Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Arbie wrote: »
    These were the options we got in August 2015 for DCC area:

OPTION 1: €59.95 Annual Service charge (12 month period) and pay per bin lift
    - Black - €9 per bin lift up as heavy as 25kg and then €0.33 per kg after that
    - Brown - €3.60 per bin up as heavy as 20kg and then €0.24 per kg after that
    - Green – free of charge to lift (once the service charge is paid and there are no monies owed on the account)

OPTION 2: €17.00 per month (to be paid to the account every month for 12 months) This covers the collections of your Black , Brown and Green bins with no weight limits or restrictions.

OPTION 3: €199 for 12 months service for the collections of your black, brown and green bins with no weight limits or restrictions.

We were previously paying €12 per month (no service charge, no weight charges).

Got the same e-mail. Switched to option 2 which is €5 cheaper than option 3 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I got an e-mail also from greyhound wanting €199 for 2016 - all in charge but will they try and charge more for weight from July 2016? - that has me worried.

Ok, got an answer back.
    You pay for the full year at €199. Say the new rules on weights kicks in on 1st July- you get a pro-rate credit for the unused balance on the account. In this case 50%.
    And then the new, as yet unspecified, charging scheme kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

Got the same e-mail. Switched to option 2 which is €5 cheaper than option 3 :o

other way around surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Lucky Dubliners!

I pay €23 a month for normal waste + recycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

podge018 wrote: »
    other way around surely?

Oops, my bad! :o Off to switch to plan 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ok, got an answer back.
    You pay for the full year at €199. Say the new rules on weights kicks in on 1st July- you get a pro-rate credit for the unused balance on the account. In this case 50%.
    And then the new, as yet unspecified, charging scheme kicks in.

- So you lend them 50% free of your money and at the same time you commit to unknown charges for the 2nd half of 2016 and no mention of this in the -email.

Surely this cant be legal? No idea what they will charge and your commited to a contract?

They should only offer a contract until July 1st 2016. I'm strongly thinking of just letting my contract expire on December 31st 2015 (obviously no bin service then) and then wait and see.

I presume they will then e-mail me with a new offer -possibly only by weight - I'm afraid I might be shooting myself in the foot but then again it will come in from July 1st 2016 in anyway.

I live on my own -no family and hardly have much rubbish. Along with the weight charge I'm sure they will have some kind off standing charge otherwise they are set too loose big time purely with weight.

It should never have been privatised but that's well and truly lost now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They should only offer a contract until July 1st 2016. I'm strongly thinking of just letting my contract expire on December 31st 2015 (obviously no bin service then) and then wait and see.

I presume they will then e-mail me with a new offer -possibly only by weight - I'm afraid I might be shooting myself in the foot but then again it will come in from July 1st 2016 in anyway.

I live on my own -no family and hardly have much rubbish. Along with the weight charge I'm sure they will have some kind off standing charge otherwise they are set too loose big time purely with weight.

It should never have been privatised but that's well and truly lost now.

Agree with that, Oxigen are only tying you into a contract from July 16

OXIGEN%20ANNUAL%20CONTRACT._zpsjpvapyb7.jpg

Remember Alan Kelly a Labour Minister postponed this until after the General Election. I wont forget that when I vote next year.

I'd imagine the annual charge will be at least €100 - they want at least some guaranteed income.

Will we now have to pay for the green - usually free, I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Any wheelie bin weighing scales on the market?

Must apply for a patent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

vandriver wrote: »
    Email greyhound and ask for the monthly price.I did,and its 17 a month for all bins with no weight excess.
    On a side note,are you sure about 9 and 3.60?They sound like last years prices.

My monthly charge with Greyhound is €13, no weight restrictions, no annual fee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Remember Alan Kelly a Labour Minister postponed this until after the General Election. I wont forget that when I vote next year.
    It's not much compared to the other stealth taxes over the years. The health insurance increase is way more. So please don't base your vote on the little things.

There's a certain party that have a history of buying elections and they have no TD's left in the greater Dublin area. Don't encourage them. Make it clear that you are interested in the big issues, like allowing the massive transfer of wealth that happened from the average punter to the developers and their creditors during their watch.

Or look into City Bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

This is what I can make out from oxigen info which is based on government regs so I guess this format will apply to all refuse companies but they can set their own prices.
    Minimum Term 1 year.

Ending contract early: Fee €25 plus €25 for each bin’s retrival and cleaning.

Fixed Annual Service Charge.

Plus Pay by weight charges.

Auto contract renewal unless 30 day notice received to do otherwise

They have some neck with the last one, 'auto contract renewal', what about old and vulnerable people many who won't have their eye on the ball:mad:

Yes pretty sick but the Government let them away with it. I e-mailed Greyhound 10 days ago -never bothered answering me.

Think I'll let the contract expire and let the bins fill up - probably take 2-3 months.

I've very little rubbish. Greyhound are acting as if they know nothing about what happens from July 2016.

