Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I heard by from the CS Manager who gave me his email.
    HE said he'll reply on Monday. I'll be making my decision either way on Monday. CB need 10 working days to deliver bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sunny_1

I am a Greyhound customer and renewed at Christmas. Are the price changes grounds to void my contract because of their price change?
    These increases are disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Sunny_1 wrote: »
    I am a Greyhound customer and renewed at Christmas. Are the price changes grounds to void my contract because of their price change?
    These increases are disgraceful!

That's how my mam left them. They closed the account and are supposed to be refunding the portion of the original service charge that she did not use and any remaining credit that was on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got an email from greyhound with the new charges:
    €3.25 per week, 35c/kg for black bin and 23c/kg for brown bin. I am paying €17 per month at the moment :(

Thorntons are cheaper: €2 per week, 35c/kg for black bin and 20c/kg for brown bin.

Does anyone know what the red citybin company will be charging in South Dublin? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Brid Smith is running with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzKnW930qU

I emailed her about how the Greyhound pricing change affects me (€82.40 to €216.04) and she is forwarding all such emails to Simon and Enda.

brid.smith@oir.ie

I sent the same information to Simon Coveney and Aodhán Ó Ríordáin but got no response.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the red citybin company will be charging in South Dublin? Thanks

€3 per week, 30c per kg black bin, 20c per kg brown bin, green bin free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

MHP wrote: »

Thank you! Hmmmm I will need to figure out which is cheaper. I reckon our black bin is a good 30kg every two weeks. We don't have a brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Im in Donegal - just spoke to our collector (Logans)

140 yearly charge
    .35 cent per kg for black bins

Outrageous
    I put my black bin out maybe 4 times a year (4x12euro)
    Its usually quite heavy - id say 50kg waste at least

So from 48 euro to over 200 euro
    There will be war over this

Ive already heard of 1 company from NI (Derry City) who will come to Donegal and empty bins for 10 euro a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Millem wrote: »
    I got an email from greyhound with the new charges:
    €3.25 per week, 35c/kg for black bin and 23c/kg for brown bin.

I got a similar email from greyhound with the following detail:
    Service charge: €3 per week
    Black Bin: €0.35 per kg
    Brown Bin: €0.24 per kg
    Green Bin: Free

If you wish to pay your service charge upfront there is a saving of €29. This can be paid either bi-annually for a cost of €70 every six months or annually for a cost of €140 every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

degsie wrote: »
    I got a similar email from greyhound

Same here.

One paragraph in it is very interesting:
    greyhound wrote:
    We are aware that in the past you have preferred to pay your service charge annually. This option is still available but our priority is to make sure your bin continues to be collected and as a result we will move your account to the weekly option below. If in the coming weeks and months you decide that you wish to move onto an annual service charge all you need to do is contact us and we will change your plan immediately.

So the annual option is still there? Is that even legal? Are greyhound just telling porkies here?

Faulty logic there anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

unkel wrote: »
    Same here.

One paragraph in it is very interesting:

So the annual option is still there? Is that even legal? Are greyhound just telling porkies here?

Faulty logic there anyway :p

Note that they say service charge to be paid annually. They'll charge you per week to take the bins tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

MHP wrote: »

Hey, do you mind if I ask where you saw this? I'm with city bin, even after two price hikes in one year, more than doubling the initial rate! I haven't been emailed or contacted about the pay by weight charges.

A quick estimation based on weight will have my bill being triple what it is now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hey, do you mind if I ask where you saw this? I'm with city bin, even after two price hikes in one year, more than doubling the initial rate! I haven't been emailed or contacted about the pay by weight charges.

A quick estimation based on weight will have my bill being triple what it is now :eek:

Even if pay by weight wasn't coming in that was always going to happen. City bin is owned by a huge multinational company that operate in America and China. They could afford to take a hit to get lots of customers switching to them initially before raising the prices inline with competitors.

Hey, do you mind if I ask where you saw this?

If you go to the Citybin website and click the "Sign up today" button, you get the rates after you enter an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

Hi folks,

Loving the info in this thread.

I've attached a screenshot of the greyhound pay by weight is for me.

quick question...initial research shows that advanced waste and/or thorntons are cheaper for me (Dublin 24).

What is the cancellation policy with greyhound? Will they charge to take the bins back?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

spannerism wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Loving the info in this thread.

I've attached a screenshot of the greyhound pay by weight is for me.

quick question...initial research shows that advanced waste and/or thorntons are cheaper for me (Dublin 24).

What is the cancellation policy with greyhound? Will they charge to take the bins back?

Thanks

No, they don't charge to take back the bins. You may have to wait a while for them to be collected though. Took three weeks for mine.

Right now thorntons (phone lines are busted) and advanced waste (same price as thorntons) are looking like the front runners for me.

I called Panda and they seem to have this odd pricing structure.

€86 annual fee

€3.20 per lift + €0.27 per kilo for the black bin.
    €2.50 per lift + €0.16 per kilo for the brown bin

I've to do some maths on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Christ, it's worse than bloody health insurance or mobile phones - could they make it any more opaque if they tried? :mad:

Got on the phone just now to Greyhound to investigate the flyer I got offering me "Free" per month/year charges - I lasted ten minutes and still hadn't progressed from being 5th in the queue - so either their phone lines are busted as well or half of Dublin is on to them about the same thing.

I'm still considering bringing a black bag every month or two to Ringsend (€4 per bag) and the recycling to the local bring centre. The thoughts of dealing with any of these waste companies depresses me.

