Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Im not with greyhound. i use the bin tag system at €12.50 per lift for a 240l black bin and €3.75 for a 240l green bin with no service charge.

I went out last week to ask the bin man how heavy my black was while they was emptying it it weighed 69.6kgs which at 35c per kilo is €24.36 nearly double what im paying currently and that doesnt include that service charge which would make the bin at over €31 to empty as its only collected bi weekly.

We have a 11 month old baby who is about half the waste at the minute.

I can only hope my waste provider isnt as steep with there prices as greyhound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

So I go from nearly €200 per year to just over €600 per year if that Greyhound pricing scheme stands.

There'll be a lot more public bins disapearing soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

van_beano wrote: »
    No word from the other bin companies about their new charges, anyone hear from Thorntons or Citybin?

City bin said mid june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I thought government mentioned 11c per kg on black bin and 6c on brown, I knew they would add some extra but not more than double on each.

New charges will nearly double for me from what I used to pay.

I was paying €17 a month for all my bins, wasn't really using the brown bin, only grass and garden, but my black bin was at average over last year 37kg every 2 weeks, if we say I could move all of it to brown bin that would be a minimum of €17 a month on per weight from Brown bin, plus another €13 for service charge, so my bins from now will be a minimum of €30 a month.

Will need to start shopping around again. Other than Thorntons does any other company does Tallaght area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

nava wrote: »
    I thought government mentioned 11c per kg on black bin and 6c on brown, I knew they would add some extra but not more than double on each.

I was paying €17 a month for all my bins, wasn't really using the brown bin, only grass and garden, but my black bin was at average over last year 37kg every 2 weeks, if we say I could move all of it to brown bin that would be a minimum of €17 a month on per weight from Brown bin, plus another €13 for service charge, so my bins from now will be a minimum of €30 a month.

Will need to start shopping around again. Other than Thorntons does any other company does Tallaght area?

If you could store the rubbish neatly then a carload to Ballymount dump would be €15 (€21 for the bigger family cars)

• Advertisement

Very smelly car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

That was the minimum amount that bin company are allowed to charge.
    They are free to set any price they want once its above the minimum charge

There was no maximum charge set so bin companys can charge what they like

jay0109 wrote: »
    Very smelly car!

I know, I suffered a split bag once in the car, the bang in the car lasted months. Went back to the wheelie bin afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DomhnallOg

With all payment systems there are going to be winners and losers especially If the government is mandating a per kilo charging system. Those with lighter residual bins will be the winners.
    The philosophy is that the service charge should cover the cost of the waste collectors' provision of the service even if a kilo isn't collected.
    Once the kilo is collected the waste company has to handle it, process it and generally send the residues for further treatment except in the case of green bin recyclables where incidentally approximately 30% is not recyclable and incurs a disposal-like cost. The big risk with incentivised charging is the potential for contamination in the cheaper bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DomhnallOg wrote: »
    With all payment systems there are going to be winners and losers especially If the government is mandating a per kilo charging system. Those with lighter residual bins will be the winners.

Please explain how anyone can be better off under the new Greyhound charging structure than under the most appropriate previous Greyhound charging structure. This is a lose lose for all Greyhound customers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Please explain how anyone can be better off under the new Greyhound charging structure than under the most appropriate previous Greyhound charging structure. This is a lose lose for all Greyhound customers.

The general consensus on this forum today is everyone's going to be paying at least double, if not more, for their waste disposal

Someone needs to ring Joe Duffy!
    Thats the only way this will be brought to a head and action taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

We currently pay a flat charge of €17 per month for all 3 bins. I just did calculations based on our bin weights from the past 12 months. Under the new system we will pay €18.42 per month, including the service charge. That's for 2 adults who are very careful at minimising and separating waste - only 3 black bins out in the past 7 months! Surely families will be paying huge prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Service Charge €3.25 per week
    Black Bin 35c per kilo
    Brown Bin 23c per kilo
    Green Bin Free

Those charges are shocking

It would be a lot more reasonable if they kept those charges but removed the weekly service charge. Then the polluter would indeed pay.

But €169 per year, without ever even putting a bin out? :rolleyes:

I currently pay €199 for the year. Family of 5. With an average two weekly grey bin of 50kg this would go up to €624, or a price increase of well over 300% :eek:

It penalises families who have kids in nappies, you could easily rack up the kg's with wet nappies. There'll probably be a suggestion to squeeze out excess urine from nappies into a sink or something before putting them on the bin!