They are trying to trap people in to a new 12 month contract - shame on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

Just had 80 euro deducted from my credit card account despite my instruction to Greyhound to move me to the 17 euro per month option last Monday. No idea why they have taken this amount.

I e-mailed Greyhound twice again and as off today still no response. As mentioned they are looking for €199 but no word on what happens after July 1st.

I just logged in to my account and instead of what I expected a €199 outstanding balance it is showing my last year amount €175. Which is correct? -who knows?

As I say think I'll leave it and let the bins pile up. I'm sure they will eventually get around to e-mailing me again when they realise I'm not a customer anymore.

bobgaf wrote: »
    Just had 80 euro deducted from my credit card account despite my instruction to Greyhound to move me to the 17 euro per month option last Monday. No idea why they have taken this amount.

- Did you have a direct debit agreement with them via Credit Card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not much compared to the other stealth taxes over the years. The health insurance increase is way more. So please don't base your vote on the little things.

Actually, sometimes it's in the little things that the incomptence, pettiness and sleeveeness most shines through. Never forget the little things. People who act like this with the little things can be relied upon to bring the same 'qualities' to the 'big things'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

"I just logged in to my account and instead of what I expected a €199 outstanding balance it is showing my last year amount €175. Which is correct? -who knows?"

- I just logged in and it is now showing €199 due. They still have not answered my e-mails going back to early December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Very happy Citybin customer. €17 for all 3 bins a month which gives you up to 42 kg of waste and they actually give a **** about their customers. Greyhound are woeful.

• Advertisement

Yes Citybin don't cover my area - from July 2016 your billing will change superg. All companies by law must charge then by weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

I top up the account by credit card ( or more correctly they do ) but I could not understand why they took 80 euro when normally the top up amount is 20 euro and I had requested a move to 17 euro per month to avoid their standing charge. At least most of the 80 euro is showing on my customer balance figure at the moment but that has only changed in the last day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Yes Citybin don't cover my area - from July 2016 your billing will change superg. All companies by law must charge then by weight.

I am paying by weight. I pay the €17 a month and they remove up to 42kgs of my waste per month so €0.40 per kg. If I go over 42kgs they charge me extra for it but I don't. They already weigh all my bins and email the breakdown each month.

Maybe I'm wrong but you wont be allowed have a 'up to 42kg' for example. You have no incentive to use less than 42kg you still pay €17 each month if bin is 10kg or 42kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭wiz569

superg wrote: »
    I am paying by weight. I pay the €17 a month and they remove up to 42kgs of my waste per month so €0.40 per kg. If I go over 42kgs they charge me extra for it but I don't. They already weigh all my bins and email the breakdown each month.

Technically speaking that's not paying by weight,that's fixed charge with a penalty for excess weight,

from July you will be charged a set rate per kilo for both landfill waste and recycled waste,the recycled waste charge will be lower to encourage recycling

I always had my green bin FREE - are we all going to be charged for green bin in addition to the black and brown bin?

No wonder Alan Kelly put this off until after the General Election -a cynical ploy that will fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭wiz569

I always had my green bin FREE - are we all going to be charged for green bin in addition to the black and brown bin?

No wonder Alan Kelly put this off until after the General Election -a cynical ploy that will fail.

According to Barna Recycling in Leitrim it will be 22cent per kg for waste and 8cent for compost & recycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Id imagine there will definitely be a service charge as well as the minimum charge.

I've heard in work that the average weight for a waste bin is about 30kg so at that rate above it would be €6.60. That's 90 cent less than we currently charge per lift of a waste bin and there is a service charge of €80 for 6 months.

It's only 90 cents of a difference but that will be a huge loss per day per truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

They make money off the recycled green and organic waste so why do we have to pay for it after July? I'm with Citybin and they don't charge for either of the recycling bins at the moment just the waste one.

I was with Greyhound previously but had terrible trouble with them re the weights their trucks were saying my bins were. My whole family did. Silly things that couldn't possibly be right like my dads green bin lift being 107kg!!! You don't pay for the green bin currently so it wasn't an issue but when I disputed the weight of one of my grey/black bins saying it had to be wrong as I physically couldn't wheel a bin as heavy as they said it was, asked them to look at all my previous bin weighs as they were all around the same (half this bin weight) but they wouldn't investigate it. Just said that's the weight the truck recorded. I pointed out all their other nonsensical lift weights but they still wouldn't budge. I would have accepted it if it was a kilo or 5 over the limit but it was double the allowed weight. They deducted the exorbitant excess charge and said they wouldn't be refunding me. So I dumped them the minute my renewal came around.

If any of you still with Greyhound have the choice to move to Citybin or anyone else do it now before the pay for weight comes in or you will regret it. You will be paying way over the odds and have no comeback. You are always wrong and they are right .. end of. That is the extent of their customer service if you are lucky enough to get through given the high volumes of calls they will be receiving with the same issue!

• Advertisement

The companies will simply put up the standing charge or price per kg - they will make sure they don't miss out.

Meanwhile the young couple starting out and having kids - nappies etc. will pay the price.

Advertisement