Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

https://www.citybin.com/signup/

€2.99 per week, €0.30 per kilo for black, €0.20 for brown

:eek:

going by our last 'bindex' (which i do love lol) black + brown for the month = 10.50 so the bloody service charge is going to cost more than the bins - we paid €170 for this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

tk123 wrote: »
    :eek:

going by our last 'bindex' (which i do love lol) black + brown for the month = 10.50 so the bloody service charge is going to cost more than the bins - we paid €170 for this year :(

Averaging out over the year it will cost me at least an extra €75 a year.

We use the brown bin a lot, so will buy a home compost bin, but the service charge of €2.99/week alone works out at about €20 a year less than this years total.

Really feel screwed by the providers and the Dept. who said that most households would benefit by the implementation of pay by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Everyone is forgetting that in the last few years it has been a race to the bottom with waste charges. I work for a big waste company and when I started in 08 it was around €400 per year for just waste and recycling. Since then there has been landfill levies brought in and cost to empty the truck has gone up. All while customer prices plummeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

And what is the worker profile in that big waste company like these days?
    In 2008 lots of middle aged Irish workers on decent wages....2016- not as many young Eastern Europeans on close to minimum wage

You must be joking. Most Irish lads wouldn't do the job back then and then were crying for work when things went tits up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Not joking at all.
    How many Paddies working the bin lorries these days v's 10 years ago? From what I see every week, very few.

I can see why this would appeal to the Bin companies...cheaper, younger labour. Less inclined to get involved in Unions (remember the Greyhound dispute from 3 years or so ago when some lorries were still going out while Irish workers on the picket tried to stop them). Plentiful supply of labour.
    So the wage costs have to have come down v's 10 years ago

honestly I can't think of any drivers that have left other than 1 or 2 who had to because they turned 65. there's more Irish drivers now than foreigners so you're wrong on that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Worked my costs out based on average over the last 3 months (greyhound vs thorntons) think they are only suppliers in D10 really.
    It will save me about 70 euro a year to move to Thorntons, only 2 people in house and we already separate out everything.

Anyone any experience with thorntons? Any more costs to join bar the weekly service charge and cost per kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

gmisk wrote: »
    Worked my costs out based on average over the last 3 months (greyhound vs thorntons) think they are only suppliers in D10 really.
    It will save me about 70 euro a year to move to Thorntons, only 2 people in house and we already separate out everything.

Anyone any experience with thorntons? Any more costs to join bar the weekly service charge and cost per kg?

With Thorntons for about 4 years now, no issues with them at all, bins are collected at the scheduled time, no missed lifts. Never had to deal with their Customer Service as never had an issue. The weekly service charge and cost per kg should be your only costs here (isn't it enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Is the weight only charged over a certain amount i.e. do you get an allowance? We have a black 140L bin (family of 5 - 1 in nappies) - the weight of our black bin is sometimes very heavy, are we going to get charged for every kg?

• Advertisement

Is the weight only charged over a certain amount i.e. do you get an allowance? We have a black 140L bin (family of 5 - 1 in nappies) - the weight of our black bin is sometimes very heavy, are we going to get charged for every kg?

No allowances, charged per kg from the very first kg. My bins full of nappies too, gonna cost a fortune. Might start toilet training the newborn now.

van_beano wrote: »
    No allowances, charged per kg from the very first kg. My bins full of nappies too, gonna cost a fortune. Might start toilet training the newborn now.

jaysus, thats going to be expensive

jaysus, thats going to be expensive

For a bin put out every fortnight weighting between 30kg to 40kg will cost between €10.50 to €14. Add then on top another €4 to that as the service charge per week (with Thorntons is €2). The normal bin you out out now between those weights cost €9.90 (with Thorntons), after July 1st it'll cost between €14.50 to €18.

Don't think nappies can be put in the brown bin for the cheaper per kg price. Have to start squeezing the child's waste out of the nappy into the toilet before dumping it in the bin.

