Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No I think the Government will not let it bring them down, Edna does not want to be booted out over a load of rubbish. They should return to the way it is now and if people want to volunteer to switch they will be accommodated. We will then see the true charges and within a year or two word will spread that the new charges are either cheaper or more expensive per month/year.

At the end of it the companies should not be getting any extra money for taking away the exact same rubbish on the same collection days!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

I got this email from City Bin earlier:

There has been an enormous amount of confusion and misinformation around the pay-by-weight issue. Customers are upset with the new charging system and waste contractors are upset with the government. We are deeply sorry that events have unfolded in this manner, and we too are totally frustrated with the situation.

However, to try and add some clarity to the debate, please take a few minutes to read the points below. They may shed some light on the situation.
    • Nobody likes paying for the guy next door but this is exactly what has been happening with household waste collection in this country. Through the ‘flat fee’ charging system, a household producing 1.5 tonnes of waste is paying the same as the household producing 0.75 tonnes of waste. There are far too may low users currently subsidising high users and, under pay by weight, these high users cannot receive lower bills without dramatic behaviour change and this won’t happen overnight.
    • The previous minister’s statement (made a few weeks before the election) that 87% of households would see reduced bills is mathematically impossible without further subsidisation, either from the taxpayer or the waste collector. The analysis supporting this statement did not include current prices in the Dublin market. Waste collection charges in Dublin are, on average, 25% less than the rest of the country. As well as the cross subsidisation going on within Dublin through flat fee pricing, there is also cross subsidisation with customers outside Dublin. With pay-by-weight, more people outside Dublin will see their charges go down as they currently pay market rates. That’s just a fact because prices in Dublin barely reflect the fixed cost element.
    • The minimum charges per kilogram do not come near meeting the actual costs of disposal. Gate fees at disposal sites are higher than 11c per kilogram for landfill waste and the 6c per kilogram for organic materials. Although the minimum charge for the green bin has been removed from the legislation, waste collectors have to pay to get rid of recycling. The idea that waste collectors get paid for recycling is a common myth. Saying that recycling should be free is like saying that electricity generated from wind farms should be free.
    • The cost to manage your waste goes way beyond the cost of disposal. There are trucks, bins, salaries, fuel, tax, depots, administration etc. etc. The majority of this is captured by the service charge. There has always been some form of a service charge element in the pricing structure. This is not new. Under pay-by-weight the service charge is separate.
    • There are three reasons why a household’s bill could go up with pay-by-weight. The first is if the household produces more waste than the average household. The second could be if the household doesn’t currently use the green and brown bin optimally. The third is where the household may be producing average or even below average waste but are on a legacy flat fee or per lift pricing plan where this plan doesn’t cover the cost of providing the service and hence is a beneficiary of the current cross subsidisation. Pay-by-weight brings these anomalies to the fore.

As I mentioned above, the 87% claim was incorrect and unhelpful. Under pay-by-weight there is no mechanism for continued cross subsidisation. Bills will certainly go down for many households around the country and those who benefit most are those that (a) reduce the overall amount of waste they throw out through prevention and re-use, and (b) maximising their recycling efforts through proper use of the brown and green bins.

Finally, from our analysis, we believe that, on average, under the new legislation roughly one third of bills will go down, one third will stay in or around the same and one third will go up. Over time, the households whose bills initially go up will start to climb back down as they reduce output and use the three bins properly.

We have no control over this legislation and, at this point, we have no idea if it will go ahead. As soon as we have clarity on the situation we will provide you with an update. The City Bin Co. have always set their stall out on service and this is where we excel.

I personally have no sympathy. They came up with their initial waste packages. They costed it out and came in aggressively to win customers from Greyhound. Yes central Dublin seems to be cheaper overall for bin charges that other locations but they also have economies of scale, hundreds of houses in one estate rather than spaced miles apart. They have been providing this service for years at these rates so they had to be at least breaking even or they would be out of business. So to suddenly say we need that same amount as a service charge before we even pick up your bin now is ludicrous. I paid €140 as a light user last year if I paid upfront. The service charge is now €3 a week. There are other combo's of lower service charge with higher pay per weight charges but it all works out roughly the same. They can't whine that it costs more at the gate to dispose of the waste so they have to charge more but then charge €150 as a service charge along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Looks like it's going to be suspended for a year. Though those that want to switch to the new regime can do so at any time.
    Over the year, bills will be issued to show what you would have paid if on pay by weight...so so to brainwash, I mean, aclimatise people to whats coming and encourage them to change their habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its a total fudge and seems like its back to normal.....
    But fair play to Coveney for getting out of a corner that Kelly backed them into and he made it sound like he tried and tried and tried. Ultimately greed cost the operators the chance to nudge prices up

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

What I can't tell, is the ban on bag collection also being suspended or not? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Heard from GH that they are awaiting a move from the government. He didn't say what.

Anyway, I've cancelled my cancellation and will cancel my order from CB today.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Rang Greyhound this morning and told that my exsisting hold good until end of 2016.
    Am on annual contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

practice wrote: »
    Rang Greyhound this morning and told that my exsisting hold good until end of 2016.
    Am on annual contract.
    I am on a similar pay up front deal until 31/08 (unlimited lifts 199 euro for year).
    So I just called them and they will keep me on that until that date, then I will decide if I want to move or not.
    I would definitely call though, because they said they were going to switch me to the pay by weight system on 31st of June if I hadnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

MrMorooka wrote: »
    What I can't tell, is the ban on bag collection also being suspended or not? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
    This.