There used to be a tax credit for bin charges (I think) back in the day, it would need to be swiftly introduced again with the alleged new pricing scheme!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm on a street in Dublin that currently uses bags. It is very narrow and the houses face directly onto the street, some with very small back yards. We would put a bag out every two or three weeks. Of course we had the strong arm visit from Greyhound threatening that we were all going to have to switch to wheelie bins.

I contacted Dublin City Council to discover that there will still be some streets where the bag system will continue due to problems with the lorries accessing narrow streets etc. The decision as to criteria for this has not been made yet, so the Greyhound reps were lying saying everyone will have to switch.

We changed to a collector called ecoway.ie - 2.50 per black bag (turquoise) and we bring our green waste to the local depot (free).

I would double check if Greyhound told me the sky was blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

van_beano wrote: »
    Be under no illusion, these new measures are going to double waste costs for people. It's definitely the "polluter pays" philosophy.

I also think, be under no illusion, this is mild compared to hikes we will see in the future. Its like everything in Ireland, once they have us, they will then milk us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm based in Tallaght and use Thorntons, why wouldn't you go with them out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

spurious wrote: »
    I'm on a street in Dublin that currently uses bags. It is very narrow and the houses face directly onto the street, some with very small back yards. We would put a bag out every two or three weeks. Of course we had the strong arm visit from Greyhound threatening that we were all going to have to switch to wheelie bins.

I contacted Dublin City Council to discover that there will still be some streets where the bag system will continue due to problems with the lorries accessing narrow streets etc. The decision as to criteria for this has not been made yet, so the Greyhound reps were lying saying everyone will have to switch.

We changed to a collector called ecoway.ie - 2.50 per black bag (turquoise) and we bring our green waste to the local depot (free).

I would double check if Greyhound told me the sky was blue.

According to this they have completed the surveys of which houses will be exempt & allowed to continue using bags.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/1000-dublin-streets-escape-new-11402329

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

curranbaz wrote: »
    According to this they have completed the surveys of which houses will be exempt & allowed to continue using bags.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/1000-dublin-streets-escape-new-11402329

Thanks for that. I knew the decision was imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

Thorntons have publicly published their prices

http://thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic/pay-by-weight/

Not much better than Greyhound but at least the service charge is a bit cheaper (€2 * 52 = €104).

Again using previous example of 30kgs black bin & 5kgs brown bin the charges work out as follows.

Black bin - 30 kgs * €0.35 = €10.50/fortnight * 26 = €273/year
    Brown bin - 5 kgs * €0.20 = €1.00/fortnight * 26 = €26/year
    Green bin - Free (whooptido!) :rolleyes:

Total for the year including service charge €403.00 so cheaper than Greyhound mainly due to the smaller service charge. Funny though that they are both charging the exact same for the black bin (over 3 times the min. price).

For comparison, I found Barna (based in West unfortunately) who are charging €265 for the same service with less customers & likely greater distances to travel between collections! Go figure! :confused:

http://www.barnarecycling.com/understanding-pay-by-weight-county-leitrim/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Unless people only put bread and other light things and put out the brown bin when it's half full then there isn't a hope of only having 5 kg in it. They are regularly 50-60kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm actually amazed how light my bins are - was on Thorntons banded weight system before so the bin has been weighed for years. Website goes back 18 months it seems.

Last compost was 3.5KG, last general waste was 6.6KG and it hasn't gone out in nearly a month; however I've had 29KG compost bins and 19KG generals at highest before. That 29KG would have been rammed full, but its a 140L.

Look to be using about 15KG of compost, 5KG general a month which works out at almost exactly what I was paying before.

I'll be ringing Greyhound so in the coming weeks to say bye bye unless their standing charge is dramatically reduced.

I wonder will the Competition Authority look into the 2 companies having the same black bin charge at 3 times the statutory limit...to paraphrase that story of Tom Gilmartin's..."will they f$%k"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

pay by weight will be a the biggest rip-off after IW , people are going to get fleeced and you will see a huge increase in illegal dumping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭wiz569

My Black bin averages at 15kg and my Brown bin at 20kg so I'll be roughly the same as I am paying now with Thorntons,including standing charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm based in Tallaght and use Thorntons, why wouldn't you go with them out of interest?

I will if cheaper, I was just asking who else cover the area, it looks like Thorntons are cheaper, I was with them couple of years ago and moved to Greyhound as was cheaper for me with no Service charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mods:
    Suggest moving this thread here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=235

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

https://www.citybin.com/signup/

€2.99 per week, €0.30 per kilo for black, €0.20 for brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

https://www.citybin.com/signup/

€2.99 per week, €0.30 per kilo for black, €0.20 for brown

That will result in 400. Euro plus costs for families , double typically what they are paying now

What a rip off

Advertisement