace, streets ahead of poor John.

Nothing personal against John, but now in Sport, but for me the jury is out, needs to move things along at a faster pace and think on his feet.

Hope he does well there, but I have my doubts.

Brendan, I agree 100% about J Murray. However I don't agree about Tubbs. I tuned in three times in the last week and I heard a woman who had cancer, a woman whos child had died from cancer and a woman whos child was dying from cancer. A bit of depression and suicide thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

More Music wrote: »
    Pretty sure this never happened, no matter how "out of it" he was.

I think he meant the discussion he had with his kids about sex, not the discussion he had about sex with his kids.

Hope that clarifies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    Brendan, I agree 100% about J Murray. However I don't agree about Tubbs. I tuned in three times in the last week and I heard a woman who had cancer, a woman whos child had died from cancer and a woman whos child was dying from cancer. A bit of depression and suicide thrown in for good measure.

Joe, this is not a circle jerk but I agree with you too.

Nothing but death, cancer, suicide, and all the trimmings on RTE 1 recently.

They need to give all this stuff a bit of a rest for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Agreed Brenner ..but Turbidy is miles ahead of Murray.....Murray was struggling to maintain interest ..but Turbs seems to ENJOY his conversations ..that is the differ !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I don't understand why anyone listens to the radio. I had to endure it recently and nearly lost my mind. Some loser was talking about how there are less biscuits in a packet than 10 years ago. On and one he went... It's torture having to listen to some idiot rabbit on about nonsense. Tubridy is a real crowd pleaser, very fake.

I hear you.

One particular day this week, Tuesday? Tubbs, SOR, Duffy and D'Arcy all had interviews with people who had lost "loved ones".

As you say, "Give it a rest"

At the end of the day, is it RTE and their producers that are giving the presenters the material to work with or do the presenters pick what goes on? I'll leave Duffy out of this. We all know it's the callers that set the agenda there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

sligojoek wrote: »
    At the end of the day, is it RTE and their producers that are giving the presenters the material to work with or do the presenters pick what goes on? I'll leave Duffy out of this. We all know it's the callers that set the agenda there.

Get real pal ..it's the producers who call the shots ...the fcukin amount of misery emanating from RTE morning sched. is fcukin mind blowing.

Call a fcukin halt lads !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I don't understand why anyone listens to the radio.
    So, welcome to the RADIO forum... Are you lost? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

Loads of presenters do corporate gigs when not on air but obviously they are lower profile but maybe more demanding than covering for Wogan on The BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Because he's part of the elite protected overpaid d4 ites that inhabit aurte. No one is worth that kind of money.
    Also for those of yoy complaining about his 2 fm stint don't you remember that's where he started out years ago and the other 2 co presenters pulled it along well enough that it wasn't the worst show ever. However tubs doing grown up serious just comes across as insencere. Maybe rte should do a nextfactor to find a presenter wed prefer and one who'd be better value too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Don't think he has enough gravitas. If he is talking to a cancer stricken guest the next guest could be Niall Horan of One Direction and that takes away from him I feel.

Advertisement