I was 19th caller in the queue earlier (greyhound) so I hung up.
    Will try again tomorrow.

Maybe scan the flyer in here so that we can all take a look and try for some sort of deal :)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Christ, it's worse than bloody health insurance or mobile phones - could they make it any more opaque if they tried? :mad:

Got on the phone just now to Greyhound to investigate the flyer I got offering me "Free" per month/year charges - I lasted ten minutes and still hadn't progressed from being 5th in the queue - so either their phone lines are busted as well or half of Dublin is on to them about the same thing.

I'm still considering bringing a black bag every month or two to Ringsend (€4 per bag) and the recycling to the local bring centre. The thoughts of dealing with any of these waste companies depresses me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

thorntons show me how much I used in 2015. Family of 6. 1450kg in total in black bins. Not including green bin. I dont use brown bin

Old charge = 360e flat rate. Got an online discount of 10% = 324e.

New charges 104e annual charge + 35c for black bin and 20c for brown bin.

So at current rates
    New charges = (104e + 1400 * .35c) = 611e :eek::eek:

Im going to start to use brown bin. Guess at 400kg.
    104 + (400*.20) + (1000 *.35) = 534e Thats still over 200e more a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lala_dos

Just off the phone with Greyhound.

Their customers are automatically put on the €3.25/week plan.

There are options to pay €140 annual charge in one go or €70 for six months. You must ring them to opt for the latter options. I was on hold for a fair while so had plenty of time to look through their website. It has no mention of the €140/70 options, they haven't even buried the info and are obviously hoping for customer inertia.

Also she said there are no charges associated with cancelling contract and any balance left in a/c will be refunded along with unused portion of annual charge. Getting blood from a stone comes to mind.

I hope this info is of some use to somebody.

We're a two person house and are already fussy about recycling, using brown bin etc. It's not possible for us to recycle anymore than we do already. The standing charge alone will be significantly more than our entire cost for the past 12 months. I really feel sorry for people with kids and little ones in nappies.

I think we're off to City Bins, they're marginally the best of a bad lot.

lala_dos wrote: »

There are options to pay €140 annual charge in one go or €70 for six months. You must ring them to opt for the latter options. I was on hold for a fair while so had plenty of time to look through their website. It has no mention of the €140/70 options, they haven't even buried the info and are obviously hoping for customer inertia.

Also she said there are no charges associated with cancelling contract and any balance left in a/c will be refunded along with unused portion of annual charge. Getting blood from a stone comes to mind.

We're a two person house and are already fussy about recycling, using brown bin etc. It's not possible for us to recycle anymore than we do already. The standing charge alone will be significantly more than our entire cost for the past 12 months. I really feel sorry for people with kids and little ones in nappies.

When this was initially being put forward, department of environment said 87% of houses will have reduced costs but 6 person or more households will end up paying more. Which basically means large families. Good one govt.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/explained-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-paybyweight-bin-charges-coming-into-force-34726175.html

Ive a 7 seater. Coolmine or swords recycling centre. 16e for a full car every third saturday works out at about 272 a year. Make sure everythings double bagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thorntons show me how much I used in 2015. Family of 6. 1450kg in total in black bins. Not including green bin. I dont use brown bin

Old charge = 360e flat rate. Got an online discount of 10% = 324e.

New charges 104e annual charge + 35c for black bin and 20c for brown bin.

So at current rates
    New charges = (104e + 1400 * .35c) = 611e :eek::eek:

Im going to start to use brown bin. Guess at 400kg.
    104 + (400*.20) + (1000 *.35) = 534e Thats still over 200e more a year.

I think you're underestimating how much could go in the brown bin. I've been trying to think what stuff can't go in either the brown or green bins?
    • Dirty food packaging (e.g. meat packaging)
    • Tin foil
    • Polysterene (only rarely have this)

anything else? that's really not much stuff - the bulk of our black bin weight is food waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating how much could go in the brown bin. I've been trying to think what stuff can't go in either the brown or green bins?
    • Tin foil

anything else? that's really not much stuff - the bulk of our black bin weight is food waste.

Are the composters you see in Aldi any good?

loyatemu wrote: »
    • Tin foil

you could be right I threw a complete stab at it by saying 400kg of a an annual 1400kg usage. Note We still have child in nappies which should account for 1300 of the 1400 kgs. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

lala_dos wrote: »

Yes

Greyhound are
    €140 Annual Fee (or 3.25/week = 169)
    35 Cent/Kg Black Bin
    23 Cent/Kg Brown Bin

City Bins are
    €139 Annual Fee
    30 Cent/Kg Black Bin
    20 Cent/Kg Brown Bin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

When this was initially being put forward, department of environment said 87% of houses will have reduced costs but 6 person or more households will end up paying more. Which basically means large families. Good one govt.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/explained-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-paybyweight-bin-charges-coming-into-force-34726175.html

Ive a 7 seater. Coolmine or swords recycling centre. 16e for a full car every third saturday works out at about 272 a year. Make sure everythings double bagged.
    Good luck with keeping bags for three weeks at s time. They will stink.

you could be right I threw a complete stab at it by saying 400kg of a an annual 1400kg usage. Note We still have child in nappies which should account for 1300 of the 1400 kgs. :D:D

yeah well nappies are a different kettle of (stinky) fish. Fortunately those days are behind me.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Good luck with keeping bags for three weeks at s time. They will stink.

also as I suggested further up the thread, I'd expect the dumps to start charging by weight too, otherwise they're just encouraging people to do this which is itself environmentally unfriendly.

Advertisement