For a bin put out every fortnight weighting between 30kg to 40kg will cost between €10.50 to €14. Add then on top another €4 to that as the service charge per week (with Thorntons is €2). The normal bin you out out now between those weights cost €9.90 (with Thorntons), after July 1st it'll cost between €14.50 to €18.

Don't think nappies can be put in the brown bin for the cheaper per kg price. Have to start squeezing the child's waste out of the nappy into the toilet before dumping it in the bin.

How could the dept of the environment (Alan Kelly) tell us that 87% of households would save money on this. I dont see how its possible for a single household in the country to actually spend less after July 1.

How this and the motor insurance hike are going unnoticed is beyond me. Water moaners were going on and on, getting put in jail over €160, clogging the airwaves with their nonsense yet here we are, probably spending a minimum of €600 extra on insurance and bins and they are not saying a thing.

Do people on welfare pay for bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't think nappies can be put in the brown bin for the cheaper per kg price.

They definitely can't.
    How could the dept of the environment (Alan Kelly) tell us that 87% of households would save money on this. I dont see how its possible for a single household in the country to actually spend less after July 1.

How this and the motor insurance hike are going unnoticed is beyond me. Water moaners were going on and on, getting put in jail over €160, clogging the airwaves with their nonsense yet here we are, probably spending a minimum of €600 extra on insurance and bins and they are not saying a thing.

Do people on welfare pay for bins?

I used the last years weights from Thornton's website and found I'll be saving 50 quid (180 from 230). I have to say I distrust the weights though - the exact same weight (to five decimal points!) is down for my green bin multiple times.

Oddly my car insurance also went down by about 60 quid when I changed insurer - existing insurer more than doubled though. It is getting a lot of media coverage and there is a protest planned for Dublin on Saturday; but because not having insurance will see you fined/imprisoned there aren't any realistic plans for non-payment protests obviously.

People on welfare in general do pay for bins but some councils have waiver schemes where they pay or part-pay for certain recipients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think all my costs are dramatically increasing.

L1011 wrote: »

I used the last years weights from Thornton's website and found I'll be saving 50 quid (180 from 230). I have to say I distrust the weights though - the exact same weight (to five decimal points!) is down for my green bin multiple times.

I think your numbers must be off here. the service charge alone is €104 per year. That would mean your bins will weigh less than 9kg every two weeks.

When did you get you renew your car insurance?

I think your numbers must be off here. the service charge alone is €104 per year. That would mean your bins will weigh less than 9kg every two weeks.

Yeah, they do. Have put a black bin out that weighed 0.5kg before for two weeks - was on a banded pay by weight scheme already with no lift charges so always put them out whether full or not.
    When did you get you renew your car insurance?

6 weeks ago.

people on welfare pay for bins?

Off topic but I pass by a number of social housing estates on my commute cycle to work and do see large piles of black bags and rubbish thrown into unused lands and then burnt off once a month or so.

Back on topic though, it amazes me that there hasn't been more noise made about this in the media etc. It's gonna cost far more than the water charges.

As for saving money on these new charges compared to the old charges, I fail to see how that is possible. For starters, with Thorntons, the yearly charge is going from €50 to €104. That's double straight away. The €9.90 lift was for a max of 40kg works outs at (rounded up) 25 cent per kg and then an additional 20 cent per kg as a penalty over 40kg. With the new charges we're going to be charged 35 cent per kg, that's 10-15 cent more than the old charges. So, with the service charge and the cost per kg significantly more expensive I fail to see how a like for like year (in terms of waste disposal) can be cheaper under the new system compared to the old system. Am I missing something very obvious here?

Yeah, they do. Have put a black bin out that weighed 0.5kg before for two weeks - was on a banded pay by weight scheme already with no lift charges so always put them out whether full or not.

If you can keep your household waste to 228kg a year, my hats off to you sir!

• Advertisement

If you can keep your household waste to 228kg a year, my hats off to you sir!

Slightly environmentally obsessed father so grew up with recycling/composting; and Maynooth was the trial area for recycling bins in Kildare so I've been doing it for maybe a decade and a half (and Thorntons take a lot more in the recycling than most).

