Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damascus Cafe, Camden Street

Options
  • 10-12-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭

thinking of going here for dinner over Christmas - anyone been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

never been but hear good things about it.
    they run voucher deals frequently. check out dealpages.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Went for a birthday meal with a large group last year and they were excellent, BYOB also. I have been back since with a group of four and found them mediocre. They occasionally have belly dancers in which is very awkward as the music is very loud and you don't know what to be doing, especially for the second time it happens while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm thanks..

could not find any deals on line but you know, i find with most places that when you use a voucher its crap so i do not mind going without - its not expensive anyway...

hmm yeah i would prefer without belly dancers - but it would be an experience none the less..

I love Lebanese food - but where I live, there is only one such restaurant and they have a strict NO ALCOHOL policy; if i am going out for dinner, i like to have a glass of wine

I think we will give it a lash - it will be different and a little quirky perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Haven't been to Damascus (the restaurant) but if you like Middle Eastern Cuisine then Little Jerusalem off Rathmines Rd is good but I don't think they take bookings. I also used to go to Keshk a bit when I lived nearby - I haven't been since they moved to the bigger premises on Mespil Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Damascus Gate was traditionally OK, especially with a voucher - the food was good, and you can BYOB, but the place lacks atmosphere. So it was alright if you were a bit broke but wanted to go out, have something nice to eat but weren't that fussy about having a magical evening.

HOWEVER my sister, who likes it more than I do, went a couple weeks ago - no voucher, and a weekend night - with a party of 6 and she said it was *terrible*: the food was really, really bad. She reckoned they much have a new chef and they don't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Little Jerusalem is lovely and Keshk is really nice too though the one time I was there we were downstairs as it was a big group. If it's just the 2 of you, or 4, i'd go to Little Jerusalem, nice vibe to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Rotana is excellent too, just up the road. Byob as well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Haven't been to Damascus (the restaurant) but if you like Middle Eastern Cuisine then Little Jerusalem off Rathmines Rd is good but I don't think they take bookings. I also used to go to Keshk a bit when I lived nearby - I haven't been since they moved to the bigger premises on Mespil Rd.

+1 on Little Jerusalem, its BYOB too so always a favourite spot of mine on a Good Friday to have a meal with wine. It does get pretty packed and the tables are jammed in but the food is top notch and good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Jerusalem on Camden Street is excellent & it's BYOB (Little Jerusalem's big brother)...

http://www.jerusalemrestaurantdublin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've been a few times and service was excellent and food very good. Jerusalem and Little Jerusalem also very good. (Technically Little Jerusalem is Jerusalem's big brother as it was there first ;) )

• Advertisement

rathmines is a bit too far out for us - we are only in town for the night and staying city center.. ish.. might look into the camden st Jerusalem though..

but i just realised - middle eastern places are non christian.. so no christmassy atm.. not it would be nice - not a holy biddy by any means but we are stopping off in Dublin for the christmassy buzz.. but not in a tacky way.. something understated.. like I love Il Vicoletto - but fancied a change..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

sporina wrote: »
    middle eastern places are non christian

Lebanon is about 40% Christian.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Lebanon is about 40% Christian.

really - cool - era its not a big thing.. the place sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I love this place! The staff are so friendly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I love the food there, great selection on their dishes, and tasty. They had a mini beer tap in there too the last time I was there.

I was disappointed the last two times I was in little Jerusalem - food was different and not as good, and the last time the smell from the toilets was too strong, so we left without ordering.

Esho wrote: »
    I love the food there, great selection on their dishes, and tasty. They had a mini beer tap in there too the last time I was there.

I was disappointed the last two times I was in little Jerusalem - food was different and not as good, and the last time the smell from the toilets was too strong, so we left without ordering.

where is this that are you talking about?

sporina wrote: »
    where is this that are you talking about?

Damascus Cafe, always had a lovely evening.
    Little Jerusalem, last two times a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

the chap who runs Damascus deserves a dig, the long haired fat old angry man

the chap who runs Damascus deserves a dig, the long haired fat old angry man

Wow - that wasn't my experience.
    I went there every few months, once with my elderly father. the owner was lovely, they had a chat and he gave my father a glass of lemonade ( it was the last time my father was out before he passed as it turned out).
    My dad was delighted with the experience.

Was there a few times with mates, the owner was pleasant (without being invasive, that wrecks my head)

What happened on the night you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Esho wrote: »
    Wow - that wasn't my experience.
    I went there every few months, once with my elderly father. the owner was lovely, they had a chat and he gave my father a glass of lemonade ( it was the last time my father was out before he passed as it turned out).
    My dad was delighted with the experience.

Was there a few times with mates, the owner was pleasant (without being invasive, that wrecks my head)

What happened on the night you were there?

I'd agree with the above. I was there alone at a quiet time one afternoon and he came over for a chat and brought me a coffee on the house. i always find him very friendly without being OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I found the owner very friendly too. I wasn't delighted with the food though.

Advertisement