Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's (10Dec15 ) Lidl_Rechargeable AA's too fat!!

Options
  • 10-12-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Bought the 10 pack today for €7.99. Took em home, charged 2 of them up, and the wouldn't fit either 2 X AA Maglite (batteries end to end ), and another gadget I have where the 2 AA's go alongside one another.

Brought them back and got my refund, so if you bought them I wouldn't wait until Christmas day :mad::(:mad::( to see if they fit.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just gonna say it - Are you sure you didn't need AAA? I'm not saying it's impossible for AA to be the wrong size but it's never happened to me in 30+ years of buying batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Are you sure you didn't need AAA?

I'm sure.
    I went back to Lidl with my torch, my other gadget which takes 2 AAs, and had my 2 standard Panasonic non-rechargeable AAs in the torch. Handed the rechargeables to the boss and asked him to replace my AA's with Lidl rechargeables, he couldn't. He applied a bit of force but they wouldn't go into either torch or other gadget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dohouch wrote: »
    I'm sure.
    I went back to Lidl with my torch, my other gadget which takes 2 AAs, and had my 2 standard Panasonic non-rechargeable AAs in the torch. Handed the rechargeables to the boss and asked him to replace my AA's with Lidl rechargeables, he couldn't. He applied a bit of force but they wouldn't go into either torch or other gadget.

Rechargeable batteries are always slightly bigger and don't necessarily fit every device non-charageables will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Probably explains why back in the day AA rechargeable were 1.2V.

I used to love getting my hands on a load of non-rechargeables for my remote control car! 2.4 more volts, used to go like sh1t of a shovel, as did I when my mum found out I'd stolen all the batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Rechargeable batteries are always slightly bigger and don't necessarily fit every device non-chargeables will.

It's my first time buying rechargeables, I have a new Nitecore charger for 18650 batteries, for vaping, ( takes many sizes ) and this was my reason for trying this Lidl offer.

Will have to bring gadgets along the next time I want to buy rechargeables. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rechargeable batteries are always slightly bigger and don't necessarily fit every device non-charageables will.

I have a load of rechargeable AA batteries - Lenmar and Ansmann and they fit every device I have, including a GPS handset, portable radio and camera flash. The batteries go into individual cylindrical slots in the flash and in order that they don't rattle about, it's a reasonably tight fit so if the rechargeables were even slightly fatter than standard they wouldn't fit, similar to what the OP experienced with the Maglite. I also have that torch (Maglite Mini) and the battery compartment is a very tight fit, anything remotely bigger than standard won't fit.

It's a manufacturing fault if Aldi are selling batteries that don't fit devices from established manufacturers like Maglite - no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

coylemj wrote: »
    It's a manufacturing fault if Aldi are selling batteries that don't fit devices from established manufacturers like Maglite - no excuses.
    Depends on the manufacturer.

Maglite documentation specifically tells you not to use rechargeable batteries.

There's a 1mm tolerance in the AA battery spec and in my experience maglite products may not be able to accommodate batteries at the top of this range, they're manufactured very neatly.

But by all means get a vernier calipers out and measure the batteries to see if they're outside the spec.

Advertisement