Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alloy wheel lock nuts

• 10-12-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all, I have no "key" for my wheel locking bolts. A friend of mine tried a "technique" but he rounded the bolt. I'm wondering does anybody know of someone who removes these. They may need to get something welded on to them in order to remove bolt. And if so how much should I expect to pay. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the tyre centres will have the ability to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most of the tyre centres will have the ability to remove them.

Cheers. Any idea on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

not sure on price, but they'll come across this on a weekly, if not daily, basis. I work in a car dealership and we get people in most days to try order a new key. Most tyre places will drill them out afaik.

not sure on price, but they'll come across this on a weekly, if not daily, basis. I work in a car dealership and we get people in most days to try order a new key. Most tyre places will drill them out afaik.

Cheers. I'll try around tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Go to Victory Tyres, a lot of the dealers use him when a lock nut is damaged.

He'll have to change the other three as well.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Go to Victory Tyres, a lot of the dealers use him when a lock nut is damaged.

He'll have to change the other three as well.

I was told about him.He seems to be fella for the job. I'll call to him first. Any idea on price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

No, thankfully never needed to get it done but he has a bucket of old nuts there, I saw them and we talked about them.

Edit to add, he said one of the problems with the lock nuts is that some garages and tyre places use the gun to put on the nuts, the lock nuts should only be out in by a hand tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i put mine on with air gun but follow up tightening all wheel nuts with jbar as impact gun is on its lowest setting and only nips them up.i have seen air guns on them for 5-8 secs

Ya my mate hammered an old key into the bolt and it fitted "perfectly" 😄 but couldn't turn it. He said someone must have put it on with a gun up the last

we get vws and audi cars in with tight nuts 30 inch 1/2 snap on jbar with a 6foot steel tube to loosen nuts when air gun fails.

keep on dreaming of customer with flat tyre cursing why he cant loosen his nuts with a 1 foot crap bar

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    we get vws and audi cars in with tight nuts 30 inch 1/2 snap on jbar with a 6foot steel tube to loosen nuts when air gun fails.

keep on dreaming of customer with flat tyre cursing why he cant loosen his nuts with a 1 foot crap bar

I have a vw passat !!!. No moving the nuts. I rang main dealer and was told I'd have to book it in but I need to get it done asap

mark1974 wrote: »
    I have a vw passat !!!. No moving the nuts. I rang main dealer and was told I'd have to book it in but I need to get it done asap

now that you have this problem and now fixed what are you going to do,i would say buy a big long bar with socket for extra leverage and knowing you possibly have alloy wheels which seize on hubs needing a good wire brush rub down on inside of rim and hub + a smear of copper grease to allow easy wheel change if you get a puncture.
    ever thought of compressor that plugs into working fag lighter if you have a slow puncture it saves changing at side of road and drive to tyre centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Just bang a smaller socket onto the nut with a hammer and there you go, simple fix , throw away the nut afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

How will that help ?
    They are lock nuts that need the 'special key', and the outside of the nut is designed to spin no matter what you try to hammer on around it.
    There are 'universal keys' that most Tyre places will carry. These will hammer into the existing nut pattern and if it's not overly tight should enable the lock-nut to be loosened.

Advertisement