Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Angela's - Home Ec teaching

Options
  • 10-12-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody has any information on the teaching practice element of these courses with an elective.

When is teaching practice completed in each year of this course, and for how long?? And also, if there is a requirement to teach senior, or only senior classes during one of the teaching practice placements.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Home Ec - the only subject where it is quite impossible to get teachers! At present there is a huge shortage of HE teachers and will be for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

The course has changed this year to the BA/PME 5 year course so I'm not sure what the arrangement is now. I'm in second year of the b.Ed programme and I did 3 weeks teaching junior cycle Home Economics last year and as I'm doing it with Biology, I did Science observation.

This year I'm teaching junior cycle again, but Home Economics and Science and for 4 weeks. 3rd year for 4 weeks is senior cycle, Home Economics and Biology. 4th year is a 10 week block, comprising of a placement in a special needs school/PLC/Youthreach or equivelent.

School Placement is usually in February/March time and I think the 10 week block in 4th year is after Christmas sometime. (Have been told very little!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody has any information on the teaching practice element of these courses with an elective.

When is teaching practice completed in each year of this course, and for how long?? And also, if there is a requirement to teach senior, or only senior classes during one of the teaching practice placements.

Thanks!!!

TP for 1st years is 3 weeks during Feb/Mar.

TP for 2nd and 3rd years is 4 weeks during Feb/Mar.

Advertisement