Anyone know??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

gmisk wrote: »
    I am on a similar pay up front deal until 31/08 (unlimited lifts 199 euro for year).
    So I just called them and they will keep me on that until that date, then I will decide if I want to move or not.
    I would definitely call though, because they said they were going to switch me to the pay by weight system on 31st of June if I hadnt.

We are on the same deal, but our contract ran out on the 26th June so we had to pay for a month of pay by lift then they'll switch us to the annual payment after the first month. Sound strange to anyone else ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ste- wrote: »
    We are on the same deal, but our contract ran out on the 26th June so we had to pay for a month of pay by lift then they'll switch us to the annual payment after the first month. Sound strange to anyone else ?
    Hmmm would it not have made sense for you to just be out of contract for 5 days....then make your own decision about what kind of contract you want? I would ring them tbh...I wouldnt be too happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I am indescribably p1ssed off with Greyhound. I finally received the very first contact from them this afternoon - an email that began by telling me that they had recently contacted me to notify me of changes to their charges. Except no, they have never contacted me about the changes.

Then they go on to say they want €69 service charge by July 1st even though I already paid a service charge up to 1st October. I understand that the legislation changes have not been down to them but they are responsible for how they handle their customer service. They really are a shoddy outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This.

Anyone know??

Bags and tags are gone from friday unless you are in a street approved for bags only.

And if you are in an approved area only your bin provider can sell you the bags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Let's say you were paying yearly for no weight charges (loads of different charges,plan's)- mine which i never paid was €199 - you are now expected to pay this again in the next few weeks but they will credit you back for what you have paid pro rata until the end of the year.

You have to tell them to do this otherwise they put you on pay by weight which Fine Gael said would only come in from January 2017 and you would have to request this.

This was on liveline today. Simon Coveney is being made a fool off.

Time to blockade Greyhound Depot -enough is enough.

Every other company -you stay on your current plan.

Any FF people on here - you will also be crucified at the next election allowing this,water charges fiasco etc. to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Another scummy move from Greyhound - who in their right mind would want move to the significantly dearer PBW plan? Its should be the other way around you should be given the choice to optin on PBW and stay on your existing plan

390234.JPG

For just the 2 of us it's nearly 170% dearer on PBW :mad:

390233.JPG

Making an absolute fool out of Coveney

Ive just challenged them on their renewal date as well as they ****ed that up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have paid my service charge to december and now they want another 70 euro! Can't get through on the phone - feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Dovies wrote: »
    I have paid my service charge to december and now they want another 70 euro! Can't get through on the phone - feckers

According to a new FAQ
    Why do I have to pay anything now – my account was not up for renewal until later in the year?

In order to accommodate freezing prices for the next 12 months from August 1st 2016 we are resetting our accounts to deal with this change from a contractual perspective. As we are giving a months’ notice for customers to make this choice we are in effect freezing prices for 13 months.

I don't understand why they just don't leave payment until the renewal data, on renewal they can calculate how how much would be due until the pay by weight will restart.

They are complicating everything for customers so much.

So basically, if your on a flat rate contract, they are setting 1st July as the new start date for your contract and are looking for the cash difference between:
    a/ the current end date of your contract
    b/ 30th June 2017

Have I that right?

jay0109 wrote: »
    So basically, if your on a flat rate contract, they are setting 1st July as the new start date for your contract and are looking for the cash difference between:
    a/ the current end date of your contract
    b/ 30th June 2017

Have I that right?

- Yes they are bringing forward their revenue stream by 6 months.

Ok, at least I understand where the demand for the extra money is coming from.
    I can live with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The email says to "make your selection online" - any one find this on the greyhound site???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

What is Greyhound's flat rate for the year ie with no pay by weight ?

Citybins is Eur206 assuming pay upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lotsoftens

banchang wrote: »

Got an email from them this evening saying "If you are choosing to stay on your existing price plan for 12 months from the 1st August 2016 please ensure you have €199.00 in your account by the 1st August." Doesn't say anything other than that about yearly cost so it must be 199 for the year same as it was last year. Surprised they didn't try and increase that charge...

banchang wrote: »

Citybins is Eur206 assuming pay upfront.

-Mine is €199 but some people are paying less and some paying more.

I just got the e-mail tonight -very unclear. No idea how to make your selection online. They say they will extend current plan to 31st July 2016. My current plan is until December 31st 2016 so that's wrong for a start.

I think I'll just go to Thornton's - sick of this crap.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The email says to "make your selection online" - any one find this on the greyhound site???

-Anybody find how to make your selection online?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Each of our bins are fitted with Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) microchips

Greyhound are indicating that ALL bins are fitted with RFID chip/card. See no evidence of this on my bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

degsie wrote: »
    Greyhound are indicating that ALL bins are fitted with RFID chip/card. See no evidence of this on my bins!

They have a chip on it, it is round in the outside of the bin under the lid on the front.

349169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

If they are the same as panda they are very small circular objects inserted near the top of the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

horse7 wrote: »
    If they are the same as panda they are very small circular objects inserted near the top of the bin.

Just checked. Unless I'm blind I dont see any 'bungs' on my bins :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Delta2113 wrote: »
    -Anybody find how to make your selection online?

No, i cant find it either, their website is a joke

Advertisement