If I could be bothered composting the more innocuous compostable stuff in the garden I could probably get it well under 150kg in total.

As for saving money on these new charges compared to the old charges, I fail to see how that is possible. For starters, with Thorntons, the yearly charge is going from €50 to €104. That's double straight away. The €9.90 lift was for a max of 40kg works outs at (rounded up) 25 cent per kg and then an additional 20 cent per kg as a penalty over 40kg. With the new charges we're going to be charged 35 cent per kg, that's 10-15 cent more than the old charges. So, with the service charge and the cost per kg significantly more expensive I fail to see how a like for like year (in terms of waste disposal) can be cheaper under the new system compared to the old system. Am I missing something very obvious here?

the service charge ranges from €104-170 per month, so its literally impossible to save money unless you live in a place rarely. We have a 140L black bin for a family of 5, so you can see that we keep it as lean as possible. Our 240L green bin is always at breaking point, so genuinely for families, this is a really bad deal. Think the penny will drop for alot of people soon and we'll see it in the news.

Slightly environmentally obsessed father so grew up with recycling/composting; and Maynooth was the trial area for recycling bins in Kildare so I've been doing it for maybe a decade and a half (and Thorntons take a lot more in the recycling than most).

If I could be bothered composting the more innocuous compostable stuff in the garden I could probably get it well under 150kg in total.

I'd say the nappies alone a year would come to well over 150kg for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

The most popular e-tag options are as follows;
    Daily Lift:
    · The service charge remains at €110 for 12 months.
    · The black bin costs €9.05 per lift, the green & brown have no extra cost.
    · Your credit/debit card is saved on the system
    · Each time your bin is lifted, the lift charge is deducted from your saved credit/debit card within 2 days of the bin lift.

2 Monthly Billing:
    · Your direct debit details must be saved on the system
    · Bills will be issued every 2 months & paid by direct debit

Prepaid Electronic Tags:
    · The black bin costs €9.35 per lift, the green & brown have no extra cost.
    · A minimum balance of €9.35 must be maintained on your account at all times to cover the lift of the black bin.
    Payment can be made over the phone, online or at An Post, payzone or paypoint

We have not been updated yet as to regards to the recycling charges come July. You will be notified as soon as we know.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What's this weekly service charge with Thorntons people are on about?

I just pay 50 quid once a year and then for my black bin lifts(don't have a brown bin).

Ush1 wrote: »
    What's this weekly service charge with Thorntons people are on about?

I just pay 50 quid once a year and then for my black bin lifts(don't have a brown bin).

The new system from July (which is replacing this system, and all there other options) has a €2 a week service charge.

horse7 wrote: »
    The most popular e-tag options are as follows;
    Daily Lift:
    · Your credit/debit card is saved on the system
    · Each time your bin is lifted, the lift charge is deducted from your saved credit/debit card within 2 days of the bin lift.

2 Monthly Billing:
    · Your direct debit details must be saved on the system
    · Bills will be issued every 2 months & paid by direct debit

Prepaid Electronic Tags:
    · The black bin costs €9.35 per lift, the green & brown have no extra cost.
    · A minimum balance of €9.35 must be maintained on your account at all times to cover the lift of the black bin.
    Payment can be made over the phone, online or at An Post, payzone or paypoint

We have not been updated yet as to regards to the recycling charges come July. You will be notified as soon as we know.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Which company is this with and are the black bins weighed (thought they have to be!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Which company is this with and are the black bins weighed (thought they have to be!)?

Seems to be a cut and paste from this post back in March

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99074052&postcount=38

Wont be valid after July 1st I wouldnt think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Panda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In Dublin, and as expected, our street is on the list that can stick with bags. No help for the elderly neighbour the Greyhound representatives lied to and frightened into signing up for three bins she cannot now store, except on the street which is not allowed.

We shall continue putting the occasional black bag out with ecoway.ie (€2.50 per bag) and bringing our recycling to the depot (free).

Advertisement